Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Vulture Culture posted:

This doesn't work with SNI. The firewall can't inspect the encrypted payload, it just does another out-of-band request to the host to figure out who the certificate is saying it is on the default vhost.

You mean without SNI? The SNI section is unencrypted in the client hello. It might be a problem if you're running a totally unpatched XP box, but you'd have far, far larger problems than missed HTTPS sessions if you allow those on your network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

keseph posted:

You mean without SNI? The SNI section is unencrypted in the client hello. It might be a problem if you're running a totally unpatched XP box, but you'd have far, far larger problems than missed HTTPS sessions if you allow those on your network.
You are correct (for the moment). TLS 1.3 encrypts the Host: header in a separate SNI handshake, and I was under the mistaken impression that it was out in the wild already.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
LastPass was bought by LogMeIn. https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastpass-joins-logmein.html/

The comments are worth looking at here. Don't think it's going over as well as they had hoped for. Can't say I'm surprised.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

LastPass was bought by LogMeIn. https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastpass-joins-logmein.html/

The comments are worth looking at here. Don't think it's going over as well as they had hoped for. Can't say I'm surprised.

Ugh... I can't picture anything good coming out of this.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Great... I love LastPass. Going to try to be optimistic and hope that this doesn't turn it to poo poo. :shobon:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dox posted:

Ugh... I can't picture anything good coming out of this.

Welp time to download my password database and start trying to use keepass and google drive/dropbox like everyone says.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Check out Dashlane. After hearing the news this morning, I installed it and am giving it a test drive. There are a ton of people at /r/sysadmin recommending it; not one downvote that I've seen so far. First impression is that it's cleaner and faster than LP - and I love(d) LP. Hopefully they will offer a promo deal to lure in LP expats.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Type LastPass Premium User : Expires in 354 days on September 28, 2016

Well, this sucks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SaltLick posted:

How in the hell do you get a new job when you have zero PTO or vacation days accrued and can only interview after 5-6PM or on weekends?

I have decided I really don't want to be here in a small business MSP and am already looking for an exit. Just hit my 60 day probationary period too.

Quite a few pages back, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I've had good luck with just telling the prospective employer that they wouldn't want me to take time off from their job to interview, but as I will definitely arrange to chat with them immediately after hours or during my lunch break.

Or you could lie about poo poo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

What do you after getting A+ certs? Just curious as I've been searching for help desk work but I don't see anything available here (NYC) :v:

Is there a next step? Thanks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Alder posted:

What do you after getting A+ certs? Just curious as I've been searching for help desk work but I don't see anything available here (NYC) :v:

Is there a next step? Thanks.

Uhh, where are you searching for stuff? Because I live on Long Island and have recruiters calling me about help desk jobs in NYC all the loving time. I just do the normal sites like DICE, Indeed etc.

E: to actually answer your question, usually it's network+/ccent/ccna/Microsoft certs are your next step depending on which way you wanna go with your career.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Uhh, where are you searching for stuff? Because I live on Long Island and have recruiters calling me about help desk jobs in NYC all the loving time. I just do the normal sites like DICE, Indeed etc.

E: to actually answer your question, usually it's network+/ccent/ccna/Microsoft certs are your next step depending on which way you wanna go with your career.

Indeed and my college's job board. It's a bit of a ghost town for me...

Thanks, will check out the next listed level then.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Alder posted:

Indeed and my college's job board. It's a bit of a ghost town for me...

Thanks, will check out the next listed level then.

Also check for Desktop Support or Desktop Technician positions, since you've got your A+.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've been offered to spend some work time on Microsoft Virtual Academy. Are there any good courses? I'm in helpdesk.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nielsm posted:

I've been offered to spend some work time on Microsoft Virtual Academy. Are there any good courses? I'm in helpdesk.

That's a pretty lovely offer considering it's a free site you could go to at any time. It's not like they're doing you a huge favor. That aside, yes there are quite a few good labs on there. Depending on what Microsoft products you work with day to day there ought to be something you could take. I know I used it quite a bit when SCCM 2012 came out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So. EMC and Dell.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

psydude posted:

So. EMC and Dell.

Sitting in a tree, M-E-R-G-I-N-G.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
67 billion dollars. Wonder how fast those vest and vmware gets emptied as their techs flee to southern tropical islands.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, can't believe they actually did it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run the gently caress away. Dell can't acquire companies in a competent fashion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They seem to have done just fine with EqualLogic and SonicWall. Although Wyse has been terrible.

I'm not sure I'd consider EMC capable of being any more terrible. My experiences with VMware support haven't been fantastic either.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

They seem to have done just fine with EqualLogic and SonicWall. Although Wyse has been terrible.

I'm not sure I'd consider EMC capable of being any more terrible. My experiences with VMware support haven't been fantastic either.

EQL support seems to have been gutted, occasionally you'll get someone in their old location somewhere up in new england that is competent, but the regular dell guys that have taken over the Tier I for them are bad.

Sonicwall is buggy garbage but maybe that was true before the acquisition.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sanchez posted:

EQL support seems to have been gutted, occasionally you'll get someone in their old location somewhere up in new england that is competent, but the regular dell guys that have taken over the Tier I for them are bad.

Sonicwall is buggy garbage but maybe that was true before the acquisition.

Trying to get support for Sonicwalls is a nightmare right now, so I guess that's the Dell merger MO.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All of my support interactions with EqualLogic and SonicWall have been better than my support interactions with EMC and VMware.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
MMmmmm, messing with a CentOS5.5 i386 server today. :smithicide:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EQL has died on the Vine. They gave up even pretending to care about it a year or two ago. Given that they couldn't even manage having two storage product lines competently I can't wait to see what they do with EMCs fifty of them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

All of my support interactions with EqualLogic and SonicWall have been better than my support interactions with EMC and VMware.

Actually I should clarify, once you have a Sonicwall person on the phone they are pretty helpful. The problem is there are like, three different support numbers in different places and only one of them actually gets you through to support.

EDIT: Also my new job has EQL stuff and we're going to get proper training on it ~sometime~ so I'm totally glad to hear it sucks :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So what virtualisation platform are people looking to migrate to? :v:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Hyper-V :suicide:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

dox posted:

Hyper-V :suicide:

Hyper-v has enormously improved over past iterations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

So. EMC and Dell.

Seems odd? We have two companies which are on the overall decline and now they're merging?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

OracleVM of course. I'm a masochist.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Already on Hyper-V, ahead of the curve!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

Seems odd? We have two companies which are on the overall decline and now they're merging?

Hey it worked for HP

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Dude, core competencies are about to get leveraged through synergy so loving hard.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

People also said that EMC would kill VMware and that obviously didn't pan out. I doubt Dell will rock the boat too much in that respect either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VMware don't really need an external company to help them die.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

My experiences with VMware support haven't been fantastic either.

I liked VMware support. I got a nice lady from Colorado and we talked about skiing, parks, tea and coffee, the weather and how VMware gives her all kinds of cool stuff for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

VMware don't really need an external company to help them die.
VMware's future is Pivotal and basically everyone there knows it. VMware has become a weird holding company for lots of great little development silos.