Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
No, that guy was Charles Guitteaux(sp?).

Jack Parsons was the rocket scientist who tried to summon demons by coming on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I gave the most recent episode with Wil Anderson a try, after hating one of his previous appearances. I don't know if he was just high or drunk or what in the episode I hated, but he was really funny in this one! I'm glad they found the SD card with this episode on it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dave gets the absolute perfect setup in the latest one. It's incredible.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rochallor posted:

I got bored a little ways into the Jack Parson episode and turned it off, and only now did I decided to go back and give it another shot. Like 30 seconds after I stopped listening originally, Aleister Crowley shows up, followed by sex magick with L. Ron Hubbard, and to top it all off, simultaneous incest/bestiality. The Forrest Gump of bad things, indeed.

This was an episode where I actually knew the story going in, so it was frustrating at times - Dave and Gary not knowing stuff is only really funny when I don't know it either - but when they start getting to the payoff? Oh man, it was glorious.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This was an episode where I actually knew the story going in, so it was frustrating at times - Dave and Gary not knowing stuff is only really funny when I don't know it either - but when they start getting to the payoff? Oh man, it was glorious.

I probably know at least part of the story going into maybe every other episode. For the Charles Guiteau ep, for instance, I knew that it ended with him shooting Garfield. But I had no idea about his crazy sex cult shenanigans and support of whichever politician looked to be most popular. I'm definitely in it for the weird stuff they manage to dig up.

They're doing a good job, too, of digging pretty deep at times; Grant's anti-Semitic order is really dipping way into the back catalog, but they still managed to wring a good half hour or so out of it,

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I loved this latest one when Dave just jumps over to "John Wilkes Booth" and Gary and Patton are both like "Wait, WHAT?"

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Oh god. Get ready for a hearty dose of disheartening and angry podcasting. It's time for the Iraq war.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rusty Kettle posted:

Oh god. Get ready for a hearty dose of disheartening and angry podcasting. It's time for the Iraq war.

Which one?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Rusty Kettle posted:

this one was a doozy and it brought back a lot of forgotten anger. gently caress what a poo poo show.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Are the Iraq war episodes like the LAPD episodes? As in "skip if you don't want to be ultra bummed".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Are the Iraq war episodes like the LAPD episodes? As in "skip if you don't want to be ultra bummed".

Wanna know how the US completely broke a country because of nepotism, blind ideology and incredible willful ignorance? And made it probably broken for decades? Cause that's what you're gonna get.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Grondoth posted:

Wanna know how the US completely broke a country because of nepotism, blind ideology and incredible willful ignorance? And made it probably broken for decades? Cause that's what you're gonna get.

It's really scary how two comedians in LA have a better and more grounded grasp on reality and politics than the people running the most powerful nation in the world.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Al-Saqr posted:

It's really scary how two comedians in LA have a better and more grounded grasp on reality and politics than the people running the most powerful nation in the world.

Well that's what a firm understanding of history will get you.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

90 depressing minutes and it still felt like they barely scratched the surface

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

oatgan posted:

90 depressing minutes and it still felt like they barely scratched the surface

Im currently 40ish minutes in and I've had to stop it a few times due to it making me so angry. This has to be the darkest Dollop.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Billy Gnosis posted:

Im currently 40ish minutes in and I've had to stop it a few times due to it making me so angry. This has to be the darkest Dollop.

I think it's a real contender for it but I didn't feel as absolutely depressingly crushed by this one as I did by Ferguson.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

PantsOptional posted:

I think it's a real contender for it but I didn't feel as absolutely depressingly crushed by this one as I did by Ferguson.

I think in my mind Ferguson, at least when I listened to it back then, it was more "there was never hope for these black Americans ".

So far in the Iraq one its been "We let someone intentionally make the wrong decisions over and over again "

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If you want to learn more about how utterly hosed up the Iraq War was (Because seriously, whatever's in the episode (I'm only partway through), it was even worse), PBS Frontline has a bunch of great episodes on the topic. "Losing Iraq" and "Bush's War" in particular are great overviews. "No End In Sight" is also an excellent documentary, and the book Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq is a great utterly enraging read.

Seriously, the decision to invade Iraq was probably the worst decision ever made by an American president and everyone involved should have been shot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that the only good thing to come out of the Iraq war, all told is that it serves as a perfect showcase for why the train of thought of Reagan-style politics, neoconservatism, and free market capitalism is completely hosed and wrong. And we should be done with that poo poo.

Unfortunately, we're not.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you want to learn more about how utterly hosed up the Iraq War was (Because seriously, whatever's in the episode (I'm only partway through), it was even worse), PBS Frontline has a bunch of great episodes on the topic. "Losing Iraq" and "Bush's War" in particular are great overviews. "No End In Sight" is also an excellent documentary, and the book Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq is a great utterly enraging read.

If you specifically want to look at the financial side of it as well, James Risen has a really accessible book called Pay Any Price which details the US mission to basically dump untold billions into a big hole at the start of the war.

quote:

Seriously, the decision to invade Iraq was probably the worst decision ever made by an American president and everyone involved should have been shot.

I liked how the episode basically ended with Dave and Garethy outright fantasizing about beating the poo poo out of George Bush. Not that they meant any of it, of course.

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?

rotinaj posted:

I think that the only good thing to come out of the Iraq war, all told is that it serves as a perfect showcase for why the train of thought of Reagan-style politics, neoconservatism, and free market capitalism is completely hosed and wrong. And we should be done with that poo poo.

Unfortunately, we're not.

I would say we already learned the lesson that Reaganomics didn't work in post-Reagan America.

Some dipshit on Twitter tried to argue that Operation Iraqi Freedom was worth all the lost lives and the unraveling of the country just to put the Husseins out of power. It's awful to have to argue that what we did was worse than Sadaam Hussein, but that's America!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

50 minutes in and this isn't fun anymore. Here's to a followup episode about fuckin' Katrina.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bozarth posted:

I would say we already learned the lesson that Reaganomics didn't work in post-Reagan America.

Some dipshit on Twitter tried to argue that Operation Iraqi Freedom was worth all the lost lives and the unraveling of the country just to put the Husseins out of power. It's awful to have to argue that what we did was worse than Sadaam Hussein, but that's America!

It's a nice thought, but the fact that these ideas keep getting brought up means that we haven't learned that lesson fully.

I'm hopeful for some nice, eighteenth-century US stupidity in the next episode. This one made me want to go give my Iraqi boss who fled all this poo poo a big ol' hug.

He might take it the wrong way, though.

Edit: Oh, by the way, did they say something during the Hugh Glass episode about the movie The Revenant? I don't know when it began production, but they're in Hollywood, maybe that's how Dave heard about the story?

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 13, 2015

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Seriously. Watching all that poo poo happen over a few years was bad enough. Hearing it all in 90 minutes was just insanely depressing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

stealie72 posted:

Seriously. Watching all that poo poo happen over a few years was bad enough. Hearing it all in 90 minutes was just insanely depressing.

More depressing than actually watching it at the time, as I was unaware how many chances they had to prove me wrong and not force the country into utter loving chaos.

The entire time period from 9/11 through the economic crash is going to be an interesting one to explain to the kids in the future.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
catching up with the Dollop, still haven't listened to all the live eps since I'm not as much of a fan of live eps but the other episodes seem pretty cool so far. It's just too bad the Dollop guys are such conventional LA standup guys cuz at the end of the day some of their comedic podcast riffs are more likely to hit a dead end while they exercise some cliche like "RETARDED GUY VOICE LOL" or "MIKE TYSON VOICE", etc. Lot more misses than most of the humor podcasts I usually tolerate, but still decent.

Loved the Scotsman on America schtick though, Gary's definitely read Trainspotting, they need to do a Scottish American history episode.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 14, 2015

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The episode that came out today about the Yankee Pitchers was a great palate cleanser after the Iraq War. Too bad it was a Smollop.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I was amazed how much material there was on 'these two dudes wanted to gently caress each other's wives' but it just kept coming.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

I am currently on a Dollop Binge after discovering the Boston Corbett episode (which I have listened to twice). I have a huge backlog of my other podcasts because the insanity of history is so god drat fascinating, hilarious, and depressing (see: Iraq War episode).

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I was listening to a really old episode (I think it was Leatherman?) and Dave mentioned that he was putting together material for an Iraq War ep. This was back at like episode 23.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
How long did grover estimate the episode would take?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

I was listening to a really old episode (I think it was Leatherman?) and Dave mentioned that he was putting together material for an Iraq War ep. This was back at like episode 23.

The Leatherman rules. My local library has a portrait of him hanging prominently on the first floor.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I'm not sure what I liked more in the last podcast: Wil Anderson's bizarre Russian accent, or his preoccupation with how 'successful' the tours were despite the terribleness surrounding them.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I watched Proect Nim about a year ago and have waited for the Dollop on this ever since. Great episode.

Really reccommend watching the documentary, it has a ton of footage shot throughout Nim's life.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Illinois Smith posted:

I watched Proect Nim about a year ago and have waited for the Dollop on this ever since. Great episode.

Really reccommend watching the documentary, it has a ton of footage shot throughout Nim's life.

I'd be rather pleased if Gary did an animal-historical Dollop every few months.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Have any of you listened to Point vs. Point? I'm downloading a bunch of episodes and I'm just curious what you all think.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think Jose may be my favorite addition to recent Dollops.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think Jose may be my favorite addition to recent Dollops.

"Welp, Jose just did a backflip".

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

DangerDummy! posted:

Have any of you listened to Point vs. Point? I'm downloading a bunch of episodes and I'm just curious what you all think.

It's great. Be aware that there are many running jokes so it benefits listening from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I love when they do Irish accents and that they always find a reason to do Irish accents.