Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why does your desire to own more toys trump parents who don't want their children slaughtered at school?

Is this a serious argument? This sounds like an ironic post in a rowdy trout gunthread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think I'm saying that if people back off trying to ban certain accessories that will somehow bring the NRA around to giving ground. It won't. At all. I'm saying it's a dumb waste of time and energy because you're not going to get anything out of it.

These are kind of my feelings on it. Seems like a waste of political capital to target inconsequential things like that while Psycho Sam can still easily obtain a weapon suitable to commit a mass shooting with anyway.

And I know someone's gonna say "Huh well I guess we can only work on one thing at a time ever then, huh!!?!?" but I feel like enacting feel-good fake gun control legislation is a big waste of time and makes gun control advocates look kinda dumb when they like pat themselves on the back for it like they've actually accomplished something meaningful. Then everyone dusts off their hands and forgets about doing anything for a few years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So glad we're back to gun chat. Could anyone do me a solid and PM me when it's over? I like reading about US politics in the USPol thread.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If the NRA thinks that increased spending on mental health is the way to go, why don't they grade any of the votes to overturn the ACA?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Relaxed rules on silencers/short barreled rifles/etc. Maybe stopping stupid import rules like not being able to import a barrel. Maybe admitting that pursuing a features ban is dumb as gently caress and doesn't affect crime whatsoever.
So any barrier to obtaining a gun, even if it will have no effect on the type toys you're able to purchase requires a blanket "you may buy everything" concession?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

various cheeses posted:

Is this a serious argument? This sounds like an ironic post in a rowdy trout gunthread.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao you are completely insane

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Relaxed rules on silencers/short barreled rifles/etc. Maybe stopping stupid import rules like not being able to import a barrel. Maybe admitting that pursuing a features ban is dumb as gently caress and doesn't affect crime whatsoever.

And what do you think groups like the NRA would offer for this since your whole point is we need to horse trade and play the game like you're downs syndrome Frank Underwood.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why are gun owners too stupid to wear hearing protection? :confused:

Doesn't necessarily have to do with my hearing protection. I am legally allowed to shoot in my backyard. I don't, out of courtesy to my neighbors, because it's loud as hell for them. State law specifically exempts target shooting from noise ordinances, so again, I can if I want to, but I don't want to without a suppressor because I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

And suppressors are classified as firearms by the USC, that's why you have to pay the NFA tax and wait 4-12 months for the ATF to background check you. Would you be okay with having to pay a $200 tax and wait up to a year for a background check to allow people to vote?

As for straw purchases, we can start by prosecuting the 10s of thousands of slam dunk federal felonies a year that occur from people lying on their form 4473 and then get denied in their NICS checks, and on top of that, reform NICS to make sure that reporting agencies are actually entering things correctly I tot he system. There are at least 4 mass shootings in the last 10 years, Virginia Tech and Aurora included, that wouldn't have happened had agencies actually reported to NICS properly.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SumYungGui posted:

So glad we're back to gun chat. Could anyone do me a solid and PM me when it's over? I like reading about US politics in the USPol thread.

Seriously, for christ's sake gunchat is the worst.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Why do you need all of these things?

Why are you so afraid of them?

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's your irrational phobia that you use to justify hiding a gun on you in public and at your boring office job?

What's your irrational phobia of the gun bogeyman? Or is it just more Tezzorposting about "grr I hate these people who DARED to own guns and are also different than me"?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

various cheeses posted:

Why do you need a silencer/short barreled rifle et all?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

hrm yeah sounds good to me

here's the thing, at this point guns should be banned just to spite gun owners, literally regardless of real world dangers. that's how bad gun owners are

No wait, you were so close to educating us about silencers!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The reasonable carrot that should be offered to gun owners is to appoint a supreme court justice who will reverse Heller, so that it no longer becomes necessary to nationalize every type of gun law and end the attempt of gun nuts to export their madness everywhere, and then we can have Alabama have restrictions that are reasonable for Alabama and Alabamians (provided that it stays there, for example, dealing with gun stores that just happen to consistently sell guns that wind up being shipped around illegally) without having those restrictions identical to those in New York City, for example.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

various cheeses posted:

hrm, how about .... no, gently caress you?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CommanderApaul posted:

Doesn't necessarily have to do with my hearing protection. I am legally allowed to shoot in my backyard. I don't, out of courtesy to my neighbors, because it's loud as hell for them. State law specifically exempts target shooting from noise ordinances, so again, I can if I want to, but I don't want to without a suppressor because I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

And suppressors are classified as firearms by the USC, that's why you have to pay the NFA tax and wait 4-12 months for the ATF to background check you. Would you be okay with having to pay a $200 tax and wait up to a year for a background check to allow people to vote?

"I legally can shoot literally anywhere I want but I choose not to to not be a huge piece of poo poo so basically I'm being disenfranchised"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lol they deleted all the posts in TFR

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

this_is_hard posted:

Open carry is quite possibly the most pathetic thing ever. The only times I ever see people open carry anyway are at some lovely mall or big box store.

It's always some pasty, skinny white kid wearing sneans too.

It's all fat old men where I live. There's a coffee shop I used to go to and every day a drat grey haired doctor or nurse in scrubs would come in open carrying.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

. Would you be okay with having to pay a $200 tax and wait up to a year for a background check to allow people to vote?

Ayyy lmao

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I don't actually support banning silencers, I think it's a pointless ban of a useless accessory. But thats kind of the thing here. Supposedly reasonable gun owners are fixating on this and somehow not actually supporting reform. Why is it that when gun control shows up in D&D the TFR crowd shows up to mock dumb poo poo and not post about the actual reforms they think would fix the problems?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

:lol:

Considering you have neighbors, maybe you should hold off on firing guns in your backyard for other reasons than 'it's loud.'

also of course target shooting is exempt from noise ordinances. gun owners are children.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommanderApaul posted:

i, too, compare my dumb toy to the right to vote, because i am a manchild who thinks my Nintendo is a vital civic right

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

I can't ejaculate without them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YodaTFK posted:

I don't actually support banning silencers, I think it's a pointless ban of a useless accessory. But thats kind of the thing here. Supposedly reasonable gun owners are fixating on this and somehow not actually supporting reform. Why is it that when gun control shows up in D&D the TFR crowd shows up to mock dumb poo poo and not post about the actual reforms they think would fix the problems?

Because they don't want any reforms, they want removal of the laws already on book and nothing else.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The reasonable carrot that should be offered to gun owners is to appoint a supreme court justice who will reverse Heller, so that it no longer becomes necessary to nationalize every type of gun law and end the attempt of gun nuts to export their madness everywhere, and then we can have Alabama have restrictions that are reasonable for Alabama and Alabamians (provided that it stays there, for example, dealing with gun stores that just happen to consistently sell guns that wind up being shipped around illegally) without having those restrictions identical to those in New York City, for example.

hmm i have a faster way but i'm going to need the gun version of james buchanan, john brown, jeff davis, and abraham lincoln

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder what other topics we should "horse trade" over even if 90% of Americans want a policy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I know mental health is important, but I'm still unsure how expanding mental health services is going to "reduce gun violence". Hell I don't even know what extending mental health in american even means. More psychiatrists? Have doctors throw pills at you? Therapy? What is it exactly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

I wonder what other topics we should "horse trade" over even if 90% of Americans want a policy.

The NRA and other groups have proven time and time again that they legitimately do not care how many people support it. The bullshit 'maybe YOU should give up some things too' is just the pussy version of saying 'I don't want any new laws but I want old laws removed instead'.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Look, in exchange for making it slightly more difficult for those with mental illnesses or criminal records to commit mass murder on a literal weekly basis, I want my model train collection to be asdgjlasdk;gjda

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

evilweasel posted:

i, too, compare my dumb toy to the right to vote, because i am a manchild who thinks my Nintendo is a vital civic right

There's a constitutional amendment that protects gun ownership, there isn't one that protects voting rights, so yes, it's an applies and oranges comparison. Voting rights aren't a civil right per the constitution, gun ownership is.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mr. Wookums posted:

So any barrier to obtaining a gun, even if it will have no effect on the type toys you're able to purchase requires a blanket "you may buy everything" concession?

A good start would be actually enforcing the laws and improving the background checks. Dumbshits like Dylan Roof and Aurora theatre guy should have never been allowed to buy guns. Better reporting of mental health poo poo and forcing states to report things to the NICS system would be great too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can you believe the federal government is eroding our rights to firearms with the recent passing of such laws as ______________ and _______________? In order for them to pass more we need more rights!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

No wait, you were so close to educating us about silencers!

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/gun-silencers-dont-make-them-anywhere-near-silent/

quote:

That’s actually pretty significant considering the decibel system is a logarithmic scale; so, for example, 200 dB is 1000 times louder than 100 dB, not double, and a reduction of 40 dB is more like 1/100th of the original sound. However, for most commercially available fire arms and cartridges, this ends up only reducing the noise level to somewhere in the range of 130-150-ish dB for a supersonic cartridge and 117-130-ish dB for a subsonic cartridge. For reference on just how loud that is, an ambulance or police siren is typically between 100-140 dB. So this isn’t exactly the “whoosh” sound Hollywood depicts. Given that hearing loss can occur as low as 85 dB, it’s typically recommended that even with a silencer on a fire arm, that the shooter still wears some sort of hearing protection.

immediate hearing loss threshold is usually given as around 120dB, so uh, ahahahaha stop posting you literal brain damaged retard

like someone else posted, i guess too many loud noises takes a toll on a person

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Veskit posted:

I know mental health is important, but I'm still unsure how expanding mental health services is going to "reduce gun violence". Hell I don't even know what extending mental health in american even means. More psychiatrists? Have doctors throw pills at you? Therapy? What is it exactly.

No see, as a person with Depression I'm a ticking time bomb that must be monitored and heavily medicated for the safety of others.

A GUN registry?! WHAT THE gently caress MAN ARE YOU HITLER OR SOMETHING?!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a constitutional amendment that protects gun ownership, there isn't one that protects voting rights, so yes, it's an applies and oranges comparison. Voting rights aren't a civil right per the constitution, gun ownership is.

are you sure about that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

A good start would be actually enforcing the laws and improving the background checks. Dumbshits like Dylan Roof and Aurora theatre guy should have never been allowed to buy guns. Better reporting of mental health poo poo and forcing states to report things to the NICS system would be great too.

Hey you never answered, in exchange for removing some laws what do you feel the NRA and similar groups would allow for gun control laws in return?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

A. there are
B. the 2nd amendment is no longer valid for the situation it was drafted in and should be repealed
C. lmao gently caress you

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommanderApaul posted:

If you were smarter, you'd make the connection that you didn't need a gun at all.

I must have missed all those times where somebody voted into a school and killed dozens of people

CommanderApaul posted:

Ownership of weapons of any sort is in the constitution, not "I should be able to have any guns I want with any accessories I want".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

I have a Jim Crow era text book that reads just like this post.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Why were they so heavily restricted in the first place? Why the arbitrary barrel length?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey you never answered, in exchange for removing some laws what do you feel the NRA and similar groups would allow for gun control laws in return?

The AWB expired what did we get for that?

• Locked thread