Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

If we ban all guns what are we gonna use to murder the gun owners you genius?

Arugula, I think? Dijon mustard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

So again, given the logic for blaming Chicago's gun violence on "neighboring states," how to you deal with guns coming in from other countries?

amergin's trolling so hard he's getting confused about the difference between internal and national borders

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

amergin's trolling so hard he's getting confused about the difference between internal and national borders

I think it's real hosed up America hasn't made some laws to fix Mexico by now

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Here's how you unfuck the system: stop listening to gun owners, ever. There's no room for compromise with gun fanboys, who already have everything. There is nothing more to give them.

See this makes you sound pretty nuts and is 100% the reason why the line has been drawn in the sand.

if you get your panties in a twist because people were mean to you on the internet you probably shouldn't own a gun imo lest you become a self-freedoming statistic

actually, no, own as many guns as you want. keep one under your pillow. you can never be safe enough

Nice "u mad" post. I'm not especially mad. Also a gun would make my pillow lumpy.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
<See several new pages>

Oh something interesting must have happened!

<Skims several pages of another loving gun argument>

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

various cheeses posted:

If the parties flip flopped on gun control I'd never vote for a republican again. Unfuck your party and maybe I'll consider giving them my votes again.

I simply cannot understand how this one stupid issue is the driving force behind your vote. There must be something better? Anything at all?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

and in addition my last post quoted saying silenced guns average at 140dB as well, so, uh, try again. or actually, please don't and scurry back off to your manchild posting ghetto

read the last few pages of this thread to find out why

a) that's not OSHA, my source was and b) 120db *can* cause hearing loss immediately *after* prior exposure that day. Some shorter/lighter suppressors intended primarily for combat versus range use are just under the 140db threshold, most aren't. Don't know where you got your "average" from. Try again.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Single-issue gun legislation voters seem like the most paranoid people around.

"Well I agree the GOP is bugfuck insane and terrible for this country but... my guns. My guns, guys. What if I need a gun and can't get one? What then? This obviously supersedes any and all other issues."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

See this makes you sound pretty nuts and is 100% the reason why the line has been drawn in the sand.

Nice "u mad" post. I'm not especially mad. Also a gun would make my pillow lumpy.

Hey dude did you ever answer why you think the NRA would support background check expansions despite constantly opposing it before, if only we just made silencers easier to get?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

various cheeses posted:

"Only a lunatic would oppose my hobby in favor of helping the poor and sick" - something you think is a rational thought.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

various cheeses posted:

Ah yes, because fishmech said something, more children get the pleasure of dying at the end of an unregulated gun.

Hurray!

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

various cheeses posted:

If the parties flip flopped on gun control I'd never vote for a republican again. Unfuck your party and maybe I'll consider giving them my votes again.

Except "gun control" has devolved to include supporting any laws that fund or expand background checks, something you claim to want.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Monkey Fracas posted:

Single-issue gun legislation voters seem like the most paranoid people around.

"Well I agree the GOP is bugfuck insane and terrible for this country but... my guns. My guns, guys. What if I need a gun and can't get one? What then? This obviously supersedes any and all other issues."

I mean it's easy when you're a bloc made mainly up of middle class straight white dudes, not like much of the GOP is gonna hurt you there.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Well if the idea is that we have a demand in this country for guns and we limit the supply within this country's borders, why do you think illegal gun trafficking wouldn't shift to mostly international?

And again, the liberal response is "regulate it!" (because federal regulations get followed so well - see marijuana). So... regulate Mexico?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

various cheeses posted:

once gun nuts blocked universal background checks it became obvious there is no point in considering your opinions about anything because we know what they are, no matter what: "that gun regulation goes too far, I disagree with it"

"its a regulation to ban giving guns to children under three who are drunk"

"well, what if my toddler grabs a beer and drinks it while i'm not looking, then grabs my gun! i could be a criminal! fix that, and maybe we'll talk, but that regulation Goes Too Far. i'm reasonable and support common-sense restrictions but that's just not common sense!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Arugula, I think? Dijon mustard?

I'm sorry the correct answer was guillotines.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amergin posted:

Well if the idea is that we have a demand in this country for guns and we limit the supply within this country's borders, why do you think illegal gun trafficking wouldn't shift to mostly international?

And again, the liberal response is "regulate it!" (because federal regulations get followed so well - see marijuana). So... regulate Mexico?

oh so there must be countless guns flooding into other western nations that have gun control such that they have similar levels of firearms ownership and gun violence

they don't, you say? well, uh...

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Amergin posted:

You can literally grow weed in your basement. You cannot grow a gun in your basement. Keep trying, Amergin!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it became obvious there is no point in considering your opinions about anything

But no, keep going about how conservatives are the wingnuts who refuse to negotiate.

EDIT:

evilweasel posted:

oh so there must be countless guns flooding into other western nations that have gun control such that they have similar levels of firearms ownership and gun violence

they don't, you say? well, uh...

You do realize Central America is a gang-filled shitshow right now, right? I mean, that IS why liberals cry about how we need to accept all their illegal immigrants...

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

greatn posted:

I'm sorry the correct answer was guillotines.

:perfect:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Won't someone think of Chicago?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey dude did you ever answer why you think the NRA would support background check expansions despite constantly opposing it before, if only we just made silencers easier to get?

I don't know man. I'm not a member of the NRA shadow cabal pulling the strings on Washington. I'm just telling you what I think would be nice.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this_is_hard posted:

You can literally grow weed in your basement. You cannot grow a gun in your basement. Keep trying, Amergin!

no but see, you can make a zip gun which is exactly the same as a well-made semiautomatic handgun you can buy anywhere and buy a virtually infinite number of bullets for, so you can make guns in your basement and regulations will do nothing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

But no, keep going about how conservatives are the wingnuts who refuse to negotiate.

"We've blocked every single bit of possible regulation you've tried with all our might for decades."

"Well...gently caress you then?"

"Woah woah woah, and I'M the one making things hard, huh??"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amergin posted:

you are

you're wingnuts who refuse to negotiate and we spent a decade trying

so, we've recognized reality, and realized we should shut you in the loony bin instead of listening to "no but seriously i support reasonable restrictions, just not the one you wrote based on the exact thing I said last time, that ones out, try again" for the eighth time

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"We've blocked every single bit of possible regulation you've tried with all our might for decades."

"Well...gently caress you then?"

"Woah woah woah, and I'M the one making things hard, huh??"

"You were mean first therefore I refuse to negotiate!" said a 5 year old, probably.

Meanwhile you still don't get your regulation and people keep dying so... congrats on the "gently caress you, then?"

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

no but see, you can make a zip gun which is exactly the same as a well-made semiautomatic handgun you can buy anywhere and buy a virtually infinite number of bullets for, so you can make guns in your basement and regulations will do nothing

Biker gangs in Australia make full auto submachine guns out of pot metal in basements, so yeah I guess?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guys look, these countries we spent 50 years supporting armed rebels, military dictatorships, and drug kingpins throughout their nations or their neighbors have problems with violent crime!

Ergo, gun regulations can't work!

Also, those countries have problems with environmental crimes, ergo oil regulations can't work!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
My compromise proposal: you can buy as many guns as you want, but each time you purchase a gun or ammo you are required to shoot yourself in an extremity or the crotch.

various cheeses posted:

Biker gangs in Australia make full auto submachine guns out of pot metal in basements, so yeah I guess?

So what you're saying is: there's no reason to not ban gun sales, since if you really need one you can make your own? I agree!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
TBH I don't look at guns as being very special, I know plenty (most?) gunner types do though. They're no different than anything else you should be allowed to do, motherfuck the people who worry about the "what ifs" that you haven't committed yet.

It's fun to go fish for the very special tears that gun control produces here for whatever reason. Reminds me of my days posting on more conservative boards with anti-regulation arguments about whatever bugbears social cons go off over these days.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

you are

you're wingnuts who refuse to negotiate and we spent a decade trying

so, we've recognized reality, and realized we should shut you in the loony bin instead of listening to "no but seriously i support reasonable restrictions, just not the one you wrote based on the exact thing I said last time, that ones out, try again" for the eighth time

A decade trying to what? Just shove more regulation down everyone's throats? Then you throw a huge tantrum when your opposition doesn't roll over for you, well done.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

various cheeses posted:

And the cartels have made their own tanks and submarines, better legalize the unregulated ownership and sales of those too!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

various cheeses posted:

I'll take their firearm homicide rate. Let's ban guns and let people make their lovely machine guns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

I don't know man. I'm not a member of the NRA shadow cabal pulling the strings on Washington. I'm just telling you what I think would be nice.

Cool, you think it'd be nice, but we're talking about actual political reality in this country and your plan seems to be 'give them everything and then we'll pretend to be surprised when they give us nothing' and then you're getting pissy at everyone else for not being logical and reasonable.

The gun lobby in this country runs 100% on blocking ANYTHING resembling ANY level of gun control, to the point where in 2012 they were sending out mailers saying 'ok we said Obama was gonna take your guns in 08 but he didn't...BUT HE STILL IS GONNA DO IT' and they have stood in the way of basic poo poo like healthcare expansion because it involved, as part of consulting, a doctor asking if someone who has major depression or something if they have weapons in the house. You know, that 'mental health' focus you guys keep talking about, but then blocked.

What more can we give up, what's the magic cheat code to make the NRA goblin leave the treasure chest, why is it whenever this thread or threads like it get the TFR invasion there's no actual alternatives presented but instead just a bunch of smug 'heh scary guns rite' poo poo? Why is it that this country is just apparently destined to be the only developed nation where gun violence is just a daily reality, but somehow it's our fault for saying maybe you don't need a gun in church?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
there's no meaningful difference between "I agree with you on every other issue but I support republicans/don't vote because of guns" and "I'm a tea party true believer kill all gay atheist muslams"
inadequate medical care, coal-fired power plants and anthropogenic global warming kill more people than gun control ever could

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

various cheeses posted:

interesting, i guess australia has the same level of firearm deaths to the united states then because it is possible for well-organized criminal gangs to do something with great effort which is the same as some idiot going to the store and buying it

hmm

it's less than a tenth of the per-capita deaths of the united states, you say

how odd i guess the biker gangs are not as efficient as a well-developed national industry that is supported by a dedicated cadre of loyal lunatics

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

My compromise proposal: you can buy as many guns as you want, but each time you purchase a gun or ammo you are required to shoot yourself in an extremity or the crotch.

:agreed: statistically they're more likely to anyway, so it might as well be codified.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

A decade trying to what? Just shove more regulation down everyone's throats? Then you throw a huge tantrum when your opposition doesn't roll over for you, well done.

Please, tell us what regulations you'd be ok with.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Guys, we can maaaaaybe try improved background checks as long as I can get a naval gun to protect my property. I won't settle for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

various cheeses posted:

recognizing that you are the implacable opposition and a nutjob and are not worth trying to include in a coalition is not a tantrum

if you want to see a tantrum ask one of your friends if he really needs a thirty-round magazine for his semiautomatic hunting rifle that totally isn't for playing Military Hero Dressup

you should probably wear ear protection or shove a suppressor in his mouth or you might suffer hearing damage though

• Locked thread