Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
How are Infiniti G37s for reliability? I see a lot of love for how much fun they are to drive, and I think they look good and are nice at the price. I'm specifically looking at 2012 models as those tend to be in my price range. I would also consider a used Acura TL, though I know less about those.

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Handen posted:

Proposed Budget: $5000 +/- ~$1000 CDN (I live in CANADA so that probably translates to $4000 USD right now :canada:)
New or Used: Used, mid 2000s. Need to be able to purchase outright, no leases. (When recommending a car, please note any common problems specific to that car that I should be concerned about when buying used through a private sale.)
Body Style: 4 door sedan or sport-sedan. Hatchback = no.
How will you be using the car?: Business and pleasure. I'll be putting 5000km/month on it, all inner city. It needs to run, and it might as well be fun.

That's $3,800 dude. You may want to focus on just getting a car that runs reliably... I think there's a big mismatch here between like... your expectations, and what could reasonably occur given your budget...

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 9, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Suggestions on where to get a loan from? I've generally gotten from the dealer and last time I got a pretty good rate, but I'm assuming I should be talking to by bank/a credit unions as well?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Triikan posted:

I currently have a 2010 Mazda3 base model sedan (well, I have A/C). I've now been hit three times and have received payouts equal to more than the value of the car (only fixed mechanical damages). I like my car, but I'm thinking of getting a 2010-2012 Mazdaspeed3. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

It will cost you considerably more than your regular 3 to maintain - it will suck down more gas (premium at that), burn through (more expensive) tires quicker, and you run a risk of the occasional stupid MS3-only bullshit failure... though that may have been mostly a "feature" of the '07 I had.

But Mazda literally built that car out of compressed tree-hunting fun. It's awesome.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Suggestions on where to get a loan from? I've generally gotten from the dealer and last time I got a pretty good rate, but I'm assuming I should be talking to by bank/a credit unions as well?

Yeah, check out credit unions. Not always competitive with dealer incentives but usually much better than banks.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking about trading in my 2009 Camry. 72k miles, overall great condition (I've taken very good care of the car, regular maintence every 5,000 miles, etc). Hoping to get $7-8k for it. The car right now needs some stuff done to it before before I'd feel comfortable making it through the winter. Notably, it needs its 70k mile maintenance done, would likely need 2 front tires before the winter is out, and the brakes are getting a little low. This would add up to over $1000 worth of routine maintenance that needs to be done. Therefore, I am considering trading it in now while its value is decent before I put a bunch of money into it and would feel like I should drive it at least another year before I consider trading it in. This may be faulty reasoning - if it sounds dumb, feel free to just tell me.

I should note that I've never traded in a car before, so I don't know if what I am asking here is unreasonable or unrealistic.

Proposed Budget: Could finance another 10-13k easily, would probably put 5k of this down and finance the rest over a couple years, if I didn't like the interest rate offered I would probably just take it out the door cash. Would prefer that the total cost of the car is not over $20k as a max. More comfortable around the $17-18k range.
New or Used: Used, looking at anywhere around 2013-2014.
Body Style: 4 door sedan, ideally.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting. I drive about 12-13 miles in heavy stop and go traffic which takes me about 40-45 minutes on the regular.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG and size. I am quite tall, so one of my main reasons for buying the Camry is that I can actually stretch my legs out most of the way while driving. The other is fuel efficiency. Right now I get about 21-23mpg on the Camry, if I traded up to some sort of Hybrid I would probably get closer to 40-42mpg based on my early research.

Some cars that have been recommended to me by my friends who are "car people" are a Prius V (looks too small for me at first glance), a Camry Hybrid (someone specifically recommended the 2014.5), a Focus Hybrid, or a Chevy Cruze (Diesel).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DM Zero posted:

Thinking about trading in my 2009 Camry. 72k miles, overall great condition (I've taken very good care of the car, regular maintence every 5,000 miles, etc). Hoping to get $7-8k for it. The car right now needs some stuff done to it before before I'd feel comfortable making it through the winter. Notably, it needs its 70k mile maintenance done, would likely need 2 front tires before the winter is out, and the brakes are getting a little low. This would add up to over $1000 worth of routine maintenance that needs to be done. Therefore, I am considering trading it in now while its value is decent before I put a bunch of money into it and would feel like I should drive it at least another year before I consider trading it in. This may be faulty reasoning - if it sounds dumb, feel free to just tell me.

I should note that I've never traded in a car before, so I don't know if what I am asking here is unreasonable or unrealistic.

Proposed Budget: Could finance another 10-13k easily, would probably put 5k of this down and finance the rest over a couple years, if I didn't like the interest rate offered I would probably just take it out the door cash. Would prefer that the total cost of the car is not over $20k as a max. More comfortable around the $17-18k range.
New or Used: Used, looking at anywhere around 2013-2014.
Body Style: 4 door sedan, ideally.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting. I drive about 12-13 miles in heavy stop and go traffic which takes me about 40-45 minutes on the regular.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG and size. I am quite tall, so one of my main reasons for buying the Camry is that I can actually stretch my legs out most of the way while driving. The other is fuel efficiency. Right now I get about 21-23mpg on the Camry, if I traded up to some sort of Hybrid I would probably get closer to 40-42mpg based on my early research.

Some cars that have been recommended to me by my friends who are "car people" are a Prius V (looks too small for me at first glance), a Camry Hybrid (someone specifically recommended the 2014.5), a Focus Hybrid, or a Chevy Cruze (Diesel).

If you aren't in a hurry, sell the Camry privately. You should probably get a Prius. The regular one is fine, the V is just longer in the back. There's no Focus Hybrid, maybe they mean Fusion Hybrid? Anyway all these hybrid sedans don't get as good fuel economy as the Prius. I'm not sure you'll find a Cruze diesel near you used, they didn't sell very many of them. A key to the diesel paying off is how much you can get on resale. historically VW diesels have made sense because they had very high resale values, probably even more so than the fuel economy, which really just offset the much higher repair and maintenance costs. With the VW diesel-gate thing going on right now, who knows what will happen to diesels regulation wise in the future. I'd probably stay away.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I've been pulled over six times in my Ford Focus ST since buying it a little under 2 years ago. I usually know when I'm going to get pulled over because I've learned the various tricks policemen use to induce people to commit a traffic violation. Even if I don't commit a violation, I get pulled over for a fabricated violation after a few miles. I don't get pulled over when driving my truck, pretty much ever (pulled over once when speeding six years ago) even though I use it much more. I never get a ticket, it's always just a warning and inquiries about what I'm doing and possibly a request to search my car.

So. What faster wagon or hatchback would be least likely to be suspected of muling drugs? I never got pulled over with my previous cars, Mazdaspeed 3, Mazda Miata, Chevy HHR.

Proposed Budget: 25-30K
New or Used: New to 40kish miles.
Body Style: 4 door hatchback to station wagon. I like to be able to carry larger items.
How will you be using the car?: Nothing special, around town and longer trips.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No preference unless those cars are less suspicious.
What aspects are most important to you?: Hopefully quick with decent handling; not a nightmare on maintenance. I would like a manual transmission if possible.

FortifiedTumor fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 10, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Dude, how black are you?

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Astonishingly white.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like your license plate got added to a "pull over and search" database or something.

And the obvious answer is to find a WRX hatchback.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Does that exist?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FortifiedTumor posted:

I've been pulled over six times in my Ford Focus ST since buying it a little under 2 years ago. I usually know when I'm going to get pulled over because I've learned the various tricks policemen use to induce people to commit a traffic violation. Even if I don't commit a violation, I get pulled over for a fabricated violation after a few miles. I don't get pulled over when driving my truck, pretty much ever (pulled over once when speeding six years ago) even though I use it much more. I never get a ticket, it's always just a warning and inquiries about what I'm doing and possibly a request to search my car.

So. What faster wagon or hatchback would be least likely to be suspected of muling drugs? I never got pulled over with my previous cars, Mazdaspeed 3, Mazda Miata, Chevy HHR.

Body Style: 4 door hatchback to station wagon. I like to be able to carry larger items.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No preference unless those cars are less suspicious.
What aspects are most important to you?: Hopefully quick with decent handling; not a nightmare on maintenance. I would like a manual transmission if possible.

You should get a Chevy SS. While it is not a hatch and more than your budget, it is fast, an MT and you will never get pulled over.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

You should get a Chevy SS. While it is not a hatch and more than your budget, it is fast, an MT and you will never get pulled over.

You might be right; if I can pull off the SS badge this might be the most nondescript fast car ever built.

I would still prefer the utility of a wagon or hatchback though.

Thank you.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

FortifiedTumor posted:

Volvo V60 T6 used, though it's still probably too spendy, it's definitely seen as an old person car. Used BMW 3 series wagon also might fit the bill, but not as fast. Maybe wait for the new Civic hatchback, though it's unclear as to whether it will get a Si.What about a few years old Forester XT manual? It's fast and wagon-y and definitely not a vehicle cops would be looking for. Otherwise there's VW but I doubt the GTI is very stealth, plus I wouldn't buy a vw right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FortifiedTumor posted:

Does that exist?

I mean a Focus isn't exactly a cop magnet, it's a loving focus no matter what you do to it unless you put a giant plywood spoiler and a coffee can exhaust on it. You just had some astonishingly bad luck.

But yeah, I used to work for a former state trooper captain, quotas and all that poo poo exist, but strictly unofficially.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
He should really post a pic of the car though, is it bright orange or what?

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
No, it's a stock black Focus ST. I took off the dealer emblems and dealer license plate frame. In the winter time I have winter tires/wheels, the wheels I bought, because they were discounted, are black so that makes the car look less stock from maybe November to April.

One policeman asked me why the rear headrests were removed. I don't know if that is suspicious or not.

EDIT: Also, the state I live in doesn't require front license plates. But I've been pulled over in the state I live in too.

FortifiedTumor fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 11, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Scream posted:

How are Infiniti G37s for reliability? I see a lot of love for how much fun they are to drive, and I think they look good and are nice at the price. I'm specifically looking at 2012 models as those tend to be in my price range. I would also consider a used Acura TL, though I know less about those.

I've put about 10k on one and the only issue was the clock backlight failed. From all accounts the engine and transmission have been around forever and are all well sorted out. Truedelta seems to back it up.

http://www.truedelta.com/Infiniti-G/reliability-127

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

Volvo V60 T6 used, though it's still probably too spendy, it's definitely seen as an old person car. Used BMW 3 series wagon also might fit the bill, but not as fast. Maybe wait for the new Civic hatchback, though it's unclear as to whether it will get a Si.What about a few years old Forester XT manual? It's fast and wagon-y and definitely not a vehicle cops would be looking for. Otherwise there's VW but I doubt the GTI is very stealth, plus I wouldn't buy a vw right now.

Volvo - It was my first thought, but I would be looking at used and I've read they're not the reliable tanks they once were.

BMW - I thought they had a race car image. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Forester - Looks a little to SUVish to me. I can't see where the XT is available in a manual.

VW - I like hot hatches and have felt the brand is high priced and not that quick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FortifiedTumor posted:

Volvo - It was my first thought, but I would be looking at used and I've read they're not the reliable tanks they once were.

Forester - Looks a little to SUVish to me. I can't see where the XT is available in a manual.

VW - I like hot hatches and have felt the brand is high priced and not that quick.

New Volvos are not very good.

BMW - lol no, they are wannabe rich dickbag cars now if you want to talk about what you see on the road for the most part. If you're talking image then that's what they are.

VW - buy a regular petrol model while dieselgate is hot if you want one. Never a better time. The US boss just got caught knowing about the emissions trickery on the tdis for over a year, they can only get more hosed from here but who knows where the bottom is.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
The Golf Sportwagen looks fine, does anyone know if it's impossibly slow or if the suspension/handling can be improved?

EDIT: I've honestly had the most fun driving my Miata in the mountains where it's woefully underpowered so a 1.8 liter turbo should be okay, but I would like to maybe make the handling/responsiveness better than what I assume it is.

FortifiedTumor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 11, 2015

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Throatwarbler posted:

If you aren't in a hurry, sell the Camry privately. You should probably get a Prius. The regular one is fine, the V is just longer in the back. There's no Focus Hybrid, maybe they mean Fusion Hybrid? Anyway all these hybrid sedans don't get as good fuel economy as the Prius. I'm not sure you'll find a Cruze diesel near you used, they didn't sell very many of them. A key to the diesel paying off is how much you can get on resale. historically VW diesels have made sense because they had very high resale values, probably even more so than the fuel economy, which really just offset the much higher repair and maintenance costs. With the VW diesel-gate thing going on right now, who knows what will happen to diesels regulation wise in the future. I'd probably stay away.

Sorry, I did mean the Fusion Hybrid.

Any reason you say the Prius over the Camry Hybrid? The MPG on paper seems nearly identical - like I said I am fairly concerned about having enough space in the drivers area because I am a bit of a freak of nature in regards to my height.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34290&id=34317&id=33374&id=33331

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Proposed Budget: $10-20k
New or Used: Doesn't matter
Body Style: 2 door ideally, maybe a sedan
How will you be using the car?: I drive ~20-30 miles a day commuting, mostly 55-60 mph with bits of slow moving rush hour traffic. I almost never have anyone else in the car, and on those rare occasions it's only one more person. About once every other month I take a ~200 mile trip for the weekend.
What aspects are most important to you? Small, 2 door, good reliability, enough hp or responsiveness to let me get in front of a semi when I have to merge onto a highway at a lovely spot/short ramp, good MPG, and good sound. I want to get 7-10 years out of a car, depending on how it's doing at that point.

I originally was thinking $10-15k used, but I'm a bit more open now. Tried sitting in a prius and immediately didn't like it, which sucks because it was pretty cheap. Drove a new 2015 honda cr-z some today and really like it, I don't feel like I have bad blind spots, the sport mode gives it the oomph I need sometimes, and the sound was decent. The cr-z will run me 19k, does that sound like a decent offer? Anyone have some experience with cr-z's?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DM Zero posted:

Any reason you say the Prius over the Camry Hybrid? The MPG on paper seems nearly identical - like I said I am fairly concerned about having enough space in the drivers area because I am a bit of a freak of nature in regards to my height.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34290&id=34317&id=33374&id=33331

I meant vs the regular Prius, not the V. The V is substantially the same car as the regular Prius from the driver's seat forward, the only difference is cargo space in the rear. The Camry and Fusion Hybrids don't get as good fuel economy because they have larger engines than the Prius (2.5l vs 1.8l), fatter tires IIRC and are not as aerodynamic. There's nothing wrong with any of them so it's your personal preference but if I were you I would go for maximum fuel economy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DM Zero posted:

As a tall person: why the hell are you asking the internet about whether you will fit in a widely available car? Go to a toyota dealer and find out. Everyone fits in cars differently, the proof is in trying. Just go sit in it.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

DM Zero posted:

Throatwarbler posted:

If you aren't in a hurry, sell the Camry privately.

Agreeing with this, earlier this year my parents sold their 2007 Camry with similar mileage (in the 60's) for nearly $11k in a private sale (and they also replaced it with a Prius :v:) You will definitely be able to get way more than $7-8k for your two year newer model.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Not sure the best place to ask this, but I'm in the UK, currently looking at buying a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Match (from 2008). I don't know poo poo about cars, and I've been googling for reviews and info. AI suggests to look for problem areas with cars you're looking into, but I'm not really sure what I should be googling for here. User reviews are all over the place and professional reviews are based on short test drives.

Any advice to narrow my search, or good sites to look for? Or does anyone happen to personally know anything about that specific model?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 11, 2015

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

FortifiedTumor posted:

Both JD Power and Consumer Reports rank Volvo pretty well in terms of reliability. It's no Toyota, but supposedly still pretty good.

As for BMW I can't imagine the wagons really give the race car perception. Still, very pricey and expensive maintenance.

Looks like its been a few years since the Forester XT was offered with manual. Whoops.

The VW wagon drove great in my test drive. Very snappy acceleration, tight handling. I found the front seat uncomfortable or I would have likely bought one a week before Dieselgate. I saw plenty of discussion of modifications on vwvortex.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

FortifiedTumor posted:

Surprisingly, a Taurus SHO might work for you. It won't have a manual, but it can get up and go and has an absolutely massive trunk. Get one in black, navy, or silver and not only will you not ever get pulled over, but everyone will get out of your way as well. I have a Taurus Limited and I tend to get the left lane all to myself most of the time. They're cheap as gently caress to maintain as well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

AriTheDog posted:

Both JD Power and Consumer Reports rank Volvo pretty well in terms of reliability. It's no Toyota, but supposedly still pretty good.

The key to newer Volvos is to avoid the AWD ones, because the AWD system is unreliable junk. The rest of the car isn't that bad, probably on par with Ford/GM/Hyundai. Also don't buy an old XC90.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ragnarok the Red posted:

earlier this year my parents sold their 2007 Camry with similar mileage (in the 60's) for nearly $11k in a private sale

How did they get a buyer to agree to a price that's like $3k above blue book for a 2007 Camry in very good condition? I would always expect to sell slightly below blue book in a private party sale, but it's possible I'm an idiot.

Those Camries must be a dime a dozen as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
New car purchase question - If sites claim to have dealer invoice pricing (like unhaggle.com in Canada) how accurate is that and are there hidden incentives that get you below it?

Or is it pretty much unless the car is on a mad clearout count on paying a certain percentage above invoice up to and including MSRP?

My experience buying used has always been go in with my set price, taxes, everything in based on researching similar cars on the internet in private and dealer sales.. But this time I'm planning on going new just for a change. So tips or resources to look at are welcome!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Michael Scott posted:

How did they get a buyer to agree to a price that's like $3k above blue book for a 2007 Camry in very good condition? I would always expect to sell slightly below blue book in a private party sale, but it's possible I'm an idiot.

Those Camries must be a dime a dozen as well.

Just looking at Craigslist in my area, all Honda/Toyota compact cars are being listed at well above the KBB price. I know one guy who listed a 15-20 year old Civic at $1-2k above KBB price, and he sold the car within 15 minutes of posting it to Craigslist. I thought KBB was supposed to track sales prices and adjust so that KBB price=market price, but maybe not.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

FortifiedTumor posted:

Well this is concerning as someone who is trying to buy an even faster Focus. Do you have tints as well? A completely blacked out car will definitely draw more attention.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Or maybe a Bob Marley bumper sticker or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ST man do you have a tint? I drive a black ST and have no problems, but I do live in a major metro where the cops in theory have better things to do than pull me over because of ~reasons~.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

priznat posted:

New car purchase question - If sites claim to have dealer invoice pricing (like unhaggle.com in Canada) how accurate is that and are there hidden incentives that get you below it?

Or is it pretty much unless the car is on a mad clearout count on paying a certain percentage above invoice up to and including MSRP?

My experience buying used has always been go in with my set price, taxes, everything in based on researching similar cars on the internet in private and dealer sales.. But this time I'm planning on going new just for a change. So tips or resources to look at are welcome!

I paid over $1000 under invoice on a recent purchase by simply emailing dealers and asking them to give me a quote. Around here they know that if you're emailing one, you're likely emailing several so if they don't start low you'll go elsewhere. The Truecar pricing (a service that purports to offer a fair price around invoice) was far and away the worst price, often by thousands.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AriTheDog posted:

I paid over $1000 under invoice on a recent purchase by simply emailing dealers and asking them to give me a quote. Around here they know that if you're emailing one, you're likely emailing several so if they don't start low you'll go elsewhere. The Truecar pricing (a service that purports to offer a fair price around invoice) was far and away the worst price, often by thousands.

Nice! I had emailed one already and they told me their discounted price, which was actually higher than MSRP. I need to email back asking if that is including freight & pdi or something (doubtful) but that is weird. No, it's not a honda or toyota either! (I hear they are impossible to dicker with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Man, I'm getting nowhere emailing for quotes on used. Only thing they'll tell me is "we've market it down from $XX,XXX retail already!" and tell me to come in for a test drive on a car 75 miles away.