Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just finished playing up to killing the first griffin, and I'm starting to get really frustrated by the way Geralt handles. And I think I finally figured out why, too: no matter my control settings he's either walking or running, there's almost no fine midrange control on his movement. Constantly running past things, pausing, turning around, running past it by mistake AGAIN, finally getting the right position and camera angle to loot, do it again etc.

It's not my controller, it seems to work fine for other games. Just this one controls so weird.

I want to like this game, I like the universe, but this is irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I just finished playing up to killing the first griffin, and I'm starting to get really frustrated by the way Geralt handles. And I think I finally figured out why, too: no matter my control settings he's either walking or running, there's almost no fine midrange control on his movement. Constantly running past things, pausing, turning around, running past it by mistake AGAIN, finally getting the right position and camera angle to loot, do it again etc.

It's not my controller, it seems to work fine for other games. Just this one controls so weird.

Are you playing on PC or on consoles? There's a separate movement scheme that was introduced in 1.07 that you might like (Geralt will stop and turn on a dime rather than having some intertia while running).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On PC, and yeah I turned that on, but he still kinda pauses and shuffles for a half second before he starts moving again.

Boy when I write that it sounds like a dumb trivial complaint but it feels off when I actually play. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Geralt's movement out of combat is pretty slippery, I agree. After a while I just learned to adapt to it and now I just let off the stick whenever I'm about to loot something so that he stops in the right spot. The alternate movement style does help though, even if I'm not sure what it actually changes.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Anyone else got this problem since the new patch?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Geralts super-momentum is the most frustrating thing to get used to. It doesn't help when you can't even line up properly to open/activate what you want. You have to keep nudging and turning slightly and it's pretty annoying, Im on the alternate control and I can't see much of a change. And its funny when you get out of a conversation where a person just thanked you for saving them or whatever, and then you want to turn and Geralt stumbles into the person you just helped and they scream in fear. But you do get used to it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you are running through Galaxy go into the game configuration and select Manual; that'll give you the option to rollback to 1.084
Nope, on PS4.

I'm guessing there is nothing I can do.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my inventory here but I'm not sure what.

I'm on the latest nvidia drivers, and the only mod I'm using is a weight mod. That shouldn't effect anything on the right that I'm seeing. I already verified the files and it had no errors.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/572313256325686928/96663EE0830F3962D213E3545D42A054546D1A75/

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a reason Witcher 3 is downloading a 17 GB update? I'm on 1.08.4, just logged on to prep for the DLC next week.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The latest update patches a whole lot of poo poo and presumably introduces some stuff for the upcoming DLC. It's that big for everybody.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my inventory here but I'm not sure what.

I'm on the latest nvidia drivers, and the only mod I'm using is a weight mod. That shouldn't effect anything on the right that I'm seeing. I already verified the files and it had no errors.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/572313256325686928/96663EE0830F3962D213E3545D42A054546D1A75/

Are you just trying to figure out whats missing? This is a normal inventory screen to compare

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I lost my old save due to a hard drive failure, does anyone have a save they could hook me up with?

Preferably with the main story / most sidequests done and with the best ending or w/e.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 11, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

Are you just trying to figure out whats missing? This is a normal inventory screen to compare

No, look at the right side of the screen, there's a weird transparency overlay thing with geralt's body.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No, look at the right side of the screen, there's a weird transparency overlay thing with geralt's body.

You could try disabling / removing all your mods and then verify the game files. People on Reddit are saying its helping to fix a lot of stuff. I guess because it's a huge patch and files get a little messed up.

Disregard if you've already done that!

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 11, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, that was the first thing I did... :(

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I load up W3 for the first time in months to play some NG+ again.

All my DLC content is gone, which sucks considering it was all my horse gear and now I'm overburdened.

And I'm on PS4 so no hotfix or whatever. :(

Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title
I've just finished the game. Holy gently caress, what a masterpiece! Definitely game of the year, unless something amazing comes out between now and January.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is the dlc sale price on psn a good enough value to buy on its own if i'm going to get both expansions anyway or is the season pass still a better deal?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Anyone here played the latest metal gear? Good pickup for someone who liked W3?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MikeC posted:

i have it and like it but its totally different. its like the inverse of w3 in that the action gameplay is nearly flawless but the story implementation is janky

both great games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MikeC posted:

What a weird question to ask in a fantasy RPG game thread.

The two are literally nothing alike.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They don't even use the one point of similarity, that they have open world maps, in the same way.

But yeah it's good regardless.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's probably a pointless thing to ask, but I'll take my chances anyway.
Does anyone happen to have a save file at somewhere around the point when you meet Triss?

I got so used to Steam Cloud saving all my data that I didn't realize that GOG Galaxy doesn't do the same and now after installing a new OS, I lost it all.
I'm really not feeling like doing all of that over again from the start. :/

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jack Trades posted:

It's probably a pointless thing to ask, but I'll take my chances anyway.
Does anyone happen to have a save file at somewhere around the point when you meet Triss?

I got so used to Steam Cloud saving all my data that I didn't realize that GOG Galaxy doesn't do the same and now after installing a new OS, I lost it all.
I'm really not feeling like doing all of that over again from the start. :/

I posted a save a like two missions into Novigrad in thread awhile back! See if it works for you.

I'd consider storing your (quest) items in the stash and running cleardeveop though to reset everything.

E:

The Iron Rose posted:

I've done much of Velen and the first couple quests of Novigrad. Unpack the following into Documents/The Witcher 3/gamesaves

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsd8ew96tati6nt/gamesaves.rar?dl=0

No guarantees if it'll work especially since this is steam but I wish you luck in any event.

Here's what you want to do.
put the save into whatever GOG's save folder is.
Put this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/664/ into your Mods folder in the witcher3 directory since it lets you put quest items in storage. Run the game, go to the nearest stash, drop all your items in (or at least all your quest items and drop the rest on the ground). Open the console with ~ and type "cleardevelop" which resets everything to default, restores you to level 1, removes your inventory, et cetera. Use addmoney(x) to replace orens and setlevel(x) to restore the desired level. Play and enjoy.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I posted a save a like two missions into Novigrad in thread awhile back! See if it works for you.

drat, I didn't expect that. Thank a bunch!

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I'm stoked for the dlc tomorrow.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

haris pilton posted:

I'm stoked for the dlc tomorrow.

:( I'd be stoked if the DLC gear bug didn't pretty much prevent me from playing it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Can't you just play it in your old, non-NG+, game?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Did they do something with the graphics/hairworks between now and release? I nerded this game to completion at release and always had steady 60 frames, but back now in new game+ i'm getting some inconsistent drops that i think might be tied to the hairworks.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Seems like they still didn't fix the missing crystal bug with the Wolf school gear quest. :argh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Did they do something with the graphics/hairworks between now and release? I nerded this game to completion at release and always had steady 60 frames, but back now in new game+ i'm getting some inconsistent drops that i think might be tied to the hairworks.

they've patched like 20 gigs of data since release.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Seems like they still didn't fix the missing crystal bug with the Wolf school gear quest. :argh:

You mean for the first set? I couldn't pick up the 2nd crystal. Reloading fixed the problem.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

they've patched like 20 gigs of data since release.

Not really what i was asking, but good enough i guess.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dongattack posted:

Not really what i was asking, but good enough i guess.

They added a slider for hairworks AA and a couple other of the settings at ultra weren't turning on right at launch.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

JaucheCharly posted:

You mean for the first set? I couldn't pick up the 2nd crystal. Reloading fixed the problem.

Yeah. The second crystal just isn't there and reloading doesn't help either. Oh well, I'm doing a Cat school gear playthrough, so it's not the end of the world, just very annoying.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Beeez posted:

Can't you just play it in your old, non-NG+, game?

Maybe, if I still have the save. For whatever dumb reason there's only 10 save slots on PS4.

Hope I didn't accidentally delete the old non-NG+

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

havenwaters posted:

They added a slider for hairworks AA and a couple other of the settings at ultra weren't turning on right at launch.

Thanks, that clears it up, i'll fix it now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got to the second map last night--Velen I think??--and I'm just kind of wandering around lost not really sure what to do next, too much stuff to do and learn :saddowns:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ciaphas posted:

I got to the second map last night--Velen I think??--and I'm just kind of wandering around lost not really sure what to do next, too much stuff to do and learn :saddowns:

Just follow the main quests. You don't need to get sidetracked if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

If you dont want to do main quest then go to all the villages & hamlets and take all the notice board quests, then pick whatever ones you feel like doing. Its a nice compromise between random exploring or main questing.