Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think I broke airplanes somehow. My sky is swarming with airplanes from nowhere with 0 passengers and lots of businesses in my tourism area are reporting not enough customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Nighttime is so gaudy I love it.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Hadlock posted:

Actually that would be great, someone start a game on the Big River map, get it to a stable population with positive cashflow, then publish it on your workshop, and post the link here in the thread. Next person, add a new sub-division/expansion of some sort (draw a dickbutt highway loop? around a new residential district?), leave it cash flow positive and then publish that save to steam workshop as gooncity-link[#].map where [#] is your link in the chain. next person picks up the gooncity-link1.map and adds their addition, saves it as gooncity-link2.map and publishes it to their workshop, posts link here in the thread.

Is this a bad idea? I think we tried it with Kerbal Space Program but the physics engine quickly buckled under the load as soon as someone added a giant ferris-wheel looking thing. I think in this case a new subdivision of 5000 cims or a new CBD, public transit system etc probably should be able to go 20 links or so before it gets overwhelming...

I guess you would have to disable all mods and just play stock with two mods, auto-bulldoze and 25 square map so nobody is stuck installing a bajillion mods and assets.

Currently that is the best solution to it. I've been working on a real-time co-op mod like you have been describing (each player claims area tiles) but the problem of custom assets and other mods is making it really tricky. Also the whole hosting of maps will prove to be another issue unless CO opens up the Steam API calls to mods so I can auto-publish files to the workshop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does anyone know if building level up mod works on the expansion? I can't play without it so I don't want to buy the expansion andt find im waiting on an abandoned mod.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is the expansion cool and good?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fishbus posted:

I've been playing with two laned roads since they can handle high volumes pretty well if you do a little fancy footwork.

I almost suggest a two lane challenge of only building cities with two laned roads only and seeing how far you can get. I've found that you can squeeze more throughput by sticking to 3 way intersections and avoiding 4-ways +

I guess i still use regular highways though, but everything else; two lane utopia.

It is arguably easier to play with 2 lanes only given that traffic lights cause most of the congestion.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone know if building level up mod works on the expansion? I can't play without it so I don't want to buy the expansion andt find im waiting on an abandoned mod.

The one that allows you to set maximum level for an individual building or district per building type? Yeah, this works: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How come some commercial buildings top out at little squat five-story podunk nowhere buildings?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is the expansion cool and good?

Depending on your playstyle, it can be pretty superfluous.

Do I think Leisure/Tourism, some service buildings, and taxi's plus bikes are worth it? Not right now in any of my cities, but I was more than happy happy to hand over 15 euros to support the devs!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Taxis are cool but I put down a Taxi Depot and it spit out 25 taxis and all I thought was 'huh I just added more traffic to my network for no reason really.'

What is their function? Especially given that cims can just pull cars out of their pockets.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Moridin920 posted:

Taxis are cool but I put down a Taxi Depot and it spit out 25 taxis and all I thought was 'huh I just added more traffic to my network for no reason really.'

What is their function? Especially given that cims can just pull cars out of their pockets.

They're supposed to appeal to tourists but uh. After Dark feels like an expansion that would make sense if making money hand over fist wasn't absolutely trivial in the game already.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah I'd rather have my bonsai-for-nerds expansion instead of this partially abortive gameplay effort.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

How come some commercial buildings top out at little squat five-story podunk nowhere buildings?

Because a buildings graphics sadly have very little to do with its stats. Stats are definely entirely by the size of the lot multiplied by the size of the building. A level 5 2x4 building will always have half the stats of a level 5 4x4 building, doesn't matter if the graphics of the building is a 5 story low rise or a huge tower. I wish it didn't work this way, I wish every building had stats based on the actual model. The upside is that it makes the game's very easy to tweak because you don't need to edit 500 buildings, you just globally edit the per-tile per-level stats for a type of building. Really the solution would have been for more consistency in the size of buildings as they level up. If a level 4 building has twice as many people as a level 1 building it should look twice as big. But in this case I think looks won out as people would compain their max-level cities looked like a wall of buildings of the exact same density/massing.

Personally I wish they had gone with a more simcity approach and not had the whole "level up" system and rather uncoupled density from class like in simcity4. Why can't we have a huge low-income tower or a small apartment full of rich people?

The euro buildings complicate matters further because they didn't have the time/budget/interest in actually making a whole set of models that grow as things level up. A level 1 building looks just like a level 5 building, just slightly different props. This is ok because its showing the building simply increasing in class but not density. When I play on a euro map I edit the game's stats so that all building levels have the same population/workers, but the higher level buildings just employ more high education workers or generate more taxes.

It's really hard for me to not sperg out about this sort of thing as building massing/form/density and class issues are my main interests in city planning.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Here have another PoMo-hell tower.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

The euro buildings complicate matters further because they didn't have the time/budget/interest in actually making a whole set of models that grow as things level up. A level 1 building looks just like a level 5 building, just slightly different props.

This wouldn't be a problem if they had made low density euro buildings in my opinion.

This looks great and has a good file size. Something that a lot of the big skyscraper makers seem to be incapable of sticking too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's pomo?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is there a mod that buffs the popularity of unique buildings?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Postmodern architecture.

Alternatively, cool music.

e:

Metrication posted:

This looks great and has a good file size. Something that a lot of the big skyscraper makers seem to be incapable of sticking too.

Yeah I tried to keep it small; guess it worked!

Not like that dude who went crying about him not being 'supported' in a monetary sense by the community. Yeah no I'm not going to go on Patreon to hand over cash money for >10MB growables you massive dolt.

e2: VVV nahh, this dude

Koesj fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gula?

Also, because I am a :spergin: of a different sort, has anyone made a mode that makes the roads all have streetlights with the same light color? I don't even care which color.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gula?

Also, because I am a :spergin: of a different sort, has anyone made a mode that makes the roads all have streetlights with the same light color? I don't even care which color.

But if you do that, you won't be able to make Berlin

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do Soviet era lightbulbs not burn out or something? :v:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Its a difference in how they are powered, essentially West Berlin and the FRG in general made the switch to more "green" less energy consuming lighting whilst in East Berlin there is still a predominance of gas powered lighting (1/5th of Street Lamps, for example) and so on and so forth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well sodium lamps last basically forever, so it's possible. Has nothing to do with being Soviet branded though. :v:

edit - though I guess they aren't sodium. Nevermind!

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gula?

I could probably churn out a mod for this tonight. I'll also include a moonlight brightness control as I've heard of some people complaining about that.

EDIT: Got a starter project up with a couple options, nothing for street lights yet though. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=534220412

Remmiz fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 12, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really fixed the hellgate this time. It looks like an alien tentacle demon now (much more so than before) but that's appropriate.

Nine roads enter, ten roads leave. :cthulhu:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 2, 2022

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Arglebargle III posted:

I really fixed the hellgate this time. It looks like an alien tentacle demon now (much more so than before) but that's appropriate.

And I thought the MacArthur Maze was bad...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Koesj posted:

Yeah I tried to keep it small; guess it worked!

Not like that dude who went crying about him not being 'supported' in a monetary sense by the community. Yeah no I'm not going to go on Patreon to hand over cash money for >10MB growables you massive dolt.

Not sure if this is the same guy but there was one person who keeps making massive skyscrapers that are always between 10 and 20mb, even the most basic flat ones and on Simtropolis he was offering advice about file sizes and had a really blasé attitude like it was fine. 'My computer can handle it if the user chooses to download such a big file then it's up to them'. Which is a really poor attitude in my opinion, if everyone regularly breached 10mb the game would be unplayable for a lot of people with lots of files.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I for one welcome some underground chaos. Here goes:

Excuse the suburb names haha.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lagoon map is purdy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I just bought the expansion and have a few kinda OCD questions.
I like that there are bikes but they are handled very strangely. Why do they ride on the sidewalks? Is there any downside to allowing that or any plus to banning it? The parks menu bike paths are nice but peds can't use them. I've never seen a cycle path that didn't allow peds or have a place for them some how. It looks awful to draw a ped path and bike path next to each other. What are the advantages of using the roads with bike lanes vs just letting everyone ride on the sidewalk?
What exactly is the point of the new commercial specializations in terms of game mechanics? Do citizens now demand leisure ? Do the districts some how make citizens more happy? How do they functionally differ from normal commercial? And are tourist zones worth it, is tourism actually a working thing now?

Basically I see a lot of visually cool stuff and there's a bunch more options but from a sort of german spread sheet anno sperg perspective what are the mechanics?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

So I just bought the expansion and have a few kinda OCD questions.
I like that there are bikes but they are handled very strangely. Why do they ride on the sidewalks? Is there any downside to allowing that or any plus to banning it? The parks menu bike paths are nice but peds can't use them. I've never seen a cycle path that didn't allow peds or have a place for them some how. It looks awful to draw a ped path and bike path next to each other. What are the advantages of using the roads with bike lanes vs just letting everyone ride on the sidewalk?
What exactly is the point of the new commercial specializations in terms of game mechanics? Do citizens now demand leisure ? Do the districts some how make citizens more happy? How do they functionally differ from normal commercial? And are tourist zones worth it, is tourism actually a working thing now?

Basically I see a lot of visually cool stuff and there's a bunch more options but from a sort of german spread sheet anno sperg perspective what are the mechanics?

Red=bad. Green=good. Happy to help.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Legend has it the Minotaur is in there somewhere.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone encountered this problem?

Tons and tons of planes with no one in them, and my number of tourists is going way down - lots of hotels that had been doing well have been getting the No Customers bubble.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

You're making we want to try my hand at lovely PoMo buildings too!

The AT&T Building in Nashville TN.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Aww yeah, git r done!

I've been subscribing to some of those way too large assets on the workshop, and to be fair, they're mostly better than the other dross that's out there. Stuff like this is right up my alley, and the dude who was going off about wanting to see money is like the only person doing decent-sized Modernist towers. On that note, I'm pretty tired of supertall landmark skyscrapers, especially the more contemporary ones. Where's my deadening 1970s midrise blocks for that good 'ol windswept avenue feel?!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's just the nature of the game. The game gives you the tools and fun problem-solving situations that all involve heavy traffic and highways and the power to build insane junctions. The rather inflexible zoning system and the building graphics them selves dont lend them selves too well to cozy or traditional cities. The game is really focused around building a big modern city with traffic engineering and land-use ideology from the late 20th century. You can try to build something like a dutch city, but you'll be fighting the game's systems and biases along the way. Also most people playing this game are american and a wasteland of skyscrapers, stroads, and village-sized freeway intersections are actually the norm for them.

I live in Connecticut and I couldn't stop thinking about this post the entire time I was in the car today.

40 mph 4-lane road that randomly gets pinched down to three lanes due to previous development which is simultaneously the main commercial avenue (with accompanying sidewalks, pedestrian crossings, and frequent lighted intersections) and the primary thruway for local traffic? Sounds great, just don't ask me how you're supposed to turn left out out of a parking lot during business hours.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Been getting back into the game after the DLC dropped and finally found a map worthy of me OCD'ing over so thought I'd do an in progress image dump

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You turned an awesome beach island into an airport? Commercial/Tourism developers must be cursing you.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You turned an awesome beach island into an airport? Commercial/Tourism developers must be cursing you.

Hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I give you:

The traffic toilet.