Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Athanatos posted:

Cutler has some receivers back, they dont win there. I cant see them stopping AP. If Alex Smith somehow beats them in London, Caldwell is the next UK Victim. It just a good time since the BYE week is after you have time to get the new coach in there and practicing his way with your off week.
Andy Reid is gonna be nervous as gently caress if Detroit gets its first win in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

If you think you can out suck the AFC South you're in for a surprise

If anything this plays to the favor of the 9ers, as the AFC south teams will cannibalize each other.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
posting on the page that's the same number of losses the Lions will suffer in 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LiquidFriend posted:

Andy Reid is gonna be nervous as gently caress if Detroit gets its first win in London.

It'd be hilarious if they got it the same way they did last year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

computer parts posted:

It'd be hilarious if they got it the same way they did last year.

If there's one coach worse at clock management than Mike Smith was....

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Lakedaimon posted:

Supposedly the reason they hired Caldwell (I mean other than the fact that Wisenhunt turned them down and they were scrambling) was that he had this detailed plan on how he was going to reduce Stafford's interception rate. So this is why you have this dink and dunk horseshit offense that does not throw deep. But Stafford isnt accurate enough to make it work.

I thought they were mocked for running the Saints offense to a T and I would not consider that to be a dink and dunk offense. I haven't watched the Lions too much as I don't hate myself but I am assuming the offensive line isn't allowing for time to let those long Saint patterns develop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:smith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

specifically not FansDuel

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

indigi posted:

posting on the page that's the same number of losses the Lions will suffer in 2015

They lost to the Cowboys in 2015 and some preseason games so this does not check out

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

If anything this plays to the favor of the 9ers, as the AFC south teams will cannibalize each other.

Nope only one of the teams will screw themselves out of good draft position

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

They lost to the Cowboys in 2015 and some preseason games so this does not check out

yeah but the last few games of the year happen in 2016

CHECKMATE

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Hand Row posted:

I thought they were mocked for running the Saints offense to a T and I would not consider that to be a dink and dunk offense. I haven't watched the Lions too much as I don't hate myself but I am assuming the offensive line isn't allowing for time to let those long Saint patterns develop.

The Lions' o-line is pretty terrible. They can't pass block long enough to bomb teams down the field, and they have a crap running game too. So they're trying to work all these dinky little routes. and even with that, Stafford has gotten walloped in every game he's played in this year. Detroit's offense is a mess right now and I don't know if they can do more than that.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I can say yesterday was the worst time going in the past few years since I have had season tickets for this dumb not very good football team.

Our fans are probably the least knowledgeable around, which is why it is actually a lot more fun to watch the lions on the road (even though we never win if we play anyone good). The people around me are like fire everyone into the sun, which yeah obviously, but at the same time can't actually look at the game and see why something doesn't work.

In addition to the Lions just always being bad, they were kind of bad at a rough time near the end of the last CBA. Everyone hit their contracts in a way that sped up the window, and we at least did get a good season out of it. Take the victories where you can get them in my opinion. Watching the first four games on gamepass and probably the 5th one again today, the team is bad but they have been pretty competitive in every game but San Diego (and to a lesser extent Seattle).

Football is weird and luck matters so maybe they lose a bunch of games and we go 0-16 (but probably not). Either way blowing up everything is stupid and people who want that are bad and should feel bad. Caldwell probably should have been brought is as a coordinator and not a HC, Lombardi could get let go at the end of the season. Austin's stock probably has fallen enough he wont get any HC offers. Mayhew has drafted pretty rough and he should get let go. Stafford is one of top 15 or so QBs in a world where there aren't 32 good ones.

If we want to watch Goff next year and do something stupid then by all means, I'll still fork over my dumb money to watch this dumb team play this dumb sport. Our fans are bad though and should be more cool.

Thanks for reading!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

C-Euro posted:

If they blow it next week at home against Chicago I think there's a very real chance that they go winless. Caldwell and Lombardi have no idea what they're doing and I wouldn't be surprised if players have started checking out for the season. If Chicago beats them on their own turf then they'll definitely start checking out and the current regime won't be able to get them back. At this point I'd say their only winnable games are Chicago next week and hosting SF in Week 16. Saints fans would have you think otherwise but I don't think this Detroit team can win in NO. They even lost a winnable game through a freak accident that maybes comes up once in an entire season across all teams, just like in 2008!

I know I've been crowing about how I knew long before this season that Detroit's window was closed, and how no one should have any expectations for them this year, but even so they have looked completely awful. I'm honestly surprised at how far they've fallen but I know I shouldn't be.

You're not going 0-16 this year. The Saints can lose to anyone.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A.o.D. posted:

You're not going 0-16 this year. The Saints can lose to anyone.

We have been here before. This is what everyone said.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Looks like the Lions have the yearly thread back again.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They have two this year! What the lack in wins they make up for in threads.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Here's a fun idea when Caldwell gets fired after London: one-game interim coaches!

How much more fun would it be to have, for one week only, the return of WAYNE FONTES? Would the Week 16 home game against San Francisco be more fun with four-day interim head coach Jim Harbaugh going against the 49ers?

This is a great idea, and the Lions should absolutely do it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

I just realized this is true and... it kind of owns.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

NC-17 posted:

There's a second Lions thread?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

The best way to avoid the traffic is to stay all the way to the end of a Lions game. :smith:

Nov 6, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

There's a second Lions thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745412&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

gtkor posted:

Austin's stock probably has fallen enough he wont get any HC offers.

I still wonder why he didn't land somewhere last offseason, and whether or not other teams predicted what was going to happen to the D this year. If Caldwell ends up getting the boot during the season I'd be curious to see how Austin would handle things.

Mayhew won't be fired because look how long Millen was here and look at what he "accomplished". It's been a rough couple of seasons for him as of late, but I doubt Martha Ford cares so long as the Lions continue to not have cheerleaders. If Millen got eight years to be bad I would think Mayhew gets just as long to be mediocre, and if you get rid of him who do you bring in? Who was that dude in the Lions FO that people were talking about as maybe going to GM somewhere else last offseason?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

C-Euro posted:

I still wonder why he didn't land somewhere last offseason, and whether or not other teams predicted what was going to happen to the D this year. If Caldwell ends up getting the boot during the season I'd be curious to see how Austin would handle things.

Mayhew won't be fired because look how long Millen was here and look at what he "accomplished". It's been a rough couple of seasons for him as of late, but I doubt Martha Ford cares so long as the Lions continue to not have cheerleaders. If Millen got eight years to be bad I would think Mayhew gets just as long to be mediocre, and if you get rid of him who do you bring in? Who was that dude in the Lions FO that people were talking about as maybe going to GM somewhere else last offseason?

The Lions have unofficial cheerleaders that Martha hates. One of them could probably be the GM, let's try and find out.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cruel and Unusual posted:

@Justin_Rogers

Ameer Abdullah says he hasn't felt this bad since his friend died his junior season.

@Justin_Rogers
What in the hell am I going to look at for my film review? Caldwell's facial expressions?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I mean id be willing to buy teams just evaluated him lower than Bowles or Quinn. You'd figure both of those guys had done it a little longer than Austin, who had the one year to fall back on. I'd be willing to believe he probably finished 2nd in a couple of interviews though.

Either way, he probably isn't going to be a hot commodity this time around.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
From Detroit sports media gadfly Jeff Moss...

http://detroitsportsrag.net/who-is-running-the-lions-and-why-did-luis-perez-resign/

Martha Ford and her two daughters are running the team as something to do, Bill Ford Jr. is out of the organization.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

AsInHowe posted:

http://detroitsportsrag.net/who-is-running-the-lions-and-why-did-luis-perez-resign/

Martha Ford and her two daughters are running the team as something to do, Bill Ford Jr. is out of the organization.

I hope to hell there's no truth behind this. But really how much is an owner going to affect the day to day when you've already got a CEO etc in place?

Fire Lombardi

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Lions will defeat the Chiefs in the worst London game ever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Lions went 11-5 last year. 11-5.

They were the #3 defense in points allowed. This year they are #23

Not sure what they were rated at in offense last year but Stafford and the gang have only scored 83 points this season putting them at #26. Dog poo poo.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

Can you believe the nerve of this elderly woman to not cede all control over the billion dollar organization that she owns to her son, who has extensive other responsibilities and who has admittedly shown very poor judgment when put in a similar position in the past? Surely this elderly woman is the source of our problems.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

They were not necessarily great last year on offense either (they were 22nd).

It turns out that when you have a defense that had a generational type of player at DT that played all 3 downs, with a 1st round level talent next to him, it can mask a lot of issues. It also doesn't help when you bring in two guys to replace those guys, and the new people are hurt and or ineffective.

Basically the lions went from having two top 25 ish DT's (with one of them being a top 5 guy), to fringe roster/rookie DT rotation. Also, their best LB has been around for about a quarter this whole season.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rjmccall posted:

Can you believe the nerve of this elderly woman to not cede all control over the billion dollar organization that she owns to her son, who has extensive other responsibilities and who has admittedly shown very poor judgment when put in a similar position in the past? Surely this elderly woman is the source of our problems.

90 year olds are notoriously good at doing new jobs because they're already rich

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

rjmccall posted:

Actually, Bill Ford Jr. did do a great job at Ford, and hasn't had full control over the Lions before.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Valenti and Foster starting with circus music hahaha

Nov 6, 2002

Bill Ford Jr's great accomplishments:

- Being born a Ford.
- Realizing he is so far out of his depth at fixing Ford he let someone competent take over.
- Acknowledging that Matt Millen sucks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bill Jr publicly called out Matt Millen for being such a doofus, and in the same breath called out his dad for handling the situation so poorly. Millen was fired less than 24 hours later.

I have no idea if Bill Jr would be a good NFL owner but he gives a poo poo about how well the team does on the field, which is more than his parents ever have. That Millen episode earned him a lot of admiration from fans as well. Here's hoping his sisters don't keep him boxed out once mom passes.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

NC-17 posted:

- Being born a Ford.
- Realizing he is so far out of his depth at fixing Ford he let someone competent take over.

Sounds great, can we trade Jed York for him?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NC-17 posted:

- Being born a Ford.

if he hired a gm as good at being a gm as mulally was at being a ceo, im down with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well Martha Ford is a Firestone right? Perhaps she learned a thing or too about business acumen from the years she's been surrounded by it. Maybe her and her daughters don't want to let Ford Jr mess with the team because he was groomed by his dad, who obviously was unsuccessful. Maybe the daughters want to build a solid legacy. She seems OK for now; it's too hard to guess what's going on internally between owners and the staff.

• Locked thread