Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is a good plan. Has he already done it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
About half an hour ago, I think.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What do you think he is, a Republic serial villain?

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
How are there only four billion non-humans on an Earth-sized planet which is all city? And they are trusting the Death Star guy.

Is this like some weird inter-Sith warfare campaign, or are your players just arbitrarily genocidal?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

How are there only four billion non-humans on an Earth-sized planet which is all city? And they are trusting the Death Star guy.

The Empire really hates aliens, so they probably kicked all that they could off of Coruscant.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He's only counting the high society aliens. The servants aren't people, be they alien or human.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Maybe the DM didn't want to calculate the exact number of fictional aliens on a fictional planet so he made up the 3 billion number because it's really big and the players should get the point

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Maybe the DM didn't want to calculate the exact number of fictional aliens on a fictional planet so he made up the 3 billion number because it's really big and the players should get the point
Obviously he should have spent 20 minutes digging around to find the exact demographic spread of the planet.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The painful irony is, since this is Star Wars, some turbonerd already did it and it's probably two clicks away on Wookiepedia.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Three Clicks, I'm sorry.

1 trillion permanent residents, demographic percentages vary depending on the era

Either way 3 billion aliens total is ridiculously low.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Three Clicks, I'm sorry.

1 trillion permanent residents, demographic percentages vary depending on the era

Either way 3 billion aliens total is ridiculously low.

Then I'll just keep that under my hat and, should the players execute The Krytos Plan, Moff Desra will simply say "oops, I miscalculated" as three hundred billion aliens die. He is a xenophobic, racist Imperial after all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Everblight posted:

Then I'll just keep that under my hat and, should the players execute The Krytos Plan, Moff Desra will simply say "oops, I miscalculated" as three hundred billion aliens die. He is a xenophobic, racist Imperial after all.

"It's not my fault you don't know basic information about your nations capitol." (sips out of cup) "So now that you're wanted across the entire galactic rim as history's greatest monsters, let me introduce you to the lucrative world of piracy."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dumping ultra genocide in players laps: a cool idea

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

In fairness, the players (after heated discussion) decided "there has to be another way to do this" and went off on a spy mission to try and get some intel on the Sith lord so maybe they could beat him in a normal military engagement.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Golden Bee posted:

In the Edge of the Empire game I played in awhile back, our campaign was capped off with us destroying the earth and everyone on it in order to stop some dark side super weapon that would have triggered the space zombie apocalypse.
The sheer force of lost life put both of the party's Jedi into a coma for close to a month.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Coined a phrase during last night's game, whilst a mid-to-low-level party engaged in airship combat (bargain-basement "flying" machine VS Imperial Aerial Battleship):

"Just because it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it's not a good idea." I think this is my new life motto

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I head to a weekly boardgame meetup. It's overall been pretty good despite some bad games being played. Big group comes together and we split up into smaller groups to play whatever and this week I end up with a couple of new guys I hadnt played with before when it hit me.

It was either a serious non-stop fart problem or b.o. with distinct fecal notes. :barf: I excused myself after a few rounds.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Evilreaver posted:

Coined a phrase during last night's game, whilst a mid-to-low-level party engaged in airship combat (bargain-basement "flying" machine VS Imperial Aerial Battleship):

"Just because it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it's not a good idea." I think this is my new life motto

Truly words to live (and die) by.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

So I head to a weekly boardgame meetup. It's overall been pretty good despite some bad games being played. Big group comes together and we split up into smaller groups to play whatever and this week I end up with a couple of new guys I hadnt played with before when it hit me.

It was either a serious non-stop fart problem or b.o. with distinct fecal notes. :barf: I excused myself after a few rounds.

No gaming is better than lovely gaming.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I threw the game and ran off. :v:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Cross-posting from Shadowrun thread.

This run was apparently so full of catpiss it was erased from existence.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Unknown Quantity posted:

Cross-posting from Shadowrun thread.

This run was apparently so full of catpiss it was erased from existence.

Which is a pity, because if you look at the raw components, this should have been awesome.
Ok, the plot item is a little juvenile, but as long as it was played tongue in cheek, it could work.
Ghost Cowboys as guards, with ghost revolvers.

I mean, yeah, things seem to have gone catpiss, but the ingredients for something fun seem to have been there.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

the_steve posted:

Which is a pity, because if you look at the raw components, this should have been awesome.
Ok, the plot item is a little juvenile, but as long as it was played tongue in cheek, it could work.
Ghost Cowboys as guards, with ghost revolvers.

I mean, yeah, things seem to have gone catpiss, but the ingredients for something fun seem to have been there.

So unless the guy is using "I dreamed it" as a euphemism for "this happened and I don't want to incriminate my friends who are of the catpiss", it's all just somebody's idea and it never went catpiss, it never went anything.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Skyscraper posted:

So unless the guy is using "I dreamed it" as a euphemism for "this happened and I don't want to incriminate my friends who are of the catpiss", it's all just somebody's idea and it never went catpiss, it never went anything.

Oh no, the session actually happened. It's just that it played out like the story said and it was just decided to axe that from the official records.

EDIT: Also, ghosts in Shadowrun are insanely strong. One or two of them or the werewolf alone can very much challenge a group. Twelve is a guaranteed party wipe.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Unknown Quantity posted:

Oh no, the session actually happened. It's just that it played out like the story said and it was just decided to axe that from the official records.

EDIT: Also, ghosts in Shadowrun are insanely strong. One or two of them or the werewolf alone can very much challenge a group. Twelve is a guaranteed party wipe.

OH! Yeah, that makes sense, then. The description, not the run.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skyscraper posted:

I think that's an in-character report from a large group play organization.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Tried out Masks: A New Generation.

I played Citizen 1, aka Una Marr, a 5th columnist from Communist Atlantis. Being free from outside influence, Atlantis succeeded as a communist country, and after a delayed invasion (during which the Soviet Union collapsed), they started infiltrating the world instead of conquering it. Una, 15, is the first operative in Halcyon City.

Her rival was the angry Panther, daughter of Madame Machina and Faceless Man.
Her sister Annie-Morph led to our first team-up; as Panther fought her sister, our team stopped her parents. Or tried to; the mission ended up in a destroyed first national bank. Panther liked to punch things, a lot.

Our trio was rounded out by Steel(cloud), who had invented a sentient nanite swarm from weird internet outlines. The swarm was powerful, but it would eventually convert his body if he didn't find a cure.
His garage (where he tinkered with the cloud) was our headquarters, despite his parents being home all the time, since their bank branch was being rebuilt.

The session was brief: we heard the crime alert, borrowed Steel's parents' car, and headed to the UN Building. Outside, terrorists from Soviet-satellite Tzardonia clashed with police. We defeated them handily (with Panther punching out two different villains without getting a scratch), but hired thug Demolition Man had different plans. In fact, he kept exploding (once when he was pissed off, again when he was knocked unconscious).

Despite our teams' best efforts, the Adults just didn't understand. The Tzardonian villains were let off with diplomatic immunity, the thugs were arrested, and our team angrily went for milkshakes. In the closing montage, we found out Panthers' parents are working with the Tzardonians.

We also saw Citizen 1 walk into the Daily Worker's offices, disguised as the head diplomat of Tzardonia, and stir the poo poo by telling the editor...
I want to destroy the United States!

---
Overall, the rules were good. We got a lot of movement out of "Provoke" (both Panther and Citizen 1 used it to gain advantage on their opponents). We did an hour of setup and 2 hours of play, so I can't judge long term how effective the system is. I personally feel each playbook could use more moves.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Update!

The players discovered a spy in their midst who sent their entire fleet breakdown and trading routes back to the Sith Lord, forcing them to scramble to update everything before they could be pincered and destroyed. Meanwhile, their recon mission was fruitful, insofar as their techs revealed that the Sith Lord had created four capital ships with "Particle Condensers," that pulled atoms together. Used against a starfighter, they would just crumple wings, but against planets, they would cause the core to destabilize and essentially destroy the entire planet (shamelessly stolen weaponry from Ender's Game)

One of their spies, a rescued Bothan, reported that the Emperor has a stealth drive prototype on Byss that they could steal and use to travel to the Sith Lord's flagship, sneak on board and get to the bridge and hopefully take him out once and for all, causing the cult of personality he's built to crumble.

Our doctor said "weapons that destroy whole planets? gently caress that!!" and pressed 'the button' to infect Coruscant with the Krytos Virus so they could take over the other Imperial shipyards and engage in heads-up combat. The party's mechanic (a Twi'lek who has a conscience) used her Bad Motivator ultimate to cause 'the button' to fail (which ended up being the techs saying they had to recalibrate the airburst bombs, which could take a few days).

We're moving towards a Big Rock Ending, and :iia:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I've never played in a good Star Wars game, but this sounds rad as hell. Than again, I've only played in a couple of short-lived ones. Maybe I should trick one of my friends into running a game.

I'm still running Pathfinder. Having solved the Orc problem near their home town, the party is moving their adventuring underground for the time being. The party for this adventure includes:

Barbarian
Rogue
Wizard
Cleric
Monk
Cavalier
Bard

The Ranger's player is not present for this game, so the Ranger is hanging out in his cabin overlooking the town.

In an earlier adventure, the party found an insane hermit living in a tiny cave in the forest west of the town. He had captured one of the townsfolk and the party was looking for the missing person. They found him, tied up in the hermit's cave. The hermit hadn't hurt him or anything, and was just yelling nonsense at him in a language no human knows. When the party moved to rescue the captive, the hermit retaliated by leveling a wand at the party. No one passed a Spellcraft check to ID the wand in a spit second, so the Barbarian knocked the hermit senseless with one stroke. As it turned out (after a random wand generation on the spot), the wand was a Wand of Animate Rope. The hermit was nuts, so it made a bit of sense. The party rescued the villager and left the hermit for the time being to be nuts all by himself in a hole in the ground (not before taking all his poo poo though).

But after that and the subsequent orc adventure, the party found some information back at the town that hinted that something might be mind controlling people from underground. Based on what they heard, it would account for the behavior of the mad hermit. So, off they go to chat with him again. The hermit is still in his little cave, a hole in the ground with a stone roof really, just being nuts. Same poo poo, different day. The party observes him and figures out that he must be being mind-controlled.

Then a random PC is picked to make a Will Save. The Monk passes, not surprisingly, and I describe the failed effect as "a momentary wave of dizziness." He reports this to the party, but they continue wasting time trying to interrogate the hermit and discussing strategy among themselves. Another PC is asked to make the same Will Save. The Cavalier passes this time. Same description. Now the Monk and the Cavalier are getting antsy, but everyone else is bizarrely ignoring the obvious warning signs of mind control magic oozing through the walls of the hermit's home. They keep talking, and the Monk wisely goes outside "to keep watch." Another PC is asked to make the Will Save. This time, the Barbarian fails it. He immediately stops, holds his hands up, and says in his character doesn't know (AKlo):

:black101: Innnnnnnnncoming message from the Scorpion Clan! Await further instructions!

The Cavalier speaks Aklo and translates. He also explains that this is the language of some fae creatures, and probably doesn't bode well. AS he does so, the Barbarian is issued a one-word Command (as per the spell), in his head, in Common:

KILL.

He is compelled to follow the command, if not for very long, but he is otherwise free to choose his interpretation. The only options he has are his own friends and the hermit, so he chooses the hermit. Luckily, the Cavalier stuck around and was the best equipped to step in the way and absorb the Barbarian's attack. After that, the party drags the hermit out of his home, literally kicking and screaming, to see if they can get him out of range of the mind control. In the process, the Barbarian knocks him out because the hermit did literally 1 HP of damage to him in the scrum. The party still wants to talk to the hermit, especially if they can get him outside the mind control zone. And the Cleric can wake him with a spell. Except...

:catholic: I'm not wasting a spell on this clown. Let's just dig.

Their thinking is that the source must be close, so if they start digging at the lowest point nearby (the bottom of the hermit's cave), they will find whatever is causing the hermit's madness. They had gathered some information to make the deduction based on what little they got out of the hermit's frothing, so I guess they had had enough with standing around getting mind controlled. So, they dig.

And they get somewhere. After a little while of digging and Will saves, they bust a hole in the earth under the hermit's dwelling. The Barbarian was the only one to fail his Reflex save and fell into the hole. Now he's legitimately pissed. This is not th8e Barbarian's day, which means inevitably it is definitely not going to be someone else's day, either.

The party spelunks around the tunnel complex they find themselves in. They find some Derro (insane, subterranean fae who are almost certainly accidentally wrapped up in some Lovecraftian poo poo they can't possibly understand), and the Derro are up to some poo poo. They have tables set up with crystals hooked up to fragile apparatuses, and they're wearing weird helmets festooned with wires and other fragile doodads not unlike the crystal apparatuses. They're holding one ear/the side of the helmet and talking into the crystals. The Cavalier translates and says that what they're saying makes little sense even knowing their language. It's a lot of this kind of thing:

:tinfoil: Affirmative. Scorpion Squad Seven en route. Zugzug-niner: Report.
:tinfoil: ...Repeat. The spider is in the web. Repeat...
:tinfoil: Bleep-Blorp to Gobbledeguck-zeta. Unknown agents in grid D-5, level 1. Repeat...

The party gives them a sound thrashing, and they manage to capture two of the Derro alive. One of the Derro recognizes the Wand of Animate Rope, and is pressed into saying that he didn't make it but he knows who did. Apparently there are a ton of other Derro, and there is one who churns out wands. The other Derro crushes a Bluff check that none of the PCs detects and "spills the beans" about "The Reverend Mother." the PCs press him for more information about that, and he reveals that she, whoever she is, is to the south. He continues acting like it is a bad thing that the PCs know this now.

It isn't. The Derro are afraid of the Drow Temple Matriarch that they just set the PCs moving toward. The Derro are much less of a threat to the PCs, and the Drow are down there as a much more long-term threat to the PCs and their town. But the PCs buy the ruse hook, line, and sinker, and move south, down a path the spirals slowly downward into the earth. They encountered some more Derro, killed them, then ran into a trap further down the passage.

The trap unleashed some knock out gas that KO'd the Bard and the Cleric at the start of the encounter. The rogue, who blew a check to disarm the trap, is by himself down the south end of the hall. The rest of the party is about 50 feet behind him at a "T" intersection between the west, east, and south passages. The party came from the west. Giant spiders come in from the east passage, and the Rogue is ambushed by something that mauls him (it is a Dark Lurker, one of those leathery, toothy things that falls form the ceiling). He's more of an INT rogue than a fighter, so he's hosed on his own in melee. The Monk runs after him to help, and he is ambushed by another Lurker. So the Barbarian leaves the Cavalier and Wizard to deal with the spiders and defend the still-unconscious Bard and Cleric. The Monk is able to pry his lurker off himself, and the Barbarian slays it easily. The Rogue is still embattled. Meanwhile, the Cavalier is taking a beating trying to hold the line by himself while the Wizard lays down support from behind. They don't want to give up any ground because the Cleric and Bard are unconscious right behind the Cavalier. After a few rounds, the spiders break through the Cavalier's choke point. One gets the Wizard into melee, and one moves to encase the Cleric in a web. The Monk and Barbarian have just finished killing the Rogue's Lurker, and just before they move to run and help the Cavalier, this happens:

:j: Who dares sully the threshold of my temple with the stench of humans?

A female voice echos through the chamber. Then, supernatural darkness blankets the "T" intersection. The Monk and Barbarian both charge into the darkness and are given a choice: move at full speed and risk a Reflex save to avoid tripping, or move at half movement and not get to the spiders in one round. They both charge in, top speed. They both fail. The Monk uncharacteristically falls on his face, and the Barbarian joins him seconds later. The Rogue can't see poo poo, so he doesn't risk shooting into the darkness. The Wizard gets lit up like a Christmas tree before the Cleric finally passes a Fortitude save to get the gently caress up. The Bard is still out cold. While the Cavalier and Cleric and Wizard desperately try to finish off the spiders, the Rogue hears a door open down the hall behind him, further to the south.

The Drow Temple Matriarch looks at the scene: two humans groping around in her darkness spell, three more battered by giant spiders, one unconscious, and the one closest to her badly wounded and alone. She says quietly to the Rogue:

:j: Annihilating you would be an affront to my dignity, let alone yours. Return when you have... composed yourselves. (Probably uncharacyeric for her, but I didn't feel a like TPK would be fun or appropriate here, so I was giving them a way out).

The rogue, who is an INT/CHA-type of guy, raises an eyebrow at this. Never one to waste an opportunity, he takes a chance:

:ninja: Sure, sure. Totally understandable. Hey, listen. Do you know anything about those Derro guys? That's the only reason we're here. If you could call them off, we'll leave.

:j: Youl'll leave regardless of-- Wait. What did you just say?

:ninja: The Derro. they were mind-controlling people on the surface. We just assumed you... had... something to do.... with.... oh. :sigh:

:j: I will deal with them. And you will leave.

The rest of the party finishes off the spiders. They wake the Bard, who got a nice nap out of the whole thing. Nothing ever got to him. They rejoin the Rogue at the tail-end of the negotiation. The Rogue explains to the group that the Derro misled them, and that they are in conflict with this Drow Matriarch. She hates them and wants to be rid of all of them. But the same applies to the PCs. The Rogue is pitching the "my enemy's enemy is my friend" kind of argument, that the Drow can help get rid of the Derro much more thoroughly than they could on their own. The Wizard (an elf) and the Cavalier (a half elf) aren't having it. They are in no condition to kill her on the spot, so they just want to get out before they do something everyone will regret. The Drow offers for them to come into the temple so that "we may pool our resources." The Rogue, Bard, and Cleric are overconfident enough in their numbers and resources that they think they can take her if things (inevitably) go wrong. But they genuinely want to collaborate with this psychopath that just tried to kill them all. The Monk is with the Wizard and Cavalier in leaving, if only for the sake of prudence.

That leaves the Barbarian, who has been having a really bad day. He got whacked by the hermit, mind controlled, fell down a hole, fell on his face twice in the darkness spell, and never even got to kill a giant spider. He hasn't even used a Rage power yet. Without saying anything, he tenses to Rage and spring at the Drow. I let the other PCs roll Perception to notice this, and the Wizard picks up on it. He puts the Barbarian to sleep with a spell before he can leap into melee with the Reverend Mother and probably get everyone killed.

He goes to sleep, dreaming the angriest dream.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Anyone have any stories about the bad kind of 'PvP,' you know, where it's not just interesting character enmity but actually a concerted metagamey effort to kill another character? I was going over a bad gaming story with friends where another player went waaaay out of their way make sure my dude died and just wondered who else had similar tales.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ellbent posted:

Anyone have any stories about the bad kind of 'PvP,' you know, where it's not just interesting character enmity but actually a concerted metagamey effort to kill another character? I was going over a bad gaming story with friends where another player went waaaay out of their way make sure my dude died and just wondered who else had similar tales.
I do, but none of them are particularly interesting. They all boil down to "guy wanted to kill me IC because he was pissy with me OOC, but it was 3.5 and I was playing a caster so I just killed him instead. No lessons were learned and no one felt good about the event."

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Probably the most bizarre case of "PvP" I've seen was a game of L5R I ran a few years ago. One of the players was a fierce munchkin, and hated having other players outshine him in any way. This time, one of the other players was playing a Daidoji Iron Warrior, who get to add their Honor rank to each level of health. This means that a Daidoji tends to have 50% more health or so, maybe even double depending on exact stats. Munchkin was playing a... Mirumoto Dragon I think. Doesn't really matter, the point was that Munchkin had boosted his difficulty to be hit as much as he could, and hated the fact that the Daidoji was still a better tank. So he kept trying to get the Daidoji to lose honor, mostly by stupid OOC pointing out every single minor thing the Daidoji player didn't explicitly say he was doing (like pointing out that the player didn't SAY he bowed when meeting someone else, which is technically a violation of etiquette. However, it's the sort of thing most groups assume characters are doing unless they explicitly say otherwise). I didn't let it work, but it was still petty and annoying (he didn't stay with our group for long after this point).
Unfortunately, since this was L5R and we were all still new to it (and I wasn't that experienced running games at all), the Daidoji died to a single bandit attack that exploded five or six times, quickly followed by a TPK to terrible, terrible dice rolls.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Kaza42 posted:

the Daidoji died to a single bandit attack that exploded five or six times

Is L5R that different from 7th Sea? In 7th Sea a killing blow required a separate called action so that it would be all cinematic. It was also set up that way so that PCs could spend their actions to stop it in time. It's been a while so I'm forgetting the exact terminology.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
L5R has a pretty long wound track, but once you're at the end you die. When people do multiple hits in a single attack that might easily each inflict 3d10, the exploding dice just help it out a bit.

It is explicitly meant to be that deadly though. There are rules for making it less so.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

goatface posted:

L5R has a pretty long wound track, but once you're at the end you die. When people do multiple hits in a single attack that might easily each inflict 3d10, the exploding dice just help it out a bit.

It is explicitly meant to be that deadly though. There are rules for making it less so.

L5R is pretty much explicitly based on the lethality of old samurai movies, and unless you've got Great Destiny or Dark Fate (which a lot of groups ban entirely), you're not the hero, you're one of the nameless extras that die in one or two hits.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ellbent posted:

When I was in middle school, about 10 of us started a budding friendship over gaming. There was a core of about four people who knew each other well and the rest of us joined the already existing world. Being middle-schoolers we all brought "legitimately rolled" characters to the table for an assault on the nine hells (per the articles in Dragon Magazine #75 and #76. Thanks Ed Greenwood!).

Of course the group was the biggest batch of Monty-Haul characters ever. I believe I was running (in the AD&D 1st edition) a dual-classed 18th level Magic User / 12th level Illusionist and a 20th level Cavalier with an assorted gaggle of henchmen and hangers-on.

Well it got so ridiculous that when we were finished with that campaign, the GM decided to make an Arch-arch enemy that would hunt down and exterminate all of these high level characters one at a time. For about two months our Saturdays were spent:

1. Gathering at GMs house.
2. Player X gets called into the GMs room while the rest of us play Seven Cities of Gold
3. GM throws a ridiculous collection of Instant-Death-By-Ambush at hapless Player X
4. Player X tears up character sheet
5. GM asks player X to get next character sheet
6. Repeat 3-5 for every high level character of Player X
7. Player X emerges from room near tears at the unfairness of GM
8. Player Y gets summons
9. go to 2

Until all the high level characters of everyone were killed off.

Looking back, it would have been best if the GM just said that he was ending that campaign and starting a new one with fresh characters, but what the hell did we know at twelve years old? Instead the GM decided to wrap up everything by killing everyone and leaving us all hostile.

The cool thing was that the Archmage became the focal point for he next campaign. We all rolled up level 1s and started the Temple of Elemental Evil as over time the GM took a permanent marker to his map of Greyhawk, indicating a black cloud that was forming over Iuz and slowly spreading over Oerth.Every weekend we'd play the next installment of Temple and every weekend we'd see that the Black Cloud got a few hexes bigger.

By the time we'd finished Temple we were all 9-10 level and ready to take on the Black Cloud which was about two feet across on the classic Greyhawk map.

It was a dark time for gaming as we all had our (bullshit) characters slaughtered, but the assault on the Archmage of the Black Cloud ended up awesome.

So I guess it was all's well that ends better. It's thirty years later and I still game with four of them.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 12, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

NinjaDebugger posted:

L5R is pretty much explicitly based on the lethality of old samurai movies, and unless you've got Great Destiny or Dark Fate (which a lot of groups ban entirely), you're not the hero, you're one of the nameless extras that die in one or two hits.

This is even after specifically the lethality being reduced in the later editions I think? I think 1E's poison rules were literally 'you get sick and die' and there weren't supposed to be resistance rolls?

But yeah, the card game was based on these super big name personalities doing these fantastic things, but the game itself was about being a two bit Samurai barely scrapping by and maybe by the end of the campaign you'll be relatively important. Maybe.

I say Was since it got bought out by Fantasy Flight and who knows where it's going now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Agrikk posted:

per the articles in Dragon Magazine #75

Oh man that full page ad on the first page. I wanna see just how groggy the world of HARN really is

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Super Waffle posted:

Oh man that full page ad on the first page. I wanna see just how groggy the world of HARN really is

Harn is awesome. It's actually a really good world setting that holds up well. It focuses on realism over murderhobo-ism, has a really good system for valuation of goods and magic is rare, mysterious and esoteric.

The HarnMaster rules, though. :sigh:

Super intricate magic system (good) but doing any fighting basically involves two people slugging it out until they get so tired they can't defend themselves anymore and leave themselves open to a killing blow. poo poo takes hours to resolve. The combat is so bad that we as players would do anything we could to avoid combat because it was such poo poo.

But I remember the campaigns we played on Harn like it was yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

ellbent posted:

First game of anything I ever played was AD&D with some friends from high school and my brother, with their dad DMing. I was playing a CN thief, and my brother was playing a Paladin. What the rest of the party was doesn't really matter-there was a single Cleric. I think we were playing Temple of Elemental Evil-all I remember was that we left Hommlet, hiked out to a ruin and were immediately set upon by giant toads. Mine and my brothers were the only characters who jumped in to fight them, and as a result my character got mangled. A great deal of discussion erupted at the table over whether or not the Cleric should waste a healing spell on a Thief. (I should note that I hadn't actually done anything to any of them at that point. I picked Thief with the notion of playing Catwoman in mind, not 'steal from the party and ruin everyone's fun'. They literally did not want to help a party member because it said 'Thief' on my character sheet.) After half an hour, the Cleric was coaxed into healing me by the Paladin, and the game continued. We didn't get very far, because the pattern kept repeating itself-trouble showed up, only the Paladin and the Thief would enter into combat, and there would be another protracted discussion about whether or not my character should be healed while I tried not to look too furious at my friends.

After the third time my character almost died, I started robbing them blind. I passed secret notes to the DM detailing my efforts to pick every last pocket and to steal every single item of loot they didn't literally have in their hands. When the party decided to leave the dungeon and head back to town, my character suggested that the Paladin might feel better sleeping in the barn with his horse rather than at the inn. He took my characters' advice, so while he was tending to the horses, and the party was drinking, I dropped a note to the DM detailing how my thief used her ill-gotten gains to buy enough pitch, poison and nails to make sure not a single one of them would escape their rooms when my character burned the inn to the ground.

The game (and my friendship with several of those people) ended with the thief tearing down the road as fast as her stolen horse would go, with the paladin hot on her heels, swearing to all the gods that he was going to bring her to justice. I don't know why the DM let the game go the way it did, especially the near TPK I pulled off at the end-he was probably as sick of the game as I was at that point. I'm fully aware that I was a jerk then, but thirteen year old me was frustrated and upset and bad at social skills.

WereJace fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 13, 2015