Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I keep expecting the Maximals to leap out from behind some of that 90's CG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I keep expecting the Maximals to leap out from behind some of that 90's CG

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rough Lobster posted:

You guys don't like the Locke character? From what little we've seen I like the guy. I like that they're making Chief the big bombastic hero who does insane stuff like jumping out of a building to grab onto a spaceship in order to break inside and punch an alien to death, thereby averting crisis. Meanwhile, Locke seems kinda like the low-key assassin type who gets poo poo done quietly in the shadows but still makes a crucial impact. That's the feeling I get out of him, and I really like those types of characters.

If anyone's read the book The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway, it has a good example of that dynamic in it between the two main characters.

Go watch the two opening videos to Halo 5. Its actually the direct opposite. Master Chief is cool toughguy who can smash aliens, but Locke is a literal anime character who can drop onto a planet from space and manage to skii-punch aliens to death on the way down. :jerkbag:

Love the variety.

Pathos posted:

I honestly, honestly cannot believe how awful this looks. I'm not being an rear end in a top hat. Stretched ground textures, horrible aliasing on the grass... Does this not matter to you, Mick?

Its a forge map.

Lol @ Horrible Aliasing. Notice the image isn't native resolution dude.

univbee posted:

What does this sequence even mean? Is the most recent build at the top or the bottom? Is that even what it is?

Its a forge map and the pictures mean you can change the season on your forge maps, which is a really nifty little touch.
Its really not hard to figure out.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Pathos posted:

Does this not matter to you, Mick?

Not in the slightest. Graphics to me are kinda like frosting on a cake. If the cake underneath is good then the frosting can be minimal. If the cake underneath sucks you need a lot of frosting to cover it up.

A lot of people may disagree with this but the cake that is halo multiplayer is really good to me, so I only need a bit of frosting to go with it.

Now I want some cake...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Launch gameplay trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_NXwqFvHc

There's not really much gameplay in it.

Also apparently 60GB size according to the retail box:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1122952

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Is this the first we've seen of actual promethan combat? First I've noticed.

Welp, confirmed that the promethean knights and doggies are coming back. (gently caress) Hopefully they fight different.

Also looks like some kinda new mega-knight enemy? @2:00

"The greatest hunt in gaming history" :jerkbag: I loving hate marketing so much.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Why does ONI want Halsey dead? She's been a valuable and compliant asset for years. Am I forgetting something from 4?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sunday at work posted:

Why does ONI want Halsey dead? She's been a valuable and compliant asset for years. Am I forgetting something from 4?

Yes, a plotline that happened only in the failure that is Spartan Ops, so nobody remembers it.

TLDR: She kinda went rogue and started doing her own studies, so the UNSC was like "hey stop that" and put her in custody. Then she communicated with a covenant revenant leader, M'dama, and was like "hey sup with all that technology you got, 's cool stuff" and kinda worked with him, which the UNSC was even less cool with. Finally some prometheans showed up and captured her, and then she went off and worked with the prometheans and covenant. The UNSC was really not cool with this and sent some people to go get her back, but in the fighting she ended up losing an arm (they do try to kill her), and she decides that the UNSC just wants her dead so she says "gently caress the UNSC" and joins up with the covenant (that she was already kinda working with?) to get her "revenege" against the UNSC (that she's spent her entire life sacrificing for?).

Its rather poorly written.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 12, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Still waiting for that Season 2 of Spartan Ops...

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
"It turns out Master Chief didn't go rogue after all and there's a bigger threat out there that we didn't know about! We should join forces!

*Cue slow motion cutscene of Master Chief, Blue Master Chief, and his Apprentice Chiefs walking towards the camera.

10/10 masterful story telling.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a forge map and the pictures mean you can change the season on your forge maps, which is a really nifty little touch.

So only the Forge map will use stretched out textures? :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, a plotline that happened only in the failure that is Spartan Ops, so nobody remembers it.

I have a friend who just loved Spartan Ops. He didn't remember that Halsey turned on the UNSC and kept calling me a liar when I told him otherwise.

He's a huge Halo buff and he couldn't even remember this story twist.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

jivjov posted:

Comes out October 27th.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Almost Smart posted:

"It turns out Master Chief didn't go rogue after all and there's a bigger threat out there that we didn't know about! We should join forces!

*Cue slow motion cutscene of Master Chief, Blue Master Chief, and his Apprentice Chiefs walking towards the camera.

10/10 masterful story telling.

finish the fight in halo 6!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So only the Forge map will use stretched out textures? :v:

Yeah. Which makes enough sense. Normal maps look fine, you can view pictures or videos of them online. The campaign maps are actually really well detailed and look very cutting-edge in the graphics department.

Another thing is that this version of Forge actually lets you grab terrain geometry and drag it around, and it actually tries to match the textures and stitch things together so they look natural. One of the developers said "I was dragging parts of the map around and it was breaking people's heads". Forge gives you a TON of freedom, and that freedom with console power comes at a cost. The cost is that forge maps just don't look as good as hand-crafted developer maps. That's just how it is. I'm fine with that.

Good looking normal maps + somewhat lovely forge maps is better than good looking normal maps + nothing else.

Also you can forge on the non-forge-specific maps if you want to, you just have less of a budget to work with.

The forge maps are big empty canvases for people to come up with fun maps on that won't look as good. That's fine!

I have a friend who just loved Spartan Ops. He didn't remember that Halsey turned on the UNSC and kept calling me a liar when I told him otherwise.

He's a huge Halo buff and he couldn't even remember this story twist.

Yeah they really dropped the ball.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jivjov posted:

One day 343 will finish a Halo game.

I hope 5 is a good game. My Xbone has been a Destiny and 2K machine for too long.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maneki Neko posted:

Comes out October 27th.

Are they actually doing a Chapter 2 with Halo 5? I could get behind each Halo game having a sub-campaign too..

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a forge map.

no, its lower than nantive so it should be less aliased than the acutal image lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Why are the bottom pic's cliffs completely different, then? Did they simulate erosion?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

univbee posted:

Why are the bottom pic's cliffs completely different, then? Did they simulate erosion?

Slightly different camera position, combined with different textures for mountains and a different skybox. I think the models are the exact same, but they do have a "snow mountain" and a "dirt mountain" texture.

Although looking at it more you could probably get the same effect with just color correction and no different textures.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 12, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

we need a more thorough analysis of some forge pictures

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

jivjov posted:

Are they actually doing a Chapter 2 with Halo 5? I could get behind each Halo game having a sub-campaign too..

No, it was just a bad joke :(

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

univbee posted:

The directive was to make all mounds jiggle and fluctuate in size.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SelenicMartian posted:

The directive was to make all mounds jiggle and fluctuate in size.

I'm just glad Anim8 was able to justify his job with Cortana out of the game now.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a forge map.

There is a zero percent chance that 343 has variable texture quality on ground textures, grass textures, etc depending on whether or not the Forge is active. I'm sorry.

Also, transparency AA multisampling has been a feature of gfx cards since roughly 2007. Not sure why the XBox One couldn't manage that here -- unless the screenshot is that out of date that it just wasn't enabled (which is possible). The "image isn't native resolution" has absolutely nothing to do with that, by the way: check the aliasing on the grass compared to literally any other edge in the whole scene. It's constant on the grass (irrespective of grass size / distance from camera) and not anywhere else.

Anyway, let's talk about the use meme music from 2006 in the release trailer. Appropos.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah. Which makes enough sense. Normal maps look fine, you can view pictures or videos of them online. The campaign maps are actually really well detailed and look very cutting-edge in the graphics department.

Another thing is that this version of Forge actually lets you grab terrain geometry and drag it around, and it actually tries to match the textures and stitch things together so they look natural. One of the developers said "I was dragging parts of the map around and it was breaking people's heads". Forge gives you a TON of freedom, and that freedom with console power comes at a cost. The cost is that forge maps just don't look as good as hand-crafted developer maps. That's just how it is. I'm fine with that.

Good looking normal maps + somewhat lovely forge maps is better than good looking normal maps + nothing else.

Also you can forge on the non-forge-specific maps if you want to, you just have less of a budget to work with.

The forge maps are big empty canvases for people to come up with fun maps on that won't look as good. That's fine!

Fair enough. I liked Forge but felt like it was more fun making poo poo than actually playing the game.

A friend of mine would spend days making a map and then never play it. Then he'd just start again.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Pathos posted:

There is a zero percent chance that 343 has variable texture quality on ground textures, grass textures, etc depending on whether or not the Forge is active. I'm sorry.

Also, transparency AA multisampling has been a feature of gfx cards since roughly 2007. Not sure why the XBox One couldn't manage that here -- unless the screenshot is that out of date that it just wasn't enabled (which is possible). The "image isn't native resolution" has absolutely nothing to do with that, by the way: check the aliasing on the grass compared to literally any other edge in the whole scene. It's constant on the grass (irrespective of grass size / distance from camera) and not anywhere else.

Anyway, let's talk about the use meme music from 2006 in the release trailer. Appropos.

Nerd

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pathos posted:

Lol, you completely misunderstood. Its not "forge is active so LOD kicked in"

That is a forge specific map. That map does not exist by default for any game modes in the game. They literally made empty sandboxes for forge, 3 of them. They have noticeably shittier quality than the normal maps because they're designed to have the largest forge budgets possible.

Fair enough. I liked Forge but felt like it was more fun making poo poo than actually playing the game.

A friend of mine would spend days making a map and then never play it. Then he'd just start again.

Yeah that does happen. Part of that is just learning to get good as a map maker, its a true skill and it takes practice. Look at Mario Maker, that game is tons of fun even if most people suuuuck at level design. So you don't want to play the things they made, but with intuitive GUI controls its pretty fun to make your own levels, and if you learn enough eventually you get to where you make levels that actually ARE fun to play. :)

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol, you completely misunderstood. Its not "forge is active so LOD kicked in"

That is a forge specific map. That map does not exist by default for any game modes in the game. They literally made empty sandboxes for forge, 3 of them. They have noticeably shittier quality than the normal maps because they're designed to have the largest forge budgets possible.

Fair enough. I guess we'll see in a few weeks! But I'm going to guess that screenshot is more representative than not - granted, not in the emptiness, but in terms of overall asset/texture quality

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pathos posted:

That's a work in progress screenshot of an empty forge map made with the forge sandbox map, its really horrible to hold that up as indicative of the game's quality. I'm not sure if its just cheap grass for Forge using billboards or if it was just a particular setup that didn't look good, but comeon, why are you sitting here arguing this like they don't have footage of the grass in the game how it is going to look on normal maps?

Just go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0jwmUZEX7Q already, set youtube to 1080p60, and check out the grass.

It doesn't look like completely amazing or anything, I've definitely seen better grass in some games, but it works (warzone is a pretty big game mode with lots going on to be fair) and it doesn't look like "lol 2007 graphix" like you're saying.

So just... stop. Okay?

Pathos posted:

Fair enough. I guess we'll see in a few weeks! But I'm going to guess that screenshot is more representative than not - granted, not in the emptiness, but in terms of overall asset/texture quality

See above. There's already video of the final stuff, and it looks decent-to-good depending. Campaign looks really good, warzone looks pretty good, forge looks lovely, that's fine by me.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 12, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Just go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvp9bhvgwLQ already, skip to like 2:20 and look at the grass. Make sure you set youtube to 1080p60.

It doesn't look like completely amazing or anything, I've definitely seen better grass in some games, but it works (warzone is a pretty big game mode with lots going on to be fair) and it doesn't look like "lol 2007 graphix" like you're saying.

no tha tsitll looks just as poo poo actually

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stux posted:

no tha tsitll looks just as poo poo actually

That video looks blurry, I'm not sure if the source was really 1080. I replaced the video in my post with another which seems a little clearer.

The lighting blurs everything a little which I'm not crazy about but the grass looks fine.

Stux gonna stux though.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Stux gonna stux though.

Halo sharktank thread

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Just go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0jwmUZEX7Q already, set youtube to 1080p60, and check out the grass.

Yeah, you're right. That does look better. A lot better, actually. That's a better sign. Thanks for pointing that out -- I was having some real trouble understanding the excitement.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

That video looks blurry, I'm not sure if the source was really 1080. I replaced the video in my post with another which seems a little clearer.

The lighting blurs everything a little which I'm not crazy about but the grass looks fine.

Stux gonna stux though.

no evenn in that vid the grass is still stupid aliased outside of 2 feet and looks liek poo poo even when closer and not aliased ot poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stux posted:

no evenn in that vid the grass is still stupid aliased outside of 2 feet and looks liek poo poo even when closer and not aliased ot poo poo.

Pretty smooth for console dude

Pathos posted:

Yeah, you're right. That does look better. A lot better, actually. That's a better sign. Thanks for pointing that out -- I was having some real trouble understanding the excitement.

Yeah no worries, you were just taking a screenshot out of context.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/12/halo-5-guardians-install-size-revealed

quote:

Halo 5: Guardians will require up to 60GB of space on your Xbox One hard drive.

Halobox.

That's drat big for a non-MMO :stare:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

pulling a titanfall with 34gigs of uncompressed audio?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

It's fairly big, but not really surprising. I'm just glad I can preload.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Titanfall at least supported multiple audio languages, does Halo do that too? I know the old halo games were available in other languages for cutscenes but I don't think it was all on one disc.

Even with 30GB of uncompressed audio it'd still be a pretty drat big game for a non-MMO. For a console game that's insane.

Good thing its one of like 3 games I care to own on Xbone :cheeky: (MCC, Halo 5, Rare Replay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I wouldn't read into the 60 gig size too much, they tend to put a guess of how big it'll be with all the DLC. Halo MCC's package says 80 gigs, for instance. We do know the multiplayer will be in the day one patch content but that might not mean >50 gigs (at least 3 current gen games are missing critical data on disc for a reason other than Blu-ray storage capacity)

• Locked thread