Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

sharknado slashfic posted:

Are you saying that people should vote against their own interests because that would make you...a republican.

:wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Are you saying that people should vote against their own interests because that would make you...a republican.

identity politics aren't real interests, comrade

to the guillotine with you

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

identity politics aren't real interests, comrade

to the guillotine with you

I am undone!

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

MaxxBot posted:

Myself and the gun owners I know don't view these people as any more reasonable than you do. These people do not represent the typical gun owner unless most gun owners are lying in polls about their gun control opinions.

This rapidly disintegrates into a No True Scotsman though because what happens is someone votes for the bill and then get primaried by the extreme right wing while "reasonable gun owners" look on and wring their hands.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 12, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Jade Helm 15's only direct victim was Joementum. The collateral damage was this thread though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd just like to interject to remind everybody that the mentally ill in America are ENORMOUSLY more likely to be the victim of violence than the cause of it, and the scapegoating of them doesn't make sense when it comes to guns. "Oh well they're just crazy" is a terrible thing to say. If you are gunned down, odds are it was somebody in their right mind who had motivations that aren't so easy to pigeonhole

I don't want any legislation meant to help the mentally ill to include a single word about guns because I'd like to see it pass before 2030

We aren't up against guns here as much as we're up against the fact that property supersedes human life in our culture. Okay back to skipping page after page until I see political news

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Taeke posted:

You're all loving insane. Or maybe it's just your political system, or culture or whatever. This is all so obviously hosed up and the fact that it's somehow impossible to even debate this poo poo like adults, let alone fix this loving obvious problem is indicative of something being fundamentally wrong with how you do... politics? Law? Society? Life in general?

I'm stepping out until you move past this perverse sadomasochistic gun control circlejerk so I can enjoy politicians being stupid again. I guess I've accepted that dozens of literal schoolchildren can be killed without anything being done to prevent that in the future, and just be glad I live in a somewhat saner part of the world.

Things weren't perfect before 2001/09/11, but America collectively lost its mind in the aftermath. We're jumping at our own shadows and still obsessing over terrorism even though we're losing orders of magnitude more people to lack of health care.

Anybody willing to bet that we'll eventually end up with an anti-Islam version of HUAC before this madness ends? I want either money or to be pleasantly surprised.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 12, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Peanut3141 posted:

Things weren't perfect before 2001/11/09, but America collectively lost its mind in the aftermath. We're jumping at our own shadows and still obsessing over terrorism even though we're losing orders of magnitude more people to lack of health care.

Anybody willing to bet that we'll eventually end up with an anti-Islam version of HUAC before this madness ends? I want either money or to be pleasantly surprised.

I think you mean 09/11/2001 :911:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

I did gently caress it up, but only by putting 2001/11/09 instead of 2001/09/11. I believe most people who've dealt with a directory full of log files will back me on this.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Peanut3141 posted:

Things weren't perfect before 2001/11/09, but America collectively lost its mind in the aftermath. We're jumping at our own shadows and still obsessing over terrorism even though we're losing orders of magnitude more people to lack of health care.

Given that it's over a decade out and there are no signs of such a thing whatsoever, I think that's actually an incredibly stupid bet on your part. I'd love to take it for nearly any amount of money, but the lack of any sort of definite end date on your side makes it a non-starter since no one would be able to collect.

Peanut3141 posted:

I did gently caress it up, but only by putting 2001/11/09 instead of 2001/09/11. I believe most people who've dealt with a directory full of log files will back me on this.
A committee to investigate this sort of subversive behavior on the other hand...

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

LGD posted:

Given that it's over a decade out and there are no signs of such a thing whatsoever, I think that's actually an incredibly stupid bet on your part. I'd love to take it for nearly any amount of money, but the lack of any sort of definite end date on your side makes it a non-starter since no one would be able to collect.

A committee to investigate this sort of subversive behavior on the other hand...

You wouldn't consider this a sign?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._King#Radicalization_hearings

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

LGD posted:

/

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

this_is_hard posted:

9/11/2012 changed everything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So Chris Christie just declared that he would start a shooting war with Russia over Syria (http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...a/?ref=politics)

quote:

Languishing at the bottom in polls of the Republican presidential field, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey ramped up his tough talk on foreign policy on Monday, calling President Obama a “weakling” and saying that the United States should threaten to shoot down Russian planes conducting airstrikes in Syria.

“My first phone call would be to Vladimir, and I’d say, ‘Listen, we’re enforcing this no-fly zone,'” Mr. Christie said on MSNBC. “And I mean we’re enforcing it against anyone, including you. So don’t try me. Don’t try me. Because I’ll do it.”

Mr. Christie went on to say that Mr. Putin was “punching above his weight” and called Mr. Obama “this weakling in the White House.”

In a separate interview on Fox News, Mr. Christie said the United States faced a choice between letting Russia try to reconstitute the Soviet Union by expanding its influence in the Middle East or engaging in a military confrontation. Asked whether he thought it was wise to engage in a military conflict with Russia if it breached such an American no-fly zone, Mr. Christie said it would be necessary.

“You take him down,” Mr. Christie said, referring to Russian warplanes.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

So Chris Christie just declared that he would start a shooting war with Russia over Syria (http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...a/?ref=politics)

hes certainly pandering to the "Pro-Nuclear Holocaust" demo

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

President Chris Christie personally scrounges the smoldering wreck of every Russian airplane, quickly devouring whatever Chicken Kiev he can find

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Republicans love to describe the president as strong/weak/brave/cowardly in regards to ordering other people to go into war, as if the president's own quality of life would be in any way impacted by the decision.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

You mean the thing from 5 years ago that got no traction whatsoever? No, I wouldn't really consider that a sign of the incipient emergence of a new anti-Muslim HUAC. Part of being a "new HUAC" means that such a thing would need to be taken seriously, and I just can't see such a thing getting past the "red meat to the most racist parts of our base" stage. I mean I can absolutely be unpleasantly surprised by just how shitheaded Republicans are, but barring a badly-timed ISIS-related terrorist attack ushering in President Trump as part of a Republican landslide I just don't see it escalating to anywhere near the level you're talking about.

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 12, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tender Bender posted:

Republicans love to describe the president as strong/weak/brave/cowardly in regards to ordering other people to go into war, as if the president's own quality of life would be in any way impacted by the decision.

This just proves that Teddy was the best president. :colbert:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Why do so many of these dorks have a massive boner over going to war with Russia?

That definitely seems like a bad idea.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm sure someone will post about it when something new comes up but I think we're still in a holding pattern while Boehner and crew figure out what the gently caress to do.

Every press conference I see Boehner at he has a giant poo poo eating grin on his face. The current clusterfuck is his "gently caress You" to the Tea Party.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

various cheeses posted:

Why do so many of these dorks have a massive boner over going to war with Russia?

They're delusional and/or stupid and/or pandering to a base that is both of those things?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

various cheeses posted:

Because Reagan wanted to bomb Russia (before he saw The Day After and then signed a bunch of missile treaties).

No I'm not joking, he was so affected by that movie he did a complete 180 on being ok with using nukes on Russia and started working with them to bad nukes.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

various cheeses posted:

They grew up fearing the Red Menace.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

various cheeses posted:

They're pandering to a base that wants a belligerent rear end in a top hat willing to do whatever it takes to make them feel like winners again.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

LGD posted:

You mean the thing from 5 years ago that got no traction whatsoever? No, I wouldn't really consider that a sign of the incipient emergence of a new anti-Muslim HUAC. Part of being a "new HUAC" means that such a thing would need to be taken seriously, and I just can't see such a thing getting past the "red meat to the most racist parts of our base" stage. I mean I can absolutely be unpleasantly surprised by just how shitheaded Republicans are, but barring a badly-timed ISIS-related terrorist attack ushering in President Trump as part of a Republican landslide I just don't see it escalating to anywhere near the level you're talking about.

I don't think it'll take a terrorist attack to get a Republican in the presidential office. It might be <50% likely, but it's not a remote possibility. I could see such a thing happening under a Trump, Carson or Fiorina presidency, the top three polling candidates at the moment.

It seems like a crapshoot whether we'll come to our senses regarding Islam before the stars align and we end up with extreme right-wing dominance in House/Senate/Presidency. Do you not think they'd pander to that base with a pointless subcommittee? We're a year and a half into the Benghazi committee.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Forty or so years of being told "Russia = Bad" and about ten of realizing that blowing up random groups of Arabs isn't nearly as good a motivator for polarizing the public so you can get away with things 'for their own good' and spending trillions on completely pointless military expenditures.

Seriously.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tempest_56 posted:

Forty or so years of being told "Russia = Bad" and about ten of realizing that blowing up random groups of Arabs isn't nearly as good a motivator for polarizing the public so you can get away with things 'for their own good' and spending trillions on completely pointless military expenditures.

Seriously.

Christie is only 53 so he only got, say, 25 years tops of Russia = Devil. But he would have been about 21 when Red Dawn came out, which I suspect is the true cause here.

We're about 10 years from a gen xer Republican using "avoid the noid" unironically as a campaign slogan.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The "languishing at the bottom in polls" intro contains most of what is going on there, I think.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

The "languishing at the bottom in polls" intro contains most of what is going on there, I think.

Yeah, if you want to know why christie said that I'll give you a clue: we are now talking about chris christie

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

YodaTFK posted:

I don't actually support banning silencers, I think it's a pointless ban of a useless accessory. But thats kind of the thing here. Supposedly reasonable gun owners are fixating on this and somehow not actually supporting reform. Why is it that when gun control shows up in D&D the TFR crowd shows up to mock dumb poo poo and not post about the actual reforms they think would fix the problems?

Fix social economic inequality, universal access to healthcare should be a great start.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I don't think they want a war with Russia. They just want to threaten Russia that they're seriously, not bluffing, going to shoot down their planes if they don't knock it off, and Russia will be so afraid they will immediately comply.

In practice, yes, their actions do mean war.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Guys, :siren:breaking news that might disqualify Hillary!:siren:

quote:

Hillary Clinton says there’s a pretty simple explanation for why she never appears to sweat: She’s a robot who's “not even a human being.”

“I was constructed in a garage in Palo Alto a very long time ago,” a laughing Clinton told Heben Nigatu and Tracy Clayton, hosts of BuzzFeed’s “Another Round” podcast, on Sunday. “People think that, you know, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, they created it. Oh no. I mean a man whose name shall remain nameless created me in his garage.”

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Ga-Confederate-flag-supporters-face-terrorism-charges-332118522.html

quote:

Individuals associated with a group of Confederate flag supporters in Douglas County, Ga., have been indicted on terrorism charges, it was announced on Monday.

The charges are related to a July 25 incident in which members of a group called Respect the Flag drove a convoy of vehicles displaying Confederate flags through a neighborhood in Douglasville, when they were involved in an altercation with residents outside a home where a children's birthday party was taking place.

According to a July 27 Atlanta Journal-Constitution report, those engaged in the confrontation offered conflicting accounts of what happened.

Residents said the demonstrators entered their neighborhood and started shouting racial slurs.

"One had a gun, saying he was gonna kill the n******," Melissa Alford, who was holding the birthday party, told the paper. "Then one of them said, 'Gimme the gun, I'll shoot them n******."

Levi Bush, one of the drivers, told the paper the convoy had been attacked by residents throwing rocks, and after he got a flat tire the residents swarmed his truck and threatened him.

Video of the altercation, during which police are seen separating the demonstrators from residents, was later posted online

On Monday the Douglas County District Attorney's Office released a letter stating that following an investigation by local police and the D.A., a grand jury handed down indictments charging individuals from Respect the Flag with violations of the state's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act and making terroristic threats.

There was no indication how many people were indicted, but George jail records show at least four people have already been arrested.

Two members of the group were also indicted on battery charges in a separate incident that took place that same day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfSMvTu6pq0

Needless to say, Facebook is blowing up here in Georgia, somehow making this about Muslims.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

SedanChair posted:

Pretty sure I did that, voting for both Bush and Obama after all.

water shoots out of my nose

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Heritage, not hate. :heritage:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's because we're supposed to be the only ones that can unilaterally go into another country and blow poo poo up. (Or someone we've given the OK)

The only thing that has worked to get more gun control in this country is having minorities with large guns show up at courthouses and polling/voting places. If polling places had an armed cadre of "concerned (minority) citizens" protecting them I bet you'd see some action. A bunch of armed brown and/or black people on TV during the 2016 election? You know there'd be way more talk about "Well, clearly we should think about who can access these dangerous weapons." Or they'd all get shot as some paranoid fucker saw a non-white person with a gun and starting shooting.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

various cheeses posted:

If the parties flip flopped on gun control I'd never vote for a republican again. Unfuck your party and maybe I'll consider giving them my votes again.

As much as I detest gun control I care about progressive issues more.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

various cheeses posted:

Why do you keep voting for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The :siren:s are not even ironic at this point.

• Locked thread