Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

Dumb, stupid, weak, pathetic, white, white... uh, um, guilt, white guilt, milquetoast, piece of human garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The end of the man vs car show too "haha wouldnt, wouldnt the car win every time??"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
little bits

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KoRMaK posted:

The end of the man vs car show too "haha wouldnt, wouldnt the car win every time??"

Yeah exactly. :haw:

And you can really tell during the How they do it: Plumbuses that he's just pulling things out of his rear end too.

Like it starts out really random, but then halfway through he's running out of ideas, "Then a schlami shows up, and he rubs it.... and spits on it...?"

The show has so many hilarious quotes.

"Ham-urai, Ahmish-Cyborg, what is this, 90s Conan?"

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Rick can't go to another universe after the wedding because:

1) The device that he uses to find a new universe appears to be part of his ship, which he left on planet Squanch. He can't go get more supplies from home, either, because the Federation will be waiting for him here. Even if he could dimension-hop, he'd be flying blind and have to either luck into the correct dimension or steal another Rick's ship. But of course, he can't dimension-hop because...

2) He blew up his portal gun. His ship seems to be capable of dimension-hopping as well, but of course it's gone. The only other way through would be dimensional customs, which, as previously established, is run by the Federation.

3) There's an infinite number of universes, but Rick probably doesn't have access to them all. See previous posts about the "central finite curve." He could find a place to live, and probably for Morty, but maybe not for his family, too. And who knows if they'd be down for it anyway.

There. Too much thought put into it, but less than some people posting here while missing some basic information.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick can't go to another universe because it would make for bad, hacky storytelling.

Simple as that. Harmon loves story and story structure. To have a character just, restart everything isn't satisfying or interesting. It was in Rick Potion because it had consequences. They still followed the structure, but they just added a nice little twist to the end.

It just confuses my why you would need any more explanation other than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't need anything, I just like talking and speculating about Rick and Morty. :v:

"Because its bad storytelling" is a bad reason. If Rick simply overlooks something he could have done because it would have been "hacky", that's a plot hole. Its not the end of the universe or anything but Rick and Morty isn't the kind of lazy show that does that, its pretty drat creative. "It would take him a long time to make a new portal gun" is a perfectly fitting answer though.

I'm not asking questions like I'm going to hate the show or lose my mind if there's no answer. I'm asking questions because I have complete faith that there are already answers to all this and more, and I just want to explore that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 12, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The answer really is that it would be a bad story, though. Rick gets the family to another dimension where they aren't hunted and the only thing we'll get out of it is "Hey, this is a weird place!" You don't get a scene of Rick finally coming to terms with himself, that he ruins the lives of people that love him.

I would not want to live in that universe, I'll tell you what.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't need anything, I just like talking and speculating about Rick and Morty. :v:

"Because its bad storytelling" is a bad reason. If Rick simply overlooks something he could have done because it would have been "hacky", that's a plot hole. Its not the end of the universe or anything but Rick and Morty isn't the kind of lazy show that does that, its pretty drat creative. "It would take him a long time to make a new portal gun" is a perfectly fitting answer though.

I'm not asking questions like I'm going to hate the show or lose my mind if there's no answer. I'm asking questions because I have complete faith that there are already answers to all this and more, and I just want to explore that.

Your faith is unfounded.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Um, ouch? Good one? I don't see what's wrong with discussing these things. What else are we going to post?

"good episode"
"yes, that was a good one"

Did you just watch the show for the first time or something?

Almost everything you've brought up ("Rixty Minutes sounds like it's improv when they stumble on their words! that's cool!" "Check out this obscure Community reference where they describe Community exactly and then literally show it on the screen, anyone else notice this?") has been discussed over and over for a while now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The answer really is that it would be a bad story, though. Rick gets the family to another dimension where they aren't hunted and the only thing we'll get out of it is "Hey, this is a weird place!" You don't get a scene of Rick finally coming to terms with himself, that he ruins the lives of people that love him.

I would not want to live in that universe, I'll tell you what.

That's being ridiculously restrictive. You're kinda mixing in an argument of theme while I was arguing plot, while also strawmaning the other possibility. I mean yeah, if they just hit the reset button and then said "that's all folks!" it'd do nothing. But that's not all you can do? You could have it so that the best universe Rick could find could be slightly off in some way, and that way keeps coming back to gently caress with us in the future, or every few episodes or something. Like how Mr.Poopy-Butthole has become a bigger thing. Or you could have it so that Rick just takes everybody to another universe like he did with Rick Potion, and he doesn't care; but unlike Morty who was traumatized but put up with it because he's a kid, you have Beth and Jerry start a fight with Rick or something. Maybe Jerry decides its too much and that creates a rift between him and Beth? I dunno, I'm not a writer, but you're acting like they couldn't do anything with it and they could do infinite things with it.

Again, arguing plot, if the reason is "we couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't be boring so we just had to have Rick do something not very Rick" that's bad writing too. And they're better than that. They can do something that works for the plot and works thematically too. Which is what they are doing, what they always do.

You seem to be completely misunderstanding me. I'm not saying "They should have gone to another universe!" at all. I was simply asking "so why didn't Rick do that?" and I already got some decent answers. Relax dude.

Last Chance posted:

Did you just watch the show for the first time or something?

Almost everything you've brought up ("Rixty Minutes sounds like it's improv when they stumble on their words! that's cool!" "Check out this obscure Community reference where they describe Community exactly and then literally show it on the screen, anyone else notice this?") has been discussed over and over for a while now.

No but its my first time to the thread, Sorry. I don't post in TV/IV very often but I do love me some R&M.

I was having a good conversation with some other goons about it though :v: If nobody had replied I wouldn't have had anything else to say.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 12, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm very relaxed, yo. I'm just not into "But what if he did this!" like the show was some kind of plot generator. It was written by someone and was designed to be a certain way. It just seems weird playing the "WHAT IF" game. I'm no expert on reading stories, but I'd rather see people engage with the text, as opposed to trying to find a different out come. It's just dull.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Zaphod42 posted:

That's being ridiculously restrictive. You're kinda mixing in an argument of theme while I was arguing plot, while also strawmaning the other possibility. I mean yeah, if they just hit the reset button and then said "that's all folks!" it'd do nothing. But that's not all you can do? You could have it so that the best universe Rick could find could be slightly off in some way, and that way keeps coming back to gently caress with us in the future, or every few episodes or something. Like how Mr.Poopy-Butthole has become a bigger thing. Or you could have it so that Rick just takes everybody to another universe like he did with Rick Potion, and he doesn't care; but unlike Morty who was traumatized but put up with it because he's a kid, you have Beth and Jerry start a fight with Rick or something. Maybe Jerry decides its too much and that creates a rift between him and Beth? I dunno, I'm not a writer, but you're acting like they couldn't do anything with it and they could do infinite things with it.

Again, arguing plot, if the reason is "we couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't be boring so we just had to have Rick do something not very Rick" that's bad writing too. And they're better than that. They can do something that works for the plot and works thematically too. Which is what they are doing, what they always do.

You seem to be completely misunderstanding me. I'm not saying "They should have gone to another universe!" at all. I was simply asking "so why didn't Rick do that?" and I already got some decent answers. Relax dude.

:catstare:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Too many words in these posts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I tend to be pretty verbose and rambly, sorry. I'll try to slim it down in el futuro.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

good episode

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

good episode

:agreed:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe one of the best episodes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I tend to be pretty verbose and rambly, sorry. I'll try to slim it down in el futuro.

Yes please. I'm getting sick of your wide-eyed optimism and interest on the subject of this cartoon. It clashes with my grizzled neckbearded, anti social ways.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Yes please. I'm getting sick of your wide-eyed optimism and interest on the subject of this cartoon. It clashes with my grizzled neckbearded, anti social ways.

This but also I don't like too many words because I'm barely literate; please post less words

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I regret Potion #9 happening because now everyone keeps taking spawning theories over what is a one-off dark gag. The show could afford to do it early on when the cast was less developed, but now that the family is more fleshed out it would be a cheat to simply abandon them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's not the writers fault. But I agree with you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought they did a pretty good job of having Rick spell it out that it wouldn't ever happen again, but I guess not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wasn't saying abandon the family though, I was saying abandon the world. Keep the family together, because yeah, that's pretty important now.

Plus things like the Dumb Rick being friends with Jerry means inter-dimensional stuff can still be familial.

What if Beth and Jerry divorce only to marry the Jerry and Beth of another dimension? (Although their divorce seems much less likely after Rixty Minutes, and that ending was really good)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't saying abandon the family though, I was saying abandon the world. Keep the family together, because yeah, that's pretty important now.

Plus things like the Dumb Rick being friends with Jerry means inter-dimensional stuff can still be familial.

What if Beth and Jerry divorce only to marry the Jerry and Beth of another dimension? (Although their divorce seems much less likely after Rixty Minutes, and that ending was really good)

I can't imagine a world on the central finite curve where Jerry and Beth have a happy marriage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

I can't imagine a world on the central finite curve where Jerry and Beth have a happy marriage.

Right, so I was thinking I'd be funny if they find another world where they get divorced at the same time they're getting divorced, but then you pull a ... what was that one movie? Where each person falls in love with the other version of themselves.

I dunno. Having 2 of the same character wouldn't work for too long, so they'd have to like kill off one couple of Beth & Jerry or something. That could be funny though.

Like they can do the Council of Ricks and that's great, but it'd be weird having too many other Ricks hanging around for too long. Unless it was like Dumb Rick who is significantly unique in character.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I really don't need to see Beth and Jerry's marriage somehow survive a harrowing domestic problem again. But I know that horse hasn't yet been beaten totally to death so i'm expecting to see it next season.

I mean, who knows? Maybe Jerry will actually do really, really well in the new Galactic Government controlled earth and really gently caress up the whole family dynamic by just being a well adjusted individual. That might be interesting.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Yesterday I remembered it was Sunday and though to myself "yay, Rick and Morty!" and then got sad when I remembered that last week was the season finale. Very cool story I know, lots of twists and turns.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Squall posted:

Yesterday I remembered it was Sunday and though to myself "yay, Rick and Morty!" and then got sad when I remembered that last week was the season finale. Very cool story I know, lots of twists and turns.

distinct lack of ellipses. reporting for fraud.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PostNouveau posted:

I thought they did a pretty good job of having Rick spell it out that it wouldn't ever happen again, but I guess not.

He said they could do it maybe three or four more times. The answers people have given that the "finite curve" means trying to find a matching universe that'd fit the whole family, even if Rick had all his equipment back, isn't possible is a perfectly reasonable answer built out of things the show's already established.

It's a little too late if they didn't want people thinking about this stuff, considering they hung the finale on drama and character development that needs you to buy into the premise a little to actually work. That's part of the reason some people have expressed frustration about the show "going up its own rear end", because this is the start of having to explain things like why exactly Rick didn't fix the problem with dimension-hopping like he has in the past. It's unfair to say people are overthinking it just by asking the question when the show starts taking itself at least half-seriously.

There's still room for them to pull the rug out from under everyone's feet and start season 3 with an anticlimax, revealing that they were doing some kind of long-con parody of satire shows that start to take themselves seriously, but I think the Mr. Poopybutthole stinger was their concession to self-deprecation. That doesn't mean the whole show has to change to be serious and pedantically consistent from now on, just that there's a little more room for discussing the plot.

Edit: I wonder if the show would consider replacing Rick with another Rick? Would Morty accept another Rick, following Rick's own perspective on the interchangeability of multidimensional duplicates? It might be funny if the "resolution" to Rick being in prison is he just stays there.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 12, 2015

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I like the theory of the Council of Ricks coming together to bust Rick C-137 out, because they don't like him but they dislike the Federation an awful lot more. Aside from a short chase sequence, we haven't really seen what a bunch of Ricks can accomplish when they work together.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Philip Rivers posted:

Aside from a short chase sequence, we haven't really seen what a bunch of Ricks can accomplish when they work together.

Well they were able to make the Council of Ricks

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The federation is an interdimensional organization, as shown in the pilot, right? Why is the idea that hopping to another could help even a thing?

Edit: yeah it could buy some time, but that's just prolonging the inevitable

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Philip Rivers posted:

I like the theory of the Council of Ricks coming together to bust Rick C-137 out, because they don't like him but they dislike the Federation an awful lot more. Aside from a short chase sequence, we haven't really seen what a bunch of Ricks can accomplish when they work together.

Based on the opening credits, they can accomplish not really caring when one of the Ricks accidentally disintegrates himself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Well they were able to make the Council of Ricks

The Citadel in particular is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Although if anything we've seen that Multiple Ricks do not necessarily add up to being more than the sum of their parts, when they were searching for C-137 they all collectively got distracted loving with Jerry.

Pharmaskittle posted:

The federation is an interdimensional organization, as shown in the pilot, right? Why is the idea that hopping to another could help even a thing?

Edit: yeah it could buy some time, but that's just prolonging the inevitable

They've established that as long as Rick is near Morty, the government can't find him. The only reason we were talking about going to other universes would be to find an earth-like replacement, rather than sitting out eternity on the lonely planet. The only way they found Rick was because he turned himself in. I guess they could monitor all earths on all universes but it starts to get tricky, especially if they're taking the place of another Rick and Morty (et al) who just died or something. Or better yet like I said before, go to a universe where they already captured a Rick. Although I guess then its a dick move to not help that Rick out.

Is it really inter-dimensional though? I didn't think the government was, I thought they were just inter-galactic.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 13, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
And you could squanch it all

My empire of Earth

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't be gross yodzilla.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it really inter-dimensional though? I didn't think the government was, I thought they were just inter-galactic.

They control inter-dimensional customs so I assume so.

You seem to forget a few key things when getting deep into discussion, maybe take Rick's advice: "Don't think about it."

:cheeky:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a funny throw-away joke, but it doesn't really make sense.

thats the point. the joke is in his overreaction and is delivered again when he says its not included in the two choices. its not meant to make sense.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Verviticus posted:

thats the point. the joke is in his overreaction and is delivered again when he says its not included in the two choices. its not meant to make sense.

Everybody here seemed to disagree. It did seem like a non-sequitur (same with the screaming sun) but what I like about Rick & Morty is that things you think are a non-sequitur end up coming back later to mean something, unlike say lovely Family Guy where every joke is just completely throwaway.

:shrug:

• Locked thread