Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dan Slott seems to write Peter as constantly learning that being a manchild is a bad way to live your life and that you should be an adult who understands that you can't have everything. That's a very generous interpretation because I don't know if that's intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lurdiak posted:

You should be an adult who understands that you can't have everything.

*Is a multi-millionaire super-genius super-spy hero who is cooler and better than all the other super-spy heroes who work for him*

I don't think that's the theme.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

*Is a multi-millionaire super-genius super-spy hero who is cooler and better than all the other super-spy heroes who work for him*

I don't think that's the theme.

He keeps losing that stuff when he can't balance it with being Spider-man, and it drives a wedge between him and his friends sometimes. I'm trying really hard to be fair to Dan Slott here. And it's making me break out in hives.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

trashbuilder posted:

Actual real question and not meant as a Dan Slott knock (even if it is):

For a long time spidey was built on the theme of "with great power comes great responsibility" and the limits and sacrifices that come with that and how Peter grows learning and sacrificing. That honestly has not been a theme for a while, pretty much since slott started (maybe JMS) what would you think the theme of the book is now? Don't answer "Being garbage"

I'm not sure that Slott is consistent enough for there to be a single theme you can point at in his work, although there does seem to be a thread running through much of it of people abandoning old behaviors in order to move forward. Carlie had to arrest her dad, Otto had to let Peter take the wheel to save the day, and Peter started the "One More Day" continuity as an arrested-development man-child but has spent most of the intervening stories flailing around with snap decisions and toxic behaviors in an ongoing attempt to figure out how to be an adult.

Thinking about it, a good example is how he dealt with Anna-Maria and the Avengers after getting his body back. Instead of an increasingly shaky series of intricate deceptions or ignoring the problem until it blew up in his face, he just came clean all at once, as quickly as he could. Compared to his problems at Horizon Labs, it was a bit of a step forward for him, although it's still a jarring series of plot beats when compared to the more mature, experienced Peter of the JMS era.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

He keeps losing that stuff when he can't balance it with being Spider-man, and it drives a wedge between him and his friends sometimes. I'm trying really hard to be fair to Dan Slott here. And it's making me break out in hives.

I think that is basically it but he always seems to fall back into success for no real reason, without any change. Which undercuts it slightly.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that is basically it but he always seems to fall back into success for no real reason, without any change. Which undercuts it slightly.

Only to take it away again to make a "point," as if that's all it's there for. Which is getting a bit boring when we've seen this same formula happen over and over. Parker Industries is obviously doomed, so it becomes a somewhat boring status quo by that very nature.

I wish he'd go back to being a science teacher. That was my favorite status quo for him, and made the most sense for his character, in my view.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ I liked him being a teacher too. But being in a real world school means he couldn't just gently caress off and be Spider-Man every time he hears sirens. I actually really hoped he'd be at the Jean Gray School or Avengers Academy that'd give him that flexibility. But you know, different parts of the 616 aren't going to interact like that.

trashbuilder posted:

Actual real question and not meant as a Dan Slott knock (even if it is):

For a long time spidey was built on the theme of "with great power comes great responsibility" and the limits and sacrifices that come with that and how Peter grows learning and sacrificing. That honestly has not been a theme for a while, pretty much since slott started (maybe JMS) what would you think the theme of the book is now? Don't answer "Being garbage"

The theme of the books seems to be that Peter can plot device himself out of almost any problem. Usually through a brand new suit, or some techno gizmo thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He said, after a single issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

We're talking about Slott's entire run, brainiac.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Spider Man and the X-Men was sooooo goooood

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
ASM#1 wasn't too bad. I initially was against the "Spiderman INC" idea but after one issue it doesn't annoy me. The previews for the other books coming out were cool. I think I will skip Web Warriors unless people like it. I'll probably skip Spider Woman and Silk as well. Spider Gwen and Spider Man are going to be it for me I think. I still think the Spidermobile is beyond stupid but in context it sort of makes sense.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Pureauthor posted:

Spider Man and the X-Men was sooooo goooood

So agreed. Pete also needs a series where he teaches at Avengers Academy.

...If that's still a thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

As of Avengers #0 is does not appear so.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We can't have Pete teaching children stuff, I mean I'd just kill every big plot. Phoenix gonna wipe the solar system? Who took Spidey's How to be a Phoenix host class? Wow that many uh, Rock Paper Scissors tournament for the new Phoenix I guess.

Civil War 3? More like Civil Debate about the depth of responsibility to others inherent in the choice of a career in the super heroic field.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Rhyno posted:

As of Avengers #0 is does not appear so.
Dammit, Marvel. Why must you take away all the nice things? :smith:

SirDan3k posted:

We can't have Pete teaching children stuff, I mean I'd just kill every big plot. Phoenix gonna wipe the solar system? Who took Spidey's How to be a Phoenix host class? Wow that many uh, Rock Paper Scissors tournament for the new Phoenix I guess.

Civil War 3? More like Civil Debate about the depth of responsibility to others inherent in the choice of a career in the super heroic field.
Now I want to see an alternate universe where Peter becomes full-time superhero teacher and all the next generation are largely well-adjusted individuals. Kinda like MC2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Marvel panel revealed that Ganke, Bombshell, and Miles' dad are all part of the new Miles book in 616. So he's not going to be an Ultimate Orphan it seems. I am very happy that Bombshell made it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
After All-New Ultimates I forgot how much I liked Bombshell, glad she'll be back in Bendis' Spider-man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This still seems like a weird move overall, a huge part of what made all those characters interesting was the world they inhabit. But hey, I'll give it a shot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just got around to reading ASM and honestly I don't think it would have bothered me all that much if ASM prior to Secret Wars hadn't ended on the note it did. "Oh no, our company's hosed!" SMASH CUT TO "Man things sure are loving great now!" Like, I know, I know, the universe is timeskipping after Secret Wars, which is something I hate in general so that's on Marvel, not Slott. And I'm sure there'll probably be flashbacks to what happened in that gap to make Parker so successful, but I hate hate hate when a story drops me with an established character with everything wildly different with no explanation.

Also I don't know if Slott is trying to write Peter as being some sort of nice noble boss who gives second chances or if it's just clumsy writing, but finding out someone in your company has been actively sabotaging your company, undermining your decisions, and possibly working with supervillains to make attempts on your life is grounds for termination, not a stern talking-to.

Lurdiak posted:

This still seems like a weird move overall, a huge part of what made all those characters interesting was the world they inhabit. But hey, I'll give it a shot.

First 5 issues: "Hey Miles sit down and let your old man tell you about his new, retconned backstory. This is the all new all different way I became a SHIELD undercover agent in the 70s..."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Also I don't know if Slott is trying to write Peter as being some sort of nice noble boss who gives second chances or if it's just clumsy writing, but finding out someone in your company has been actively sabotaging your company, undermining your decisions, and possibly working with supervillains to make attempts on your life is grounds for termination, not a stern talking-to.

I have no idea if it's what Slott means to do or not, but I could see Peter being aware enough of his medium to reason that if he fires her, she'll bomb around other companies for a minute before landing in HYDRA or the Secret Empire, and will then show up six months later in a weird metal suit swearing vengeance on him for an imagined or disproportionate slight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

With MJ over at Stark and Peter and Tony operating in the same spheres now on a corporate level, I wonder if they are planning some serious beef between the two CEOs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Poor man's Tony Stark is going to be as good a businessman as Tony Stark. loving terrible, I mean. Except I see Peter just giving up on the whole thing before we get Parked Fujikawa or Parker Resiliant.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like the natural endpoint for this direction is Alchemax buying Parker Industries and getting one stop closer to being its 2099 megacorp self

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like the natural endpoint for this direction is Alchemax buying Parker Industries and getting one stop closer to being its 2099 megacorp self

That would actually be a really cool twist.

In that Spider-man ' s actions inspired and created the greatest hero of 2099. While at the same time, Peter Parker ' s actions created arguably one of it's greatest threats.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Slott has written Spidey books for several years. He didn't start last week.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I have no idea if it's what Slott means to do or not, but I could see Peter being aware enough of his medium to reason that if he fires her, she'll bomb around other companies for a minute before landing in HYDRA or the Secret Empire, and will then show up six months later in a weird metal suit swearing vengeance on him for an imagined or disproportionate slight.

That's kind of what I was thinking too, only if Peter were somehow becoming genre savvy, he'd realize that keeping his identity secret from his loved ones has only ever caused problems in his life rather than double down on the elaborate ruses by getting Prowler to body double for him as Spider-Man when they need to be in the same place at the same time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Letting Aunt May find out was the best thing JMS ever did. I really wish they hadn't retconned that away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think JMS did a lot of good things. Even the Spider-Totem stuff honestly wasn't that bad in the original story where rather than becoming a fully character-redefining thing it was a potential setup for other stories which explicitly didn't override the idea that Peter was gifted powers by radiation.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Lurdiak posted:

Letting Aunt May find out was the best thing JMS ever did. I really wish they hadn't retconned that away.

Counterpoint: Aunt May's death during the initial part of the Clone Saga was the best thing they've ever done with the character, even up 'til today.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Counterpoint: Aunt May's death during the initial part of the Clone Saga was the best thing they've ever done with the character, even up 'til today.

That's probably true, but then they went and brought her back as a one-dimensional "Oh dear" doddering old aunt, and JMS turned her into a real loving character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I think JMS did a lot of good things. Even the Spider-Totem stuff honestly wasn't that bad in the original story where rather than becoming a fully character-redefining thing it was a potential setup for other stories which explicitly didn't override the idea that Peter was gifted powers by radiation.

Agreed, the best part of the initial arc was that Peter never really bought into it. He was just like "Maybe this is true but it doesn't change a drat thing!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really, really like JMS Spidey - spider-totems and all - up until John Romita, Jr. leaves the book. That first half of his run is maybe my third or fourth favourite stretch by a writer on a Spider-Man book (the first two been Lee/Ditko/Romita and Roger Stern).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm a big fan of JMS Spidey run. I think his first Morlun story is right up there with Nothing Stops the Juggernaut and the Death of Jean DeWolff. I think he stradled the line initially with the totem stuff well, before buying all into his crazy rear end poo poo later. I think his stuff with JRjr holds up over time. Unfortunately I went back and read through his Thor a few years ago and it does NOT hold up at all. It introduced some elements that were welcome changes, such as Asgard on Earth. But yeah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm a big fan of JMS Spidey run. I think his first Morlun story is right up there with Nothing Stops the Juggernaut and the Death of Jean DeWolff. I think he stradled the line initially with the totem stuff well, before buying all into his crazy rear end poo poo later. I think his stuff with JRjr holds up over time. Unfortunately I went back and read through his Thor a few years ago and it does NOT hold up at all. It introduced some elements that were welcome changes, such as Asgard on Earth. But yeah

Dan Jurgens had Asgard floating above NYC years before JMS had it in Oklahoma.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh god that got retconned? Like the best part of Clone Saga was Aunt May revealing she'd known for years he was Spider-Man, then that gets ret conned but we eventually get a non dead Aunt May who knows what's up and that's great too.

loving Mephisto,

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe Ultimate Aunt May will come over.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had given up entirely on Spider-Man comics due to the post-Clone Saga doldrums, and only started reading Marvel again because I happened across a TPB of the first few issues of JMS's run. I really enjoy the self-aware, experienced Peter Parker he wrote.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Oh god that got retconned? Like the best part of Clone Saga was Aunt May revealing she'd known for years he was Spider-Man, then that gets ret conned but we eventually get a non dead Aunt May who knows what's up and that's great too.

loving Mephisto,

And now the only book where Aunt May is being used after the OMD retcon is in Howard The Duck.

No offense to Howard or the creative team on that book (I think they've used her excellently), but if that's the only book she's showing up in, what's the point of bringing her back to life in the first place? It's not like Mary Jane, who has a career as an actress/model/celebrity who could conceivably show up in other books as a supporting character (especially when you consider how many heroines are or were in the fashion business in one way or another - Wasp, Hellcat, Carol Danvers - hell she could rub shoulders with a bunch of well-known heroes even without the Spider-Man connection!). Hell, her showing up in Iron Man is proof of that.

I mean seriously, the only thing she brings to the table in the current Spider-Man books is that she married a rich guy and she's gone and hosed off to Boston so we don't even see her any more.

But let's be honest, that got reverted because Joe Quesada wanted Spider-Man to revert to how he was when Quesada was a kid. Didn't they at one point admit they made Peter an immature fuckup on purpose in BND?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why are you acting like "aunt may coming back to life -> being in howard the duck" is a direct line of events instead of two things that happened twenty years apart

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

why are you acting like "aunt may coming back to life -> being in howard the duck" is a direct line of events instead of two things that happened twenty years apart

I'm acting like the fact she came back to life in OMD because she was apparently such a major part of the Spider-Man mythos, which I suppose makes sense, only they undid the character development of her JMS did and then clearly had no loving idea what to do with her other than marrying her off to a billionaire and shipping her off to Boston, only showing up to give Peter handouts.

It's not a direct line of events, but the fact she's only showing up in Howard rather than, say, the Spider-Man books is a clear indication that apparently nobody at Marvel except Chip Zdarsky apparently have any reason for her to exist in the modern Marvel universe.

• Locked thread