Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

randombattle posted:

Hmm maybe I'll focus on the good classes and not worry about smuggler and poo poo.

:smug:ler is too good for people like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Apparently I got incredibly lucky and got to finish the HK stuff in about 2 hours. Wohoo!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am very interested in that. Which set is this?

Just go look at the vendor jesus christ.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fuzz posted:

Well there are a lot of vendors, plus he may not be able to log in and wants to look at Tor Fashion.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Stupid question regarding the "cartel" vendors, none of them are going away anytime soon right? Just got my rep with Contraband Resale upto almost-champion in one sitting and It'll be nice to have a source of a few more outfits for future alts.

Dont want to discover later that they are gone or anything. :ohdear:

Also my gambling paid off with two certificates. Any recommendations for my sniper? :v:

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Medullah posted:

Well there are a lot of vendors, plus he may not be able to log in and wants to look at Tor Fashion.

Rouncer posted:

Eyepatch doesn't require a certificate. Just play the slot machine till you are at least a friend (I'd go for legend cause it's cheap-ish and easy). Then go pick up the eyepatch.

Friend gets you access to the regulator set (which also doesn't require certificates) and has one of the more interesting belt models.

http://tor-fashion.com/jaymie-jedi-covenant-nsfw/

(Also looks great in less slutty outfits - my Jugg uses it in his slut outfit while my PT uses it with a full armored look)

Edit

http://dulfy.net/2013/03/12/swtor-contraband-resale-corporation-reputation-guide/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Stupid question regarding the "cartel" vendors, none of them are going away anytime soon right? Just got my rep with Contraband Resale upto almost-champion in one sitting and It'll be nice to have a source of a few more outfits for future alts.

Dont want to discover later that they are gone or anything. :ohdear:

Also my gambling paid off with two certificates. Any recommendations for my sniper? :v:

They're not going away right now, but there's no guarantee they'll stay. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rouncer posted:

Slutty picture

You've brought that up like 3 times, I'm pretty sure it's your home page at this point.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Medullah posted:

You've brought that up like 3 times, I'm pretty sure it's your home page at this point.

Yeah pal, If you're going to say things like;

Rouncer posted:

(my Jugg uses it in his slut outfit while my PT uses it with a full armored look)

At least deliver on both. :mad:

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Medullah posted:

Best example of a fine utilization of a piece of equipment from that reputation. Belt is awesome, cheap, and works with so many outfits.

The part I bolded was the reason for the re-quote as Dulfy was nice enough to have pictures of every item available from that reputation (except the embargoed items which are given a link if you want to see all of them).

Homepage is wife and kid.

Edit - if I was home I would have screen-shotted the other two. Think I posted slutty jugg in the other thread, I'll search for it when work allows.

Edit2 - Mine is the one wearing sunglasses. I can take more screenshots later, if you'd like...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699195&pagenumber=130&perpage=40#post448905765

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Rouncer posted:

Edit2 - Mine is the one wearing sunglasses. I can take more screenshots later, if you'd like...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699195&pagenumber=130&perpage=40#post448905765

Its so trippy, and pink. :magical:

Realtalk, I'd be happy to see the BH one, always on the look out for that. Got a Juggernaught that i want to outfit to look like a tech-lover (none of that cyborg stuff tho) and a BH i want to turn into a walking arsenal :hellyeah:.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Syrophenikan posted:

I thought I read it here or somewhere else, but when 4.0 hits, the 12x goes away and it just becomes 6x for class quests?

Also, I'm having a ton of fun picking this game up again after I stopped playing waaaaay back when Explosive Conflict was released. Such a fun game and good to play with goons.

Playing light side republic is fun to see the story, but I forgot how much I tend to hate goodie-two-shoes, especially when the Republic side is swarming with them. Although, it's the same when you play dark side Imperial...

What if you're like me and a total goodie-two-shoes on Imperial side? :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Aw, you were being so nice before too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

What if you're like me and a total goodie-two-shoes on Imperial side? :v:

And me. Empire side is well-written for either approach, honestly. Going puppy kicking is a lot of fun if you're into that, but every Imperial storyline is written with the possibility of playing against type in mind and it's usually satisfying, particularly if you enjoy confusing and surprising NPCs at every turn.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I was starting to collect Datacrons until I realized this was a trap that wanted me to kill myself and I stopped on Rep Taris.

I didn't even get to the balloon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Out of curiosity are there any ranged Jedi/Sith specs? After going from a Vanguard to an Operative I've done two consecutive 'ranged' classes that have to be in melee all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, Inquisitor/Consular have ranged specs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, Inquisitor/Consular have ranged specs.

Specifically, the Sorcerer/Sage is always ranged. Assassin/Shadow is melee. Both Warrior/Knight versions are melee.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Dely Apple posted:

I was starting to collect Datacrons until I realized this was a trap that wanted me to kill myself and I stopped on Rep Taris.

I didn't even get to the balloon.

The trick to doing datacrons is be watching TV while you're chasing them down.

Guy Innagorillasuit
Jul 24, 2009

Cythereal posted:

And me. Empire side is well-written for either approach, honestly. Going puppy kicking is a lot of fun if you're into that, but every Imperial storyline is written with the possibility of playing against type in mind and it's usually satisfying, particularly if you enjoy confusing and surprising NPCs at every turn.

Republic side I usually play neutral-ish or a little dark, but it does seem that playing against type was more of a consideration on the Imperial side. The Jedi storylines are pretty funny when you start to get visible corruption for dark side points though. "Why are you trusting me with this mission? My eyes are glowing red! Does the force make you stupid?"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cythereal posted:

Specifically, the Sorcerer/Sage is always ranged. Assassin/Shadow is melee. Both Warrior/Knight versions are melee.

The Focus/Fury spec for Knights and Warriors expands out to a 10m range. That's as far away as they get.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Keshik posted:

The trick to doing datacrons is be watching TV while you're chasing them down.

I was going to be doing an impromptu drinking game where I guzzle for every time you find an original trilogy name poorly renamed and then I died

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Agent is the best Imperial storyline because it's written with the pragmatic get-poo poo-done mindset as a major option. With the Warrior and Consular I've found if you don't go to the cartoonish evil side it's easy to be shoehorned into your character saying poo poo like "I'm secretly light side but need to fool the Sith to bring them down from within"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Warrior, at least, usually gets neutral options to play a ruthless but honorable warrior. You give no fucks about good or evil, you're just there to test yourself as hard as you can against worthy foes no matter what form they take.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Agent is the best Imperial storyline because it's written with the pragmatic get-poo poo-done mindset as a major option. With the Warrior and Consular I've found if you don't go to the cartoonish evil side it's easy to be shoehorned into your character saying poo poo like "I'm secretly light side but need to fool the Sith to bring them down from within"

I didn't get this at all from the Sith Warrior side. Case in point, toward the end of Chapter 1, the Light Side option when you are confronted with the two Jedi while searching for Jaesa. You convince one to walk away and then beat down the other and tell him the dark side is the better choice afterwards.

I kind of wish the Sith choices were called Lawful and Chaotic, not necessarily Light or Dark.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Warrior was exactly what I was thinking about, I didn't spare Jaesa's master because it was the noble thing to do, but because I expected him to be tortured for valuable intelligence and it would help psychologically manipulate Jaesa, both of which had been major plot points in the chapter. But I couldn't find an option that didn't fill the screen with saintly light and have my character say "I am a good person"

Edit: I still maintain the Warrior has the most hilarious moral choice where you convince a Jedi to kill someone with the rationale that "I need to stay light side but killing will taint me (even though I killed 5000 guys to get here)," and of course the game gives you light side points for it, like some reverse Nuremberg defense

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 13, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Warrior was exactly what I was thinking about, I didn't spare Jaesa's master because it was the noble thing to do, but because I expected him to be tortured for valuable intelligence and it would help psychologically manipulate Jaesa, both of which had been major plot points in the chapter. But I couldn't find an option that didn't fill the screen with saintly light and have my character say "I am a good person"

You can tell Baras afterwards that you did it to gently caress with the Jedi, sending the dude back after what happened as proof of the Order's failure and weakness. Baras is entertained and approves.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nah, LS Warrior pretty much owns the fact that he/she is Sith and the Republic is terrible, they just do it in such a way as to make the Jedi wonder how they can be so hypocritical. I mean, it makes total sense, since the Jedi actively eradicated the Sith for disagreeing with their narrow and dogmatic interpretation of how the Force should be used... it's a theme the movies don't touch on at all (maybe they would touch on it if they ever made movies of Episodes 1-3, seems like something that could be brought up in Episode 3, if there was a movie made of it) but it's sort of at the core of Star Wars and is just given a pass... the Jedi just balck and white say that the Sith method of doing things is wrong and dangerous, and should be avoided and forgotten and you should stick your head in the sand and go, "lalalalala I can't hear you talking about emotions." It's one of the biggest flaws to Star Wars' lore if you take it at face value, but the SW storyline (and the SI in some places) specifically punch holes in it by demonstrating that you CAN be in touch with your emotions and still be a rational and well-balanced individual, without just eschewing all semblance of self and giving up personal ties.

It would be worse if the LS storylines basically had you being all objective and logical and not being emotional at all, like the Jedi, but thankfully they aren't. Dark Side JK thus far is kind of the flipside of that... you're not a horrible baby-eating monster, but you take that objectiveness and lack of attachment too far in the sense that you literally just stop giving a poo poo about people and pursue a very "ends justifies the means" mindset, although there are a lot of places where it falls flat and you really do just turn into an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, mainly when it comes to revenge or pretty much any conversation you have with a Sith.

It's pretty great how they didn't fall into the usual Bioware black and white traps, though, and actually deconstructed a lot of the Jedi/Sith mythos while still keeping you ascribing to that particular viewpoint on either side. It's one of the reasons that I kinda feel like the SW storyline is on par with the Agent storyline, but for different reasons... Agent is amazing for all the variation and choice, and the scope of what you're doing and how it's told. SW is great simply because the actual subject matter and the way the plot builds over the course of the three acts is just amazing, and it really turns a lot of the SW cliches on their ear.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dely Apple posted:

I was going to be doing an impromptu drinking game where I guzzle for every time you find an original trilogy name poorly renamed and then I died

Well you can hardly blame the players for that when Bioware do the exact same thing with their characters. Ever notice how Deron Cadoruso ("We fight for Revan!" Deron, so intense!) is an anagram of Canderous Ordo? :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Well you can hardly blame the players for that when Bioware do the exact same thing with their characters. Ever notice how Deron Cadoruso ("We fight for Revan!" Deron, so intense!) is an anagram of Canderous Ordo? :v:

....I hate you now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You aren't entirely dedicated to bringing the Sith down from within, but you are pretty much cast as a good person, rather than just pragmatic or what have you. It does work best if you view your motivation as more change the Empire and make it less lovely, I certainly don't see the LS war as a double agent or someone who wants to be a Jedi. I guess I like that aspect of a person born in a darker place and working to make it better for themselves and other people, rather than just trying to defect to some place better. Think of it as being a noble who actually buys into the idea of the nobility, the whole "The highest distinction is service to others."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: I still maintain the Warrior has the most hilarious moral choice where you convince a Jedi to kill someone with the rationale that "I need to stay light side but killing will taint me (even though I killed 5000 guys to get here)," and of course the game gives you light side points for it, like some reverse Nuremberg defense

I actually recorded the Nomen Karr scene and I am just reading a bunch of cynicism from the Sith Warrior from all of my character's choices. He wants peace but he's going to get it via power, not whatever the Jedi have chosen. Jaesa even points that out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man if you guys have the mats for making and selling MK-9 or MK-10 components or kits, the price just keeps going up on them. 5-7k per MK-10 component. That's 4 green mats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

but the SW storyline (and the SI in some places) specifically punch holes in it by demonstrating that you CAN be in touch with your emotions and still be a rational and well-balanced individual, without just eschewing all semblance of self and giving up personal ties.

I think the Inquisitor dwells on this more. If you're light-side, you can talk at length to the guy on Alderaan about how the Jedi Code forbids anger and hatred, true, but also joy and love. They can be dangerous, true, but that's what the sense of judgment and wisdom everyone else in the galaxy uses is for. The LS Inquisitor gets actively called out on her alignment by other Sith repeatedly through the story, too, but can always point out that the Sith Code is a doctrine of freedom, not evil or selfishness. It's a philosophical point Star Wars rarely considers, but towards the end of the Inquisitor story the main antagonist recites part of the Sith Code: "Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory."

He leaves it there, but one option is for the Inquisitor to remind him of the rest: "Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

The Warrior always acts like they have to hide their light-side nature, but the Inquisitor can be open about it and discuss it philosophically with other Sith. And most other Sith even accept the LS Inquisitor's argument and demonstration that restraint is not always weakness.

Or as Ashara puts it: "There is passion, but there is peace. There is strength, but there is knowledge. There is power, but there is serenity. There is victory, but there is harmony. There is freedom, but there is the Force."

Eimi posted:

You aren't entirely dedicated to bringing the Sith down from within, but you are pretty much cast as a good person, rather than just pragmatic or what have you. It does work best if you view your motivation as more change the Empire and make it less lovely, I certainly don't see the LS war as a double agent or someone who wants to be a Jedi. I guess I like that aspect of a person born in a darker place and working to make it better for themselves and other people, rather than just trying to defect to some place better. Think of it as being a noble who actually buys into the idea of the nobility, the whole "The highest distinction is service to others."

Noblesse oblige, in other words. The Warrior is stated to be an aristocrat, a scion of a long and glorious Sith bloodline. They really do buy into it if LS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Eimi posted:

This is why Darth Marr is awesome, because he's LS as all gently caress. Marr basically is the LS Sith Warror, something he even sort of points out if you're an LS SW and do the SoR stuff... he specifically says that you're not that much different from him, and he knew the two of you would see eye to eye when he calls you the Empire's Wrath.

Cythereal posted:

I think the Inquisitor dwells on this more. If you're light-side, you can talk at length to the guy on Alderaan about how the Jedi Code forbids anger and hatred, true, but also joy and love. They can be dangerous, true, but that's what the sense of judgment and wisdom everyone else in the galaxy uses is for. The LS Inquisitor gets actively called out on her alignment by other Sith repeatedly through the story, too, but can always point out that the Sith Code is a doctrine of freedom, not evil or selfishness. It's a philosophical point Star Wars rarely considers, but towards the end of the Inquisitor story the main antagonist recites part of the Sith Code: "Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory."

He leaves it there, but one option is for the Inquisitor to remind him of the rest: "Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

The Warrior always acts like they have to hide their light-side nature, but the Inquisitor can be open about it and discuss it philosophically with other Sith. And most other Sith even accept the LS Inquisitor's argument and demonstration that restraint is not always weakness.

Or as Ashara puts it: "There is passion, but there is peace. There is strength, but there is knowledge. There is power, but there is serenity. There is victory, but there is harmony. There is freedom, but there is the Force."

Yeah, the SW overall has the vibe, but in several places (particularly LS SI conversations with Ashara) the SI straight up breaks the Star Wars paradigm over its knee, and it's one of the reasons I don't get why people are so sore on the SI storyline, but I guess you'd miss all that if you play DS because hoooooly poo poo DS SI is a cartoonish psychopath. :allears:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 13, 2015

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

....I hate you now.

What did I do? Worse than Lord Kurse!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I did enjoy the Sith Warrior storyline overall and you get to do some cool things in it; I definitely wasn't checked out of it like I kind of am with the Inquisitor. I just hope that this new story-focused expansion means they're bringing the A-level writing to it, if they're doubling down on it all.

How long does it take to do an individual companion's quest line (to fill in that checkbox on the legacy screen)? I read some tip in the other thread not to talk to any of the companions while leveling to min-max their affection later, which probably also means I missed some big chunks of character development story-wise. I need to do those before the expansion drops...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Darth Marr threw some mad shade at my DS Inquisitor.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Darth Marr threw some mad shade at my DS Inquisitor.

Yeah, he was a total rear end in a top hat to my DS SI, and it was hilarious. I really want to plow through SI again with an LS one, partly because I want a Sorc and partly because I just wanna see that storyline again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, I was going to level a LS Assassin because I forgot how to play my Shadow.

• Locked thread