Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

10 days?! We'll lose the ship!
Dionysus bless this Mess

Dinonysus bless this mess

P.S. I already voted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Take the shot and for gods sake won't someone thinks of the Toxiplasmosis! Quarantine that poo poo!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Asterios posted:

take the shot, set up the quarantine

We're the last surviving members of our species, which means every STD now counts double somehow.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Exactly split 50/50 on quarantining or not. Next vote carries it. I'd just scan in the pages and worry about it later but the quarantine might influence how hard we're about to get curbstomped by those Cattes.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
quarantine

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fellbat posted:

quarantine

Good enough. Let's see how things shake out. Update shortly.

TheHomerTax posted:

Blow the Cattes up and Quarantine the Lido deck. If I remember correctly, Caimans getting Toxoplasmosis pretty much guarantees that we'll lose. Something about literally rotting Caimans' brains.

Yeah the hit right when you're about to get into a fight is really bad but if you make it to the end and you end up fighting the Cattes, it's an automatic game over. Toxoplasmosis makes the Caimans friendly to the Cattes, which isn't a good thing to be.

DmitriX posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, the guy was high and my memory is hazy.
I think it involved stuffing your weapons officer full of spice to improve the chances of shot actually hitting. Of course it also had some special consequences for failing but i don't recall what those were. It might have featured some sort of a codeword tho?

Oh yeah, you need to learn about the Catnip from the humans first. It's not a huge boost and we still have the Coffee if we need it, so let's not worry about it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Update

Completing the last section we were on (421):

Thread narrowly went for a quarantine, which is a good thing because it means we won't lose later on, but a bad thing right now because it upsets the crew and makes them even worse than usual. All crew pass the Crapulence test and then take -1 to their expertise.

There was a consensus on taking a shot at those Cattes. Let's see what happens (turning to 46)

Personally I thought this would get us killed, but it seems like you people know how to play this game better than I do. Without shields or equipment it seems like a doomed fight.
Using the Coffee Machine we get 12 for Sensors and 11 for Weapons. We then managed to hit the Cattes. Turning to 185

I roll for their shields and get only 10 - we've landed a single hit on their hull. I was hoping for more - at this point we have no shields, no items and have a full-powered alien starship coming right at us. But it allows us to roll once for Critical Hits:

I rolled 11 - an exploding console. Randomly selecting between Sensors, Shields and Weapons we get weapons and wound the officer!
Short of blowing up the ship or knocking out the shields this is one of the best results we could hope for - their weapons systems will now be staffed by a redshirt with -2 expertise and only 1 FIST. We will probably get hit hard if we stick around, but we could possibly survive...

So, with no shields, no special weapons and an almost suicidally depressed crew, we're about to come face to face with a bunch of seriously pissed off Cattes who've just had their weapons overseer sniped at long range. Obvious options are to fight or panic jump, but does something else come to mind?

Here's the current Starship manifest:

E:

Gilganixon posted:

I made a mistake last night.

We did one hull damage and took out their weapons officer. But I forgot about this guy:

This brute does one extra hull damage whenever any damage is done, and that means another critical hit. I rolled 10 (another bridge console explosion).

This time we wouded the sensor overseer. He's out of the fight and a redshirt takes over, which means their sensors are only at 7 and 1 FIST. We might get out of this in one piece yet...

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 12, 2015

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Those drat cattes had the audacity to poo poo in the libidos pits. I think this is an acceptable hill to die on, and if we somehow don't die we can feast on Cattes!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Can we still use the jump drive to throw Galactus Cygnus X-1 at them?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Technically ship items are broken until the shields are repaired but the attack uses the jump drives. I think we should be able to do it if the thread wants. We will need to win the sensor round or we'll lose it in the first blast though.

E: Just so you know I haven't been fudging these rolls, I was kind of looking forward to posting another bad ending page.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 12, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

against all odds

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

lets fight

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Let's kill some cats!!!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
After we deal with the cats, only humans are left, and I think the cats damaged their ship. Throw the giant meat man at them. Pull out all the stops, all or nothing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Deliver a rousing speech about how these Cattes are responsible for every wrong thing that has happened up til now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

the_steve posted:

Deliver a rousing speech about how these Cattes are responsible for every wrong thing that has happened up til now.

This. Then either soak up their first shot with our galactic meat man or throw our galactic meat man at the filthy flea bags.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Have SuGaBA interface with Cygnus's neurons to activate his galactic powers. Shoot beams from the palms of your hands that cover an area of space too broad to miss.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Swing our giant space cock at the cattes

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

And send our space-body

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HardDisk posted:

And send our space-body

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Orient the center of mass of Cygnus X-1 to the Catte ship and accelerate to ramming speed. Let's beat the drat Kzin Cattes to death with our spacegod corpse!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Rousing speech. Who do these carnivorous, belligerent, slave-owning bastards think they are, attacking us first? Do they think they're Caimen? Do they think they're us? Well, they're not us. Because they're over there, and we're over here, and they wrecked our Lido deck! KILL THEM!

Then we die gloriously in battle, because I don't think that lucky hit on their hull will make up for all the hits on our hull that are coming. Throw the meat at them if it doesn't get blasted off.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I made a mistake last night.

We did one hull damage and took out their weapons officer. But I forgot about this guy, our own weapons officer:

This brute does one extra hull damage whenever any damage is done, and that means another critical hit. I rolled 10.

This time we wounded the sensor overseer. He's out of the fight and a redshirt takes over, which means their sensors are only at 7 and 1 FIST. We might get out of this in one piece yet...

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 12, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
prepare for ramming speed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's blast those space cats out of the sky. And if there is any way at all we can use our new found body to some how melee in a spaceship battle let's do it!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Right, scanning in the fighty pages. I'll check back in a little while to see if anything's changed, and if not I'll post the results of our first proper battle (once I find out what the results are).

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anyone else feel bad about killing space cats? It must be the TOXIPLASMOSIS that has already riddled my brain. That being said I hope our meat corpse sends them all to the cardboard box in the sky.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

RocktheCaulk posted:

Does anyone else feel bad about killing space cats? It must be the TOXIPLASMOSIS that has already riddled my brain. That being said I hope our meat corpse sends them all to the cardboard box in the sky.

They're an aggressive, warlike alien empire and I'm 100% certain they'd do the same to us given half a chance.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dr Cheeto posted:

They're an aggressive, warlike alien empire and I'm 100% certain they'd do the same to us given half a chance.

Considering they already tried it I'd say those are pretty good odds.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

RocktheCaulk posted:

They're the biggest assholes out of all the playable races. Even the Caimen aren't as bad (they could be, but it'd take too much effort). The galaxy will be better off without them.

It's a bit late to be a goody-two-shoes, anyway. We already wiped out the tolerant Utopian robots who just want everyone to feel good and dance together, and we did it in the most soul-crushing way possible.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Applewhite posted:

Considering they already tried it I'd say those are pretty good odds.

I don't know, thinking about it now trying to get the jump on a starship piloted by an unknown group of aliens is probably more morally defensible than sniping the everliving gently caress out of an alien starship in the process of fleeing.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's a bit late to be a goody-two-shoes, anyway. We already wiped out the tolerant Utopian robots who just want everyone to feel good and dance together, and we did it in the most soul-crushing way possible.

Even in a spaceship full of Caiman, SuGaBA is the one with the fewest scruples.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

They're the biggest assholes out of all the playable races. Even the Caimen aren't as bad (they could be, but it'd take too much effort). The galaxy will be better off without them.

TOXIPLASMOSIS is a hell of a drug. Maybe after we wipe out the Cattes we can pick out a few Catte-Sicles floating through space and figure out how to use it as a bio-weapon against the humans.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
The cats will make a good livestock and slave labor. Let us prepare the blood feasting!

Now that their sensors are damaged we should deploy our devious decoy weapon The Red Dot to distract them into thinking its the actual attack while we cripple their ship.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Update

The completed page:

We're going to fight (170)

The pre-battle harangue over, we begin combat. With our shields down we can't afford to get hit, at all. Luckily we got a good sensor roll and wounded the Catte's sensor officer - if that hadn't happened we be toast.
We hit the Cattes hard, bringing their shields down and inflicting 2 points of hull damage. I also use Cygnus:

Fry flee, giant headless corpse.
Turning to 445:

He's basically an unavoidable bomb. He causes 3 hull damage for a total of 5.
The Catte ship at this point is in bad condition - shields down and only 2 hull left. It still presents a lethal threat to us at this point though. I roll for critical hits - three of them do nothing but two of them are good. One shot rips away the sensor array, making it much harder for them to hit us. The other shot smashes the bridge, lowering their expertise further.

They now need 4+ to hit, and they miss. In our next turn we hit them, and with no shields they are destroyed. We used a total of 12 energy.

Turning to 399:

Crapulence ticks up : Huhuhuhwhatever's crapulence is now 4, bringing the total to a reasonably acceptable 9.

What next? We have one day left in this system (Day 20 needs to be used for jumping or we'll get stomped, for real this time). Investigating the dust cloud or the Catte ship will take a day each so it's probably one or the other. If you can think of a better use for the day, we could also do that.

I was going to tell you about ship repairs but screw it, let's leave that until the next update.

Starship manifest:

------

Wouldn't worry about it, all the races are pretty horrible. The Disco Alliance aren't as nice as they appear to be from the aliens' points of view (they're good diplomats).

-----

About that fight - it was a very close thing. I ran it a number of times afterwards and we lost most of the time. Without the lucky shot hitting the sensor officer we really would have been screwed, and our chances of survival were never much above 50/50 at any point in that battle even with that bit of help.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 13, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Investigate what's left of the cattes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Investigate the Catte debris. It seems like they had time for some looting beforehand, and Mois T'owlette might give us the ability to use some catte-specific items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

HardDisk posted:

Investigate what's left of the cattes.

• Locked thread