Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

You've obviously never been exposed to the world of aviation regulation. This is not a technical challenge, it's a political and regulatory one: The FAA is one of the world's most glacial bureaucracies.

This is the agency that suspended a pilot's license for busting a no fly zone that wasn't published on the FAA's own NOTAM data feed.

Obviously the drones will just have to call up a FSS before launch and constantly during flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Midjack posted:

lol if you think it isn't trivially easy to spoof GPS time and location.
Isn't that only true for obsolete receivers that use the legacy signal? I thought the current civilian signal is much more robust and secure.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

warcake posted:

I just flicked through some vids related to that crosswind one and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9OAng32F0

Do runways not have to be flat? Because that poo poo is not flat.

The telescopic lens compresses distance, so it really exaggerates the topography there. It's actually pretty flat runway.

Sewer Adventure fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 12, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

wolrah posted:

That said the easiest way to make sure this happens is to mandate ADS-B or something comparable in all GA, so IMO the solution is to tell the "no electronics" crowd to gently caress off.

It's not like small, battery operated, near-1GHz, GPS equipped radio devices are expensive technology these days. There are probably regulatory issues to resolve about what would effectively be a portable transponder, but I see no technical reason why one couldn't have a box that was basically the size of a smartphone with a pair of antenna ports for GPS and transmit, otherwise packed with batteries, which would allow even the lightest of ultralights to add ADS-B with no effort other than attaching the box and antennas somewhere appropriate.

Lots of regulatory issues, just off the top of my head:

Traditionally the FAA has wanted redundancy anytime you're talking about safety of flight and ADS-B becomes about safety of flight even in visual flight conditions if you're replacing "see and avoid" with it. Electronic panel instruments need to have a battery backup sufficient to get back on the ground for example. I'm not sure if they'd be ok with dual batteries or not since batteries are no where near as reliable as an alternator. I know gliders do work with portable transponders today but I think that's mostly for when they may make it up past 18k feet and is a part of a class A airspace waiver.

FAA wants ADS-B to be permanently mounted in aircraft, partially because unlike a transponder ADS-B sends a device unique identifier linked to specific aircraft registrations and types that get passed along to ATC. For Part 21 certificated aircraft that means you're looking at supplemental type certificates and work by A&P's at avionics shops. And there's already a fear that there aren't enough avionics shops to equip the aircraft that need ADS-B to keep flying in their existing airspace by the 2020 ADS-B adoption deadline, much less requiring ADS-B for all aircraft, even those well away from Mode C veils.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Alereon posted:

Isn't that only true for obsolete receivers that use the legacy signal? I thought the current civilian signal is much more robust and secure.

Robust yes. Civilian side has never been secure. I suspect this is why M code design departs from the P code implementation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alereon posted:

You can pop current receivers just fine. Before this ends up like the NFC poo poo in the phone thread a while back, my specifics are NDAd but I note that some college kids took a flying UAV down a few years ago and anything that can be done remotely by a hostile party is much easier done by a friendly party with physical access.

https://www.ae.utexas.edu/news/features/todd-humphreys-research-team-demonstrates-first-successful-gps-spoofing-of-uav

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
So this popped up on an aviation subreddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGdxli71cg

I have no idea where it came from, but it's pretty much the most amazing aviation video ever created.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ctishman posted:

I have no idea where it came from, but it's pretty much the most amazing aviation video ever created.

.....its Regular Car Reviews. They are an AI staple.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

CommieGIR posted:

.....its Regular Car Reviews. They are an AI staple.

Ahh, got it. I've never actually seen one of their videos before!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Midjack posted:

We're not trying to stop malicious actors here, that's obviously a much harder problem than just preventing people who don't know better or aren't thinking from accidentally straying where they're not supposed to. Also no one's going to bother spoofing GPS for the purpose of flying their drone where they shouldn't be, they'll just buy or build one that lacks such safety features in the first place. Building a DIY electronics package with an Arduino or similar is a lot easier than messing with GPS.

MrYenko posted:

You've obviously never been exposed to the world of aviation regulation. This is not a technical challenge, it's a political and regulatory one: The FAA is one of the world's most glacial bureaucracies.
I tend to understate things when it's obvious, I guess it works better in real life when I can attach a bit of a sarcastic tone to it. That "probably" was along the same lines as "that Viper lining up in the other lane at the drag strip will probably beat my Fiesta ST" in that one outcome is almost certain but it's slightly possible through abnormal events that it doesn't go that way. Since my armchair lawyering hasn't involved much FAA policy I wasn't willing to say anything for sure even though I was pretty confident. The two points fordan brings up of course make sense and I'm sure there are many others like those.

What I'm saying is there is a solution which is technically viable today, avoids any legitimate complaints I can imagine from the old aircraft crowd, and if implemented well could significantly reduce the chances of drones causing problems for GA while also providing the possibility of significantly increased awareness of other aircraft for any GA users that choose to add a receiver instead of just a transmitter. Political problems are a lot easier than technical problems, especially when there's money in play.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 12, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ctishman posted:

Ahh, got it. I've never actually seen one of their videos before!

Watch them all. Now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

Watch them all. Now.

Not at work!

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
Wait, I thought it crashed and then the Iranians said look America we have your crashed drone and then they changed their story to that they hacked it and made it land. Then proceeded to have a press conference with a crappy plywood mock up. Or am I just confusing that with their "stealth fighter?"

I mean in regards to the earlier post about the US drone in Iran.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Pope posted:

Wait, I thought it crashed and then the Iranians said look America we have your crashed drone and then they changed their story to that they hacked it and made it land. Then proceeded to have a press conference with a crappy plywood mock up. Or am I just confusing that with their "stealth fighter?"

I mean in regards to the earlier post about the US drone in Iran.

I think it's both. It's pretty much their go-to story.

Also see: The Iranian Navy

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Midjack posted:

You can pop current receivers just fine. Before this ends up like the NFC poo poo in the phone thread a while back, my specifics are NDAd but I note that some college kids took a flying UAV down a few years ago and anything that can be done remotely by a hostile party is much easier done by a friendly party with physical access.

https://www.ae.utexas.edu/news/features/todd-humphreys-research-team-demonstrates-first-successful-gps-spoofing-of-uav
Here's the relevant paper, they did indeed do their testing against the legacy GPS code, not the modernized code. As the paper makes clear it's still possible to interfere with modern receivers, but it should be much more difficult to do so without detection. By no means am I saying a new GPS receiver is hack-proof, just that by comparison to existing navigation technologies that provide no resistance whatsoever to even accidental interference, it's a pretty good option. I mean poo poo, you could ruin people's day at a major airport just by jamming a few common radio frequencies, yet I can't recall hearing about people doing that on purpose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

Here's the relevant paper, they did indeed do their testing against the legacy GPS code, not the modernized code. As the paper makes clear it's still possible to interfere with modern receivers, but it should be much more difficult to do so without detection. By no means am I saying a new GPS receiver is hack-proof, just that by comparison to existing navigation technologies that provide no resistance whatsoever to even accidental interference, it's a pretty good option. I mean poo poo, you could ruin people's day at a major airport just by jamming a few common radio frequencies, yet I can't recall hearing about people doing that on purpose.

Its pretty easy to just overpower GPS signals anyways, why bother? If you can put a signal out on the same frequencies, its gonna knock GPS out.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty easy to just overpower GPS signals anyways, why bother? If you can put a signal out on the same frequencies, its gonna knock GPS out.
Oh sure, I mean it will always be trivial to just jam the signals and reduce accuracy or prevent use of GPS, but that's immediately detectable so a lot harder to do nefarious things with. The real concern is someone stealing every Amazon Prime package being delivered in a given area.

Also, do other GNSS systems have decent coverage over North America yet? That's another form of redundancy, I'm sure the other systems are similarly vulnerable but requiring a malicious actor to carry 4 sets of equipment makes things a bit tougher.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 13, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

Also, do other GNSS systems have decent coverage over North America yet? That's another form of redundancy, I'm sure the other systems are similarly vulnerable but requiring a malicious actor to carry 4 sets of equipment makes things a bit tougher.

Yes. My phone has GLONASS and Baidou

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CommieGIR posted:

To start a war between the UK and China in order to sell newspapers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alereon posted:

Oh sure, I mean it will always be trivial to just jam the signals and reduce accuracy or prevent use of GPS, but that's immediately detectable so a lot harder to do nefarious things with. The real concern is someone stealing every Amazon Prime package being delivered in a given area.

GLONASS does. BeiDou is still focused on China and the region around it but they are adding more satellites and intend to have global coverage in the next few years. Galileo is supposed to begin service next year.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mortabis posted:

gently caress yeah! Wei Ling will stop them though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

Going by the 2008 paper about jamming hardware referenced by the paper linked above, I'd guess that the four sets of equipment have been miniaturized substantially in the last seven years, even if you're on a budget.

quote:

The core Cornell GRID receiver software is the product of hundreds of developer-hours of work. Developing the spoofer module and extending the core GRID receiver soft- ware to include it required a team of three experienced developers working approximately 40 hours apiece, or ap- proximately three developer-weeks. The hardware components of the receiver-spoofer platform shown in Fig. 9 are all off-the-shelf components whose total cost is approxi- mately $1500.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Still going through my photos from last month. Have some warbirds
P-51 Mustang by Connor West, on Flickr

P-51 Mustang by Connor West, on Flickr

P-40 Warhawk by Connor West, on Flickr

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Would you like to see a airplane related "in lighter news" from the late 1940?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzbjEaX891s

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

ctishman posted:

"THIS IS THE FLYING FINGERBANG!" got a full-on gut laugh out of me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think I like RCR's car show videos (which are all like that one) better than the actual car reviews at this point.

"Prius" got a laugh out of me

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Enourmo posted:

I think I like RCR's car show videos (which are all like that one) better than the actual car reviews at this point.

"Prius" got a laugh out of me

Cars and coffee!

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmxPntzYQM

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

But that's clearly crossing the line into criminal negligence at the very least.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mortabis posted:

My favourite part of that film was the whole, 'You have 48 hours before the British Fleet arrives in which to crack the case Bond". Even at the time I remember thinking "Funny, I didn't realise our ships could sail at about 300 knots".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Triangulating the location of the SAM warhead that shot down MH17 using delay in the time it took the sound to hit the four recorders in the cockpit is a neat trick.

Apparently it was within a meter of the cockpit when the proximity fuze detonated.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
The Russian manufacturer of the missile staged a live fire test to show how different an actual strike would be. Except it turned out almost exactly the same if you consider the fact that the IL86 section was not pressurized and not travelling at M0.84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmraSOdTYk

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 13, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

mlmp08 posted:

Triangulating the location of the SAM warhead that shot down MH17 using delay in the time it took the sound to hit the four recorders in the cockpit is a neat trick.

Apparently it was within a meter of the cockpit when the proximity fuze detonated.

gently caress, can only imagine what could've been going through the pilot's minds when (if) they saw that flying telephone pole heading their way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tsuru posted:

The Russian manufacturer of the missile staged a live fire test to show how different an actual strike would be. Except it turned out almost exactly the same if you consider the fact that the IL86 section was not pressurized and not travelling at M0.84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmraSOdTYk

All these efforts to test a missile impact, and they ruin it by having their makeshift plane attacked by an Ukrainian Su-25 instead.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

mlmp08 posted:

So what you're saying is the pilots were the lucky ones in that they are pretty much guarunteed to have died instantly as opposed to the sheer terror of plummeting 30,000ft?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kilonum posted:

So what you're saying is the pilots were the lucky ones in that they are pretty much guarunteed to have died instantly as opposed to the sheer terror of plummeting 30,000ft?

Yeah. Between over pressure and the numerous pieces of warhead shrapnel found in their corpses.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

YF19pilot posted:

gently caress, can only imagine what could've been going through the pilot's minds when (if) they saw that flying telephone pole heading their way.

I would bet they didn't see it at all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

monkeytennis posted:

I would bet they didn't see it at all.

There was a story posted in GiP by a guy who used to fly bush cargo planes in southern Africa with his father. One day over Angola someone fired a SAM at them. They could see it coming and since their plane had only marginally better handling characteristics than the hangar it was stored in, they pretty much just had to watch it get nearer and nearer until it malfunctioned and went *pffft* before it could hit them.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
As far as I can remember it was an overcast day, so the launch would have been obscured. After a BUK missile accelerates to its max speed and altitude its motor shuts off so there is no exhaust plume as it approaches its target at M5.0 neither.

The official story that all aboard were knocked out in seconds is there to assuage the fears of people who lost friends and relatives in the accident and the general public, and at most only true for the people who were seated in the forward sections of the aircraft. A young, fit person has at least a full minute of useful consciousness at FL330 and the effects of the acceleration forces, the impact of ballistic parts of the missile and loose items flying around in the cabin would have been less at the rear of the cabin. The "900km/h airflow" mentioned in the report would actually have been effectively closer to 550km/h as the indicated airspeed at this altitude and mach is around 300KIAS, further slowed down by obstructions in the cabin assuming the rear fuselage was still intact enough at that point in the breakup sequence. In the Lockerbie jet which came down from FL310 there was at least one person who was alive and conscious after he/she hit the ground after having been thrown clear of the aircraft as it broke up, and there was also a mid-air collision at high altitude and -speed between two twinjets decades ago over Zagreb bombing and inflight breakup of a JAT DC9 in 1972 where a flight attendant seated at the rear of the aircraft actually survived to tell the tale.

Realistically, the firing of the missile was probably an honest mistake by the operator, as from his vantage point the elevation rise of a fast airliner at FL300+ would be similar to a slower aircraft (AN26) at lower altitude, but there is still such a thing as 298 counts of manslaughter. But whoever he was, he has probably (been) disappeared long ago.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 13, 2015

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
But think of the fuel savings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Do they not think to redirect flights around active war zones?