Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Food news is over?! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chris Ryan's cohosts the Hollywood Prospectus podcast with Greenwald and has an eminently punchable voice.

Litman also did the reality show podcast and Food news, both with Dave Jacoby.

I've seen a lot of the Grantland sports writers sing Mallory Rubin's name in praise.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I love the Right Reasons podcast. I love lovely reality tv. I love food news. I will be sad to see these go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davecrazy posted:

I never quite understood publishing a book of your website.

revenue?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Noooooo not Hollywood Prospectus and The Right Reasons :(

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Isnt Chris Ryan the one who's a really really good writer? like he did the sumo article and a couple others that were incredible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whatever came of David Hill? I remember he had a fantastic article on Grantland about pool of all things, and I don't think he's done anything in 2015.

E:Here it is

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

the culminator posted:

Isnt Chris Ryan the one who's a really really good writer? like he did the sumo article and a couple others that were incredible.

No, that's Brian Phillips.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Fennessey tweeted that they're working on a 'new, unnamed project,' which makes more sense than them working on Simmons's HBO show.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'M WORKING ON A SECRET PROJECT

DONT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

howe_sam posted:

Chris Ryan's cohosts the Hollywood Prospectus podcast with Greenwald and has an eminently punchable voice.

Litman also did the reality show podcast and Food news, both with Dave Jacoby.

I've seen a lot of the Grantland sports writers sing Mallory Rubin's name in praise.

I will miss the hell out of NBA After Dark. Every sport should have a relaxed podcast dealing primarily with the goofy off the field drama. Sports is soap opera for boys, lets act like it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It's time to play: Spot The Thinly Veiled Racism

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/9234176-74/pirates-mccutchen-huntington#axzz3oFu8FaHU

quote:

Why isn't Andrew McCutchen an MVP-caliber player in the postseason?

No home runs.

No RBIs.

No big moments.

Everybody is waiting for McCutchen to deliver, like a franchise player is expected to do.

Criticism of his underwhelming Octobers is fair, deserved and no different than what is directed at the Penguins' Sidney Crosby and the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger.

Crosby owns a championship ring.

Roethlisberger owns two championship rings.

McCutchen owns earrings.

As a Pittsburgh all-timer, his résumé has a hole.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

the culminator posted:

morestuff posted:

No, that's Brian Phillips.

There's also Bryan Curtis, and i have a tendency to get all three of the them mixed up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress every single

writer

who hits the return

key

as often as he hits

the space

bar

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

There's also Bryan Curtis, and i have a tendency to get all three of the them mixed up.

Chris Ryan and Brian Phillips are both weird looking bald dudes, in your defense

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

two thirds of nba after dark are moving to simmon's new thing so presumably it could survive? is sharp that critical to it's success?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

gently caress every single

writer

who hits the return

key

as often as he hits

the space

bar

It's something that can be traced to the odd spacing afforded by newspapers, but yeah this is extra pretentious.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He's only saying Andrew McCutcheon owns "rings" but not of the put-on-your-hand-because-you-won-a-trophy variety. Sometimes McCutcheon plays with them in and they're pretty visible. He's not saying "HA ANDREW MCKITCHEN IS A friend of the family!" It's still a really dumb article though, especially because of the Bill Plasckle Style Format paragraph spacing.

For the record, Rothelisberger and Crosby do not wear earrings. Also, Rothelisberger is a creepy man with a gray penis.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 12, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Rob Rossi isn't racist he's just dumb

e: his previous effort was making GBS threads over Gerrit Cole for not being elite enough to win the WCG

ElwoodCuse fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 12, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
LOL Deadspin's twitter account just got suspended. And people are leaning towards because they posted MLB gifs. God the MLB is so loving stupid.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

soggybagel posted:

LOL Deadspin's twitter account just got suspended. And people are leaning towards because they posted MLB gifs. God the MLB is so loving stupid.

Or it might have been this

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Why would that get the account suspended?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

soggybagel posted:

Why would that get the account suspended?

If Abbott deleted the tweet you're not supposed to retain/publish a screenshot of it on twitter I believe. It killed a politician tweet tracking thing a while back.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It could just have gotten hacked or something. Seems weird if they start banning news outlets for reporting on deleted tweets.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

SB Nation's GIF account is down too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I guess it could be MLB not wanting anyone under 50 to enjoy their product.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
don't know why you retards need GIFs when you could just buy an old hand radio to listen to games after your bedtime with

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
People are so stupid. The NBA owns social media because they encourage youtube highlights, .gifs, etc. How hard is it to look at the great job they do and say "OK, we should do exactly that"?

The NBA is so far ahead of the other leagues when it comes to embracing social technology. It seems like they got it from day 1. They even have Social Media Awards and hired some guys who started a podcast in a living room to create a show on their channel. Meanwhile the NFL fines you if you tweet to close to the start or finish of a game :rolleyes:

edit
This sums up how badly the other leagues handle it. The NFL is 10 times more popular than the NBA (probably more). The official NBA twitter account has 25% more twitter followers than the NFL one. David Stern went on a podcast 5 years ago. Goodell, as far as I know, still has not.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 13, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ribsauce posted:

The NBA is so far ahead of the other leagues when it comes to embracing social technology. It seems like they got it from day 1. They even have Social Media Awards and hired some guys who started a podcast in a living room to create a show on their channel. Meanwhile the NFL fines you if you tweet to close to the start or finish of a game :rolleyes:

On the other hand MLBAM controls a whole shitload of stuff you wouldn't expect, like HBO Now and March Madness On Demand, anything on ESPN3.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Turns out it was the NFL that got those accounts suspended for gif reasons

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

People are so stupid. The NBA owns social media because they encourage youtube highlights, .gifs, etc. How hard is it to look at the great job they do and say "OK, we should do exactly that"?

edit
This sums up how badly the other leagues handle it. The NFL is 10 times more popular than the NBA (probably more). The official NBA twitter account has 25% more twitter followers than the NFL one. David Stern went on a podcast 5 years ago. Goodell, as far as I know, still has not.

I hear some guy named Simmons has a new podcast, maybe Goodell will do an episode!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gotta fix those twitter numbers! Anemic twitter numbers here! And dont get me started on Instagram

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Ribsauce posted:

Unless you want to talk about the Malice at the Palace

the truth must be told!!!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

On the other hand MLBAM controls a whole shitload of stuff you wouldn't expect, like HBO Now and March Madness On Demand, anything on ESPN3.

WWE network too. And if it turns out the update that it was actually the NFL that did it is true, loving lol

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
At least suppressing the Pistons-Pacers brawl has some league image protection thing. I have no idea what a broader war on GIFs of home runs and football catches is supposed to accomplish on a practical level.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Because they want you to come to their sites to see the gifs and videos and get pageviews for their advertisers.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dutchy posted:

At least suppressing the Pistons-Pacers brawl has some league image protection thing. I have no idea what a broader war on GIFs of home runs and football catches is supposed to accomplish on a practical level.

That poo poo has value, you can't just give it away, for free! The League has to monetize every potential revenue stream to maximize revenue for ownership or we could see the end of the NFL as we know it! You don't want to see the end of the NFL as we know it, do you? DO YOU?!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

zakharov posted:

Because they want you to come to their sites to see the gifs and videos and get pageviews for their advertisers.

They won't go look for content if they have no idea the gifs and the videos are there to be found, and since the NFL's social media/web presence is lacking for a league of its size...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

xbilkis posted:

They won't go look for content if they have no idea the gifs and the videos are there to be found, and since the NFL's social media/web presence is lacking for a league of its size...

No argument here, but that's their reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The NBA is the best league. They had their moments like the stupid ball and Donaghy but they rarely pull moves the NFL constantly does. Hell, even the dress code has turned into one of the best things about the sport.