Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

I was in the library at UT and the loving idiot cops had three squad cars, two ambulances, and two firetrucks go driving through campus with their sirens on so that they could do their DWI crash simulation drill. Everyone was saying WTF and getting scared.

Holy poo poo, great day for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

blue squares posted:

Every single text is "a black male did something weird. it's handled."

Not true! We also get bulls on the loose on campus and yesterday we had a rabid bat!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Buzzfeed did a pretty interesting investigative piece on how poor people get jailed for not paying their fines in Texas, and how that's been banned in law and ruled unconstitutional: http://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltaggart/in-texas-its-a-crime-to-be-poor#.nqy61PBM2

quote:

El Paso city court Presiding Judge Daniel Robledo also said that judges were under no obligation to ask people about their finances — the onus was on defendants to raise the issue. He said that if someone acts responsibly and shows up to court, he’s more understanding, conducting indigency hearings and offering payment plans. In rare circumstances, judges offer community service. But once a person misses a court date, Robledo said, he and the 18 judges he oversees aren’t required to provide any alternatives.

When informed that Texas law says the opposite — that judges consider and document indigency for every defendant facing jail for unpaid fines — Robledo replied, “That’s a good point. That’s a good point. That’s a very good point.”

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I don't think he understands "the point" at all.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Angela Paxton would like to you remind you that she is a pistol-packin' mama whose husband has sued Obama.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

"math PTSD"

Just let that sink in

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is Ken Paxton ever going to jail?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Astros were up big going into the 8th inning of their playoff game today and would have clinched the series if they'd won and gone on to the American League Championship Series. After this tweet, they had a monstrous 8th inning where they gave up their big lead and wound up behind and eventually lost the game, now they have to play a final and deciding game in Kansas City where they could be eliminated if they lose.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

The Astros were up big going into the 8th inning of their playoff game today and would have clinched the series if they'd won and gone on to the American League Championship Series. After this tweet, they had a monstrous 8th inning where they gave up their big lead and wound up behind and eventually lost the game, now they have to play a final and deciding game in Kansas City where they could be eliminated if they lose.

Fuuuuuuck, I was at that game. loving Abbott :argh:

That was a painful 8th inning, goddamn. The Royals' half lasted almost an hour and then the Astros came out and were just swept.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zwabu posted:

There's some weirdness going on with his twitter. His personal one (@GregAbbott_TX, also certified with the blue check) says to unfollow the one that tweeted the Astros thing :psyduck:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

There's some weirdness going on with his twitter. His personal one (@GregAbbott_TX, also certified with the blue check) says to unfollow the one that tweeted the Astros thing :psyduck:

Split personalities, I knew it!

Think he's going to get primaried in 2018?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Good overview of the Constitutional amendments being voted on next month http://www.texastribune.org/2015/10/19/texans-decide-7-constitutional-amendments-nov-3/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good overview of the Constitutional amendments being voted on next month http://www.texastribune.org/2015/10/19/texans-decide-7-constitutional-amendments-nov-3/

Some of the poo poo that our constitution controls baffles me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HHS is blocking Medicaid funds to Planned Parenthood

quote:

Texas health officials say they are kicking Planned Parenthood out of the state Medicaid program entirely over what they called "acts of misconduct" revealed in undercover videos filmed earlier this year.

Republican state leaders, who vehemently oppose abortion, have worked for years to curb taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood — despite the fact that its clinics may not receive such funding if they perform the procedure.

Monday's decision means even Planned Parenthood clinics that only provide well-woman care, like cancer screenings, pregnancy tests and birth control, will also be cut out of receiving dollars from Medicaid, the joint state-federal insurer of the poor.

It's just over $3 million in funding, I don't know what percentage of PP's annual state budget that is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

HHS is blocking Medicaid funds to Planned Parenthood

It's just over $3 million in funding, I don't know what percentage of PP's annual state budget that is.

Ah, yes, Texas. The one state that is managing to push through anti-Abortion legislation doesn't think its going far enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, yes, Texas. The one state that is managing to push through anti-Abortion legislation doesn't think its going far enough.

I was googling around trying to figure out how bad this will be for women's health but I couldn't find any hard data. My recollection though is that PP in Texas gets very little of its total budget from government funds.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Never surprised at how terrible this state can be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I was googling around trying to figure out how bad this will be for women's health but I couldn't find any hard data. My recollection though is that PP in Texas gets very little of its total budget from government funds.

quote:

“More than half of Planned Parenthood’s non-profit health centers are in rural or medically underserved areas, and millions rely on us each year for care. If this bill went into effect, blocking our health centers from serving patients who rely on publicly funded programs for health care, millions of people would struggle to access quality reproductive health care -- period. We’ve seen this in states before: When similar measures were passed in Texas, 54 percent fewer patients received care.”

Several quotes are saying that Texas legislators are simply saying that its a red herring and most patients will go to dedicated providers, which is laughably false because PP is specifically targeted at those that cannot afford that.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
What is wrong with all the goddamn stupid people in this state.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommieGIR posted:

Several quotes are saying that Texas legislators are simply saying that its a red herring and most patients will go to dedicated providers, which is laughably false because PP is specifically targeted at those that cannot afford that.

Bonus: this will noticeably reduce state Medicaid outlays when these women are unable to receive care anywhere! Small government! :toot:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bonus: this will noticeably reduce state Medicaid outlays when these women are unable to receive care anywhere! Small government! :toot:

What happens when they get pregnant? Didn’t this same scenario play out in some other state and it turned out to cost the state more money?

Not that this isn't the desired effect, but still.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Voted early today, no on all the amendments and yes on the Travis County courthouse bond.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pervis posted:

What happens when they get pregnant? Didn’t this same scenario play out in some other state and it turned out to cost the state more money?

Not that this isn't the desired effect, but still.

That's a bit of a hiccup, yes.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Voted early today, no on all the amendments and yes on the Travis County courthouse bond.

Why no roads?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The problem is that it's another dedicated fund. Something insane like 80% or more of the state budget is statutorially allocated before the Legislature ever steps foot in Austin. So dedicating another revenue source to another fund limits the ability of budget writers to respond to needs that crop up. If there's another hurricane or other huge black swan cost, well we just took another $2.5 billion out of available funds because it's required to go to Fund 6. So, while TXDoT desperately needs the money, the proper way to do it would be to put a line item in the budget rather than force future legislatures to do it.

I'm voting for it because I believe the immediate need outweighs the potential and philosophical objections, as well as that, for now, it's good to protect revenue streams to critical services from insane antigovernment legislators.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dedicated funding is a bad idea.

e: beaten. Also it allows the Legislature to pretend they're funding stuff while they're really just moving money around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cowboys didn't need roads. If you don't buy something capable of crossing the wild expanse that is Texas you can get out. :smuggo:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this just a blanket no to our amendment process or do you have a legit gripe about having the land commissioner reside in Austin proper?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He wants George P Bush to live as far away as possible.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Hawkline posted:

Is this just a blanket no to our amendment process or do you have a legit gripe about having the land commissioner reside in Austin proper?

Mostly none of those amendments should be amendments. We've reached this weird "governing by amendment" phase that just reinforces the most broken things about how our legislator does business.

That said, eliminating the Austin residency requirement is also a way for statewide office holders to have more friendly venues for their corruption investigations, as they would no longer be Travis County residents prosecuted by the Travis County DA's office.

(Unrelated, George P Bush goes to my gym and is by all accounts a pretty chill dude.)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hawkline posted:

That and also them not having to be in Austin is a way to get out of the jurisdiction of the Travis County DA.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Unless they commit a crime in Austin, which they may still do if it's in their office. Jurisdiction for criminal offenses is based on where the crime takes place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Unless they commit a crime in Austin, which they may still do if it's in their office. Jurisdiction for criminal offenses is based on where the crime takes place.

Nope. Before this session, the Public Integrity Unit at that Travis Co. DA prosecuted all corruption and ethics charges vs. elected officials. They changed that this session so that the crimes will be prosecuted in the county where the official was elected or county of residence.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh, ok. Thank you for telling me that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No prob. The PIU is at the heart of the Perry indictment. It's been a thorn in the side of the GOP in Austin for decades and when Lehmberg got busted for DUI, Perry saw that as a vulnerability he could exploit. He threatened to line-item veto funding if she didn't step down, she didn't, he did, and got indicted for overreach of powers. The legislature this session "fixed it" for good though, but it's too late for Rick.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It seems so many Republican leaders in Texas are facing charges. Is there a place that lists the status of all those proceedings?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Related, anyone got a good rundown with all the details of the Ken Paxton investigation and trial?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
http://abc13.com/news/judge-in-goforth-murder-case-recuses-herself/1040626/

Such a bizarre case.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My dad works for the General Land Office under George P. Bush, and fears that he'll get fired any day now. They're replacing most of the people who worked there with Young Republican types who helped him get elected, and they're under the impression that you don't need actual photographers since you can just take a picture with your phone and have it be just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Norwegians use "Texas" as slang for "crazy."