Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Innerguard posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time doing combat zone bounties? I pop in, pick DF and deploy weapons and then generally some shithead starts lighting me up, usually a loving railgun packing Asp. I lose my shields before I can even take him down, assuming some of his friends don't jump on me and get in a little bit on the 'kick the vulture in the teeth' action.

I don't want to say ~this patch ruined everything~ but before I was having no problem dropping in, choosing a side, and hanging around greens and just kiting dudes into greens if things got hot

Every time I've tried this patch I've been immediately focused, as in guys fighting greens broke off and gangbanged me. This was when I first learned what life support was actually for! (Somehow never broke canopy before)

Shine posted:

I went to Tamar because it has several minor Empire factions that regularly offer donation missions (sometimes I'd get 4-5 at once, but sometimes you go several rerolls without any; yay probability). Basically sit there all goddamn day rerolling the board and doing all the cash donation missions that come up (and donations for commodities they sell, like food cartridges).

If you're doing this just for the Clipper, then keep in mind the time you'll spend doing this trick could be spent collecting enough RES bounties to very easily afford a Python. I just went the Clipper route because it looks cool.

I mean I'd like a way to get that rep without having to invest time and attention into combat (still have to pay attention to the screen as a Cobra), but I might say screw that and just use that one weird trick (switching modes) to stock up a few million of smuggling missions and hope that cops stop trying to interdict me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone read any of the Elite novels? I'm thinking about reading one....

The ones I've read are pretty good if bog-standard science fiction.

I'd recommend Elite:Reclamation since some of its plot threads have made it in game.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Is it just me or has anyone else been sitting in witchspace for way too long today?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Innerguard posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time doing combat zone bounties? I pop in, pick DF and deploy weapons and then generally some shithead starts lighting me up, usually a loving railgun packing Asp. I lose my shields before I can even take him down, assuming some of his friends don't jump on me and get in a little bit on the 'kick the vulture in the teeth' action.

I do CZ in my vulture so if I ever start to get focused I eject chaff like nervous farts and boost away to get to supercruise then jump back in unless I need to rearm at the handily nearby station. Generally since I'm running I put 3 pips in sys and engines to I can chain boost while still running good damage resistance.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

chaosapiant posted:

are you the same "Alehks" as "CMDR Alehks?" You're in my friends list yay!

I am indeed.

chaosapiant posted:

Is it good?

It's... readable? It's pretty rushed. I mostly dig the official Elite fiction for the world-building.
Here's the description of Faraway transportation. Pre-FSD, Pre-Witchspace Drive:

quote:

Making a Faraway jump in a system as complex and crowded as Lave is no simple business. A hundred eyes are watching you for the slightest mistake. Make a mistake in orbit-space and the next time you go to dock at one of the world's Coriolis space stations a big NOT WELCOME sign might flash in the vacuum before you.

You slip your C-berth under the instruction of Station Space Monitor. Perhaps twenty ships are doing the same. You go when it's safe. You rotate, accelerate, decelerate and spin to the absolute second, both of time and arc. That way you get clear without two thousand tons of duralium trader rammed into your hyperspace jets. It isn't over.

Now you're under the supervision of HSA, Home Space Authority, and they'll jockey you safely about among the traders, and the yachts, and the ferries, and the shuttles, and the star-liners, and the arrow- shaped police patrol ships. All of these vessels slip and slide about you, streaks of silver in the darkness, flashing green and blue lights, sudden walls of grey metal that pass across your bows, winking yellow warning beacons.

You move through this chaos and a new voice begins to call for attention. Now you're with the Faraway Orientation Systems Controller; FOSC—or SysCon—sets you up for the big jump. You're going to cover maybe seven light years in a few minutes, and you might think that's a lot of space to get lost in, but that isn't how it works. Faraway is a tunnel, like any other tunnel. Inside that tunnel is the realm called Witch-Space, a magic place, a place where the normal rules of the Universe don't necessarily work. And every few thousand parsecs along the Witch-Space tunnel there are monitoring satellites, and branch lines, and stop points, and rescue stations; and passing by all of these are perhaps a hundred channels, a hundred 'lines' for ships to travel, each one protected against the two big dangers of hyperspace travel: atomic reorganisation, and time displacement.

Jump on your own through hyperspace, across more than half a light year, and you'll be lucky to make the same Universe, let alone your destination. You might emerge from Witch-Space turned inside out (which is not a pretty sight).

You might be stretched in all the wrong angles, and although the ship keeps travelling, that jelly mass of broken bone and flesh inside the cabin is you.

According to legend, you might come through okay and breathe a sigh of relief, only to go into Earth orbit and wonder why that big lizard, with the teeth and the long tail and the green scales is roaring up at you, and warning you off of his nice Jurassic patch of prehistoric desert.

To go Faraway is a killer, unless you obey the rules.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

3 posted:

Is it just me or has anyone else been sitting in witchspace for way too long today?
Once or twice, yeah.

These smuggling missions, how much cargo do they ask you to run? Is it an excuse to bum around in a sidey again?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pilchenstein posted:

Once or twice, yeah.

These smuggling missions, how much cargo do they ask you to run? Is it an excuse to bum around in a sidey again?

A Sidewinder would miss out on a bunch of them. I had several that were a dozen tons or so.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

3 posted:

Just got on and yeh it's taking forever

Bulletin board operations are also hell of laggy and I got "cannot retrieve missions" or some sort of similar error once

All I want to do is complete the ascension mission that just popped up ugggh

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pilchenstein posted:

Once or twice, yeah.

It varies but I don't think I've seen over 20 or so units.

It was actually an amazing excuse to get back into a Cobra since I feel like that is the perfect smuggler.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

3 posted:

I think there's something going on with the servers, I've had long hyperwitchspace transitions, glitchy interdticions and gotten kicked out of the game while mining a couple of times today.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The money earned by star citizen jpgs is actually spent on reducing all other space games to the same level as star citizen.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Drake_263 posted:

I think there's something going on with the servers, I've had long hyperwitchspace transitions, glitchy interdticions and gotten kicked out of the game while mining a couple of times today.
Yeah, I was getting the same thing last night where I was frequently in witchspace for 30+ seconds where normally it's about 10. I also had a few transaction errors when I tried out some mining.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It varies but I don't think I've seen over 20 or so units.

It was actually an amazing excuse to get back into a Cobra since I feel like that is the perfect smuggler.

Both diamond back variants are great too

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Figured I'd ask here - I'm getting that major fps drop in supercruise that seems to be happening to Windows 10 users with R9 3xx series cards. Anyone know of a fix for it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hey spacebros, how's it going?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Two smuggle missions to the same outpost with a combined payout of one million? Sign me the gently caress up for easy money!

:suicide:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Go make dinner or something? That isn't too bad at all if you have something else you need to do for 15 minutes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Two smuggle missions to the same outpost with a combined payout of one million? Sign me the gently caress up for easy money!

That place got me too. I said "gently caress it" and abandoned those missions.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Insert name here posted:

I was checking out those long-haul missions from far-out outposts last night and ran across a mission wanting someone to run some cargo to another station in 18 minutes for 200,000 cr. I haven't seen those quickie missions since beta.

Would've taken them up on it, too, if it wasn't for a station 396 LY away.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

peter gabriel posted:

Hey spacebros, how's it going?

Better now that you are here :unsmith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally Kermit posted:

Better now that you are here :unsmith:

Yeah I am a let down, not played any games at all so it's not ED or you guys :)

I plugged my Rift and HOTAS in but Win 10 said no, not tried to play since I updated. I think I have it figured out though!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'd not done much interdiction since the update, but it doth appear to be hosed now. On both sides of the equation playing the game almost perfectly against NPCs does nothing but keep me at parity with the largest A-rated FSD I can fit in my Python. It's a game of seeing how long I can hold out before slowly and inevitably losing.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

timn posted:

I'd not done much interdiction since the update, but it doth appear to be hosed now. On both sides of the equation playing the game almost perfectly against NPCs does nothing but keep me at parity with the largest A-rated FSD I can fit in my Python. It's a game of seeing how long I can hold out before slowly and inevitably losing.

Yeah I couldn't interdict a T6 in my vulture and it took what felt like a minute to pull a T7 out of cruise.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Fortunately powerplay targets have some kind of deathwish and are easily lured into initiating, so I can just submit to them and get down to business. :heysexy:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I am a let down, not played any games at all so it's not ED or you guys :)

I plugged my Rift and HOTAS in but Win 10 said no, not tried to play since I updated. I think I have it figured out though!

It is okay here I drew you as a pilot cat:

I was going for a Chii's Sweet Home look and ended up with an onion-head induced thousand yard stare :catdrugs:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally Kermit posted:

It is okay here I drew you as a pilot cat:

I was going for a Chii's Sweet Home look and ended up with an onion-head induced thousand yard stare :catdrugs:

Works for me!!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Bought a new Adder for runabout duties so I could meander around civilized space without having to drag the ol' Anaconda everywhere, and decided I might as well tick something off the checklist:

:toot:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just got friendly rep with Diamond Frogs. I credit this to talking with Kermit earlier. :toot:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Where's the best place to buy/outfit ships again? It blows my mind that the game's this old and you still have to go bargain hunting across the entire galaxy every time you want to get a new ship.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I spent an hour looking for a pristine/mettalic world to mine and no luck

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Gort posted:

Where's the best place to buy/outfit ships again? It blows my mind that the game's this old and you still have to go bargain hunting across the entire galaxy every time you want to get a new ship.

http://ed-td.space/

Players have stepped up and made some nice tools. They rely on people reporting what they find ingame and it turns out ED players are happy to help fill in the gaps.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is online supposed to just dump you into space without any exposition? I have a contract but no idea how to get these military signals or whatever. Playing on Xbone.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Agoat posted:

Is online supposed to just dump you into space without any exposition? I have a contract but no idea how to get these military signals or whatever. Playing on Xbone.

It just kinda turns you loose at a major hub area of the Federation and lets you go at the galaxy with zero direction, yeah.

Protip: taking missions in a sidewinder is usually a bad idea BUT sounds like you grabbed a mission a 'winder can probably accomplish as long as you have a large enough cargo hold. If they want you to go out and find military signal cargo to bring back try cruising around the system it says in the mission (might not be the one you are in but it'll be close) and look for signal sources, probably weak signal sources. Jump into those and look for white contacts on your radar, that's loose cargo pods. Hunt around this way and you will likely stumble onto the items you are after pretty quick.

To scoop cargo you open the cargo hatch (it's on the right panel but you can also have a key bound to this) and then fly into it, watching the mini-game-like indicator on your middle left dashboard. When it's blue and centered you can scoop it.

#elitedangerous on irc.synirc.com is a great place for instant help too.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 13, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Haven't checked into E:D in a while, I saw some posts about the new Federal ships being a lot more agile than the FDS. I was originally grinding slowly towards that, but are the new ships cheaper or of lower required rank? I really like the chunky design of these ships and want something like the Advanced PatCom from I-War 2 to tool around in. The Diamondback Scout is fun and has that feel but I gotta move up sometime.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Had a great time today bounty hunting and smashing combat zones with goon Wings. If you've never done Wings, try it if for no other reason than to use the voice chat. It makes your voices sound like this, right down to the beeps. It's really cool; way more immersive than Mumble or whatever.

Gort posted:

I still and always will wish this game took some cues from Space Rangers 2 and let you access Space Google to look up where to buy anything you need and check prices of trade goods across the galaxy. Alternately, take cues from IRL 2015 where we can do this stuff and presumably would still be able to do so in the year 3400 or whenever this takes place.

Agoat posted:

The game doesn't explain poo poo about dick, but once you learn the ins and outs it'll be fun as hell. Anyway, if it's the sort of mission I'm guessing it is ("go find the containers of this-or-that and bring them back here"), then you need to supercruise around the in system the mission points you to, and look for random "signal sources" to pop up. Travel to them as you would to a station, and cross your fingers that it contains whatever doodah you've been asked to retrieve. Open your cargo scoop and very slowly scoop it up. Then never take those missions again because they are boring.

To make it easier, supercruise at minimum speed. That way you can immediately cruise into the signal sources when they pop up instead of having to slow down and all that jazz.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

With that said, I agree 100% on Goku being able to defeat Kenshiro and there are many facts that back this up with the proper research online.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll pop into IRC next time I play. And yeah the mission is really dumb. No real feedback on whether or not I'm doing it right.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shine posted:

With that said, I agree 100% on Goku being able to defeat Kenshiro and there are many facts that back this up with the proper research online.

Excuse me Kenshiro can definitely kick Goku's rear end, but I'd buy that Goku could beat Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po77bJk1DdI

I mean he turns around what would obviously be a killing blow without even doing anything to the guy.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I am going to strangle someone the next time I get a transaction error while mining Painite. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sard posted:

Haven't checked into E:D in a while, I saw some posts about the new Federal ships being a lot more agile than the FDS. I was originally grinding slowly towards that, but are the new ships cheaper or of lower required rank? I really like the chunky design of these ships and want something like the Advanced PatCom from I-War 2 to tool around in. The Diamondback Scout is fun and has that feel but I gotta move up sometime.
PatCom bros :hfive:

• Locked thread