Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Fluffy posted:

This sounds like something you'd find in an underground Xcrawl arena, not to mention D&D clerics aren't supposed to use bows either. :psyduck:
As I also mentioned, he wrote a character putting bracers of dexterity on their feet - because their manual dexterity was already so highly-tuned that the extra speed threw him off, but he needed to catch the road runnersome speedy sprite so it's cool and also another reason why Drizzt's so badass and eventually gets to gently caress the little girl he raised as an uncle.

For me, the straw that killed my interest was definitely when he gave the Barbarian PTSD. I didn't finish that book and everything following I've just observed from afar with a grimace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

I assumed that Anaander had bodies of all genders and races and etc. (Also I think Uran was gendered male in book two?)

I think Anaander was mentioned as specifically being cloned, versus the Ancillaries who were various frozen POWs/political prisoners.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

fritz posted:

I assumed that Anaander had bodies of all genders and races and etc. (Also I think Uran was gendered male in book two?)

Anaander uses clone bodies exclusively except for that one time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That is why he hosed up in book 2. He messed up taking over Tisarwat because all of his implant stuff was specific to his brain and he didn't have any general purpose gear or real experience with other brains.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
50 pages left in Traitor Baru. I'm getting so tense! I know it's building up to something, with all these hints about hidden secrets and things in the past half-remembered. I should be snuggling my boyfriend in bed right now but screw him, I'm staying up to finish this book! :stare: :munch: :ohdear:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just got Traitor Baru as a late birthday/early christmas gift! :toot: Wondering if I should read some cheerful, upbeat stuff first to act as a buffer. :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

I just got Traitor Baru as a late birthday/early christmas gift! :toot: Wondering if I should read some cheerful, upbeat stuff first to act as a buffer. :ohdear:

Read tLWtaSAP. It's great, and mostly upbeat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Trip report: :smithicide:

edit:

Okay, now can someone who listened to the audiobook tell me how these loving names are pronounced??

Unuxekome
Lyxaxu
Xate Yawa
Xate Olake

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 11, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So I got the first three black company books a while back and have been enjoying them. Are the rest of the books in the series / universe good or should I stop after the first three?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

chrisoya posted:

Can anyone recommend some books "like The Martian," for someone who loved it (and the film) but doesn't really read SF, or much at all? Ideally semi-recent paperbacks that I could find easily.

Yeah, it's my mum's birthday. I just shrugged and bought another copy of The Traitor because she liked Game of Thrones and it's good, but I have no idea what sort of books might qualify. I read too much terrible junk and overly nerdy stuff to begin to guess. Maybe Aurora?

Red Mars by Kim Stanely Robinson.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So I got the first three black company books a while back and have been enjoying them. Are the rest of the books in the series / universe good or should I stop after the first three?

The first few are the best. I thought the quality went down a bit after them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Hedrigall posted:

Trip report: :smithicide:

edit:

Okay, now can someone who listened to the audiobook tell me how these loving names are pronounced??

Unuxekome
Lyxaxu
Xate Yawa
Xate Olake

x is pronounced "sh" in Aurdwynn, but I don't know 100% how the syllables break down. I read them as "You knew she comb", "Lie sha shu", "Shate Yawa" and "Shate O-lake".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are pronounced exactly like they are spelled. HTH.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
On the subject of pronunciations, I truly feel for anyone who chooses to listen to the audiobook version of The Goblin Emperor.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

"The Silver Spike" is a side story but also my favorite in the series, the rest of the books go downhill and the last one is just plain no good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, that. The Silver Spike wraps up the Raven/Silent/Darling triangle and the Dominator's storyline and it's pretty good, but I could not get into anything after that one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please talk about Traitor in the BOTM thread =(

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I am waiting for the 15th!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

I am waiting for the 15th!

What's on the 15th besides being 4 days closer to Halloween?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please don't post any major spoilers till the 15th to give people time to read it. After that, discussion is fine, but please use spoiler tags.

It was his idea!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah that rule may be causing more issues than it solves. Prob should just say use spoiler tags.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Alright! Just got the offical "OK" for the new arc of Kraken Rising by Greig Beck!

Airpost fiction meets lovecraft meets probably a 7 on the Reilly scale, so I got big hopes for this one.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hey General Battuta, Charlie Stross just gushed about your book in the comments section on his blog and said it'll probably be one of his Hugo nominations:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/10/it-could-be-worse.html#comment-1982478

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Argh. I've a long flight coming up and am saving Traitor and Ancillary Mercy to read on the plane.

I don't know that I can last. Giving up smoking was easier than this...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kesper North posted:

Hey General Battuta, Charlie Stross just gushed about your book in the comments section on his blog and said it'll probably be one of his Hugo nominations:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/10/it-could-be-worse.html#comment-1982478

Hey, awesome! Thanks for pointing that out.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nullkigan posted:

I liked The Traitor:

Aurdwynn is not-Genoa with a nice defendable river up to the not-Alps.
Falcrest is not-Rome.
Taranoki is not-Corsica / not-Sardinia.
Orianti is not-Siciliy / not-Tunisia/Carthage (Phoenicians).
The Stakhierzi are the not-Gauls and not-Goths, except potentially organised and with even better smiths.

I don't see that to be honest. Falcrest alone has not much in common with Rome except that it is an Empire that doesn't discriminate because of race (which Rome didn't do much at least not for the first few centuries). The missing efficient central and bureaucratic structure and the total lack of understanding of monetary theory of the Roman Empire was one of its biggest deficits, while their army was one of their biggest assets, pretty much the opposite of Falcrest. Falcrest is far more like Venice during the Strato da Mar combined with the British Empire and various elements of periods of China in my opinion.

I think General Battuta went out of his way to make every one of the cultures we've seen so far not a "Historic culture X but with a slight twist", but amalgams of known elements from our world, good and bad.

Decius fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 12, 2015

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Hey SF goons! Got any recommendations for a guy who loved the The Jean le Flambeur Trilogy (Quantum thief, Fractal prince, Causal Angel) and Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest (Ughh I want the third book so bad)?

Currently reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and it's pretty decent so far. Would love something more "hi tech" or uh "hard" or whatever people call it though. Any ideas? :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Try The Player of Games by Iain Banks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

AEMINAL posted:

Hey SF goons! Got any recommendations for a guy who loved the The Jean le Flambeur Trilogy (Quantum thief, Fractal prince, Causal Angel) and Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest (Ughh I want the third book so bad)?

Currently reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and it's pretty decent so far. Would love something more "hi tech" or uh "hard" or whatever people call it though. Any ideas? :)
Blindsight? Peter Watts' other books are good too.

Revelation Space?

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

AEMINAL posted:

A Deepness in the Sky would fit the bill -- the alien world depicted in it has certain similarities to the one in the Three Body Problem (whichever book by Vinge doesn't have the Tines, I can never remember). Also seconding the Player of Games because the book owns and that series is a clear inspiration for Leckie.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Megazver posted:

Try The Player of Games by Iain Banks.

The Player Of Games looks very up my alley, loving what I'm seeing on the wiki page for "The Culture"!

Thanks for the recommendations, goons are the best when it comes to good sci-fi :)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

uberkeyzer posted:

A Deepness in the Sky would fit the bill -- the alien world depicted in it has certain similarities to the one in the Three Body Problem (whichever book by Vinge doesn't have the Tines, I can never remember). Also seconding the Player of Games because the book owns and that series is a clear inspiration for Leckie.
A Fire Upon the Deep is the "first" book in the Fire/Deepness duology, and has Tines, and alien space USENET. Hexapodia is the key insight. It's also very good, but there's no real need to read them in any particular order, or even know that the other book exists while you read one of them.

Vinge wrote a third book a while back, and I couldn't make it through. I regularly read trash, this was just dull and boring and not worth it. Do not read Children of the Sky.

Read The Culture. If you're a bored nerd and run out of Banks, there's an old licensed Doctor Who novel called The Also People which is a really blatant Culture knock-off.

Edit: Huh. Ben Aaronovitch wrote that. His Rivers of London series is good urban fantasy.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 12, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Khizan posted:

It was never about the Chandrian. It's always been about Kvothe and the events that led to him being some kind of folk hero. The Chandrian only ever mattered in that they were a motivating factor for him.

Actually, it's about the Ctaeh. Kvothe just happens to be its current giggle producer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drifter posted:

The first few are the best. I thought the quality went down a bit after them.

I see a lot of people dissing the Books of Sleepy in here. I found her one of my favorite narrators with a really easy to read style.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

I see a lot of people dissing the Books of Sleepy in here. I found her one of my favorite narrators with a really easy to read style.

I liked the whole Black Company series and thought the ending was really satisfying. :shrug:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
KJ Parker's latest thing, The Last Witness, was definitely a KJ Parker novella.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Just finished Luna: The New Moon, and it's one of the better sci-fi books I've read in a while. It's the first Ian McDonald book I've read, really impressed. It's a little dark, has great characters and the world is one of the better descriptions of a believable near-future.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shadowmarch was good, a real page-turner. I was worried about liking it at the beginning (the chapters at the beginning introducing the Funderlings [Williams' dwarf stand-in] were very worrisome, but they became less goofy over time).

Starting Shadowplay now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quote:

The Dragons of Dorcastle (The Pillars of Reality Book 1) Kindle Edition
by Jack Campbell (Author)
The first book in a thrilling new epic fantasy saga by Jack Campbell, the New York Times best-selling author of The Lost Fleet series!
http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Dorca...60_SR112%2C160_

This...has to be bad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm roughly a quarter of the way through An Ancient Peace by Tanya Huff and am enjoying it a lot. I'm really liking the "back home from the war" feeling of emptiness that's turned up to 11 with tension from speciesist animosity between the pacifist older races of the Confederation and the more recently spacefaring species who were brought in for their ability to wage war.