Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

EdsTeioh posted:

EDIT: Did your restarted league have all of the wrestlers you'd already acquired or did it give you a new random lot? Also, do you remember your starting group of guys? I'm curious to see if it's always the same.

When I did my New Game+, it started me off with everything I had in my last fed.

My main guys are Dr. B., Star Boy, Arizona Chance, The Piranna. Other than that I have a dirtbike guy, a karate guy, an amateur wrestler with a huge head? Oh and the Rockers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

triplexpac posted:

When I did my New Game+, it started me off with everything I had in my last fed.

My main guys are Dr. B., Star Boy, Arizona Chance, The Piranna. Other than that I have a dirtbike guy, a karate guy, an amateur wrestler with a huge head? Oh and the Rockers too.

I had to buy Arizona Chance. He's leveled up nicely though, and now I have his action figure (Star Boy, too). I had Rad Racer, Johnny Kobra, and Pat Cabbage also, along with some Twisted Sister guy.

The whole thing reminds me of playing with my MUSCLE figures back in the late 80's, which is awesome.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

how is Booking Revolution?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
WWE2k15 is $12.49 on steam till Monday(?). At that price even I would say go ahead and buy it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do wonder where the worst parts come from. Is Yukes just a hired gun that takes direction from THQ/2K? Is it collaborative? What would these games have been like if THQ made the correct decision to go with AKI when they jumped to the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation? Almost feels like we're never getting a good game again at this point.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Nut Bunnies posted:

I do wonder where the worst parts come from. Is Yukes just a hired gun that takes direction from THQ/2K? Is it collaborative? What would these games have been like if THQ made the correct decision to go with AKI when they jumped to the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation? Almost feels like we're never getting a good game again at this point.

The demand of a yearly released game that looks and feels like a triple A title while not giving them the resources or manpower required to make sure the experience is as finely tuned as possible. As long as wrestling is still labeled as a "white trash sport" and given less than a third of the budget Madden or NBA gets they'll always be bad.

Also they're getting worse because game development costs are increasing astronomically to keep up with the cutting edge graphics race while the budget given barely increases.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
while it is clear that 2k is supporting their attempts to get their engine up to a modern level, their tech is so far behind that they're going to be severely limited by what they can do in realistically 6-8 months without risking breakage. there's no reason (and it appears they finally got this in this year) that there should be loading screens if you watch through the ring intros, for instance. but streaming assets asynchronously is only that only became realistic with the 360/ps3's multiple cores

i also believe their tech didn't even support normal mapping before 2k came in. they were just making up for it by throwing characters with hundreds of thousands of tris. they have the talent to some degree looking at ufc undisputed 3, but they have so much technical debt that they need to overcome first.

and that's without even getting into the gameplay of it, but i just think trying to present a fake thing as if it's a real competitive sport in a game is never going to work. i don't find any of the wrestling games to be any fun, especially when compared to fighting games. and i'm not even good at those. i just play it because i like wrestling.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 12, 2015

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

spongeh posted:

and that's without even getting into the gameplay of it, but i just think trying to present a fake thing as if it's a real competitive sport in a game is never going to work. i don't find any of the wrestling games to be any fun, especially when compared to fighting games. and i'm not even good at those. i just play it because i like wrestling.

There were a couple years where the wrestling game offerings had things like customizable reversal styles and character abilities/traits that tried to recreate some of the more theatrical elements of wrestling. Like, you could give a Mick Foley-type the trait that when he gets bloody, he perks up and gets a special and mugs for the camera a bit. I felt like that was a good video gamey way to recreate the narrative aspects of wrestling in a competitive game, but it was never fully developed. I think they should have explored that angle a lot more.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'd be so happy if they just took a year off to come back with a better game, but with the focus on short-term financials it's never gonna happen. We're stuck with perpetually mediocre titles, for the sake of a bullet point at quarterly stockholder meetings. :/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spongeh posted:

I see this complaint all the time and it baffles me. What would you prefer? A game where you're working the match? A: What would that even look like? Octodad? and B: Even if there's a good way to do it, who's the audience? Your average WWE 2K player doesn't care about how Heath Slater's selling makes him the best worker to do a squash match, they want to pretend to be Brock Lesnar in kayfabe and kill dudes.

It's like a perfect storm of unfun and unmarketable.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Gaz-L posted:

I see this complaint all the time and it baffles me. What would you prefer? A game where you're working the match? A: What would that even look like? Octodad? and B: Even if there's a good way to do it, who's the audience? Your average WWE 2K player doesn't care about how Heath Slater's selling makes him the best worker to do a squash match, they want to pretend to be Brock Lesnar in kayfabe and kill dudes.

It's like a perfect storm of unfun and unmarketable.

i don't know! all i can really say is if wrestling games didn't have wrestlers in them there would be nothing appealing to me about them, even no mercy and wcw/nwo revenge and such. i've had fun with fire pro despite not knowing any japanese wrestling, but i'm not a huge fan of the sprite style. i've definitely enjoyed the 80s arcade games, not so much the wwf raw style games for the snes though. maybe the whole concept is just unworkable at a really basic level for me. i usually end up picking up the games every other year, or on sale, but it's due to the strength of wwe's characters, and not based on the merits of the gameplay.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just want another arcade style game like All-Stars or Wrestlefest or something.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

spongeh posted:

i don't know! all i can really say is if wrestling games didn't have wrestlers in them there would be nothing appealing to me about them, even no mercy and wcw/nwo revenge and such. i've had fun with fire pro despite not knowing any japanese wrestling, but i'm not a huge fan of the sprite style. i've definitely enjoyed the 80s arcade games, not so much the wwf raw style games for the snes though. maybe the whole concept is just unworkable at a really basic level for me. i usually end up picking up the games every other year, or on sale, but it's due to the strength of wwe's characters, and not based on the merits of the gameplay.
I get where you're coming from. Ideally, a wrestling game played at the highest competitive level should produce what resembles a "good match" on TV. But this is very had to capture in a multiplayer game, especially when you watch wrestling with a critical eye and get a feel for the "correct" flow of a match. Even the general video game concept of a "moveset" isn't really true to TV wrestling.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someone should just make a rhythm game where instead of dancing your characters are having a wrestling match.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Fire Pro is probably the game that best simulates the pace of a real wrestling match, with the slow build to more devastating moves over time. It still has oddities though, particularly in matches ending with weak-rear end shin kicks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I want Wrestling Revolution and Wrestling Mpire but with actual graphics and coding.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

spongeh posted:

It's hard to recreate the drama of an actual wrestling match, yet have it be competitive. It's like... I want to do that cool stuff like the catch finishers, but you might not actually win that way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The question of "why can't they" with basically any kind of creative project is one of time and budget. And wrestling isn't a market that generally warrants "brand new engine from scratch" investment, let alone "pay ~30-40 people for more than a year without a finished product" investment .

This chassis is the one we're stuck with year to year, it's a matter of how much new stuff they can do with the same amount of money and time. When they have to overhaul, as they did in the console upgrade, they end up losing years' worth of accumulated additions. But that's the way it is when you release yearly and don't sell well enough to justify more money.

Shima Honnou posted:

I want Wrestling Revolution and Wrestling Mpire but with actual graphics and coding.
I thought the whole appeal of Mdickie was his loose coding standards.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I just want the story creator to come back. Is that so much to ask for? :smith:

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Does 2K and/or Yukes have an exclusive license or is it just for "simulations" or whatever. Because if they could write the big check to Netherrealm to make Immortals using the MKX engine that would be rad.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

is there any way to see "experience" on a card? I would like to know how close I am to maxing it, or what their max skills are

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

They made a game where you could run anyone on the roster over with anyone else on the roster, and then that's all anybody who played the mode ever did with it. What more do you want dammit, can't have that kinda excitement in 2 games

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Rhonne posted:

40 minutes into The Goldust Mysteries:

KING: What do you think of all these Goldust Mysteries, JR?
JR: Frankly, King, I don't care if he lives or dies!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

beggar posted:

Does 2K and/or Yukes have an exclusive license or is it just for "simulations" or whatever. Because if they could write the big check to Netherrealm to make Immortals using the MKX engine that would be rad.
2K has exclusive rights to WWE branding and talent. That's usually how things work these days.

THQ had something similar cooking for a brief period, I'm not sure it ever got beyond the concept stage.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You know what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRWq_L4ISc
Game's still got it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MotU posted:

is there any way to see "experience" on a card? I would like to know how close I am to maxing it, or what their max skills are

Not to my knowledge. I just randomly get merch when guys max out. I'm at 4 now; 2 action figures, a video game, and a tshirt.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Minidust posted:

I get where you're coming from. Ideally, a wrestling game played at the highest competitive level should produce what resembles a "good match" on TV. But this is very had to capture in a multiplayer game, especially when you watch wrestling with a critical eye and get a feel for the "correct" flow of a match. Even the general video game concept of a "moveset" isn't really true to TV wrestling.

The thing that annoys me is that Fire Pro & AKI games made wrestling matches that are really fun and dramatic to play. So it's not like it's some impossible feat, we've seen it done before in other games.

If there had never been a fun wrestling game before I'd cut THQ a lot more slack.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

beggar posted:

I was really hoping they could do something like this when I saw the mobile game. Most of what Netherrealm has put out in the last 5 years has been pretty good.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only thing that would make me pay for a game like this (and we're talking $5-10) would be a game that at least was riddled with amazing bugs. I had so much fun with WWE 12 because it was so poorly made.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
WWE2k15 just went back to full price on the xbox. I'll take this as a sign.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, Jeff Gerstmann is pissy because they included Dr. Tracksuit in the latest trailer. He pops up at 1:37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJMV1dVBwx0

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Lodin posted:

Lol, Jeff Gerstmann is pissy because they included Dr. Tracksuit in the latest trailer. He pops up at 1:37.

Who is Jeff Gertsmann and who is Dr Tracksuit?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Gerstman is one of the heads at Giantbomb and from time to time he manages (his alterego) Dr. Tracksuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cluvVIlae_4

Cool homage in the trailer, but they probably should have asked him about it first.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Creation suite preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOz-OWBiw5M

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gerstmann doubling down on being an idiot, nice.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if I were Jeff I'd be pissed as hell that they decided to use my likeness to promote their lovely video game and potentially make people think I endorsed it in some way

it's a good thing the game's going to be poo poo because if it was good and Giant Bomb gave it a good review there'd be a bunch of Ethics In Games people yelling oh, collusion!. hell, they still might if GB's inevitable 2-star review isn't negative enough

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 14, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Is he the only fat bearded white guy to ever wear a tracksuit?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont care about famous gamers im a better gamer than all of them

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Lodin posted:

Looking good and also lol at the what ring

epitasis posted:

i dont care about famous gamers im a better gamer than all of them

the only famous gamers that matter are xavier and the rest, all the others are just smarks who don't know how to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's nothing remotely identifiable about him in that trailer he's being a huge baby.