Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ilkhan posted:

Tread or sidewall?

I managed to get a sidewall nail in my mustangs tire.
The day after I picked it up.
It had 35 miles on it.

$200 of tire and $100 of road hazard coverage / taxes later I once again had 4 brand new tires. :(

Tire thankfully, although it was really close to not being able to be plugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Reposting for this page as I need to lock it in today:

About to place my Focus RS order. I'm thinking the only options I'll get is the blue paint (duh) and the RS2 interior package.

Anything else I should grab? I'm convinced the cup tires will be too much for the winter here in Seattle.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

About to place my Focus RS order. I'm thinking the only options I'll get is the blue paint (duh) and the RS2 interior package.
You dick.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Anything else I should grab? I'm convinced the cup tires will be too much for the winter here in Seattle.
F youuuuuu.

I'm just jealous I cant even afford your beater car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Breaking up with this chick today. Wish me luck.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Adiabatic posted:

Let her down easy and give her a picture of a dog playing with a cat to soften the blow...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

I didn't know they made a hot wheel version of the Homer but I totally want one now.

The local Five Below had like 10 of them when I was there today. Had I know people here wanted them I'd have grabbed them all up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

I thought things were going real good?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

poo poo just fizzled out over the past couple weeks. I know when a good thing is over, just gotta muster up the courage to do it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

poo poo just fizzled out over the past couple weeks. I know when a good thing is over, just gotta muster up the courage to do it.

:(

Good luck.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cage posted:

You dick.
F youuuuuu.

I'm just jealous I cant even afford your beater car.

I was gonna buy a used S65 or S600 or something but figure this will be more fun.

EDIT: I'm just concerned about the seat, given my back issues.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

:( Sorry dude, hope it works out either way

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Comrade Flynn posted:

Cup tires probably are too much for Seattle.
On the other hand, why would you NOT get cup tires on an RS?

Adiabatic posted:

:(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

It's never easy but it's better than dragging things out and making it worse in the long run :(

A trip to Wonderland would probably help ease the suffering :getin:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

meatpimp posted:

Moving the conversation here, since 14" wants to keep his thread pure and unsullied by those of us that are not resigned to oblivion.

I think you misinterpreted the way I asked to keep car discussion out of the AI metal thread. And besides, I dump out a bit of poison and then everyone's chipper again. It's just the way I work because even medicated my mood swings are a bitch. I think I spoke with you a few years back over the full diagno sis when I had that 5150.

Besides for all the nihilism in the world, there are always beacons of hope. Like how my entire life's purpose has been validated by what just happened. My boss's boss, the regional manager, was here on an OSHA inspection and they walked up to me and asked if there are any unmarked containers of storage we have they can correct before the state inspection occurs and I not only asked "do I count as an unlabeled container" but the fart I felt brewing cooperated and ripped out the longest, loudest, splatteriest fart I possibly could have ever done on the spot without making GBS threads myself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 INCH DICK posted:

I think you misinterpreted the way I asked to keep car discussion out of the AI metal thread. And besides, I dump out a bit of poison and then everyone's chipper again. It's just the way I work because even medicated my mood swings are a bitch. I think I spoke with you a few years back over the full diagno sis when I had that 5150.

Besides for all the nihilism in the world, there are always beacons of hope. Like how my entire life's purpose has been validated by what just happened. My boss's boss, the regional manager, was here on an OSHA inspection and they walked up to me and asked if there are any unmarked containers of storage we have they can correct before the state inspection occurs and I not only asked "do I count as an unlabeled container" but the fart I felt brewing cooperated and ripped out the longest, loudest, splatteriest fart I possibly could have ever done on the spot without making GBS threads myself.

We did talk dude, we're cool, don't worry. I really didn't want to continue a derail, though. :hf:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DICK posted:

My boss's boss, the regional manager, was here on an OSHA inspection and they walked up to me and asked if there are any unmarked containers of storage we have they can correct before the state inspection occurs and I not only asked "do I count as an unlabeled container" but the fart I felt brewing cooperated and ripped out the longest, loudest, splatteriest fart I possibly could have ever done on the spot without making GBS threads myself.

:allears: This truly is the best of all possible worlds.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I spent the last four hours washing my car for the first time since April 2014

Still an ION under all the dirt :rip:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Don't be so negative.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is the dealer being up front regarding how much their markup will be?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Geoj posted:

I just quoted one out and I'm curious to hear if he's had any better luck. My local (very small) dealer didn't even know yet what it would be.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Don't be so negative.

t:mad:

Check out how shiny plastic can get:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

t:mad:

Check out how shiny plastic can get:

Braille parking spotted.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Braille parking spotted.

yeah the paint is rough as poo poo

I'm considering plastidipping it then possibly clearcoating over it but that's a lot of effort for a lovely car

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Geoj posted:

He claimed it would be for MSRP. I had another ask for $20k markup and laughed in his face.

Also said it may actually be here before 2016.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Are S4 Avants bad cars? I saw some pictures and they are gorgeous cars. Also, as it turns out, my wife hates Foresters and would prefer I get a cool car like a BMW, Audi, or any other four-door turbo V6/V8 including the G8

I've never been interested in German cars so idk where to start

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

Are S4 Avants bad cars? I saw some pictures and they are gorgeous cars. Also, as it turns out, my wife hates Foresters and would prefer I get a cool car like a BMW, Audi, or any other four-door turbo V6/V8 including the G8

Most stereotypes about Audis are true. Great cars if you have the time, skill and space to work on them yourself. Twin turbo cars are notorious for oil feed problems, which necessitate engine removal or subframe drop. V8 cars sound absolutely awesome, but are prone to timing chain issues. Solution? Remove motor.

Edit: Here's a picture of a timing chain setup from an S4. Note that this is the side that faces the firewall.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 13, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tusen Takk posted:

If it's out of warranty or not a lease, I'd stay the gently caress away from any Audi

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Most stereotypes about Audis are true.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well that went super well.

We found out we were feeling the same feelings, agreed that we shouldn't keep going where there's nothing, and then talked a bit and she left.

:unsmith:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

Which year?
The V6 turbos have two major issues: the turbos (which need an engine pull), unless changed to something non-OEM will fail (a rare case of more power=more reliable) and they leave oil like a sieve. The automatic transmissions are poo poo and the manuals are kind of ok, but will fail under high power. Also, it is a B5 audi A4, so the suspension components will fail and the interior will have fallen apart.
The V8 is arguably worse because all the timing components are on the back and they have some other issues. Not that jalopnick is a reliable source, but: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510
They're all money pits, but a manual 2.7TT with turbos already done is probably the least money pit of them.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 13, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Most stereotypes about Audis are true. Great cars if you have the time, skill and space to work on them yourself. Twin turbo cars are notorious for oil feed problems, which necessitate engine removal or subframe drop. V8 cars sound absolutely awesome, but are prone to timing chain issues. Solution? Remove motor.

Edit: Here's a picture of a timing chain setup from an S4. Note that this is the side that faces the firewall.

which would be fine if they lasted hundreds of thousands of miles like old school non-tensioner setups, but those guides wear out at like 60k. so gently caress all of that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hello darkness my old friend:

I'm now up to retest #6 (7 tests total). It's carbon monoxide at load is what I keep failing on. I've advanced the timing, retarded the timing, hosed with the 34PICT/3 back and forth on idle adjustment (which it's okay with now, passes both idle tests). It's just this goddamned loaded CO. All but one of the tests they drove it up to 25 on the dyno in 2nd gear, and I asked them to do it in 3rd gear once and it came back at like 9%.

The first test was 10% CO both loaded and idle, and I failed both HCs, but I threw a gallon of denatured alcohol into the 7 gallons already in there and it dropped HC right down.

I also put in brand new plugs, one range hotter (BR7 NGKs instead of BR8s) and that helped a tiny bit, and fixed my idle miss issue.

Seriously thinking about a mailboxes etc address in like Flagstaff or something but then I'd have to drive up there to do it. Send a few power bills there, change my registered county, bam. Don't know how feasable that is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Move to california. You wouldn't need to smog it here. :smugdog:

Enourmo posted:

which would be fine if they lasted hundreds of thousands of miles like old school non-tensioner setups, but those guides wear out at like 60k. so gently caress all of that.

Plastic on metal on a part not designed to be serviced: always a great idea.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some kid in a tarted up EG Civic crashed up here at Deal's Gap. Apparently the "wheel fell off", but I think it was the driver's front wheel on a left-hand hairpin.

I'm a fuckin' old man, I'm excited that an entire day driving in the mountains "briskly" resulted in 35+ mpg average on the trip computer. Car is good.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Excessive carbon monoxide emissions could indicate that your catalytic converter is dead or dying, especially if unburned hydrocarbons were too high before you put the alcohol in the tank - catcon works by combining unburned fuel and CO to make CO2.

Might be worth checking the cat out, especially if it hasn't been touched in decades :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

literally a fish posted:

Excessive carbon monoxide emissions could indicate that your catalytic converter is dead or dying, especially if unburned hydrocarbons were too high before you put the alcohol in the tank - catcon works by combining unburned fuel and CO to make CO2.

Might be worth checking the cat out, especially if it hasn't been touched in decades :v:

He's gonna spend a long time looking for a cat on a 1972 bug.

edit: I would be curious if you could add a cheapo OBDI cat to the car to pass emissions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Last year I had it to Idle: 87/400 HC and 0.83%/4.2% CO, and 241/400 HC and 2.12%/5.50 CO under load. Then I put a new carburetor on it and everything is hosed.

nm posted:

He's gonna spend a long time looking for a cat on a 1972 bug.

edit: I would be curious if you could add a cheapo OBDI cat to the car to pass emissions.

Yeah, I wonder if I could find a cat for less than $140 or so and slap it on there or something. But the beetle's exhaust system is cramped:

Could I, say, cut and weld in two of these?

https://www.catalyticconvertersonline.com/p-1975-volkswagen-beetle-universal-federal-catalytic-converter-150714

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 13, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

HAHAHHAHAHA Holy gently caress what the hell were they even thinking?

That has to be the most overly complicated timing chain I have ever seen, and I thought M62's were bad. That's on a whole other level of "gently caress you"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BrokenKnucklez posted:

HAHAHHAHAHA Holy gently caress what the hell were they even thinking?

"Our target market leases for two years or less and will get rid of the car long before this becomes a problem."

Also bear in mind this is coming from the same parent company that thought cheating on emissions testing was a sound business strategy so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm going to loving stab someone tonight.

• Locked thread