Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Starshark posted:

WTF how do they justify that?

As it's only if you're not paying tax in the other country sounds like a way of stopping tax dodges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Because the ATO taxes you based on "Residency: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/ And then in nearly all cases the international tax agreements prevent double taxation since if you have to lodge your taxes in one jurisdiction you can't be taxed in another.

The US system is based on citizenship interestingly enough. That's why for estate planning if a US citizen lives in Australia its suggested that they renounce their US citizenship so their estate isn't subject to US estate tax - because Australia doesn't have an estate tax so there's no double taxation to be prevented.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog time!

In a one time show of deference to hooman's complaint about large kitten pictures, a smaller kitten picture has been provided:

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Urcher posted:

They do. Foreign tax paid counts, so if your UK taxes were more than the Australian taxes you pay nothing. If they were less you pay the difference.

It's probably worth getting an accountant to do your taxes this year.

I suspect they were more, but I'm at a point in my life over the next few months where losing even a few hundred bucks could make things very difficult.

What happens if you just don't lodge one? I was trying to figure out whether I should lodge one in the UK and was told by several of my coworkers that they'd just "never done one." I couldn't really figure out how that works.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Tonight's Q&A is quite decent to be honest, the couple 1950's assimilation questions were some nice laughs, top notch.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Quick and dirty off the top of my head: ATO wants to know about capital gains on Australian assets (the shares).
You shouldn't pay tax on the UK wages, as they are foreign sourced income and you were a non-resident.
However, it may be used for things like determining offset entitlements, tax free threshold on the CGT etc.

This is not real tax advice, I have done zero research, consulted zero sources and probably includes one or more huge errors but it's nearly midnight here and I'm sleepy.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

I suspect they were more, but I'm at a point in my life over the next few months where losing even a few hundred bucks could make things very difficult.

What happens if you just don't lodge one? I was trying to figure out whether I should lodge one in the UK and was told by several of my coworkers that they'd just "never done one." I couldn't really figure out how that works.

You might get a penalty for failing to lodge a tax return in the future, which if you got one you could ask to be waived once you lodge the return due to whatever personal circumstances or just in light of you previously good record. The ATO has an international line if you want to call them and ask. 8am to 5pm AEST +61 2 6216 1111. Or delegate and get a friend in Australia to ring and ask general questions about what someone in your situation should do. Like skype to your friend while they're on the phone so you can pass info back and forth. They won't be able to access your account like that but they should be able to answer questions about what someone in your situation should do. Or, ring up the international line, pass the proof of identity part, and then add someone you really trust to your account so they can ring on your behalf and access/provide/change specific details if necessary in the future. If you're overseas for a long time it's not a bad idea to have a parent or someone you *really* trust to be able to ring up and do tax stuff for you. It also helps if the ATO is trying to contact you for whatever reason.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oh, to be clear, I'm back in Australia now. I'm just wary about actually inquiring with them because I don't want to... tip them off, I guess? I dunno, maybe I'm just wary after hearing years of horror stories about Americans confronted by the IRS expecting them to pay back tax even though they've been overseas for years and years.

But I'll ring them up and check tomorrow. I think it should probably be OK because UK tax is, IIRC, higher than Aussie tax. But even though I'm in my late 20s now I still regard a tax return as something I vaguely click through after several beers, so it's weird to think about it as something complicated which might get me in trouble.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

If you're paranoid just don't put in your TFN when prompted and ask for call recording to be turned off, and stick to general questions and what ifs until you're sure.

No one in the call centres will give the slightest of shits to refer the call to higher ups unless you openly admit to planning to rip off a few hundred thousand because a) the chances of getting someone who actually cares is really low, b) they're under the pump stats wise so they really want to avoid excess work and c) if call recording is turned off they'll be more relaxed as quality assurance can't be done on the call, so they can gently caress around and be a bit looser and more frank with advice instead of rigidly sticking to script.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Etax used to look like a windows 3.11 program, glad they finally tendered out a modern design that still manages to be myshit.gov.au

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Negligent posted:

Etax used to look like a windows 3.11 program, glad they finally tendered out a modern design that still manages to be myshit.gov.au

At least eTax worked. Last year they enforced some bullshit 2FA on myThing and I wasn't able to file my taxes because I don't have an Australian mobile phone number.

I live in Canada and pay Canadian taxes so it doesn't really matter (hooray dual taxation laws), but it would still be nice to do them so my records are up to date.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australian tax returns are so easy compared to Canadian ones.

vs

I mean I know they both calculate essentially the same thing but the Canadian one is set up in a way that makes it way more complicated.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
They live off the American system of "We'll make it as complicated as possible so you people'll have to buy tax software, therefore making our anti-tax reform lobbyists that we receive millions from every year happy"

Something Australia did right: Free Tax Software

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Migishu posted:

Woah, woah, hey.... hey.

Don't say that sort of thing out loud.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Migishu posted:

They live off the American system of "We'll make it as complicated as possible so you people'll have to buy tax software, therefore making our anti-tax reform lobbyists that we receive millions from every year happy"

Even though I was a kid who grew up always reading the game box and playing rules lawyer, and now as an adult I work with spreadsheets every day, US taxes still make my brain shut off and make me want to curl up into an anxious fetal position and cry.

There's no need or excuse to have such a complicated system that transparently rewards people rich enough to invest in professional min-maxers.

Although I hate the idea of a flat tax because it's so regressive, I have a great deal of sympathy for Americans who embrace the idea out of baffled desperation.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

HookShot posted:

Australian tax returns are so easy compared to Canadian ones.

Well the top one is a FBT Return which is different from an individual income tax return and... eh I'll shutup now

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shunkymonky posted:

Well the top one is a FBT Return which is different from an individual income tax return and... eh I'll shutup now

I don't even know what that means and it still looks easier than the Canadian one.

I always filed online in Australia so didn't know what the forms looked like. I actually find it easier to file paper in Canada, because I'm apparently awful at technology

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Using eTax is and has always been trivial for people with simple tax situations and everyone should be able to use it. I've still got 3 people who pay me in bottles of scotch because they can't work out how to fill in the thing with their 1 group certificate and no other paperwork.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
ISIS Club eh...

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
If you can stand waiting for five years (that's the window they have on capital gains income) paranoid the tax man is coming for you, then don't lodge.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Ahh Yes posted:

If you can stand waiting for five years (that's the window they have on capital gains income) paranoid the tax man is coming for you, then don't lodge.

Having a maximum window for pursuing you seems problematic in a self-reporting system.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There is no maximum window for the ATO to investigate if they suspect you're doing something dodgy.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Had to check this wasn't a from parody site before posting:

Bob Katter to spearhead attempt to overturn ban on rapid-action shotgun

Queensland independent MP Bob Katter is seeking to overturn a temporary federal government ban on the import of a new rapid-action shotgun and says he is so worried about the erosion of Australians’ ability to own firearms he bought a bow and arrow.

But Labor is demanding the Coalition broaden the ban, put in place while federal and state governments review Australia’s post-Port Arthur gun laws.

The main importer of the Adler 110, which the Coalition has banned for one year, was Katter’s son-in-law Robert Noia.

Katter said he had always been “philosophically pro-gun” and was “not going to be intimidated out of doing something just because [Noia] and I are related.”

more:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/12/bob-katter-to-spearhead-attempt-to-overturn-ban-on-rapid-action-shotgun

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

7000 orders for an $800 gun. Cripes I should get into gun importing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

File away for 'good ideas we should take up'

Protester hoses political party HQ with slurry
A protester is caught on CCTV spraying three tonnes of liquid excrement on the doorstep of a political party in the Moldovan capital Chisinau.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

iajanus posted:

Using eTax is and has always been trivial for people with simple tax situations and everyone should be able to use it. I've still got 3 people who pay me in bottles of scotch because they can't work out how to fill in the thing with their 1 group certificate and no other paperwork.

And lodging through myGov is even easier. Once you get into myGov, that is. Its like the large-type picture book version.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUhDHu1NdTg

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I actually had to use e-tax this year because every single link on mygov gave me a 404. This was about a week after the EOFY though and I think they fixed it after a bunch of people complained.

It's probably a good thing that they released a more streamlined program than etax though, just because there's a lot of people out there who only need to enter their PAYG info and maybe one or two deductions and that's it. The rest of the process is just clicking the no button endlessly because you're not a senior expat farmer with 8 dependent children, a bunch of investments and on a benefit scheme for forestry workers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I actually had to use e-tax this year because every single link on mygov gave me a 404. This was about a week after the EOFY though and I think they fixed it after a bunch of people complained.

It's probably a good thing that they released a more streamlined program than etax though, just because there's a lot of people out there who only need to enter their PAYG info and maybe one or two deductions and that's it. The rest of the process is just clicking the no button endlessly because you're not a senior expat farmer with 8 dependent children, a bunch of investments and on a benefit scheme for forestry workers.

does the lovely online one autopopulate? e-tax is pretty easy to use i find it's just long, because you have to go through so much but the auto populate feature is very handy.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Baffles me how people can be so patriotic about their country. I really don't give a gently caress about nationalism.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Baffles me how people can be so patriotic about their country. I really don't give a gently caress about nationalism.

This has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with hate and fear.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Beetphyxious posted:

does the lovely online one autopopulate? e-tax is pretty easy to use i find it's just long, because you have to go through so much but the auto populate feature is very handy.

Yes, it does.

If anyone wants to relive a time when things were terrible in a different way, the Museum of Australian Democracy will be live tweeting a reenactment of the Dismissal over the next few weeks. This is your chance to find out what John Kerr would say in 140 characters I guess?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Gorbash posted:

Yes, it does.

If anyone wants to relive a time when things were terrible in a different way, the Museum of Australian Democracy will be live tweeting a reenactment of the Dismissal over the next few weeks. This is your chance to find out what John Kerr would say in 140 characters I guess?

Got mine, gently caress you,

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How does one fifteen year old cause massive political change? The one trick that every teen should know.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-13/nsw-government-calls-for-tougher-counter-terrorism-measures/6848582

quote:

George Brandis flags tougher controls on teenage terror suspects as NSW pushes for tougher laws By political reporter Stephanie Anderson, staff Updated about an hour ago

Attorney-General George Brandis has said he is comfortable with restricting the movements of terrorism suspects as young as 14 under counter-terror laws to be tabled next month.

The NSW Government has written to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull criticising existing anti-terrorism laws as inadequate and calling for them to be strengthened. Senator Brandis told the ABC he was comfortable with the proposed laws — to be introduced in three to four weeks — saying Islamic State militants were reaching out to younger people in Australia. "Fourteen is not too young an age for an order of this kind to be made," he said. "Under the legislation, there will be particular protections and safeguards for minors in the 14 to 17 age category. There will be various measures that will limit the capacity of police to question or deal with minors in a way which is regarded — given the age of the person — to be unreasonable."

Premier Mike Baird has also requested federal changes to extend the length of time terrorism suspects can be kept in custody for questioning. Under current federal laws, a terrorism suspect can be kept in custody for up to four hours before a court application needs to be made to extend the detention period to up to eight days. The NSW Government wants that changed so suspects could be held for up to four days, with a court able to extend the detention period to 28 days. It also wants courts to be given more power to withhold sensitive information from terrorism suspects.

Senator Brandis said there was no legal impediment for the NSW Government to introduce its own laws extending the detention period, but said it may be unconstitutional for the Commonwealth to do so. "Detention without charge could be seen, for an unreasonably long period, to be a form of executive detention and therefore in violation of Chapter Three of the Constitution," he said. Deputy NSW Premier Troy Grant said the fatal shooting of a police accountant outside NSW Police headquarters in Parramatta earlier this month highlighted the need for change. "Clearly the events of Parramatta have demonstrated to the whole country that 14 is the appropriate age that police need to have these [control order] powers to protect the community," he said. "We'll continue to work with the Federal Government in other aspects of the legislation to give police more capacity to question and gather evidence from suspects than they are currently allowed to under the Commonwealth legislation."

Opposition frontbencher Richard Marles said Labor would work with the Government on the laws but stopped short of committing support. Mr Marles said the issue "transcends politics" in the wake of the fatal Parramatta shooting. "As events of these kinds occur, it's important that the law keeps pace with them," he said. "We will listen to what the Government has to say, we want to get briefings ... we actually need to see what's being proposed here by the Government."

New laws 'a breach of human rights'

The NSW Council for Civil Liberties said existing laws were adequate and the proposed changes would be excessive. "The proposed laws are undoubtedly going to be in breach of human rights standards," council president Stephen Blanks said. "The idea of detaining 14-year-old children for questioning without charge, and secretly for long periods of time, should be obviously unacceptable to the whole community."

Deakin University anti-terrorism expert Professor Greg Barton said control orders that limited movement and associations could prove useful. "I think the control order, even for children as young as 14, with proper checks and balances and limits, may well be a productive thing because it's a way of protecting them from malign influence," he said.

Called it. Get your radicalisation program from the nearest authoritarian stooge! Free to the under sixteens! No mention of controlling hand guns better, no mention of existing laws already being over the top and unnecessary, as well as ineffective. Some people are mentioning the enormous resource cost in monitoring control orders but don't expect that to feature in any debate about giving more powers to our fascist bully boys. I really hope that I'm not alone in thinking that we have, as a society, shown we are utterly incapable of looking after the interests of vulnerable young people. To authorise these fools to be in sole control of a fourteen year old with out access to representation for eight days? There aren't words.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-12/18-year-old-held-since-sydney-terror-raids-remains-custody/6847922

quote:

Parramatta shooting: 18yo arrested over Sydney terror raids held for further 68 hours By Jessica Kidd Updated about 4 hours ago

Federal police have won a court application to keep a young man arrested in counter-terrorism raids in Sydney last week in custody for another 68 hours. The 18-year-old has been held in custody without charge since Wednesday morning when he was arrested during a series of counter-terrorism raids across western Sydney. He was one of four young men, aged between 16 and 22, who were arrested in connection with the execution-style shooting of police accountant Curtis Cheng outside the New South Wales Police headquarters in Parramatta on October 2. Three of the men were released without charge the same day.

But the Australian Federal Police (AFP) successfully applied to keep the 18-year-old in custody for a further 100 hours last Thursday. On Monday, they were granted an additional 68 hours to interview the teenager by a Sydney court. In a statement, an AFP spokesperson confirmed an additional period of 68 hours of "specified time" was granted by a NSW District Court magistrate. "The AFP must satisfy the judicial officer before whom the application is made that this specified time is reasonable and necessary," the statement read. "The legislation dictates that additional specified time of detention must not exceed seven days in total."

The man's lawyer, Hisham Karnib, opposed the application to keep his client in detention without charge. Outside the court, he told the ABC his client was doing "as well as could be expected". Mr Karnib also said that due to national security reasons he could not access the documents that the AFP used to make its application to the court. The 18-year-old can now be held without charge until early Thursday afternoon. The AFP cannot legally keep him in detention after that period unless they charge him with an offence.

This, but with a fourteen year old. They must be some pretty tricky questions requiring lots of working out because even HSC exams only go for three hours. Also shame on the ABC for calling them 'Terror Raids'. They were actually counter-terror raids although judging by their likely effects on their victims terror raids is strangely appropriate.

:rip: Your rights, unless of course you're a white right wing nut job with a hand gun!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Elissimpark posted:

And lodging through myGov is even easier. Once you get into myGov, that is. Its like the large-type picture book version.

Although god help you if you've registered another government service (eg medicare, centrelink) on mygov with a variation of your name. MyGov doesn't handle identity management well at all, which is something of a missed opportunity.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorbash posted:

Yes, it does.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

freebooter posted:

Oh, to be clear, I'm back in Australia now. I'm just wary about actually inquiring with them because I don't want to... tip them off, I guess? I dunno, maybe I'm just wary after hearing years of horror stories about Americans confronted by the IRS expecting them to pay back tax even though they've been overseas for years and years.

But I'll ring them up and check tomorrow. I think it should probably be OK because UK tax is, IIRC, higher than Aussie tax. But even though I'm in my late 20s now I still regard a tax return as something I vaguely click through after several beers, so it's weird to think about it as something complicated which might get me in trouble.

Note it's not usually the tax returns that get people, it's the report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR). If at any time during the year your total balance in foreign bank accounts you have access to exceeds $10,000, you're required to file an FBAR. I'm always on top of US tax stuff, and even I had no clue what the FBAR was until we'd lived here for years. Luckily we were poor enough during those years that our balance never exceeded the threshold.

The tax returns usually aren't a problem, because as mentioned above, the tax treaty with the US and the fact the AU tax rate is higher virtually guarantees the average person will never pay US taxes when living in Oz. That's not even including the $90k+ tax free threshold. But the FBAR stuff is different. The fines are ridiculously high and there's no amnesty, so you'll get people with 20k in a bank account getting hit with fines excedding the entire account balance. It's almost always because they were like me and had never even heard of the FBAR, and so when they first file an FBAR after living overseas for XX years, the IRS comes back, demands account balances for every year in the past, then issues massive fines for each year they didn't file. It's so ludicrous you can end up getting huge fines for accounts that aren't even in your name. Say you get married and your spouse has a large bank balance. If at any time you have access to those accounts, then you are required to report them too.
Here's the page for FBAR filing, at least it's all electronic now: http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/main.html

Here's a good article about the fines:
http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/01/pf/taxes/irs-penalties/
In short, you could get hit with a $600K fine for not reporting a $20K balance. $100K fine for max 6 years, absolutely insane. Non-willful is still a crazy high $10K per year. The IRS did recently change the guidance on the fines, so the max now should only be 50% of your highest balance account. Still totally over the top for something where you're not actually breaking any tax laws, just not reporting the balance.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Being Australian gave me street cred at a neo-Nazi rally in Germany

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

HookShot posted:

I don't even know what that means and it still looks easier than the Canadian one.

I always filed online in Australia so didn't know what the forms looked like. I actually find it easier to file paper in Canada, because I'm apparently awful at technology

The forms actually have a very similar colouring and spacing, so much so that when I looked at I thought what the gently caress kind of hellish photoshop had been done to an Australian tax return.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

There is no maximum window for the ATO to investigate if they suspect you're doing something dodgy.

He's a little bit right. The ATO has a limit on how long they can audit lodged tax returns, and likewise people have a limit on how long they can amend their own tax returns. For people with simple tax affairs it's two years. For more complex returns it's five, which is why they say keep records for five years. But given that people can ask to have their returns amended beyond the two year/five year limits through a special mechanism I'm sure there's a mechanism for the ATO to go after uncovered tax evasion schemes.

Cartoon posted:

:rip: Your rights, unless of course you're a white right wing nut job with a hand gun!

If you feel like slitting your wrists a little,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7jxfxjphk

JBark posted:

Note it's not usually the tax returns that get people, it's the report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

Thanks, this is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Had to check this wasn't a from parody site before posting:

Bob Katter to spearhead attempt to overturn ban on rapid-action shotgun

Queensland independent MP Bob Katter is seeking to overturn a temporary federal government ban on the import of a new rapid-action shotgun and says he is so worried about the erosion of Australians’ ability to own firearms he bought a bow and arrow.

But Labor is demanding the Coalition broaden the ban, put in place while federal and state governments review Australia’s post-Port Arthur gun laws.

The main importer of the Adler 110, which the Coalition has banned for one year, was Katter’s son-in-law Robert Noia.

Katter said he had always been “philosophically pro-gun” and was “not going to be intimidated out of doing something just because [Noia] and I are related.”

more:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/12/bob-katter-to-spearhead-attempt-to-overturn-ban-on-rapid-action-shotgun

That really needs to be shouted from the rooftops regarding this. In fact, forcing him to not be able to vote on / lobby on the issue because of conflict of interest would be even better.

• Locked thread