Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry, that's the extent of the easy throwing up problems. Hope your vet has better luck diagnosing your cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

asiperi posted:

My littler cat is sick, please tell me things are going to be okay. She's throwing up every meal (and making awful crying sounds). Taking her into the vet first thing tomorrow. It's happened once before and they just never figured out what it was -- some appetite pills and anti-nausea injections seemed to do the trick, and nothing wrong showed up on the x-ray. Anyone else have this and figure out what this was? She's a 1-1.5 year old stray turned indoor cat.

Could she be getting sick from eating or licking something? I think someone said earlier in this thread that their cat was getting sick due by licking the bottles of cleaning products.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've had one of my cats get sick from eating a houseplant that I had thought 100% was out of their reach. I was just about to call the vet when I noticed the nibbles taken out of the plant. So checking to see if there's anything the cat might have gotten into is definitely a thing to do.

I've also had a cat that got cat flu (!!!) which I didn't even know was a thing. That one was a total mystery to me, because I still to this day can't figure out why only one of my 3 indoor-only cats got it. The vet just gave her some antibiotics and anti-nausea meds and she perked up again, and was back to normal in a few days.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Our cat's an indoor-outdoor cat, and this afternoon when she came in I noticed that her brow above her right eye appeared swollen. It gave her a look sort of like

and while I'm concerned about it, the cat appears to not be in that much pain. She's not pissed off at everyone or hyper-cranky or anything like that, but she does seem to want to be left alone moreso than usual. Her right eye appears a little watery- clear watery, not milky- and when the area was daubed with a bit of moistened cotton to clear it, a minute amount of brownish phlegm-like stuff came off onto the cotton. There's no blood or visible scratches on her skin around the eye, and the eye itself appears to be alright from what of it I can see.

I'm not sure what to do or how urgent to be about it. My first inclination is to wait it out and see how it turns out tomorrow, and possibly visit the local vet on Friday (they're open then, that's been checked already) or Saturday if the eye doesn't seem to be recovering quickly.

So it's been a bit over a year since I posted this and I figured it's time to actually follow up on that. Turns out, our cat got an infection, possibly from a fight or maybe thorns or ???, and when we took her to the vet they didn't dare lance that infection or anything, since it was way too close to our cat's eye. So instead, we were basically told to let the infection go away on its own.

Of course, the cat wouldn't have any of that, and instead she started scratching at the infection enough that she tore off some of the skin on her brow. We took her to the vet again, got the area cleaned up (she'd lanced the infection herself anyways, basically) and gave her The Cone to wear until her head healed up.

That whole chain events has long since come and gone, but she did get a scar out of the whole mess:

Anyways I wanted to just post something here again, and actually post a picture of my good sweet little cat finally.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey goons. I'm moving in around 10 weeks time along with my cat ( ~2 year old rescued black domestic shorthaired)

The main issue is that while she is a totally chilled, completely normal and friendly cat, she absolutely hates her carrier with a terrible passion, and I'm genuinely worried how she is going to go in a long car trip (around 10 hours drive)

So far I've been preparing her for getting more acclimatised to the carrier by feeding her in it, making sure to pet her heaps when she is chilling there, and by placing a feliway pheromone thing in the same room to make her more relaxed around it. I have been sparingly closing up the carrier when she is in it, but not so much that she will get terrified of it.

Last time she was in the carrier she hid for almost 24 hours with no purring, and was a terrifying ball of claws getting her into it.

Anyone have any advice for me to get this as smooth as possible?

In answer to the OP list:

- Age ~2 (rescue cat of unsure age)
- Sex - Female
- How long have you had your cat? - 14 months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? -yes
- What food do you use? science diet adult
- When was your last vet visit? - 2 weeks ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? - indoors
- How many pets in your household? - just her
- How many litter boxes do you have? - one

Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like you've got everything you can do, except basically getting the biggest carrier you can. How're you moving?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Sounds like you've got everything you can do, except basically getting the biggest carrier you can. How're you moving?

In a small car, which will conservatively take around 10 hours, possibly less. Every time she has travelled, she has hated it, although whether this is due to being in an unfamiliar enclosed space in a moving vehicle, or because she mainly associates travelling to places with strange people who shove things up her bum I'm not sure.

Either way, I'd like to get the more acclimatised to the carrier and the car before I have to move.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
When I moved across country I just asked my vet for something and they prescribed some anti-anxiety meds for my kitties! Worked like a charm.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I have the world's only claustrophobic cat (he hates not just his carrier but also boxes of any sort, even shallow shoe boxes and things like that. cat is broken) but he's never held it against me when he's been shoved in there, he just meows piteously and then is extremely relieved when I finally let him out of the box. Attempts to "acclimatise" him were completely unsuccessful: he's generally very food motivated but he will not under any circumstances voluntarily go into a box. So I can't help with that aspect, but for getting him into the carrier, one vet showed me a really great trick: put the carrier on a couch or table or something so that the opening is hanging out over the air. The cat will scramble a bit and then realise that the only place to go is into the carrier. Doesn't sound like it should work, but hey, cats.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 9, 2015

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

toe knee hand posted:

So I can't help with that aspect, but for getting him into the carrier, one vet showed me a really great trick: put the carrier on a couch or table or something so that the opening is hanging out over the air. The cat will scramble a bit and then realise that the only place to go is into the carrier. Doesn't sound like it should work, but hey, cats.

Is the idea that the cat prefers to go in the carrier than fall to the ground? Because yeah, that doesn't sound like it should work.

One tip I've been given (by partners sister, a vet) was to turn the carrier on it's end, then hold their hind legs together as you put them in. The idea is that by the time they can move their legs they are already inside. I'm gonna try that next time

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zenithe posted:

In a small car, which will conservatively take around 10 hours, possibly less. Every time she has travelled, she has hated it, although whether this is due to being in an unfamiliar enclosed space in a moving vehicle, or because she mainly associates travelling to places with strange people who shove things up her bum I'm not sure.

Either way, I'd like to get the more acclimatised to the carrier and the car before I have to move.

There's feliway in spray form, which you could try on your car and carrier. The anti-anxiety meds sounds like a good idea, though you'll need to pay close attention to how your cat responds to it.

E: to put a cat in a carrier, try making a burrito and dropping that in the carrier. After that, wrap your cat in a towel and put them in the carrier.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

This is a good cat.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Zenithe posted:

Hey goons. I'm moving in around 10 weeks time along with my cat ( ~2 year old rescued black domestic shorthaired)

The main issue is that while she is a totally chilled, completely normal and friendly cat, she absolutely hates her carrier with a terrible passion, and I'm genuinely worried how she is going to go in a long car trip (around 10 hours drive)

So far I've been preparing her for getting more acclimatised to the carrier by feeding her in it, making sure to pet her heaps when she is chilling there, and by placing a feliway pheromone thing in the same room to make her more relaxed around it. I have been sparingly closing up the carrier when she is in it, but not so much that she will get terrified of it.

Last time she was in the carrier she hid for almost 24 hours with no purring, and was a terrifying ball of claws getting her into it.

Anyone have any advice for me to get this as smooth as possible?

In answer to the OP list:

- Age ~2 (rescue cat of unsure age)
- Sex - Female
- How long have you had your cat? - 14 months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? -yes
- What food do you use? science diet adult
- When was your last vet visit? - 2 weeks ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? - indoors
- How many pets in your household? - just her
- How many litter boxes do you have? - one

Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere

That should be quite ok... My wife and I moved 2 adult cats and 2 kittens in a VW PAssat, all the way from Scotland to Denmark, took us 24 hours with them in 3 carrier boxes.

We took a lot of breaks on the way, and they were fine, nothing to worry about, just make sure you take some breaks from driving and let them out in the car if possible.

The only annoying thing was 4 cats meowing constantly the first 5 hours until we hit France...

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
We are picking up our second cat tomorrow! Is there anything we should be thinking about? We already have a second litterbox and food dish that we can keep in the bedroom until we know that they get along. We are bringing a blanket that our older cat has been on so that the kitten can get used to the smell. My older cat is about 6 months and both of them have lived with cats that aren't their mothers so we are pretty optimistic that they will at least tolerate each other fairly quickly.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Since I have been feeding Tucker more wet food (grain free, and non-common meats like duck, buffalo, and rabbit) he is a bit less scratchy, and his ears have cleared up.

I don't know if I posted earlier, but Tucker was suffering from a huge earwax buildup possibly caused by a food allergy. Tucker has also lost a little weight, and I can feel his ribs again.

Tucker the large fluffball doofus aka Twinkie aka Pookie.

http://imgur.com/a/P68kK

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Cat introductions update: Starting over, again. Going even slower this time. I just want the hissing when they see each other to stop cause I think it's stressing both of them out.

This is mostly your fault.

But you are not helping by digging up the carpet, and squeezing through the pet gate.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

KariOhki posted:

Cat introductions update: Starting over, again. Going even slower this time. I just want the hissing when they see each other to stop cause I think it's stressing both of them out.

This is mostly your fault.

But you are not helping by digging up the carpet, and squeezing through the pet gate.

To be fair I'd hiss at a pirate, too.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

spatula posted:

When I moved across country I just asked my vet for something and they prescribed some anti-anxiety meds for my kitties! Worked like a charm.

This is the best idea. I moved across country hauling a trailer so it took 35-ish hours and the cat pretty much slept the entire time. Normally she cries and makes pitiful noises in her carrier so I was dreading that but the drugs kept her zonked the whole way. I also used some of that feliway spray in her carrier and she started regarding her carrier as a preferable hidey hole to the confusing chaos of moving.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

One of my cats went in for a tooth extraction last week. Took it like a champ, no problems there. She's been having small cases of diarrhea outside the box for the past two days, ever since the pain pill doses ended. This didn't happen after her tooth extraction last year. She's going back to the vet Monday and I've been keeping an eye on her in the meantime. Mystery diarrhea is troubling.

You've already cost me a month's rent, Pixel.

Vestral
Dec 30, 2008
I adopted my first cat two weeks ago, and I love her. I'm constantly worried I have no idea what I'm doing but we're working it all out together. My only issue with her is she's so NOISY! Are some cats just naturally very talkative? She shouts at me like she's desperately hurt or hungry when I figure all she wants is some attention. She also coos like a pigeon when she wanders around or like an 'oomp' when she jumps onto the ground. Having little experience with cats (the family cat growing up was a grumpy old man who kept to himself) its a little unsettling, but I think it's entirely normal?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vestral posted:

I adopted my first cat two weeks ago, and I love her. I'm constantly worried I have no idea what I'm doing but we're working it all out together. My only issue with her is she's so NOISY! Are some cats just naturally very talkative? She shouts at me like she's desperately hurt or hungry when I figure all she wants is some attention. She also coos like a pigeon when she wanders around or like an 'oomp' when she jumps onto the ground. Having little experience with cats (the family cat growing up was a grumpy old man who kept to himself) its a little unsettling, but I think it's entirely normal?

Some cats just make a lot of noise. I've had a cat a lot like yours, constantly meowing loudly, making noises when jumping, etc, and others that were mostly quiet, unless you were feeding them or they needed help opening a door or something. So yeah, it sounds perfectly normal to me. Apparently cats don't make much noise at each other (unless angry/scared), but learn to do it to get responses from humans, so I guess some cats just want a lot of extra attention.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Vestral posted:

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My cat is super chatty and meowed basically all the time when we lived alone. She's a bit quieter now that we live with my boyfriend and his cats, but still chats a lot. One of his cats meows fairly regularly when he is being annoying and knocking things over, and his other cat only meows late at night while she carries socks around. Cats.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Vestral posted:

She shouts at me like she's desperately hurt or hungry when I figure all she wants is some attention. She also coos like a pigeon when she wanders around or like an 'oomp' when she jumps onto the ground.

One of mine screams a lot, also makes that landing sound. Screaming means he's bored, hungry, didn't want to get picked up, awake, wants to go downstairs, etc. Another does more conventional miaows, but also has this petulant-sounding "myah" when he suddenly remembers I exist and he wants pets. There's a similar but different noise reserved for when he wanders off.

Talkative cats best cats.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Okay this is a weird question but the internet is not helping -- can fleas live at altitudes of 8500' or so? The internet seems to say no, buuuuut Kiska suddenly just started licking herself in a strange way, like she runs around and then stops like something's bothering her and licks. She doesn't have any injury that I could see, and I'm not sure if that's how cats say "hey I have fleas." I'm trying to figure out if this is just "cat being weird" or if I'm in "vet tomorrow" territory.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tendai posted:

Okay this is a weird question but the internet is not helping -- can fleas live at altitudes of 8500' or so? The internet seems to say no, buuuuut Kiska suddenly just started licking herself in a strange way, like she runs around and then stops like something's bothering her and licks. She doesn't have any injury that I could see, and I'm not sure if that's how cats say "hey I have fleas." I'm trying to figure out if this is just "cat being weird" or if I'm in "vet tomorrow" territory.

Have you tried checking her for fleas?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Tendai posted:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It sounds like it could be fleas! Or maybe her skin is irritated by something. If you don't have a flea comb, you can use a regular comb to help push aside the hair while you look for them. Fleas are pretty good at hiding, though, so it may take a few minutes to find them if you don't have a flea comb. The base of the tail and the back of the neck/shoulder blade area are good spots to check. You may also run into some "flea dirt" which is a fancy way of saying processed blood that's now flea poop. It'll turn back into a rusty spot and disolve in water.

You should visit your vet if your cat has fleas, so she can get on heartworm medicine and flea preventative.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I just did that as best I could without a specific flea comb and didn't find anything. And she has also stopped licking and acting frantic. I don't know if she had a really bad itch or ???. I'm going to keep watching her and if she starts it again I'll call ASAP tomorrow and get an appointment, does that sound okay or should I be more "APPOINTMENT NOW" :ohdear: I always worry that I'm over or underreacting.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Tendai posted:

I just did that as best I could without a specific flea comb and didn't find anything. And she has also stopped licking and acting frantic. I don't know if she had a really bad itch or ???. I'm going to keep watching her and if she starts it again I'll call ASAP tomorrow and get an appointment, does that sound okay or should I be more "APPOINTMENT NOW" :ohdear: I always worry that I'm over or underreacting.

If it were my cat, I'd buy a flea comb (they're pretty cheap) to do a more thorough check. If fleas are found get an appointment.

If she does keep acting irritated by something even without evidence fleas I'd ask the vet for an appointment-- the cat could have developed an allergy to something.

If it's not happening regularly and there doesn't seem to be a pattern, I'd just chalk it up to "cat is a cat." Sometimes they get an itch!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's passed the gently caress out on top of my dresser right now, snoring :3: The episode was confined to just when I posted about it, but I'm going to see if the vet up here has flea combs and barring that, order one from Amazon just to be sure, even if she stays non-weird (relatively).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is she scratching a lot too or just washing herself a lot? When my cat had fleas the first thing I noticed was her scratching herself all the time, not grooming a lot.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone here have experience with severe facial/neck area itching with their cats?

We have a ~7 year old Persian cross. He has been in good health for most of his life. But a few months ago he started getting really itchy in his face and neck area. So, he scratches a lot, and in many cases scabs start appearing due to the constant scratching. Then he continues scratching, so the scabs start to bleed.

We've been to our vet twice about this, and different one time. They've said that it could be food allergies, or even seasonal allergies. We've tried changing his food, but he's still a bit itchy. They'd taken a close look at the scratched/scabby areas, and said they seem to be healing. But since he scratches so much it takes forever for his skin to completely heal.

I know that we're already discussing parasites in this thread, but we've ruled out parasites since our vet failed to find any during our visit (and our second cat has no skin issues at all). Any other intelligent guesses as to what could be causing this (or what can be done to reduce the itchiness)?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

Is she scratching a lot too or just washing herself a lot? When my cat had fleas the first thing I noticed was her scratching herself all the time, not grooming a lot.
Licking, not scratching. That might have been because it was on her back haunch too, I'm not sure how she would scratch the place. It seemed like there was something just irritating her, it wasn't even the biting they do when they groom sometimes, just kind of restless and she'd stop to lick. Lasted about 10 minutes then nothing. Just normal cat for every other period of the day, sleeping normally, being normally affectionate, not shying away when you pet the area or anything.

Today she did it again, just about five minutes; both times she has been sitting in one particular window so I'm wondering if there's something on it but I have no idea how the hell that would happen, since it's closed and I'm reasonably sure I haven't been spraying chemicals on it or anything in my sleep. I wiped it down with soap and water though, made sure I didn't see anything like a spider nest/web/mass of loving spiders and so now I'm just kind of ???? about it. I thought maybe a bee sting but all the bees around here are gone since it's gotten cold, as far as I can tell.

I have to wait for my check to deposit (tomorrow) to take her into the vet but I called to get an appointment. Idiot cat :mad: You're lucky I love you, why can't you ever have normal problems like, I don't know, ear mites, instead of pissing blood or licking weirdly. Unfortunately they do not have flea combs I can buy but I ordered one on Amazon since I figure even if that's not what this is, it'll be handy to have around.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Hello catte thread.

A few weeks ago, I noticed 2 abandoned kitties hanging out near my apartment. I don't know if their mother is dead or something else but it was obvious they were on their own. Winter is coming so I decided to take care of them so they can survive through it.

After checking online what I could do to help them, I built a shelter out of a styrofoam box and blankets, putting it on my terrace with food and water.

Now they adopted this new housing and hang out there pretty much all day, but they are still very timid and wild and flee every time I try to come close to them. What I want to know is if there's anything I can do to make them more familiar with me or if it's already too late to try to make them more tame. Thanks!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

melon cat posted:

Does anyone here have experience with severe facial/neck area itching with their cats?

We have a ~7 year old Persian cross. He has been in good health for most of his life. But a few months ago he started getting really itchy in his face and neck area. So, he scratches a lot, and in many cases scabs start appearing due to the constant scratching. Then he continues scratching, so the scabs start to bleed.

We've been to our vet twice about this, and different one time. They've said that it could be food allergies, or even seasonal allergies. We've tried changing his food, but he's still a bit itchy. They'd taken a close look at the scratched/scabby areas, and said they seem to be healing. But since he scratches so much it takes forever for his skin to completely heal.

I know that we're already discussing parasites in this thread, but we've ruled out parasites since our vet failed to find any during our visit (and our second cat has no skin issues at all). Any other intelligent guesses as to what could be causing this (or what can be done to reduce the itchiness)?

IANAV but 5 mg of Zyrtec I find helps with my cat.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
Okay I'm reporting back to the cat FAQ with a couple more noob questions. No owner came forward to claim this stray I found, so I went through all the Proper Avenues and had her spayed/vetted/chipped and she is officially mine I guess.

Luna is ridiculously small and soft, and way clingier than I anticipated a stray to be. She pretty much vanishes when I'm away, but she's constantly glued to my side when I'm home, and gets distressed when I move out of her comfort zone (i.e. the bathroom she was initially staying in or my bedroom). She will follow me for a few paces, sit down, and do these really pathetic mewls that make me feel like poo poo about leaving her. I've been waking up every night with her weightless loving sack of bones body sprawled over my stomach, and sometimes she'll do this weird thing where she'll knead my blanket, pillow, lap, shirt, etc while suckling the fabric. She's meticulously grooming the hair of my forearm as I type this. A friend of mine says that's not an uncommon behavior for kittens who were weaned/separated from their litters too early and that I'm just gotta deal with being surrogate cat mom. I shouldn't be worried, right? Like, I'd assume it's something she'd eventually grow out of. (From what I can tell, she doesn't seem fully grown anyway.)

Best case scenario would be that she eventually tolerates my other cat enough to seek his company. For now he's kind of getting a raw deal - I might be misreading his behavior, but it comes off as more playful than territorial (swatting at her tail, making chirping sounds, rolling on his back, all the stuff he does while tussling with the family dog) and she isn't a fan. It's almost feels like she's "claimed" me - like my other cat will amble up to collect pets from me or something, Luna will hiss from my lap, and he'll just gently caress off. They're okay with eating food near each other, but are reluctant to play with toys that smell like the other, etc. Then again it's been only a few days since Luna came home, so maybe the answer is "give it time"?

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER
Odessa, one of my live-in idiots, has a habit of immediately eating any plastic bag that she can reach. The latest one had some melatonin pills in it, and I think she gave one a lick. All the pills were untouched and accounted for except for one that was a little wet. I found a little foam spit on the floor which means she decided it was gross, but I Googled it and apparently people give their cats melatonin for stress? The dosage for humans and cats is different, but I don't know what one lick equals. She's acting perfectly normally, but I'm worried. Does anyone have experience giving their cats melatonin who can tell me what a cat-sized dose equals?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

gandhichan posted:

Then again it's been only a few days since Luna came home, so maybe the answer is "give it time"?

Aww, little cat. You can try petting both at once, if you can get them both to stay still. Also, maybe treats for both while they're near each other will help? Could try Feliway.

These have all helped at least somewhat with my tiny girl cat and her giant oaf of a brother, who bullies her, and the extremely playful new cat, who scared her at first.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've written about my summer-spanning battle to get my cat to stop peeing in the foyer, and I think I've lost. b two cats, a 15 year old female (Missy) and 14 year old male (Bobo). This summer Bobo had a brush with diabetes, one of the symptoms of which was peeing in the foyer, an L-shaped area about 18 square feet. We gave him insulin and orbifloxacin for a possible UTI, and he stopped. A bit more than a month later, we were told we could stop with the insulin, and he started peeing there again. Follow-up appointments and a bladder culture revealed no problems.

Removing a shoe tray that he seemed to favor just got him used to peeing on the carpet. Laying down plastic got him to go on the plastic. Feliway didn't work. It's a puddle, not a spray, which suggests Missy, but we've caught Bobo going there so we know it's him. Repellents and citrus smells either don't work, or have to be applied every few hours.

For most of the cats' life, they shared a single litter box in the basement, but I got a second one before the diabetes became a thing. Many sources suggest that stress is a source of these problems, and getting jabbed with needles twice a day and having their diet changed certainly provides a lot of that. However, other than the toilet problem, their behavior is about the same. He's always been a friendly cat and still is. He still uses the litter boxes downstairs, but now he'll use the foyer if it's convenient. I can't block access to that area due to the way our house is set up unless I lock him in the basement. Down there, there's a tv room, a bathroom, and the laundry room. And since the laundry room is the only place dad will allow their food and litter boxes, I'd also have to lock Missy in the basement. Missy has never liked Bobo, so that's a bad idea. The three litter boxes we have now are about as far apart as they can get.

Dad won't let me put a litter box in the problem area. At the beginning of August, well over a month into the resurgence, we went on a short family vacation, and I was given an ultimatum to come up with "a solution" because he didn't want the cats having the run of the house. I actually managed to let me him to put a litter box, but only because I could cite the advice of my late mom's bff who also had a diabetic cat, and I still had to endure some yelling. My sister stayed home for her own reasons and cleaned it. Bobo used the box just fine. But it was a smelly eyesore so Dad made me move it to the basement two weeks later, and Bobo went right back to peeing on the carpet. Now there are three litter boxes down there. I clean them whenever I notice something in them.

All I've been able to do is clean up after the incidents I've been using an enzymatic cleaner on the carpet, but it's been a bandaid. I dab up the urine, soak it for a few minutes with the cleaner, and then soak that up a lot of paper towels until it's dry. Bobo will go to a slightly different area of the carpet and pee there. My sense of smell is shot, so I just get brief whiffs of I-can't-tell-what-anymore. There aren't any stains, but people still comment on the smell. I've gone over the area with a blacklight and haven't been able to get rid of the smell. After cleaning the few odd particles of litter tossed out of the litter box when it was in the foyer, the air from the vacuum's outtake now smells like stale cat urine.

Before Bobo's troubles, there were some incidents where Missy peed in dad's room after being accidentally closed in when he left for work, and Dad never liked the cats in the first place, so he was ready to be rid of them when Bobo got sick. I had been saving money from a temp job, and my sister who was at home was broke, so I paid for all the medical expenses. When Bobo started peeing in the foyer again, I naively thought getting him to stop would be as quick as it was when I first gave him insulin, and I promised to take care of it. So now I share the blame for every spot of urine, vomit, hair, or glimpse of a cat sitting on the furniture. With my mom's death a year and a half ago and my youngest sister moving away yesterday, the family cats are now my cats. It had been a few days without incident, but Bobo peed in the corner, dad found it, and I had another round of lectures, cursing, and vague ultimatums. Suggesting the litterbox again today just made him angrier. It's been three months of that on top of our already lovely relationship, and I'd have moved out if I hadn't decimated my savings on the cat.

So how do I fix this and what the hell do I tell my dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dr Christmas posted:

I've written about my summer-spanning battle to get my cat to stop peeing in the foyer, and I think I've lost. b two cats, a 15 year old female (Missy) and 14 year old male (Bobo). This summer Bobo had a brush with diabetes, one of the symptoms of which was peeing in the foyer, an L-shaped area about 18 square feet. We gave him insulin and orbifloxacin for a possible UTI, and he stopped. A bit more than a month later, we were told we could stop with the insulin, and he started peeing there again. Follow-up appointments and a bladder culture revealed no problems.

Removing a shoe tray that he seemed to favor just got him used to peeing on the carpet. Laying down plastic got him to go on the plastic. Feliway didn't work. It's a puddle, not a spray, which suggests Missy, but we've caught Bobo going there so we know it's him. Repellents and citrus smells either don't work, or have to be applied every few hours.

For most of the cats' life, they shared a single litter box in the basement, but I got a second one before the diabetes became a thing. Many sources suggest that stress is a source of these problems, and getting jabbed with needles twice a day and having their diet changed certainly provides a lot of that. However, other than the toilet problem, their behavior is about the same. He's always been a friendly cat and still is. He still uses the litter boxes downstairs, but now he'll use the foyer if it's convenient. I can't block access to that area due to the way our house is set up unless I lock him in the basement. Down there, there's a tv room, a bathroom, and the laundry room. And since the laundry room is the only place dad will allow their food and litter boxes, I'd also have to lock Missy in the basement. Missy has never liked Bobo, so that's a bad idea. The three litter boxes we have now are about as far apart as they can get.

Dad won't let me put a litter box in the problem area. At the beginning of August, well over a month into the resurgence, we went on a short family vacation, and I was given an ultimatum to come up with "a solution" because he didn't want the cats having the run of the house. I actually managed to let me him to put a litter box, but only because I could cite the advice of my late mom's bff who also had a diabetic cat, and I still had to endure some yelling. My sister stayed home for her own reasons and cleaned it. Bobo used the box just fine. But it was a smelly eyesore so Dad made me move it to the basement two weeks later, and Bobo went right back to peeing on the carpet. Now there are three litter boxes down there. I clean them whenever I notice something in them.

All I've been able to do is clean up after the incidents I've been using an enzymatic cleaner on the carpet, but it's been a bandaid. I dab up the urine, soak it for a few minutes with the cleaner, and then soak that up a lot of paper towels until it's dry. Bobo will go to a slightly different area of the carpet and pee there. My sense of smell is shot, so I just get brief whiffs of I-can't-tell-what-anymore. There aren't any stains, but people still comment on the smell. I've gone over the area with a blacklight and haven't been able to get rid of the smell. After cleaning the few odd particles of litter tossed out of the litter box when it was in the foyer, the air from the vacuum's outtake now smells like stale cat urine.

Before Bobo's troubles, there were some incidents where Missy peed in dad's room after being accidentally closed in when he left for work, and Dad never liked the cats in the first place, so he was ready to be rid of them when Bobo got sick. I had been saving money from a temp job, and my sister who was at home was broke, so I paid for all the medical expenses. When Bobo started peeing in the foyer again, I naively thought getting him to stop would be as quick as it was when I first gave him insulin, and I promised to take care of it. So now I share the blame for every spot of urine, vomit, hair, or glimpse of a cat sitting on the furniture. With my mom's death a year and a half ago and my youngest sister moving away yesterday, the family cats are now my cats. It had been a few days without incident, but Bobo peed in the corner, dad found it, and I had another round of lectures, cursing, and vague ultimatums. Suggesting the litterbox again today just made him angrier. It's been three months of that on top of our already lovely relationship, and I'd have moved out if I hadn't decimated my savings on the cat.

So how do I fix this and what the hell do I tell my dad?
Sounds like putting the litterbox would be the only real best fix for this, honestly. If the litterbox smelled, it really needs to be cleaned daily, and you'd probably want to use unscented clay litter. You could try getting or building an enclosure for it so it's less of an eyesore and maybe to control the smell a bit(again, daily cleaning and unscented litter are pretty much required for "litter that doesn't smell"). Otherwise, the other solution would be to quarantine off the cats to a specific part of the house, like the basement.

Other than that, you need to get or rent a steam cleaner to f'real clean the carpet down and through the padding; your comment about "people still comment on the smell" is a pretty bad sign about the state of things. For your vacuum smelling like stale cat urine, change the bag and filters.

I can't really help out much else on "what to tell your dad"; it's his house(probably), and having parts of your home smell like cat pee really sucks when you're not the one who gives a poo poo about cats in the first place. I'd really really recommend doing the steam cleaning if you want to try to improve your relations with him, but I don't know what else to tell you, and this kinda stuff is more towards e/n territory anyway.