Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

toplitzin posted:

Wouldn't leaving it in 5th/6th transmit the least torque back to the engine, in theory holding a car better?

You've got it backwards. 1st gear is when the engine has the most advantage over the wheels (which is why we have low gears), top gear has the least.

Think about it, if you're in an overdrive gear, looking at the power flow backwards through the transmission makes that a reduction gear, making it easier for the wheels to turn the engine over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

toplitzin posted:

Wouldn't leaving it in 5th/6th transmit the least torque back to the engine, in theory holding a car better?

I'd test this theory, but I'm in KS with no hills.

No. Think about it this way:

in 1st gear, to go 5 mph, the engine has to be spinning at 500 rpm
in 6th gear, to go 5 mph, the engine has to be spinning at 20 rpm

It takes more oomph to spin an engine at 500 rpm than it does at 20 rpm

Ergo, 1st gear holds the car better than 6th.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You should always park in a gear that will result in the engine turning the normal direction if it DOES move, speaking of which. For example 1st if facing downhill, R if facing uphill. Why? If the motor is turned backwards it can un-prime the oiling system and also spin the timing set backwards. Some engines (IIRC EJ series subarus) really do not like it if the timing belt is turned the wrong direction.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They're doing the Engine Masters challenge again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmGyn3zjlc

Here is a video of someone unlikely to become the engine master.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta love the train of mystified overweight greyhairs piling into the room.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Gotta love the train of mystified overweight greyhairs piling into the room.

I love the guy pouring water, isn't that the last thing you want to do when you are dealing with the potential of gas or oil on fire?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It took them a very long and casual span of time to get around to grabbing an extinguisher.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It took them a very long and casual span of time to get around to grabbing an extinguisher.

diagnose the point of failure first, extinguish fire second.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

I too like my troubleshooting situations to also be on fire.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That looked more like an oil line coming off, or an oil filter that wasn't tighten up properly

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

You are clearly not an evidence destruction technician chimney saver basement saver firefighter.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

You should always park in a gear that will result in the engine turning the normal direction if it DOES move, speaking of which. For example 1st if facing downhill, R if facing uphill. Why? If the motor is turned backwards it can un-prime the oiling system and also spin the timing set backwards. Some engines (IIRC EJ series subarus) really do not like it if the timing belt is turned the wrong direction.

I was told to do it the other way round, as 'the engine is harder to spin the wrong way'. I never really thought about it because I drive auto but is there any truth behind it?

One quarter turn of the engine before it caches isn't going to cause a major oiling gently caress up, and I can't see an issue with running the timing gear backwards. Once you get up to two or three complete turns then you may have these problems but by then your car is probably running away down a hill so...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Anything with VVT isn't going to go backwards well.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
This is a short clip of a Lambo catching fire in traffic.

http://i.imgur.com/rE9KrP1.webm

Apparently things did not get better but flames mean faster right?

http://i.imgur.com/6OXqiuV.gifv

edit: fffth fuckin' repost

tobu fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 8, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's exactly the same one that was posted twice above.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

I had a TJ with a lovely parking brake roll back about 50ft, turning the 4.0 backward who knows how many revolutions.

Fired right up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I had a TJ with a lovely parking brake roll back about 50ft, turning the 4.0 backward who knows how many revolutions.

Fired right up.

I've had engines run on backwards. Both OHV and OHC. They ran afterward too. Genuinely surprised with the OHC. Would have half expected it to do something horrible to the chain or guides at very least.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Fired right up.

You probably could've push started that fucker in reverse.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
25cc of four stroke fury with RACE INSPIRED engine design.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Guy in front of him is taking pics/video with a selfie stick, guy in the carfire throws the horns in response. :laugh:

Ha gently caress I missed that part. Dude is obviously gassing it in response to the selfie stick and the near boiling heat + :italy: gives us this sweet gif

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Godholio posted:

You probably could've push started that fucker in reverse.

I know what you mean but I've "push" started my wife's old geo backwards down a a hill in reverse. Did it all the time in her old dorm parking lot. Key on, brake off, clutch out in reverse and pop it 15 feet out of the parking spot and bounce.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I was told to do it the other way round, as 'the engine is harder to spin the wrong way'. I never really thought about it because I drive auto but is there any truth behind it?

One quarter turn of the engine before it caches isn't going to cause a major oiling gently caress up, and I can't see an issue with running the timing gear backwards. Once you get up to two or three complete turns then you may have these problems but by then your car is probably running away down a hill so...
A timing chain with no tensioner like an SBC or 4.0 I could care less, spin that fucker whatever direction you want. Ones with tensioners may act up because the chain tensioner isn't pressurized by oil yet and the slack may end up in the wrong spot (since it's turning the wrong way, the loads will be reversed) and could skip a tooth or something I suppose. Timing belts I'd rather avoid it entirely, hell, some Subarus have a special sheetmetal thing that wraps around the top of the crank timing sprocket to prevent it skipping teeth for exactly this reason.

With an auto it's not going to matter anyways because the clutches aren't going to engage without hydraulic pressure, which is produced by a pump run by the neck of the torque converter off of the engine, so until the engine is turning a few hundred rpm nothing is going to make it back through the trans from the wheels regardless.

I don't believe engines are any harder to turn the wrong way, the valves are all closed during both the power and compression strokes so it doesn't matter if you're compressing air in the cylinders on compression (turning forward) or power (turning backward). The only difference is you drew that air in through an unfiltered (bad!) unrestricted exhaust system if you're turning the engine backward, or through a closed throttle plate and air filter if you're turning the engine forward. So it's probably actually better for the engine and more effective to do this with the engine turning forward anyways, which implies parking in first gear facing downhill or reverse facing uphill. You just risk more engine damage (timing set on some engines, oiling system, unfiltered air in the cylinders) if you spin the engine backward.

Shifty Pony posted:

Fired right up.
It's a 4.0, the oil was optional, the timing design is prehistoric and bulletproof, and in general it won't matter what you do to it :haw:

Mr-Spain posted:

I know what you mean but I've "push" started my wife's old geo backwards down a a hill in reverse. Did it all the time in her old dorm parking lot. Key on, brake off, clutch out in reverse and pop it 15 feet out of the parking spot and bounce.

That's still turning the engine forward, so no issue. I've done the same when I had a failed starter and stalled out facing uphill. In fact I did exactly that in a restaurant parking lot a few weeks ago when my battery died.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kastein posted:

That's still turning the engine forward, so no issue.

Good point. I meant backwards. :downs:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

some Subarus have a special sheetmetal thing that wraps around the top of the crank timing sprocket to prevent it skipping teeth for exactly this reason.

Most post-70s manual Subarus should have this. It was introduced in either the late 60s or very early 70s as they began to ship cars bigger than the Subaru 360 to the USA and discovered that some cars would jump timing on their way over.

It didn't leave the best impression with customers when your brand new weird niche Japanesemobile didn't start when you got it and required it to be re-timed.

Chapter 392, "Subaru Engineering Division Hacks, April 2015 Compendium Volume 6"

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
FWIW on big slow speed diesels on ships for reverse you just stop the engine, then start it in the other direction. No reduction gear or anything silly like that.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Chapter 392, "Subaru Engineering Division Hacks, April 2015 Compendium Volume 6"

I'd buy this. It would make a hell of a coffee-table book... or mechanic's waiting-room book.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

FWIW on big slow speed diesels on ships for reverse you just stop the engine, then start it in the other direction. No reduction gear or anything silly like that.

Yes but aren't they generally two strokes and therefore don't rely on any kind of valve timing relative to the crankshaft?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Yes but aren't they generally two strokes and therefore don't rely on any kind of valve timing relative to the crankshaft?

They do, the camshaft actually shifts to a different set of lobes. Fuel timing is different in either direction.
These huge engines don't drive their own oil pumps or coolant pumps, though. There are auxiliary generators that take care of such things.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Well that's pretty freaking awesome.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
They also have an overhead crane so the can lift out an entire piston + conrod and just run the engine without it, if need be.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

bolind posted:

They also have an overhead crane so the can lift out an entire piston + conrod and just run the engine without it, if need be.
That reminds me of the road trip I took with my dad when he'd just changed the spark plugs and one wire wasn't hooked up tight enough, so we were running on 7 cylinders. :downs: It was rough but it still worked.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

That reminds me of the road trip I took with my dad when he'd just changed the spark plugs and one wire wasn't hooked up tight enough, so we were running on 7 cylinders. :downs: It was rough but it still worked.

When I bought my El Camino many years ago, 5 of the 8 spark plug wires had burned through after presumably falling against the engine block or exhaust when the retainer clip they were in broke. It drove 60 miles back home on the remaining 3. V8s dont give a single gently caress.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Did the extra fuel being dumped through the exhaust eat away at the cat?

Had a guy come into the store with an exploded muffler a couple weeks back. Timing was off, causing fuel to end up there through cause it to kaboom.

He wanted us to warranty it out.

Not really. Guy's a regular and brought it in because he knew we'd get a kick out of it

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Did the extra fuel being dumped through the exhaust eat away at the cat?

Yeah, the cat was destroyed. No idea how long it had been like that but I was 17 and didnt know any better.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Helped my buddy change out the giubo on his BMW 318ci this weekend and it was a nightmare hellscape of destroyed rubber and fibers and weird polymers:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I thought you made up that word or misspelled something badly. Of course it's a BMW only thing.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what the gently caress is a guibo?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DiggityDoink posted:

I thought you made up that word or misspelled something badly. Of course it's a BMW only thing.

And 50 year old Alfas.

VVV
A giubo is like a universal joint designed by idiots Italians.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

And Fiats. And Mercedeses.

A guibo is like a universal joint designed by idiots.