Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BigFactory posted:

When I had Comcast you had to restart the box holding mute or something to access the secret menu. Google the model of your box for directions.

Yea, I have a Pace RNG110. A lot of the manuals were out of date and didn't correspond to what was actually displayed when I followed the instructions.

The good news is that I finally go it to work by using two Comcast remotes simultaneously (had to turn box off and immediately hit the MENU button on the other remote to get into the deeper settings). The problem was that the remote turns off the cable box, tv and aux in order (without allowing for input while that's going on) and by the time that's happened it's too late for the menu button to register as being hit. No manual, Youtube video or Comcast support forum had anything explaining this issue exactly.

Now I can finally watch SD properly. And the HD zoom button now allows for the proper stretching of a 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 movies. :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I have a lot of cable subscriptions that aren't represented in Roku (Cinemax, USA, AMC). Is there a solution for casting to Roku from those iOS apps?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The Modern Leper posted:

I have a lot of cable subscriptions that aren't represented in Roku (Cinemax, USA, AMC). Is there a solution for casting to Roku from those iOS apps?

Nothing that I have found. I usually have to watch it on an IPad to watch it (like I am doing for the Cubs/Cardinals series on TBS).

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

The Modern Leper posted:

Your solution is partly getting an Apple TV to compliment your Roku. That said, Apple lets the content provider decide whether their content can be AirPlayed, so occasionally an app will fail to stream.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Funny enough, I bought the Roku 3 to replace my Apple TV 3 because it supports Amazon without AirPlay and because the new Apple TV didn't interest me. I'd rather not bounce between a bunch of different HDMI inputs, though, so I may just figure something out via Plex. Good job, content providers!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zogo posted:

Yea, I have a Pace RNG110. A lot of the manuals were out of date and didn't correspond to what was actually displayed when I followed the instructions.

The good news is that I finally go it to work by using two Comcast remotes simultaneously (had to turn box off and immediately hit the MENU button on the other remote to get into the deeper settings). The problem was that the remote turns off the cable box, tv and aux in order (without allowing for input while that's going on) and by the time that's happened it's too late for the menu button to register as being hit. No manual, Youtube video or Comcast support forum had anything explaining this issue exactly.

Now I can finally watch SD properly. And the HD zoom button now allows for the proper stretching of a 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 movies. :waycool:

Why on Earth would you bury aspect ratio options in a secret menu :psyduck:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Is this thread about providing tech support for someone with cable now?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

Why on Earth would you bury aspect ratio options in a secret menu :psyduck:

Now that it's solved it's pretty funny in hindsight. I ran across a ton of people complaining because they had to use this same method to toggle closed captioning on/off every time they wanted it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'll be honest, I think you should cut cable just to rid yourself of that hosed over interface.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Does anyone else have Sling TV? Is it lovely for everybody or am I unlucky? When I watch on my computer it frequently has issues with the audio skipping/repeating for a few minutes, which then leaves the audio behind for several minutes. Then it will just lose everything and say "an error occurred" and if I'm lucky, it will recover. If I'm not, I am hosed and I have to go to the Roku and hope it works there. On the Roku, changing channels takes 3-5 minutes to actually produce a picture. It's loving lovely and I'm likely going to cancel. I'd write them an email or something but I doubt they'd give a drat.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

beejay posted:

Does anyone else have Sling TV? Is it lovely for everybody or am I unlucky? When I watch on my computer it frequently has issues with the audio skipping/repeating for a few minutes, which then leaves the audio behind for several minutes. Then it will just lose everything and say "an error occurred" and if I'm lucky, it will recover. If I'm not, I am hosed and I have to go to the Roku and hope it works there. On the Roku, changing channels takes 3-5 minutes to actually produce a picture. It's loving lovely and I'm likely going to cancel. I'd write them an email or something but I doubt they'd give a drat.

I do, and it is lovely, and they don't care. I haven't had the massively delayed audio that you're seeing, but it frequently has poo poo quality or just doesn't work. If you contact their support, you'll be lucky if they provide you with the "gently caress you" template response for the right issue.

I mostly use it for a login to ESPN for college football/Monday Night Football, and most of the time that works, but it's shaky enough that I'll cancel after football season.

tk fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 13, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tk posted:

I mostly use it for a login to ESPN for college football/Monday Night Football, and most of the time that works, but it's shaky enough that I'll cancel after football season.

This is literally the only reason to use SlingTV

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm surprised ESPN hasn't toyed with offering their own a la carte streaming package like HBO. They have enough content to justify it and live sports is like the one reason many people still have cable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm surprised ESPN hasn't toyed with offering their own a la carte streaming package like HBO. They have enough content to justify it and live sports is like the one reason many people still have cable.

Because they make so much money from the cable companies, much more than HBO, that the moment they so much as hint at it, the cable cos will drop them out of the first tier.

They are the main beneficiaries of the bundle system. Something like 3-4 dollars of every cable sub goes their way.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sling TV was fine for the most part on my Roku 3 and Android phone. I just didn't watch it enough to make it worthwhile.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Thwomp posted:

Because they make so much money from the cable companies, much more than HBO, that the moment they so much as hint at it, the cable cos will drop them out of the first tier.

They are the main beneficiaries of the bundle system. Something like 3-4 dollars of every cable sub goes their way.

It's closer to double of that. But ESPN sees the writing on the wall with cable subs being on a decline. They are cutting $200 million from the budget over the next two years. And Disney's CEO said everything but confirm ESPN will have to go over-the-top like HBO NOW in less than five years.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

nickutz posted:

It's closer to double of that. But ESPN sees the writing on the wall with cable subs being on a decline. They are cutting $200 million from the budget over the next two years. And Disney's CEO said everything but confirm ESPN will have to go over-the-top like HBO NOW in less than five years.

I'd go year round with ESPN if you got all of the ESPN for a reasonable price, say $15 or less. I'm paying Sling $25 for that and I'm only keeping it until January.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

azurite posted:

Sling TV was fine for the most part on my Roku 3 and Android phone. I just didn't watch it enough to make it worthwhile.

I tried it for the free week that they gave. It blew my mind how little there was on the stations. The quality was okay but I spent several hours checking in on it for interesting shows to watch and I kept finding only shows that did not interest me.

I was extremely pumped about it and almost had my wife intrigued but one afternoon was all it took for me to get rid of it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Somewhere I remember ESPN talking about offering their service direct to consumer, but I can't find it at the moment.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'd be down for a streaming/on demand college football plan.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Does Sling do On Demand or DVR? I assume not.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ArgaWarga posted:

Not much on demand last I looked and no DVR, which made it pretty much worthless to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I'd be down for a streaming/on demand college football plan.

I would pay unreasonable amounts of money for some way to watch Gators Football in Canada, legally, without resorting to streams.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

ArgaWarga posted:

They kind of have DVR where some channels have the last 3 days of programming available. Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Lifetime, A&E, History, and H2 all have the 3 days of "DVR". If you get EPIX you get 7 days for all 4 EPIX channels and you get OnDemand. AMC you get OnDemand for some shows like Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just got an email from Charter offering me Spectrum TV stream a standalone streaming service that is for their broadband only customers. If offers ABC, Fox, NBC and CBS for $13 and just about every channel Sling TV does for an additional $7. You also get a free Roku 3 when you subscribe. Since Sling is so hit and miss and with the 4 broadcast channels ill be switching over. It's also month to month so no contract.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rad Valtar posted:

I just got an email from Charter offering me Spectrum TV stream a standalone streaming service that is for their broadband only customers. If offers ABC, Fox, NBC and CBS for $13 and just about every channel Sling TV does for an additional $7. You also get a free Roku 3 when you subscribe. Since Sling is so hit and miss and with the 4 broadcast channels ill be switching over. It's also month to month so no contract.

Are you sure it's no contract? Because giving away a $99 device when person can cancel after a month makes no business sense.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Are you sure it's no contract? Because giving away a $99 device when person can cancel after a month makes no business sense.

Yes, it says no contract multiple times. I looked up the service and it appears they launched it to compete with sling tv.

Here's the fine print unless I'm reading something wrong:
*Roku Offer: Offer good through 11/15/15; subject to change; restrictions apply; while supplies last; requires installation of qualifying Spectrum TV or Spectrum TV Stream package; free shipment of Roku device including remote control may take up to 1 week from completed order; additional equipment required; valid only for named recipient; availability of offer based on service address and valid to qualified residential customers who have no outstanding obligation to Charter.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 16, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's a big thread about it on slickdeals. It's a real offer.

I'm going to give it a try if only for the $20 Roku. I don't really care about live TV or locals, but it looks like there's a couple decent turn-it-on-for-background-noise stations on there like HGTV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cable with Buffering seems to be catching on.

Hooraaaaaaaay

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

What is the go to for PVR/DVR software? I'm currently using Windows Media Center but I don't need all that since I use Plex for all my video needs. I just want a simple program that will record a couple shows from my OTA antenna and HDHomerun box. I've tried running MythTV in a VM but wasn't happy with it since it couldn't find any stations even though WMC and the Homerun app report everything being fine.

I don't mind spending money if there is one out there that is decent that isn't an all in one media center experience.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

diremonk posted:

What is the go to for PVR/DVR software? I'm currently using Windows Media Center but I don't need all that since I use Plex for all my video needs. I just want a simple program that will record a couple shows from my OTA antenna and HDHomerun box. I've tried running MythTV in a VM but wasn't happy with it since it couldn't find any stations even though WMC and the Homerun app report everything being fine.

I don't mind spending money if there is one out there that is decent that isn't an all in one media center experience.

You're already using the 'go to' solution. With everyone focused so much on streaming there really hasn't been much development around actual PVR/DVR software solutions. Windows Media Center is probably the best software solution that's currently available. SiliconDust is working on a HDHomeRun DVR but that's still in beta and isn't scheduled to be released until Dec (if you're lucky).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

diremonk posted:

If your computer has WMC just use that. There's even a Plex extension that'll tap into it called PlexWMC that lets you sort-of reliably play Live TV and watch/schedule recordings from Plex.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got a Roku 4 today. It is pretty fast (yes, I noticed an increase speed on the UI). Also, the 4K content (they have a 4K screen saver and I watched a few 4K videos on youtube).

The one noticeable issue is that there is now a fan running in the device and it can sound like a laptop or bluray player running. You can hear it as white noise even when watching a show.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Krailor posted:

You're already using the 'go to' solution. With everyone focused so much on streaming there really hasn't been much development around actual PVR/DVR software solutions. Windows Media Center is probably the best software solution that's currently available. SiliconDust is working on a HDHomeRun DVR but that's still in beta and isn't scheduled to be released until Dec (if you're lucky).

For OTA, I've had decent luck with this cheapo digital converter box. The remote sucks and there are no advanced scheduling options, but you can manually set up a recording schedule and liveTV just fine.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 24, 2015

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

gaj70 posted:

For OTA, I've had decent luck with this cheapo digital converter box. The remote sucks and there are no advanced scheduling options, but you can manually set up a recording schedule and liveTV just fine.

We have one of these at work. It reminds me of a vcr made in 1998. It works.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Thats the one all the xboners bought.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Thats the one all the xboners bought.

I'm sure they'll be available real cheap when MS turns on DVR in 2016

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I live in a two-story house and I'd like to put an antenna in my attic. However I need to maintain my TWC hookup for internet for the time being.

Is there an easier way of doing this than just paying someone to string me a co-ax line from the attic through the wall and installing a new outlet at our downstairs TV? Alternately I guess running the line outside and through our crawlspace, but that's six of one in that I can't really do either on my own.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just do it yourself. Its easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I can confirm that it's easy. I kept my cable essentially the same as it had been, except now the main splitter's input is coming from the attic.