Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sychopath posted:

Settings->Safari->Passwords to get to your passwords.

Oh that is beyond handy to know, thanks!

Still looking to maybe do 1Password but then again I'm loathe to set up YET another system. I guess maybe I will once I determine the need is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Oh that is beyond handy to know, thanks!

Still looking to maybe do 1Password but then again I'm loathe to set up YET another system. I guess maybe I will once I determine the need is there.

1pw is also really useful as a secure locker for other information, too- like software licenses, credit card info, wifi passwords, family SSN info, or even general notes like past addresses/landlord info/etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, yeah, true that.

I think I'll hold off for now just because I don't immediately need it and the $20 off isn't going to make or break it for me, but it's on my shortlist of things to look at if I find the need appears.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Migrating from Lastpass to 1Password is pretty painless, I did it just this weekend. I think it also has means to import from browsers but I found the whole process of setting it up to be very easy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are you people moving things based on something that *might* happen?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LogMeIn are a poo poo company.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Why are you people moving things based on something that *might* happen?

I think it's less of what happens in the future, and more that people don't want to support LogMeIn *now*.

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh
I'm looking for an app that will allow me to view and manipulate my computer remotely in a in a way that I can see the desktop (mac running Lion). Mostly I just want to open photobooth when I'm at work to see what my dogs are doing. I've googled some options and all the options seem to be Windows only or only work when we are both on the same wifi network.

Thanks in advance.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

UnNethertrash posted:

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to view and manipulate my computer remotely in a in a way that I can see the desktop (mac running Lion). Mostly I just want to open photobooth when I'm at work to see what my dogs are doing. I've googled some options and all the options seem to be Windows only or only work when we are both on the same wifi network.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to look into something like Chrome Remote Desktop.

Another option is open up screen sharing through your firewall and use a VNC client, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be doing that.

Finally you can use RealVNC (VNC Viewer in App Store) over an SSH proxy tunnel back to your lion box. You'd have to open up port 22 on your firewall to your Mac, but that should work ok. There's ton of stuff on the internet about setting using SSH as a SOCKS proxy. It works really well for SOCKS aware apps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chrome Remote Desktop is kind of lovely when the desktop being viewed is on a mac. It does weird things with picking a resolution that fits your browser window, it's not a 1:1 copy like a traditional VNC session would produce. Which is fine, it technically works, but OSX loves to gently caress with your window positions when it changes resolutions and it drives me nuts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Chrome Remote Desktop is kind of lovely when the desktop being viewed is on a mac. It does weird things with picking a resolution that fits your browser window, it's not a 1:1 copy like a traditional VNC session would produce. Which is fine, it technically works, but OSX loves to gently caress with your window positions when it changes resolutions and it drives me nuts.

Actually, if all he wants to do is access a live video feed from his camera, this may work better:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/03/mac-security-camera-watch-live-video-remotely-from-ipad-iphone/

Basically, you're setting up a FaceTime session and setting the Mac to auto accept inbound calls. You may want to create a different Apple ID for just the Mac if you use Face Time regularly.

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh

flosofl posted:

Actually, if all he wants to do is access a live video feed from his camera, this may work better:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/03/mac-security-camera-watch-live-video-remotely-from-ipad-iphone/

Basically, you're setting up a FaceTime session and setting the Mac to auto accept inbound calls. You may want to create a different Apple ID for just the Mac if you use Face Time regularly.

Brilliant! I did consider the facetime option once, but I wasn't sure about the security of auto accepting things. From the link, however, it looks like I can set it to only autoaccept from my phone, which solves the problem perfectly.

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh

flosofl posted:

code:
Setting Up the Camera & Accepting Remote Video Connections
This is easier to set up than you might think. We’re going to assume you already have FaceTime on the Mac installed, if not do that first. Next you’ll want to position the Mac so that the front-facing iSight (FaceTime) camera is pointing in the direction you want to watch. With that done, here’s the most technical aspect of this set up:

1. Launch Terminal found in /Applications/Utilities/ and enter the following command to automatically accept incoming FaceTime calls:
defaults write com.apple.FaceTime AutoAcceptInvites -bool YES

2. Still in Terminal, enter the next command, changing the email address on the end with the Apple ID you wish to automatically accept a video connection from:
defaults write com.apple.FaceTime AutoAcceptInvitesFrom -array-add [email]change@me.com[/email]
If you want to add other Apple ID’s or even a phone number to automatically accept FaceTime video calls from, feel free to do so by running the above command again with additional email addresses. Phone numbers must be prefixed with a + like so: +14085551212
Just a note for anyone else. I interpreted the website instructions to do both these instructions, but doing that set my computer to autoaccept calls from anyone. I However, setting "AutoAcceptInvites -bool" to "NO" gave me the desired result of only accepting calls from the email entered in step 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

UnNethertrash posted:

Thanks in advance.

You want to use goon favourite, LogMeIn!

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

UnNethertrash posted:

Thanks in advance.

Have you taken a look at TeamViewer? It's free and has apps for iOS/Android/Win/Mac.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, yeah, true that.

I think I'll hold off for now just because I don't immediately need it and the $20 off isn't going to make or break it for me, but it's on my shortlist of things to look at if I find the need appears.

I use both 1password and iCloud Keychain. I really like both, but if you are both all Apple devices and don't have to share passwords with a significant other, iCloud Keychain should be fine for you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Why is Logmein lovely exactly? I've been using it for awhile now with no issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Etrips posted:

Why is Logmein lovely exactly? I've been using it for awhile now with no issues.

They have decent technology, but they're a pretty shady company. They'll disable features to try and force users to upgrade to a higher service offering.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Company identity and trust are pretty much pivotal factors when dealing with things like cloud e-mail, or password protections.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does Overcast support auth'd podcast feeds (e.g Giant Bomb premium)? I was checking it out because of the news + Podcasts.app going to poo poo, but it seems like it has some weird server middleman thing going on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a way to make it work if you put your credentials in the podcast URL, but it doesn't do it natively.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Endless Mike posted:

There's a way to make it work if you put your credentials in the podcast URL, but it doesn't do it natively.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've had luck with password protected podcasts (Giantbomb specifically) by inserting the username and password into the URL.

Something like:

code:
[url]http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/[/url]

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

I searched the thread for Overcast and didn't see that post (probably because it's not in that post). I did try that yesterday and it said no feed available, but it worked just now so hurrah

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Milkman posted:

I searched the thread for Overcast and didn't see that post (probably because it's not in that post). I did try that yesterday and it said no feed available, but it worked just now so hurrah
Glad I could help. If you hadn't mentioned GB in particular I probably wouldn't have remembered.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm pretty sure they say to use https rather than http so your passwords aren't accessible

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm amazed there exists any website in 2015 that actually allows you to put a cleartext username and password in the URL, http or https or any other protocol at all.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

The Milkman posted:

Does Overcast support auth'd podcast feeds (e.g Giant Bomb premium)? I was checking it out because of the news + Podcasts.app going to poo poo, but it seems like it has some weird server middleman thing going on.

Just as a general note, there isn't an established way of implementing premium or paid podcasts, so it's going to be on a case by case basis.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

101 posted:

I'm pretty sure they say to use https rather than http so your passwords aren't accessible

Yeah I did, but it should be said.

xzzy posted:

I'm amazed there exists any website in 2015 that actually allows you to put a cleartext username and password in the URL, http or https or any other protocol at all.

Pretty sure [I hope] they only use HTTP auth for the podcast feed, specifically because

Slowhanded posted:

there isn't an established way of implementing premium or paid podcasts

It's not super secure but my Giant Bomb account isn't exactly critical so w/e. Off the top of my head I think a better way would be to assign a token to the account and use that in the query string to auth. It doesn't dissuade sharing the url like having your actual password in the clear but it does still keep normies out and let you track abuse and if you care to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, API keys are the way to do that now and it's not perfect, but it works okay.

They could go down the OAuth rabbit hole. :v:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Would also be nice if they let you set a separate and distinct username/password for downloading the podcast from the one you use to manage your account.

Somebody steals it? Oh no somebody else is listening to my podcast episodes besides me and they have no access to any of my information. How horrible.

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh

bobdigi posted:

Have you taken a look at TeamViewer? It's free and has apps for iOS/Android/Win/Mac.

The FaceTime option has solved the more immediate problem of spying on my dogs, but for the future I will keep this in mind because from time to time I want to do something more expansive on my computer. Their website looks like the product is pretty good.

FaceTime is awesome though because I can leave the computer volume on high and yell at them next time I catch them chewing up the carpet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

UnNethertrash posted:

The FaceTime option has solved the more immediate problem of spying on my dogs, but for the future I will keep this in mind because from time to time I want to do something more expansive on my computer. Their website looks like the product is pretty good.

FaceTime is awesome though because I can leave the computer volume on high and yell at them next time I catch them chewing up the carpet.

I had a coworker who used to do this when his dogs would jump up on the couch when he wasn't home. They'd jump off the couch immediately, look contrite, and then very confused when they couldn't find him.

Except desktop FaceTime wasn't a thing then. I think he used an SSH tunnel and had pre-recorded audio files to play like "Off!", "Drop it!" and "Good boy."

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Ugly Apps had an app called Episodes, and it worked really well for tracking tv shows. With the new version of iOS, it doesn't work at all, and its now pulled from the app store. So what I need is recommendations for an app to replace it. Is there any hope for recovering the data? I had a billion shows I was halfway through binging.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

UnNethertrash posted:

You could always get a second hand iPhone hook it up to wifi, then use a baby monitor app like Cloud Baby Monitor

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've got the other Giant Bomb feeds to work in Overcast but not the video one (it works in Downcast) anyone have more luck?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hadji murad posted:

I've got the other Giant Bomb feeds to work in Overcast but not the video one (it works in Downcast) anyone have more luck?

Well Overcast doesn't support video, so I doubt it

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Etrips posted:

As mentioned, they close off features in an effort to try and get people on paid plans. They bought Hamachi, which was originally an easy to use free VPN service, then made it pay only. They took some of the features from the free accounts and made them Pro Account only at some point, I think. Their LogMeIn Ignition app was a premium paid app(read: $20-$130 app) for a long time and then they made it free, then later said "um, we'll add pro features for people who paid for it before" in an effort to appease customers who had to shell out for it before. After that, they cut off all free accounts and then realized that people paid for the app, so they changed it so you can have free access from mobile devices only, which is confusing.

A lot of this sounds pretty normal, but also points to the company kinda not knowing what the gently caress they're doing and grasping for different ways to monetize.

As for using LogMeIn? Just switch to TeamViewer; it's free and performs better anyway.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
One specific podcast I listen to, The Brendon Burns Show, for the last two episodes has been unable to play after downloading. It just jumps straight back to the "all episodes" screen. Other podcasts seem to work fine, and streaming the broken episodes through the web player seem to work, but I just can't seem to get it going through the downloaded file on the app. I've tried deleting the episodes, unsubscribing and resubscribing from the podcast, rebooting. Etc.

Anyone else had this?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

101 posted:

Well Overcast doesn't support video, so I doubt it

Never even thought of it, that answers my question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

gypsyshred posted:

Ugly Apps had an app called Episodes, and it worked really well for tracking tv shows. With the new version of iOS, it doesn't work at all, and its now pulled from the app store. So what I need is recommendations for an app to replace it. Is there any hope for recovering the data? I had a billion shows I was halfway through binging.

I've been using TeeVee for a while and I like it quite a bit.