Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Some more first game questions, just to keep me on the straight and narrow :)

First game as England, its only 1460, and the only real news is that I took Picardie from Burgundy in a cheeky joining in with Allied defence of Triers. The War of the Roses lost me a lot of Manpower which I'm trying to pull back (at around 10k out of 26k), but I still have a sizeable army. Considering my options.

1) Scotland allied with Munster and Connacht, who took a province each for a three way Ireland split. France are too strong to rattle, Burgundy could be tidies up but I have a long truce with them, so thinking Ireland is a good bet. I really want to raise my Manpower back up so war isn't ideal, but more red provinces is always good and I could take Scotland in a fight. But I saw I had the option to vassalise Munster. It was ticked, but I needed a military alliance and better relations, both of which are achievable. Would it be better to vassal an Irish county and help them conquer the rest of Ireland, to take them over later? Or should I go full aggression and just attack?

2) My first national idea choice has come up. I have absolutely no idea what to choose here, swamped with options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

1. Diplovassalising is pretty much always worth it when it's possible. It's very rare that you could make a cleaner integration by straight up war.

2. Take either an Admin or a Diplo idea group as your first pick; keeping up with mil tech in the early game is vastle more important than taking ideas. The only time you want a MIL group as your first thing is if you are willing to just let it sit partially filled for a while; which, granted, might fit your circumstances since you need manpower and Quantity has two of its strongest ideas right at the start. But a more standard pick would be something like Administrative or Influence ideas. Keep in mind that if you are planning on colonising you'll want to hold back on Exploration until your third or so idea group since you'll lack the colonial range to set up colonies until Diplo tech 7 or higher, most likely.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tahirovic posted:

Guess who'll be coring Africa, Arabia and India for <10 Admin per province.

Remember to grab Constantinople and Constantinople only so you can release an OPM Byzantium to keep a land connection from forming there as well. I guess you could feed them their cores as well, but that seems less funny.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^Syria is my vassal too, but I guess you're right Constantinople would work best.

Gonna have to see how to do that otherwise, but I was thinking of having a vassal block the way from the Persian gulf to the sea north of Persia (Caspian sea?), also gonna need something later to block asia. But it is fun as hell, I think I spent less than 100 admin coring those rich Iraqi provinces.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

YF-23 posted:

1. Diplovassalising is pretty much always worth it when it's possible. It's very rare that you could make a cleaner integration by straight up war.

2. Take either an Admin or a Diplo idea group as your first pick; keeping up with mil tech in the early game is vastle more important than taking ideas. The only time you want a MIL group as your first thing is if you are willing to just let it sit partially filled for a while; which, granted, might fit your circumstances since you need manpower and Quantity has two of its strongest ideas right at the start. But a more standard pick would be something like Administrative or Influence ideas. Keep in mind that if you are planning on colonising you'll want to hold back on Exploration until your third or so idea group since you'll lack the colonial range to set up colonies until Diplo tech 7 or higher, most likely.

1) Great, I was hoping to let my troops recover a bit but take advantage of the vassal option. It'll be interesting to try that route for a change, haven't really done it in other paradox games.

2) What's the link between ideas and teching up? Currently I'm pretty rich (800 in the Bank with 13 income a month), but I accidentally switched my national focus so instead of like 7 6 6 I'm at about 12 1 6, so I won't be getting many diplo points or progress until I can switch it back. Does that mean I need an influence idea to make up for this, or go for an admin idea since I'm really strong there? Should I not be going for a military idea because I use military tech points to upgrade military ideas and I want to save them for tech ATM?

In addition, I've popped market places only where it makes a big difference, London, Caux maybe another. Not sure how many temples to put down, not a great return on investment but I guess it will only ever get more income in real terms.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

1) Great, I was hoping to let my troops recover a bit but take advantage of the vassal option. It'll be interesting to try that route for a change, haven't really done it in other paradox games.

2) What's the link between ideas and teching up? Currently I'm pretty rich (800 in the Bank with 13 income a month), but I accidentally switched my national focus so instead of like 7 6 6 I'm at about 12 1 6, so I won't be getting many diplo points or progress until I can switch it back. Does that mean I need an influence idea to make up for this, or go for an admin idea since I'm really strong there? Should I not be going for a military idea because I use military tech points to upgrade military ideas and I want to save them for tech ATM?

In addition, I've popped market places only where it makes a big difference, London, Caux maybe another. Not sure how many temples to put down, not a great return on investment but I guess it will only ever get more income in real terms.

Generally, it's safe to spend all your MP on ideas before going back to teching up once you've completed the idea line, because tech will get cheaper as time passes but ideas won't, so in the long run it costs less MP to do it that way. The big exception is that you don't want to do this with military tech, especially early in the game, because it makes a big difference in wartime. If you're bringing in 12 admin points a month, go for an admin idea. Admin are the most useful points (if you find yourself getting close to your admin cap you can always just conquer and core some provinces) but it's still good to make use of that glut while you have it.

Temples are not really worth buying except in high base tax provinces, likes 8+. When you click to build it, see what the monthly increase in income will be. If it's like +0.10 gold, it will take 1000 years to repay your investment of 100 gold, so you'd be better off spending your money on a building somewhere else where it will make a bigger impact.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

As vyelkin said.

Both technology and ideas cost you monarch points to unlock. If you're starting to fill out an idea group (base cost for each of the 7 ideas in a group is 400 points), it will mean that you will fall behind on the equivalent tech for a couple of decades. This can be fine with administrative or diplomatic technology (with a few circumstantial exceptions), but you almost never want to fall behind on military technology.

Ideas themselves give you a boost to tech cost reduction - each idea you unlock in a group will by itself give you a 2% cost reduction to the appropriate technology, so, bonuses themselves aside, if you have two administrative idea groups filled you'll be getting a -28% admin tech cost. You'll additionally have fallen behind in the technology itself - if any country in your technology group is a technology ahead of you that gives you a 5% reduction to the cost of that tech for every tech level they have on you. So if you start filling out an admin group and by the time you're done, say, Bohemia has reached admin tech 7 ahead of everyone else, for admin tech 6 you'll be getting a 14% reduction from having filled an admin idea group, a 10% reduction because you're two techs behind on your tech group, and any other bonii you get to tech cost reduction from the ideas themselves (Innovative has a 5% tech cost reduction, administrative a 10% admin tech cost reduction). That makes catching up much easier.

With mil tech, when you do pick a military idea group, you'll usually be filling out a 2-3 ideas between techs, but early game there's some really big bonuses in the techs which can give you a big advantage, so you want to be focusing on those and maybe even getting them ahead of time if you're about to fight a big war. I can only think of two cases where you want to prioritise administrative or diplomatic technology over filling out an idea group in those categories; with administrative, it's if you are about to unlock an administrative efficiency bonus technology soon before you get a lot of provinces to core in a peace. With diplomatic, if you have big vassals, colonial nations etc. you will want to be up to date on diplomatic technology because you're otherwise risking your subjects getting ahead of you, which gives them significant boosts to Liberty Desire. As a coloniser you're almost certain to be dealing with that late game so keep this in mind.

Temples give a % of a province's base tax income. They will give you a return that's more worth their value but it will take a while for most provinces. Vyelkin is wrong in this because the tooltip when you build something is monthly, so at +0.10 the temple would make you 1.2 ducats a year, and so clean out its investment after something closer to 80 years in that case. That said I would probably still not build a temple in a province that a base tax as low as that, but you should have plenty of provinces that can give you more than that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Temples give a % of a province's base tax income. They will give you a return that's more worth their value but it will take a while for most provinces. Vyelkin is wrong in this because the tooltip when you build something is monthly, so at +0.10 the temple would make you 1.2 ducats a year, and so clean out its investment after something closer to 80 years in that case. That said I would probably still not build a temple in a province that a base tax as low as that, but you should have plenty of provinces that can give you more than that.

Whoops yeah I totally hosed my math up on that. Anyway I still wouldn't build a temple there, 80 years is a long time and you'll get a better return for your 100 gold by doing something else.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Thanks for running through the MP, explains the thoughts behind that really well.

Hmmm, well I haven't stopped too many temples, and I was putting them in places with 0.26-0.30 a month so I thought they would pay back, I was just worried about the building cap.

Argh, stuck at work when I want to get home and put all this into action!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My rule of thumb is go for Workshops over Temples except in really high base tax provinces, but even then it's usually not a great idea to buy economic buildings unless you are very flush with cash and building slots. I'd rather spend the money on mercs or a barracks or save up for a manufactory etc.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Protecting just increases your trade power, while privateering is completely different. Instead of increasing your trade power, it increases the trade power of the "pirate nation", which automatically collects in that node and then gives you 40% of what they collect. In a sense, it's like collecting in a node with a 60% efficiency penalty, without needing to use a merchant. Privateers also contribute 50% more trade power than normal trade fleets. Most importantly, you can get up to 30 power projection from privateering (10 for each rival).

You learn something new even after 1000 hours.

Also, whoever recommended a Genoa game and all their missions, thank you. It's a super fun game. Destroyed the Ottomans in the crib and after everyone had picked their bones clean I vassalized them and reclaimed all their territory that I hadn't already taken myself, plus I own all the major trade centres in the Mediterranean -except- the ones that belonged to Aragon, now Spain. I wish I'd focused on taking them out before they joined with Castile, but they were allied with them and had a bunch of other strong friends.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

Protecting just increases your trade power, while privateering is completely different. Instead of increasing your trade power, it increases the trade power of the "pirate nation", which automatically collects in that node and then gives you 40% of what they collect. In a sense, it's like collecting in a node with a 60% efficiency penalty, without needing to use a merchant. Privateers also contribute 50% more trade power than normal trade fleets. Most importantly, you can get up to 30 power projection from privateering (10 for each rival).

I'd never though of using them as an extra merchant before. Now I'm very curious what would happen if you used privateers in a node where you already held 100% of the power there. I'm thinking of my Genoa game, where I had 98% power in Venice. The trade can't flow anywhere, and nobody else had any power there, so by sending just 1 light ship, I could collect 40% of what's there, and still get my efficiency bonuses in Genoa. One more variable to experiment with I suppose.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

Most of your questions have been answered pretty well, but regarding ideas in general your first few are the most important and I would say pick your "get big" ideas ASAP. Keep in mind the opportunity cost-- you unlock new ideas every few decades, meaning your first couple you'll have the whole game while your last two are almost completely irrelevant since by the time you unlock them there are only a few decades left to play.

Generally I would recommend Exploration, Expansion, and Quantity as more colonial-focused picks or Administrative, Influence, <military pick> for land expansion. You can't really go wrong with any of the military ideas except Aristocratic or Naval, skip those.

Since you switched your Focus, I'd suggest getting Administrative though if you wanted to try out colonial you could also start filling out Expansion, switch your Focus to diplomatic and then take Exploration second.

You mentioned waiting for manpower recover and there's no need to sit and wait for it to return to 100% before fighting a war. Mercenary infantry is your friend, they're more expensive but don't drain manpower and as infantry take the most casualties, hiring on a few merc infantry can very noticeably reduce your manpower losses. You should be plenty wealthy to be able to afford some.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

^^^^^^^Syria is my vassal too, but I guess you're right Constantinople would work best.

Gonna have to see how to do that otherwise, but I was thinking of having a vassal block the way from the Persian gulf to the sea north of Persia (Caspian sea?), also gonna need something later to block asia. But it is fun as hell, I think I spent less than 100 admin coring those rich Iraqi provinces.

No don't. Not only is there another strait from Erdine to Bursa, Anatolia is considered part of Europe so it will consider Asia land connected through there. Syria/circassia is fine as it is.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm not sure there is a more satisfying game than starting as someone in the Americas and sending the European powers packing back to their side of the ocean. Unfortunately, one of the recent patches broke this game so I didn't get to finish claiming ALL of the Americas and most of the South Pacific like I was planning. So I had to start a new game when I decided it'd been too long since I'd last played.

But this is where I was at around 1690 Inca

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

This is still the best:

Guess who'll be coring Africa, Arabia and India for <10 Admin per province.

:agreed:

You could argue my effort would have been better spent clowning the Euros (that's what I've been doing the last couple decades) but who can pass up Africa at that price?

Trying to decide whether I want to conquer into India or not, I could've probably gotten all of it if I'd focused there rather than Africa but Vij was huuuuge for the longest time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As fun as abusing that exploit is I really hope they do something about it soon, it makes gameplay pretty one dimensional since it's more or less an objectively best strat so you want to rush to start using it as soon as possible.

It's not even like it's difficult to do, I've actually run into situations where I got a ton of cheap cores when I wasn't even trying to be exploitative.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

RabidWeasel posted:

As fun as abusing that exploit is I really hope they do something about it soon, it makes gameplay pretty one dimensional since it's more or less an objectively best strat so you want to rush to start using it as soon as possible.

It's not even like it's difficult to do, I've actually run into situations where I got a ton of cheap cores when I wasn't even trying to be exploitative.

It's value is already limited by the high 75% minimum autonomy of distant overseas provinces. Sure the provinces are cheap, but they're not really gaining you anything either. I bet Austria and Russia are both fielding larger armies than Pellisworth's Byzantium. He's apparently a good enough player to manage anyways but I would really struggle in that position.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

It's value is already limited by the high 75% minimum autonomy of distant overseas provinces. Sure the provinces are cheap, but they're not really gaining you anything either. I bet Austria and Russia are both fielding larger armies than Pellisworth's Byzantium. He's apparently a good enough player to manage anyways but I would really struggle in that position.

I was gonna post something along those lines. Maybe it could stand to be nerfed a little, but all those minimum 75% autonomy provinces are basically only contributing some trade value and power.

Austria and Russia have similar sized armies, I've been playing pretty conservatively and really only felt comfortable aggressively going after the Europeans after about 1600. As Byzantium you only get 5% Discipline for army quality bonuses, and doing Venice -> Byzantium like I've done here your first 100-odd years are buying a ton of mercs while running on manpower fumes.

Russia themselves aren't too bad as they Westernized and were way behind on tech, so I took an opportunity to 100% occupy and gently caress them for a few decades. Russia - Austria - Genoa have had an alliance hugbox (also France with Austria) for most of the game which is a major reason I haven't done more expansion into eastern Europe.

Most of my wars have been leveraging my naval supremacy and ludicrous wall of forts in the Balkans. You might notice I'm the only colonizer in Africa or Asia PERIOD (edit: other than Portugal's corner of Africa which I've been retaking), and that's largely because I've been routinely declaring wars on Spain and Portugal, occupying their colonies and islands and other non-Iberian stuff and stripping away all their African and Asian territory.

So yeah, all told I'm rich as gently caress and in a very defensible position but I've only recently gotten a big enough (and sufficiently high quality) army to start taking the fight to them. An offensive war against Austria would be really rough without a strong ally, for example.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

LLSix posted:

The real value comes from having the East half of Africa and the South half of Asia all start plummeting down to 0% autonomy after you paid ~10-20 adm a province to core it when you Annex Syria and Iraq

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

420 Gank Mid posted:

The real value comes from having the East half of Africa and the South half of Asia all start plummeting down to 0% autonomy after you paid ~10-20 adm a province to core it when you Annex Syria and Iraq

Yeah if you make a few different snake buffer vassals and arrange it so that you diplo annex them just after you finish coring their respective 'overseas' regions then you can get tons of regular provinces fairly quickly at a low cost. You don't need to have all of Asia or Africa treated as overseas for ages.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It is an insanely cheap very high returns long-term investment. Sure, each province is a fourth as good, but then after a hundred years of near-free expansion you annex that vassal and whoah you autonomy-reduce yourself to titan strength.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah if you make a few different snake buffer vassals and arrange it so that you diplo annex them just after you finish coring their respective 'overseas' regions then you can get tons of regular provinces fairly quickly at a low cost. You don't need to have all of Asia or Africa treated as overseas for ages.

Yup I'm about to start integrating Syria while I finish off most of the rest of the toxic-core North African provinces. That'll make Cape to Cairo and north Africa all connected to my capital but I can still core the West Africans for half price and later connect via colonizing those interior provinces.

It probably needs tweaked but it's a very long term strategy, you're sacrificing a lot of potential in the meantime for a huge payoff down the line.

Edit: I expect integrating Syria will probably double my manpower and forcelimits.

and for anyone doing Venice -> Byzantium the only reason to take Religious ideas would be for the CB. All my land there is Orthodox, I converted Mecca in like 1580 easy peasy.

Edit2: the other drawback to doing this is you'll quickly find yourself limited mostly by overextension and that means you can't conquer much else while chowing down on cheap African or Asian provinces.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 13, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You should never take religious or humanist as byz.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
As gamey and exploitative the trick is, I hate to think if world conquests will even be possible if you couldn't do it anymore. I have 100 achievements completed, many of them considered "very hard," but I'm no where near good enough to try a WC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

It is an insanely cheap very high returns long-term investment. Sure, each province is a fourth as good, but then after a hundred years of near-free expansion you annex that vassal and whoah you autonomy-reduce yourself to titan strength.

I'd say a good fix would be to have the 75% autonomy floor real, rather than having the autonomy tick down down behind the scenes. Then when you linked them to your capital, they'd tick down from 75%, rather than just flashing to 0.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have some tips with getting started on a Luck of the Irish playthrough? I haven't played in a while but my last game was saving the Byz the hard way, no major allies (except to keep the otto's from getting military access). Took a ton of restarts until I got going but drat was it satisfying, with some really high-tension clinch moments. I've been trying to get back into the game by doing some easier starts but it just isn't catching me. I need a wall to bang my head against, but I'm not really good enough to get started on my own.

EDIT: should mention I'm not really interested in running to the new world, if that is the current strategy. (Though I've heard the new world sucks now?)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

I'd say a good fix would be to have the 75% autonomy floor real, rather than having the autonomy tick down down behind the scenes. Then when you linked them to your capital, they'd tick down from 75%, rather than just flashing to 0.

I was thinking that very same solution, although it'd still be a really powerful way to expand. It would make Economics really attractive with Centralization.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Average Bear posted:

You should never take religious or humanist as byz.

This isn't correct

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

What's a good first military idea to take as Brandenburg? I've absorbed Pom, Meck, a couple of German minors, Bohemia's Saxon provinces, and a couple of Teutonic provinces. The enemies looming are Poland-Lithuania and maybe Ottomans if they go after my allies Hungary or Austria.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Brandenburg frankly doesn't need a military idea set off the bat, but Offensive if you want to go full kill mode.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

This isn't correct

Ehhh Religious is completely overkill and Humanist is nice but unnecessary.

Keep in mind that you can easily grab bonus missionaries from conquering Jerusalem, Mecca, and Rome, and with your NIs you can convert most provinces in 15mo or less and religious centers like Rome or Mecca in a couple years with an Inquisitor adviser. The only reason to take Religious would be for the CB, you get bonkers conversion, tolerance, and prestige from NIs and modifiers.

I could see Humanist working better with a Byzantium not starting out as Venice, but with that setup you're already more tolerant of off-cultures (republican tolerance) and you care even less about the tax income loss from Patriarch Authority.

Reminder of the penalties of off-culture vs. Patriarch Authority bonuses:

Off-culture (off-culture republic) / max PA
-33% tax (-23% tax) / -33% tax
-33% manpower (-23% manpower) / +33% manpower
+2 RR (+1.5 RR) / -3 RR

As you can see, PA completely offsets the manpower and revolt risk from off-culture, and with republics it's even better as they have lower off-culture penalties in the first place. Of course it tanks your tax, but especially as Venice -> Byzantium you should give zero fucks about tax and be raking in mad trade income.

Humanist is an excellent idea group all-around, i just find it's sup-optimal for most tryhard games right now. It's pretty easy to manage revolts with the new rebel system and autonomy, so as long as you have some cash and manpower to put down the odd rebellion who gives a gently caress about having a bunch of accepted cultures?

Edit: seriously tax is poo poo, take Admin and if you started as Venice take Plutocratic too for +25-35% Goods Produced depending on if you have the Guilds in power.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 13, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Brandenburg frankly doesn't need a military idea set off the bat, but Offensive if you want to go full kill mode.

It'd be my second idea set. Right now I don't have the good national ideas online, and my two most likely enemies, Poland-Lith and Emperor Bohemia, both have a numbers edge. Should I try and stack troop bonuses/quantity to take them on one-on-one, or go defensive and plan to hold out until Hungary/Austria/France arrives to save the day?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Smiling Knight posted:

What's a good first military idea to take as Brandenburg? I've absorbed Pom, Meck, a couple of German minors, Bohemia's Saxon provinces, and a couple of Teutonic provinces. The enemies looming are Poland-Lithuania and maybe Ottomans if they go after my allies Hungary or Austria.

If I'm in a position not to worry about Quantity (which owns) for Brandenburg, I'd go offensive -> defensive -> quality. You'll have tremendous army tradition with god generals. And your discipline will be through the roof. Brandenburg/Prussia is like somebody used the nation designer and put a military powerhouse in the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smiling Knight posted:

It'd be my second idea set. Right now I don't have the good national ideas online, and my two most likely enemies, Poland-Lith and Emperor Bohemia, both have a numbers edge. Should I try and stack troop bonuses/quantity to take them on one-on-one, or go defensive and plan to hold out until Hungary/Austria/France arrives to save the day?

Here are my quick thoughts on military ideas, this is a lot of personal opinion so your mileage may vary:

Aristocratic: weirdo hipster pick, not very strong in actual military bonuses but can be good for cavalry-happy nations and in particular those stuck at Duke rank (so the +1 diplomat and leader are very handy)
Plutocratic: also not very strong in straight up military strength, but has a lot of trade stuff. Very strong overall, just the bastard child of Trade.
Offensive: I like it later in the game, it doesn't give you any longevity or strategic depth and the "filler" parts are kinda crap. Recruitment time, prestige from battles, +20% forcelimits, morale recovery, mehhhh. If you have the manpower pool and cash to back it up, a very strong pick. If you're starving for manpower and find yourself having trouble fighting drawn out wars, not going to help as much. Siege Ability is sleeper OP.
Defensive: my favorite first pick and imo most well-rounded. Army Tradition buffs your leader stats as well as morale and other things, Morale is hugely important if you don't have another good bonus for it from religion or NIs. Leader maneuver also increases reinforce speed by +10% per point, so in total you have a mix of combat bonuses, -10% discount to fort and army maintenance, less attrition, and stronger forts.
Quality: similar to Offensive, doesn't help you with strategic depth or longevity, it's just straight up combat bonuses. The difference here is you also get cool naval stuff. Like Offensive I usually pick it later once I have the manpower and fortresses to back it up.
Quantity: does what it says. Keep in mind that it's not actually going to do you much good if you're already poor. The discounts aren't that huge, so more of a good pick when you have some extra income to fund an enlarged army. Also really good for colonizers, top pick there.
Naval: don't, build more heavies.

Edit:

offensive = fight really hard
defensive = fight hard, fight longer
quality = fight hard, also boats
quantity = all the dudes to fight, forever

Edit2: I almost always pick Defensive or Quantity first because I find stamina and strategic depth more important than raw battle strength early on

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 13, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The Religious CB is insanely good given your location, extra missionary strength is good, extra tolerance true is good, stability cost is nice, and the events and policies are great. Religious is one of the better idea groups in the game, unless you're Sunni Najd or something

Anyway how long does patriarch authority take to max out this patch? I've been making Protestant into a poor man's Orthodox with the church aspects but the manpower bonus is really incredible

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

Anyway how long does patriarch authority take to max out this patch? I've been making Protestant into a poor man's Orthodox with the church aspects but the manpower bonus is really incredible

Maybe 100-150 years for most? As Byzantium you get a bunch of missions for reconquering and converting old bits of the ERE that give a ton of PA so it's really easy to max out quickly as them.

Edit: it seems the events are on about a 5 year timer, and most give +5 PA or some other reward. So about a century, faster if you have some events or missions that grant it. Of course once you reach maximum or near-max PA you can just take the rewards whenever and it's awesome, at that point 5 PA doesn't matter at all.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 13, 2015

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Okay! Got my Chinese merchant republic custom nation all set up, time to start pulling money out of Canton and Japan and see how it --

< :mad: ..|.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

drat near all of them are great. Defensive is probably the best, since it gives you +! Army Tradition and +15% morale right off the bat. The other bonuses are kinda underwhelming. Offensive is amazing if only for +20 Siege Ability. Siege Ability is the best loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cynic Jester posted:

+Coring cost in an awful mechanic. It doesn't do anything unless you've already lost. Not "Oh, it might help you not lose" but straight up does nothing until you've lost, and then, its only purpose is to spite whomever won. In most large multiplayer games I've seen, if someone grab it, they'll get murdered asap by all their neighbors as no one wants them to spread their toxic cores. It's completely awful and has no redeeming value outside of making certain areas of the map less attractive to expand into in single player.

My impression is that it does factor in the AI's calculations of whether to attack you or not, though that's a pretty marginal benefit (if it even exists?).

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Okay! Got my Chinese merchant republic custom nation all set up, time to start pulling money out of Canton and Japan and see how it --

< :mad: ..|.

What am I looking at, here?

• Locked thread