Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

AweStriker posted:

How so? Keep in mind that Wizards use Gram attacks in the Law phase.

I'm looking at their VIT charts. His VIT stays high for a while before dropping off, while the rest of them start plummeting immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, that is bullshit. Gotta love that level 1 knight, though. Cheese :downs:

The darkness dagger effect seems kind of... dickish. I mean, you obviously can take advantage of it if you want, but it seems like it'd be a lot easier to just... hit a light-type enemy with a darkness attack and be done with it.

Neat looking boss, anyway.

As for the wizards, Rolf is a good name, a name you can trust.

Oh, and the bit on Gieche is unformatted, unlike the other characters.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Another vote for Rolf, becuase oh my those growths on the rest are a mess. (The whole business with Johan constantly needing more Vitality throws this into view, even though he's something of an extreme case.)

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
As of right now we have a tie going! I'm going to try to have the next video up tomorrow (no promises). If you haven't voted yet, hop to it! Every vote counts!

vilkacis posted:

Wow, that is bullshit. Gotta love that level 1 knight, though. Cheese :downs:

The darkness dagger effect seems kind of... dickish. I mean, you obviously can take advantage of it if you want, but it seems like it'd be a lot easier to just... hit a light-type enemy with a darkness attack and be done with it.

Neat looking boss, anyway.

As for the wizards, Rolf is a good name, a name you can trust.

Oh, and the bit on Gieche is unformatted, unlike the other characters.

Yeah the darkness affinity attribute thing is kind of strange, but the end result is you can change a monster's affinity on command. There are often times when monsters of different affinity are on the same field and near each other, so it can be a little hard to balance their weaknesses with your limited knights and inventory. So if you can consolidate their affinities to darkness, you could exploit it by using sanctity weapons for your other inventory slots. At least in theory, I think.

Good catch on the formatting error, fixed now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We actually have a three-way tie going. I will break that by voting for Freiber (Why are people spelling his name "Freiben"?).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Glad I found this thread again in time for you to show off the game's peak bullshit. I don't believe for a second anyone found that without looking it up/data mining the game. Maybe--MAYBE--someone broke it by accident, but waiting around for it to respawn and then breaking it again? No.

Anyway, I vote for none of the above wizards, as I am heavily biased towards an upcoming recruit. (Also they're garbage during the Law phase, so a high Law Index doesn't mean much.) Have we picked a permanent Lance Knight? Because Gudrun gets crazy strong if you get her caught up (which takes like, 2-3 souls, tops).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Glad I found this thread again in time for you to show off the game's peak bullshit. I don't believe for a second anyone found that without looking it up/data mining the game. Maybe--MAYBE--someone broke it by accident, but waiting around for it to respawn and then breaking it again? No.

Anyway, I vote for none of the above wizards, as I am heavily biased towards an upcoming recruit. (Also they're garbage during the Law phase, so a high Law Index doesn't mean much.) Have we picked a permanent Lance Knight? Because Gudrun gets crazy strong if you get her caught up (which takes like, 2-3 souls, tops).

Our permanent Lance Knight is Alonso.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why are people spelling his name "Freiben"?

This has been bothering me as well.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

AweStriker posted:

Our permanent Lance Knight is Alonso.
Dang. I weep just thinking about all those cheeses going unloved.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 23.5: The Guardian of the Chamber:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8TEcjpgeFQ
:siren:

Knights we recruited last time

Gudrun H. Mison of the 5th Order

”I try every day to be a better knight than I was yesterday!”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com say this of Gudrun:
”An optimistic, cheerful, young lady striving to better herself as a knight. She is of small stature and her armor is too large for her frame, but she tries her hardest.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says:
Beloved Lady
“She is cheery and polite, and although she is not very skilled in battle, she works hard to improve. Gudrun has a very difficult time telling Neredo and Atkasia apart, and as a result, she is not well-liked by either of them. She looks upon Baltar like a father, and while she adores cheese, she will not abide milk.”

Pictured: Gudrun reporting in to Baltar during the cutscene before Scene 3. Once again, the topic is the theft of the King’s soul, but the knights only know something was taken from the castle.

Ganosh Gaia Travis of the 1st Order

”Prince Nordich is still a child at heart…”
Class: Archer
Atlus.com say this of Ganosh:
”Ganosh’s main charge was to watch over Prince Norich. As such, he regards him like a child, and is looked up to as a father in return.”
Legendary Hunter
“For an Archer, he is very well built. He has been charged with the care of the Prince, and as such, he is loyal to both the King and his son. In fact, despite Prince Nordich’s generally selfish ways, Ganosh is viewed as somewhat of a father figure. Recently, Ganosh, has begun suspecting that either Yelma or Cardinal Capehorn has been corrupting the Prince.”

Ganosh's response to the king's question "Has the loss of his fiancee really hit the prince hard?"

:siren:Voting results!:siren:
My count is:

Freiber: 4
Baltar: 2
Rolf:3
None:1

It was a tight vote, but Freiber edges out the competition! He is now our permanent Wizard. All other wizards are subject to Transoul.

Rangpur posted:

Dang. I weep just thinking about all those cheeses going unloved.

Well to be honest, I was planning to have a round of voting for a second string Warrior, to give some relief to Johann and share the Vitality costs. I have no problems doing a whole round of second stringers if people are interested.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

The reason why you didn't do full damage was because Scoppio was partially of Alonso, as seen by the bottom screen. That means that the attack missed the part that was still on him, reducing the total damage.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Level 93, and he summons volcanoes. That's some boss! Might have been interesting to see what he could pull off if he wasn't chained to a big-rear end rock and had a big chunk of metal through his head... The new knight looked pretty cool, too.

...Also I feel vaguely stupid because I didn't immediately go like "oh, it's that thing" and more like "I guess we'll find out what that is later". :saddowns:

Rangpur posted:

I don't believe for a second anyone found that without looking it up/data mining the game. Maybe--MAYBE--someone broke it by accident, but waiting around for it to respawn and then breaking it again? No.

Eh, if someone did find the thing to begin with, I don't think it's too unlikely that they'd try to respawn it. By now, it's pretty obvious that breakable things can come back with more goodies in them.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Well to be honest, I was planning to have a round of voting for a second string Warrior, to give some relief to Johann and share the Vitality costs. I have no problems doing a whole round of second stringers if people are interested.

I was just about to ask if there was a reason we couldn't have more than one Chosen Knight for each profession.

Because that cheese obsession amuses me to no end. All the previous knights are like, oh, a memento from my family / the country I died for / otherwise important stuff, and then you've got... Oh, you're giving me cheese? MY UNLIFE IS YOURS.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I was already interested. After seeing that Long-Haired Officer wizard in one of the cutscenes, more so.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 24: Assault on the Tomb:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uujg9EUJlFE

KNIGHT WE RECRUITED LAST TIME:
Granitz S. Dinatog of the 9th Order

”These monsters were made to…protect? That cannot be the truth of it.”
Class: Archer
Atlus.com say this of Granitz:
”A general of few words, he is renowned as the kindgom’s finest archer. He can often be found drinking with Morozof, though he is no match for him in that undertaking.”
Gale Marksman
“As the General of the 9th Order, Granitz is known for his exceptional skill with a bow and arrow. He is also known for his stern expression. There are rumors circulating that General Granitz has not laughed in years! He treats Oryze like a daughter, and he is close friends with Morozof, who drinks him under the table regularly.”

BOSS FIGHT FROM LAST TIME
SCOPPIO THE HIDEOUS or SCOPPIO THE TITAN

*Sorry for the bad quality of this picture, I couldn't find a decent one online so I took a photo of my Tome of Lost Souls

Game Designer Ito posted:

We Decided he needed to look imposing, since even Zolgonark regards him as dangerous. He had to look like an unstoppable force who isn’t at all affected by being pierced with an iron stake or chained down.

Illustrator Kiyuduki posted:

Initially, we colored him sharply to show he was a guardian of some sort, and we made him just big enough to hold a weapon. However, we realized it’d be strange for a prisoner to be holding a weapon, so we switched directions entirely and redesigned him as some horrendous creature that’s been sealed away. To put it into perspective, in his original designs, he was a cute, little monster, not much bigger than one of the pillars on this guy’s back!

We'll have a vote for second string warrior soon, and after that, we'll go down the list and fill in second stringers of the rest of the classes.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It doesn't look like you need to stop the monster reels from left to right when you're choosing what enemies will appear in each round. In situations like the one this video where you need a specific monster, you might consider saving the reel with that monster on it for last, so that it's slower and easier to time.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

When characters are friends with each other, they give better boosts when transouling, They also give unique quotes when transouling into their friend or receiving the friend's soul. While some friends work for both receiving and giving souls, other friends only work one way - in this case, Johann gained more when Rolf was transouled into him, but Rolf would not have gained the bonus if Johann was transouled into him. You can tell by the dialouge - Rolf said his generic death line, but Johann said something unique to the situation.

Of course, all of this is recorded in the pause talk section of the PSP version, so you need to kill off your guys to fill it out :negative:.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Man, when Leonil said "Here you are.....you're something special, aren't you?", my brain just filled in "...I like killing special things. :getin:"

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I'm curious, how much are you messing with the weapon crafting/enhancing stuff at this point in the game? Is it just too fussy to manage, taking into account Rush effects, etc.?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

For me I usually don't bother to. The game discourages going for +9 in weapons considering that fusing a weapon of +2 to a weapon of +4 ends with a lower value weapon. The best weapons then are related to nuking bosses and the standard weapons are fused for high durability.

Higher difficulties enforce this mindset of refusing to upgrade weapons when you can't grind weapons in the side stages.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Felinoid posted:

Man, when Leonil said "Here you are.....you're something special, aren't you?", my brain just filled in "...I like killing special things. :getin:"

I felt the same. I disagree with Harold on him saying "He's here..." or whatever in fear, he seemed excited. The strongest prey has arrived. Only, like the narration states, the hunter and prey have been switched around. And he's going to get so killed. Though I honestly hope he doesn't, since I expected a dual-boss battle with Aquila, fighting them separately is not as cool.

Also Nina's Transoul quote just broke my heart. She just wants to be useful and accepts disappearing for that sake. Poor girl. Poor everyone, really. I couldn't do this at all, I'm the kind of person who impulsively resets on Fire Emblem if even the least useful of characters bites it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

BlazeEmblem posted:

Of course, all of this is recorded in the pause talk section of the PSP version, so you need to kill off your guys to fill it out :negative:.

That's kind of hilariously dickish. I can only approve since I don't actually have to play it for myself.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I felt the same. I disagree with Harold on him saying "He's here..." or whatever in fear, he seemed excited.

Likewise. That grin doesn't help much either. It's not an "oh gently caress I'm screwed" expression, it's a "gently caress yeah, some action" one. Looking forward to the fight with him.

e: Oh yeah, and given the amount of Norse references in the game, I'd guess that the castle is supposed to be Avent-heim, as in Muspelheim or Jotunheim.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

vilkacis posted:

That's kind of hilariously dickish. I can only approve since I don't actually have to play it for myself.

It gets better.

Things that are included in the Talk Collection:
All of their pause talks (and there are a lot for each person)
What they say when they get their item
Their phrase when recruiting them at the end of the stage
What they say when they run out of vitality
What they say when you exile them
Giving their soul in transoul
Receiving a transoul
Giving/receiving a transoul when it is to/from a friend (at least it gives the friends name here)
leveling up (each person has 2-4 quotes)

There is also stuff for the NPCs, generic enemies, and bosses.

For example, I have 12 dialogues from Scoppio - 9 are generic moans, and 3 have him saying something - "I... I am...", "I..." and "Y-You"

My current high for the talk collection is Yggdra, who has 29 conversations, all of them from pause talks.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

AweStriker posted:

It doesn't look like you need to stop the monster reels from left to right when you're choosing what enemies will appear in each round. In situations like the one this video where you need a specific monster, you might consider saving the reel with that monster on it for last, so that it's slower and easier to time.

Yeah, there's a big drop in speed once you pick the first monster, and the others after reduce the speed more. I usually don't bother worrying about it unless the final monster is in the first column. I haven't gotten (totally) burned yet...but you are right, that is the less stupid way to do it.

BlazeEmblem posted:

When characters are friends with each other, they give better boosts when transouling, They also give unique quotes when transouling into their friend or receiving the friend's soul. While some friends work for both receiving and giving souls, other friends only work one way - in this case, Johann gained more when Rolf was transouled into him, but Rolf would not have gained the bonus if Johann was transouled into him. You can tell by the dialouge - Rolf said his generic death line, but Johann said something unique to the situation.

It gives the impression of unrequited fondness, doesn't it?

Man Dancer posted:

I'm curious, how much are you messing with the weapon crafting/enhancing stuff at this point in the game? Is it just too fussy to manage, taking into account Rush effects, etc.?

I really only do light cleanup, like stacking similar items. If I have two of the same weapon separated by a level or two of upgrade, I'll improve the lower one so I can stack them, if I think it will survive the upgrade process. I don't really seek out upgrades for reasons mentioned and also the fact that it adds to the charge time of the weapon. However, a while back we had people call out weapons they wanted to see upgraded with the intention of bringing more rush count effects into the game. We'll get back to doing that once we fill out our roster.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I felt the same. I disagree with Harold on him saying "He's here..." or whatever in fear, he seemed excited. The strongest prey has arrived. Only, like the narration states, the hunter and prey have been switched around. And he's going to get so killed. Though I honestly hope he doesn't, since I expected a dual-boss battle with Aquila, fighting them separately is not as cool.

I wasn't trying to imply we was afraid, but I thought the way the scene was set up, he came off...I dunno, sober about the situation, I guess. But yeah, the crazy grin he has makes it hard to defend that. Does anyone else get the impression that male pattern baldness is going to hit him hard?

quote:

Also Nina's Transoul quote just broke my heart. She just wants to be useful and accepts disappearing for that sake. Poor girl. Poor everyone, really. I couldn't do this at all, I'm the kind of person who impulsively resets on Fire Emblem if even the least useful of characters bites it.

After you do a like 10 or so transouls, your heart hardens and you don't feel it as much :smith:

vilkacis posted:

e: Oh yeah, and given the amount of Norse references in the game, I'd guess that the castle is supposed to be Avent-heim, as in Muspelheim or Jotunheim.

That's really interesting to me. I played around with the idea of doing a short bonus video pointing out some of the references, but I'm quite ignorant of Norse mythology. Off the top of my head, the only ones I've caught are...uh...Gungnir...Garm...Asgard...uh...

BlazeEmblem posted:

For example, I have 12 dialogues from Scoppio - 9 are generic moans, and 3 have him saying something - "I... I am...", "I..." and "Y-You"

I wish we had more backstory on Scoppio...was he always a mindless, drooling beast, or did Zolgonark give him a lobotomy with that iron cross?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I wish we had more backstory on Scoppio...was he always a mindless, drooling beast, or did Zolgonark give him a lobotomy with that iron cross?

You're actually even making an assumption there. For all we know he's still very smart, and the spike only damaged the language center. Or perhaps he's fluent in 15 different monster languages, but has only begun to learn the local human language in the days/weeks/whatever since he was transported here (most of it in imprisoned seclusion, at that). Remember all those monster intros where it translates from growls? He could be spouting poetry at us and we'd never know.

E: Dapper monsters are fun. :allears:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And he meets his end to a spirit ball and his ghost army

To be fair dying while fighting a literal army of vengeful specters in a room of decadent treasure is a pretty metal day to go.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

HaroldofTheRock posted:

That's really interesting to me. I played around with the idea of doing a short bonus video pointing out some of the references, but I'm quite ignorant of Norse mythology. Off the top of my head, the only ones I've caught are...uh...Gungnir...Garm...Asgard...uh...

That, and What'sherface is supposedly a valkyrie. But really, the whole Asgard bit is the big one.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Does anyone else get the impression that male pattern baldness is going to hit him hard?

Male pattern baldness is going to have to get in line. :black101:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Annointed posted:

And he meets his end to a spirit ball and his ghost army

To be fair dying while fighting a literal army of vengeful specters in a room of decadent treasure is a pretty metal day to go.

The Arbitrator is rather like a Katamari, isn't it? And as far as "balance between the 3 worlds" goes it has a pretty fair mechanic; the only reason it's getting so strong is because there's so many ghosts to pick up. If the underworld wasn't so successful at wiping everyone out it wouldn't be getting countered so hard.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:Update: Scene 25: The Heart Astray. Clash with the Gladiator Leonil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLEZTZa_T4I

Knights we recruited last time:
Minotta Y. Irving 9th Order

”Don’t remind me of the Cardinal! Don’t even speak his name!”
Class: Hermit
Atlus.com say this of Minotta:
”A knight who is usually quiet and kind, but is to be feared when her temper ignites. She keeps the two middle-aged delinquents in her order in line.”
Emerald Observer
“She is very serious about her duties and takes it upon herself to act as a big sister to her peers. Although she is usually calm and composed, Minotta has been known to become so heatedly angry that her temper is legendary among the other knights. She is a very fast learner and keen observer, and she despises Cardinal Capehorn with every fiber of her being. She takes special care to watch over Anette and care for her.”

Theonil L. Algren 9th Order

”Is Caline acting like a baby again?”
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com say this of Theonil:
”A laid-back knight with an easy-going attitude. Friendly and approachable, he is also innocent and child-like at times.”
Lackadaisical Cloud
“Somewhat of a lazy oaf, Theonil spends most of his days eating Gert’s cooking, sleeping, and goofing off. This includes days in which he has actual duties to perform. The worries of the kingdom are of no concern to him, and he would rather spend time being unproductive with Jungwil and Josef. Although Theonil gets along with Cornela, his true feelings are toward Caline.”
Dunno if this is relevant

Felinoid posted:

You're actually even making an assumption there. For all we know he's still very smart, and the spike only damaged the language center. Or perhaps he's fluent in 15 different monster languages, but has only begun to learn the local human language in the days/weeks/whatever since he was transported here (most of it in imprisoned seclusion, at that). Remember all those monster intros where it translates from growls? He could be spouting poetry at us and we'd never know.

E: Dapper monsters are fun. :allears:

:lol::lol: You're right, that could've been the situation...and while the Wisp was beating him down, Scoppio was desperately trying to find the human words to say "Please stop"

FAT BATMAN posted:

The Arbitrator is rather like a Katamari, isn't it? And as far as "balance between the 3 worlds" goes it has a pretty fair mechanic; the only reason it's getting so strong is because there's so many ghosts to pick up. If the underworld wasn't so successful at wiping everyone out it wouldn't be getting countered so hard.

I've never thought of it that way...there are constant mentions of "if the Wisp regains its full power, lookout!" Maybe leaving a trail of bodies wasn't such a good idea huh?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Extra video:
:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPE4-kro46o

Just a little video showing all of Leonil's moves (he has quite a few).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, that's an impressive boss. All those swords! Give the Levin Sword back, they don't grow on trees. Particularly that last super. Good to see he wasn't just a punk - he had some serious skill to back it up. And I guess it was a happy ending for him as well.

I noticed that the old wizard seems to clearly recognize the wisp. That's kind of interesting. Though I suppose he might just have been listening to the boss conversation. :v:

...I liked both the new recruits. Shame they're going to be fusion fodder in the future.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can agree with Theonil's attitude towards life. Even if he has none left to live.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

vilkacis posted:

...I liked both the new recruits. Shame they're going to be fusion fodder in the future.

I also like both our new recruits. Morozof in particular I feel would make a good second-string Wizard...

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

AweStriker posted:

I also like both our new recruits. Morozof in particular I feel would make a good second-string Wizard...
Certainly that's my vote; he's the later recruit I planned to vote in for permanent Wiz Biz. He's pretty strong, too, and comes at a high level. But if I'm being honest, it's all about that amazing hat. Which I see now if actually 3 separate hats stapled together. Dude takes his wizarding rep seriously.

Leonil is probably my favorite boss fight. There's a later battle I enjoy revisiting more, but that's because of the music. Lots of variety in attacks, not too many things to break... He strikes the right balance between being a challenge, and being bullshit. Unlike, oh, say, the next boss fight.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
We now have a permanent Knight for each class. However, there are some good Knights in our ranks that deserve to stick around, and they can help our main Knights conserve a little Vitality by subbing in.

:siren:We are going to vote on second stringers:siren:

Our first order of business is to find another Warrior who can help Johann with the item smashing duties, and relieve him a little of the Vitality burden. Here is the usual spiel about voting:

quote:

Click here for an explanation of the vitality growth charts:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680784&userid=37611&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post441749251

Reading that is optional, though, because:

We can't get screwed by a bad pick. I'm only playing on Normal; we have room for error. If by some act of god I find myself in a corner, there is always going to be another knight I just recruited and can use. So really, I want us to pick our knight by his/her character attributes. Pick the one you want to see more Pause Talks from, or the one with the portrait you like best, or flip a coin.

:siren:One new consideration you might want to take into account::siren:
You might want to make sure our new Knight is a different elemental affinity than our permanent one. The elemental affinity determines which element weapon that knight can overcharge. So picking a knight with a different affinity than our main knight will provide a little variety, and give me a few more options with battles.

So mull that over! Or…don’t worry about it. It really doesn’t matter, vote however you want. Go ahead and see if I care. (It actually isn't even an issue this vote :v:)

Having said that, let’s look at our contestants:

Our permanent Warrior is Johann, Elemental Affinity: Neutral

Firenz Hanover of the 11th order

“Consume the drink, but don’t let the drink consume you!”
Atlus.com says this of Firenz:
“An able-bodied soldier known to frequent the city’s bars. He’s seen much of the world, giving him an empathetic heart. He cares for many people.”
Trusty Blade
“He has a bit of a sensitive side and loves to work with children. Firenz can always find the good qualities in people, and that has helped him make many friends. When he has free time, he drinks with Bonn, but he will never admit to actually being drunk…”

Firenz doling out advice to Dreyuss

Bailey Y. Fender

"So I wasn't cut out for this after all..."
Atlus.com says this of Bailey:
“He joins the Knights on an impulse, as though to spite his frail body. He comes to regret it, however, as he discovers just how inexperienced he is.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Curious Prodigy
"He is a rash and foolhardy young man who is quite immature. He became a knight solely because he thought it would afford him more opportunities to see the world, but now he has begun to regret that decision. He can sense how similar his life is to Colt's."

Bailey talking about the appearance of the Tiamats

Josef Jarvis Hertz of the 2nd Order

Atlus.com says this of Gieche:
No entry!
Stone Arm
“He is a grizzled veteran who has fought in countless battles, but somehow, Josef always manages to have a smile on his face. Because he constantly jokes around with his peers, he is frequently scolded by Minotta. However, when it is time for battle, he becomes a completely different person. Josef takes combat seriously, and his leadership is an asset to the order. He often worries about his niece Aura, who is growing up in a strict household.”

Josef, asking his fellow knights about Gunther, who was corrupted at this point

Fritz Rupio Oh Dayan of the 9th Order

”The only way to win a war is with a smile.”
Atlus.com say this of Fritz:
”A man who puts on a gruff exterior, but is in truth full of cheer and optimism. He takes it upon himself to entertain his comrades.”
Barreling Ox
“He is a gruff man with a very unrefined vocabulary. Deep down, Fritz is genuinely kindhearted and loyal. Before becoming a knight, he used to deliver packages with Gilder. He holds Rolf in very high regard, and he is often worried about Cornela.”

Fritz, at the watchtower just before the Western Tower fell

Theonil L. Algren of the 9th Order

”Is Caline acting like a baby again?”
Atlus.com say this of Theonil:
”A laid-back knight with an easy-going attitude. Friendly and approachable, he is also innocent and child-like at times.”
Lackadaisical Cloud
“Somewhat of a lazy oaf, Theonil spends most of his days eating Gert’s cooking, sleeping, and goofing off. This includes days in which he has actual duties to perform. The worries of the kingdom are of no concern to him, and he would rather spend time being unproductive with Jungwil and Josef. Although Theonil gets along with Cornela, his true feelings are toward Caline.”
Dunno if this is relevant Dunno if this is relevant

Those are our available, surviving Warriors. We’re going to pick a second string Hermit, too.

Our permanent Hermit is Moira, Elemental Affinity: Ice

Minotta Y. Irving of the 9th Order

”Don’t remind me of the Cardinal! Don’t even speak his name!”
Atlus.com say this of Minotta:
”A knight who is usually quiet and kind, but is to be feared when her temper ignites. She keeps the two middle-aged delinquents in her order in line.”
Emerald Observer
“She is very serious about her duties and takes it upon herself to act as a big sister to her peers. Although she is usually calm and composed, Minotta has been known to become so heatedly angry that her temper is legendary among the other knights. She is a very fast learner and keen observer, and she despises Cardinal Capehorn with every fiber of her being. She takes special care to watch over Anette and care for her.”

Frances Mervyl of the 11th Order

“No matter where I go, I don’t fit in…”
Atlus.com says this of Frances:
“A good friend of Roslip, Frances feels lonely having to work so far away from her. She lacks confidence, and depends on others to make it through the day.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Shadow Spirit
"The youngest of seven sisters, she has very low confidence in herself and derives most of her strength and happiness from those around her. Frances is brokenhearted that she and her friend Roslip are not serving in the same order. Fortunately, she can depend on Erica to help her make it through the day."

Frances is referring to the Tiamats being pressured by the kingdom

Beatrix Bell Noran of the 1st Order

”Please, pay me no need.”
Atlus.com say this of Beatrix:
”A woman who puts her loyalty to the king before all else, even social interaction. She is often seen as a cold woman, bearing only the most necessary of relationships.”
Wrath of Night
“In a cold and grim twist of fate, she was separated from her brother, Hustrev, at a very young age. She knows of his existence, but does not know whether he is dead or alive. Though she is exceptionally talented, she is fairly closed off and introverted. To her, there is nothing more important than accomplishing the mission.”

Beatrix in response to the king, who had just said "Uh oh Capehorn wants to see me, better hurry back to the castle". This was the day before the tragedy

Ok guys, those are our options. Here are the rules, :siren:updated:siren:

Two votes per poster. One for a Warrior, one for a Hermit.
Put your votes in bold please
You can vote for "I don't like these warriors/hermits, let's wait until we recruit more"
In the event of a tie or if "I don't like these warriors/hermits" wins, we will table the vote until the next warrior or hermit is recruited, and try again. Any warrior/hermit that received a vote will be spared from Transoul until the next vote.
The polls close next time I post a video. So in a couple days, hopefully!

Good luck to our contestants! Any knight that does not make the cut will be subject to Transoul.

Rangpur posted:

Certainly that's my vote; he's the later recruit I planned to vote in for permanent Wiz Biz. He's pretty strong, too, and comes at a high level. But if I'm being honest, it's all about that amazing hat. Which I see now if actually 3 separate hats stapled together. Dude takes his wizarding rep seriously.

Leonil is probably my favorite boss fight. There's a later battle I enjoy revisiting more, but that's because of the music. Lots of variety in attacks, not too many things to break... He strikes the right balance between being a challenge, and being bullshit. Unlike, oh, say, the next boss fight.

Yeah Morozof is Wizard as gently caress

Hopefully he will survive long enough to be around for the next wizard vote! he will

I'm definitely looking forward to the next boss fight -- best music in the game imo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I thought Morozov looked cool in-game but that high-res art of his face only proves that the in-game portrait is an understatement of how awesome he looks. Definitely my Wizard vote once we get to that.

Meanwhile, Theonil is my vote for knight, because I like the way he lives his life. Wish I could do the same. Meanwhile, Frances should work as a Hermit.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll put in my votes for Josef for Warrior and Minotta for Hermit.

Here's my thought process:
Firenz and Bailey both have a low starting level, and that causes problems with weapon selection, so I passed them over immediately.
Fritz has low base Vitality and low immediate Vitality growth.
That leaves Josef and Theonil; out of those two I like Josef's visual design better, plus he has a very high Chaos index.

On the Hermit side, Beatrix's visual design is really nice but her Chaos index is super low, which is a downside given Hermit Law attacks' awkward diagonal range (and you have deal with status effects).
Frances' balanced indices make her fairly versatile, but her level, base vitality, and vitality growth are all low! Being cute does not make up for this.
Minotta's higher Chaos index and manageable Vitality growth make her the best option of the three I think.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Like always, I am voting based on Vit charts, as the better the chart, the less transouls are needed for vitality.

So Fritz and Frances.

Edit: I've been playing through the PSP version again, and I just got to chapter 19. In the DS game, an area was referred to as Riviera in the opening narration, but has been changed to Lanaia in the PSP version. So yes, it was a translation error.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 18, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have any strong feelings about these warriors but I think we should make it our mission to turn Frances into a huge badass, because we can.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Dang we got some low voter turnout here! I'm hoping to have the next video up tomorrow, if you want to help choose our next Warrior or Hermit, hop to it!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Edit: I've been playing through the PSP version again, and I just got to chapter 19. In the DS game, an area was referred to as Riviera in the opening narration, but has been changed to Lanaia in the PSP version. So yes, it was a translation error.

Ah good job Atlus. I was wondering, in the PSP version, does Maria say this:

because I assume that was an error, too?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Dang we got some low voter turnout here! I'm hoping to have the next video up tomorrow, if you want to help choose our next Warrior or Hermit, hop to it!

Ah good job Atlus. I was wondering, in the PSP version, does Maria say this:

because I assume that was an error, too?

She still says it. She also says, in another pause talk "If only I had the diviner, it would all be solved..."

They can't fix everything. And yes, it is an error, because only the Grim Angels have Diviners, and she is definitely not one of them.

Altus loves making these minor changes in the PSP versions, but only one or two per game. In Riviera, they changed a tome's name to keep it consistent with a Yggdra Union character (although, there is no connection between the two, they just have the same name); and in Yggdra Union, they changed the war at the end of the C ending to "The Trial", instead of calling it Ragnarok, like in the GBA version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like the hermit has been decided. As for the warrior, I'll just toss a vote towards Fritz and let the voting finish.

• Locked thread