Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

paradoxGentleman posted:

The spectrals cannot leave Mayview because of the barrier, but Max's Dad suggested going to visit wherever they were before going there, and Max has no valid excuse to say no. There is a whole spirit-related association which Spencer is a part of, but we don't know what do they want nor what their plans are. There is another magical association which the first one dislikes but we know even less about them. There's Forge. There is that one spirit who possessed Max that Doorman knows about.

There are actually rather a lot of plot threads left hanging, and although I am enjoying this arc I wouldn't mind moving along and exploring those.

But this is a problem with all webcomics as a medium that you do not catch after they are finished, and it's saying something that my biggest complaint about this comis is that I want more of it.

Well, topic of the organizations, I'm pretty sure Hijack is involved with one of them. He has to have a reason for wanting to infiltrate the school, after all; I'm betting this is going to lead into that sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

I was joking. 3 updates/week is the Gunnerkirgg Court schedule, and people still bitch in that thread about slow chapters sometimes. :ssh:

Well maybe if he updated five times a week like SSSS

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Unless you're uploaded chapters a day, no uploading speed is fast enough for people. This is why when people start watching a TV show they try to then watch more episodes instead of say, saving the next one for two weeks later.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm still hype for hitball, and as long as I am, it hasn't been going on too long.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-69

that's my wife!!!!!!!!

Last panel: Forge or broken god? I'm thinking Forge

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 13, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm liking this development of begrudgingly respect between Max and Johnny.

Man, how pissed would Isaac be if Johnny got in good with the Activity Club before he did? Pissed enough for a face-heel turn, maybe?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Forget Isaac, what about Suzy?

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Splicer posted:

Last panel: Forge or broken god? I'm thinking Forge

Well, Forge speaks in that old language, and the broken god did his weird two-voice thing last time he spoke (plus, Max isn't anywhere near his bat).
Could it be that myterious follower who later warned Max from the ceiling? Assuming it's the same character, I mean.
Actually, did anybody ever have any ideas who/what that thing was? I kinda couldn't think of anything.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My money's on PJ.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bet it's Vince McMahon.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I hate that Johnny's such a deep, interesting character because it means I have to find a way to enjoy him more than I already do.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
It's Vriska.

Probably not Vriska this time. Probably.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How pissed will Spender be when he discovers that Forge survived, made it through the barrier, and now has taken residence in one of his students?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

It'd probably PJ, all things considered.

And Johnny may be capable of hearing him.

Edit: Personally I'm still of the opinion that all of the named kid characters are going to end up as spectrals, a future I eagerly await.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 13, 2015

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Yeah, it probably is PJ. Given how he reacted when overhearing that "We had each others' backs. That's what friends do" back near the start of the chapter, and how Max was maybe about to recognize the voice when told to duck.
I had ruled him out because the mysterious silhouette's hand on the tree looked more... manly? But maybe he's just got Lefty with him, or something.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

VerdantSquire posted:

It'd probably PJ, all things considered.

And Johnny may be capable of hearing him.

Edit: Personally I'm still of the opinion that all of the named kid characters are going to end up as spectrals, a future I eagerly await.

Everyone except for Suzy, who is left wondering why everyone is hanging out with everyone but her, and what are they even doing together?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's not Forge, since the bubble is in the wrong shape. Forge's speech bubbles are jagged and poo poo.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm liking this development of begrudgingly respect between Max and Johnny.

Man, how pissed would Isaac be if Johnny got in good with the Activity Club before he did? Pissed enough for a face-heel turn, maybe?

He'd be incredibly pissed but it's never going to happen. We know Johnny is possessed by Forge a spirit Spender does not trust one iota more than the cool thunder god.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FriggenJ posted:

He'd be incredibly pissed but it's never going to happen. We know Johnny is possessed by Forge a spirit Spender does not trust one iota more than the cool thunder god.

Isaac and Johnny will form a splinter group based around Badass Justice Spirits and the importance of friendship

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Last Visible Dog posted:

Well, Forge speaks in that old language, and the broken god did his weird two-voice thing last time he spoke (plus, Max isn't anywhere near his bat).

It's been a while so I don't remember for sure, but if his bat's in the gym it's possible he's close enough. Assuming the broken god and Scrapdragon are one and the same, anyway. As anime as this has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see Max steal Isabel's ability to remotely access her spirit because he's the main character. I suspect it's going to be either a new character, or probably PJ, and either way it'll be someone Johnny notices and finally realizes poo poo be weird. Which hopefully leads into Forge Time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

Isaac and Johnny will form a splinter group based around Badass Justice Spirits and the importance of friendship

i think the activity club is going to disagree with what to do about forge and max and dimitri are going to form the splinter group

e: with johnny

oddium fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 13, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Countblanc posted:

The first rule of ethics club is never stop talking about ethics club.
(The second rule of ethics club is a multi-page monograph on the nature of authority and law in the context of a social gathering)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'm guessing broken gods because it is surrounded by the black spectral energy coming off of Max.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Who is "broken god"? Is it that supposed second spirit possessing Max? Was that ever confirmed? :confused:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Who is "broken god"? Is it that supposed second spirit possessing Max? Was that ever confirmed? :confused:

There are a lot of theories and possibilities that have been thrown around, which is a polite way of saying that everyone has no loving clue what the deal is.

I still do kind of doubt that the Scrapdragon spirit is the broken god fellow, though. The impression I got from Max's first real encounter with it was that it was more of an animal then some kind of lost deity scheming for his eventual return, since it's somewhat unlikely that some kind of mastermind spirit would act in a way that would make it better dead than alive. Of course, none of this accounts for the glaringly obvious fact that Max's magnet powers have been actively attempting to murder him at almost every opportunity ...

Keep in mind, at this point it's still entirely possible that the broken god is something completely different than normal spirit possession, which could explain why Max didn't become a spectral earlier, or why we don't see any evidence of a second spirit when he tries to communicate with Scrapdragon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i feel it's important to remember that Scrapdragon is currently a grudge

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

oddium posted:

i feel it's important to remember that Scrapdragon is currently a grudge

Bingo. The way Scrapdragon looks right now isn't its true form(:goku:). It's been warped by fear and anger into its current form, which is presumably something that the comic will deal with in the future. Personally, my theory is that it is a chunk of this fabled "broken god", and the process of breaking said god probably had a lot to do with why this piece is now a grudge. Watch it turn out the this is the chunk that represents the anger of whatever personality the "true" god had, considering it "didn't end up with the sense of humor".

Really, the only two pieces of "evidence" to suggest a second spirit is possessing Max are the double speak scene with Doorman, and the part during the train ride directly before BL makes her intro, where Max is sent flying to the ground and something lifts him up and drops him more gently, stopping him from dying. The double speak thing can very easily be Scrapdragon temporarily taking control of Max, which isn't something we've seen elsewhere, but definitely not something that's been disproven, and the part where Max doesn't die could very well be Scrapdragon saving Max because, well, Scrapdragon chose Max for possession, and there's nothing else out in the middle of nowhere that it could feed from should he die. It doesn't make sense that it wouldn't save Max, as doing so keeps its comfy situation going on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

It's been warped by fear and anger into its current form, which is presumably something that the comic will deal with in the future.

2029, to be specific.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
At the moment I think Occam's Razor can cut both way:
- Max started becoming a Spectral shortly after arriving in Mayview, and definitely before getting the bat. Look here for the first happenstance of spectral hearing.
- Scrapdragon's apparent intellect and conversational skills are quite far from those displayed during the double-talk scene.

It's equally possible that Max started becoming Spectral on his own (probably the diet obnoxiously high in citrus reason, Max looks like the kind of guy to whom life gives a lot of lemons) and that a grudge might have flashes of increased ... awareness or whatever where they are closer to their former self. I suppose Zach will keep the exact situation ambiguous as long as the plot allows.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think scrapdragon is just a scrapdragon and Max became a spectral because he is possessed by a fragment of a broken god (who is not scrapdragon)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's so heavily implied that Max became a spectral because of the circumstances of his mother's death that it's barely worth speculating over. And the bat wouldn't have called to him if he weren't a Spectral, that's not how it works, so any evidence of Max having spectral abilities before that proves nothing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prison Warden posted:

It's so heavily implied that Max became a spectral because of the circumstances of his mother's death that it's barely worth speculating over. And the bat wouldn't have called to him if he weren't a Spectral, that's not how it works, so any evidence of Max having spectral abilities before that proves nothing.

Except if he were previously a spectral he wouldn't have been able to enter Mayview, he would have splattered on the barrier. He developed the spectral traits when he was already there, while I'm pretty sure his mother died quite a while ago. (Though I could be mistaken here.) I mean, there could be some connection, but for it to have been the only cause it'd have had to be very delayed and extremely coincidental, timing-wise, versus him becoming a spectral as a result of something in Mayview.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

First, where at all does it ever say or imply that Max became a spectral sue to his mother's death? Second, you can obviously be a spectral and not have a ghost or spirit anywhere near you. See: Pretty much all of Grandpa's students. He doesn't train them in tool usage, he trains them to use their spectral energies. Isabel is perfectly capable of being a spectral without any interference from Eightfold or any other spirit, and it was even stated that she didn't have a tool or resident spirit until a few years into being a spectral, when she was given Eightfold. It's entirely possible that Max was just born with an inclination towards being a spectral, and coming into Mayview, a place that seems to be bursting with spectral energies, triggered him to develop his powers. Yeah, a spirit possessing a human can force them into being a spectral, but that's obviously not a requirement. And Scrapdragon only called out to Max because he's a compatible color. If he were, say, lime green, or yellow, or white, or any other color, then it would've ignored him and something else would've called out to him instead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There seems to be some correspondence beyond colour.. When Max wonders about how spirits "conveniently" possess right types of tools, he shuts up like he realised something. This seems like a minor point at first, but in the same chapter it's established that the tool he just happens to find has scrap-powers, and way later that his mother was a junk artist.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 14, 2015

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

neogeo0823 posted:

the part during the train ride directly before BL makes her intro, where Max is sent flying to the ground and something lifts him up and drops him more gently, stopping him from dying.
That was my favorite Paranatural character, Large Subterrainian Insect.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Roland Jones posted:

Except if he were previously a spectral he wouldn't have been able to enter Mayview, he would have splattered on the barrier. He developed the spectral traits when he was already there, while I'm pretty sure his mother died quite a while ago. (Though I could be mistaken here.) I mean, there could be some connection, but for it to have been the only cause it'd have had to be very delayed and extremely coincidental, timing-wise, versus him becoming a spectral as a result of something in Mayview.

Or the Broken God just did what we saw Forge do, and jumped in a non-spectral as a way to cross into Mayview.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cryophage posted:

Or the Broken God just did what we saw Forge do, and jumped in a non-spectral as a way to cross into Mayview.

I'm pretty sure Forge jumped into Johnny's jacket.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

First, where at all does it ever say or imply that Max became a spectral sue to his mother's death?

because that's what happened to ichigo right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

Except if he were previously a spectral he wouldn't have been able to enter Mayview, he would have splattered on the barrier. He developed the spectral traits when he was already there, while I'm pretty sure his mother died quite a while ago.

Becoming spectral is a gradual thing and there's some sort of threshold in effect, rather than a binary switch. Johnny was able to get back to Mayview despite Forge having started possessing him. So the trigger to Max becoming spectral can have happened before he entered the Mayview barrier. We have no knowledge about the precise details, so this is pretty much stuff that happens at the speed of plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm pretty sure Forge jumped into Johnny's jacket.

He jumped into Johnny. We've even (somewhat) recently seen Forge waking up inside Johnny, during hitball.

I feel like until proven otherwise, the simplest explanation is that Max is possessed by something (probably powerful and crafty) as well as having a tool, and that his possession took place either shortly before or shortly after coming to town. Given it seems to take at least a day or two (based on Johnny) to go Spectral and Max almost immediately started seeing ghost-y poo poo there's a good chance it was just before he moved.