Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

It's really sad to stumble upon a game in which it's the people who are cooking up the crazy combat builds and strict rules interpretations that break the engine wide open are the ones who are full of poo poo, rather than the people who answer with tired "but the roleplaying" apologism.

Well, I think the issue is that the crazy combat build doesn't really work nearly as well as advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, I think the issue is that the crazy combat build doesn't really work nearly as well as advertised.

That's what I'm saying. I haven't even actually read up on it but I have no doubt that it's predicated on at least one major mistake or attempt at cheating.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

That's what I'm saying. I haven't even actually read up on it but I have no doubt that it's predicated on at least one major mistake or attempt at cheating.

I mean that's sad for the players, not the game though, isn't it? People are trying to act like they're 'better' at the game then they are and purposely ignoring rules to act like it. There's no need to go 'but the game says' blah blah blah because they're just literally wrong.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Oh man are exalted fans chomping at the bit to become the next Jon Chung? Is that what's happening here?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I wonder if we will have Trump or Clinton 2.0 in the Whitehouse before this game is ever released.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Clinton 2.0, the first robot president, will be in the Whitehouse before the book comes out.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Oh man are exalted fans chomping at the bit to become the next Jon Chung? Is that what's happening here?

Speaking of which, I kind of thought John Chung's argument that you could grind up your initiative to ridiculous levels by summoning weak demons to fight you in the middle of the battle made about as much sense as the Fighter with the bag of rats thing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's definitely broadly correct that the inititaive system and a number of attendant charms are weaker for surrounding themselves with a bunch of chiding sidebars rather than actually being rigorously airtight.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

It's definitely broadly correct that the inititaive system and a number of attendant charms are weaker for surrounding themselves with a bunch of chiding sidebars rather than actually being rigorously airtight.

Yes, but from what I've seen, Chung has a way of being even more obnoxious than the sidebars.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

That's no excuse for "eh, we'll just instruct some players to ostracize others" as a replacement for design. Like, I'm sure Chung is plenty obnoxious about BP/XP, too.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

That's no excuse for "eh, we'll just instruct some players to ostracize others" as a replacement for design. Like, I'm sure Chung is plenty obnoxious about BP/XP, too.

Iunno, I don't feel nearly as annoyed when you talk about bp/xp. :3:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Prison Warden posted:

Clinton 2.0, the first robot president, will be in the Whitehouse before the book comes out.

2020 sounds kinda early.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

axelsoar posted:

2020 sounds kinda early.

Don't be trippin. Prez Kanye West with vice prez Snoop Lion gonna be running the....joint.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's getting fun but I think I made my guy kinda useless in combat except for spamming empowering shout haha

I'll say there should be less combat in the game in general but more chances for me, specifically, to kill every enemy out of join battle with multi-attacks.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I'd also like to say: Somebody send Holden Shearer to Time Jail for warping space and time to fit even loving more charms into this stupid rear end book. What the hell. Seriously. There should be like 120 charms max.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What evocations would be good for a 5 dot starmetal spear? Give me some ideas, oh Exalted thread.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

SunAndSpring posted:

What evocations would be good for a 5 dot starmetal spear? Give me some ideas, oh Exalted thread.

That's a bit too general. What's the story of the spear? We can build something if we know its background.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

, the Bending Spear.

All of its evocations involve it changing causality to bend, twist, and do impossible acts, changing what happened when it was used and altering the fate of the target.

Give it onslaught penalty generators for impossibly containing ans pressing someone, a perfect attack that can be triggered after a miss as an adamant, idk.

I do not do balance, do that yourself.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

SunAndSpring posted:

Put in a decisive attack that does something incredibly cruel similar to shun the smiling lady. Instead of damage, you weaken everyone's intimacies of love or respect towards that person and if you do enough damage they're replaced with intimacies of hatred or ostracism.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nihnoz posted:

I'd also like to say: Somebody send Holden Shearer to Time Jail for warping space and time to fit even loving more charms into this stupid rear end book. What the hell. Seriously. There should be like 120 charms max.

I still think that's a joke, because every other indication from the devs was that poo poo needed to be cut

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Give the spear the thrown tag so it's like sticking a javelin in your prey during a hunt, but socially.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nihnoz posted:

Give the spear the thrown tag so it's like sticking a javelin in your prey during a hunt, but socially.

It's a starmetal spear. Make it so you can throw it upward at a target to literally nail them to the sky.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Thesaurasaurus posted:

It's a starmetal spear. Make it so you can throw it upward at a target to literally nail them to the sky.

Or nail things down conceptually, so that you pin someone's career down and leave it going nowhere.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I seem to recall celtic mythology has a couple of magic spears that are awesome to read about. Aside from the famous Gae Bolg, (which when it hit someone, it went through every nook and cranny of the body and had to be carved out the victim) there's one that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that had to be quenched in a cauldron of venom to stop the tip from igniting and, lets see "it's thrust would kill a man, even if it did not strike him. And if the spear was thrown it will kill nine men, and there will be a king, or prince or plundering chieftain among their number".

Starmetal is fate and stuff right? You could "mark" a target and then the spear is now fated to hit that spot next time it's thrown. So you could, like, go to another town and just chuck the spear at the wall and it appears and stabs straight through the dude. Plausible deniability.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Will piss off the god who keeps the sky clear, so he'll double-smite the dude you attacked.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Transient People posted:

That's a bit too general. What's the story of the spear? We can build something if we know its background.

My character stole it off a hapless Chosen of Battles in a crowded market and Exalted while doing it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

SunAndSpring posted:

My character stole it off a hapless Chosen of Battles in a crowded market and Exalted while doing it.

That can inform the way the weapon reacts to you and what Evocations you get, but it still needs an actual history. What makes it special? What was it made of? What has it been used to do? stuff like that. Certainly the weapon might respond to being literally stolen off someone by your Evocations being focused around thievery or distracting opponents, but otherwise the other stuff about it matters.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It can pierce veils or deceptions; no armor can guard against it, but its double-edged and an incautious user can wound herself with it. You can mitigate this effect by challenging lies spoken in its presence. Because one lie props up another, it gains a bonus to repeatedly strike the same target until all his secrets are laid bare or he is impaled upon it. Oh yeah if it hits you you can choose to take less damage from it by telling it a secret. Might be better for moonsilver??

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

That can inform the way the weapon reacts to you and what Evocations you get, but it still needs an actual history. What makes it special? What was it made of? What has it been used to do? stuff like that. Certainly the weapon might respond to being literally stolen off someone by your Evocations being focused around thievery or distracting opponents, but otherwise the other stuff about it matters.

Also what's your character's fighting style, what mechanics seem interesting to you/would suit your character (dealing with environmental effects vs higher rolls vs overcoming defenses, for some examples), what narrative themes are you going for?

A decent way to start coming up with ideas is to look through the example artifacts and evocations, steal and reflavor a few, and go from there one you're more used to the game's mechanics. Don't need to stat up an entire artifact at chargen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe the good ole' Footswordcube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZSUvfSXsU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Monday Meeting Notes: Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Maria still inputting revised Pg XXs after we discovered a page number shift in the book mid-way through due to Maria actually reducing the page count by two pages. Once she’s done we send to CCP for approval of changes- one of their required changes was having all the Pg XXs filled in before they’d give final approval, which is why we’ve been fixated on the XXs. After their OK, backer PDFs will be sent out. Holden also mentioned that his OCD has slowed down his end of things as he has had to restart the process repeatedly to confirm his already assigned XX page numbers.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Holden also mentioned that his OCD

They are going full tumblr here right?

An actual OCD person responsible for this would actually explain the timespans ...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Monday Meeting Notes: Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Maria still inputting revised Pg XXs after we discovered a page number shift in the book mid-way through due to Maria actually reducing the page count by two pages. Once she’s done we send to CCP for approval of changes- one of their required changes was having all the Pg XXs filled in before they’d give final approval, which is why we’ve been fixated on the XXs. After their OK, backer PDFs will be sent out. Holden also mentioned that his OCD has slowed down his end of things as he has had to restart the process repeatedly to confirm his already assigned XX page numbers.

I don't know what would horrify me more; that standard book layout software can't do dynamically updated page-references, or that it can, and OPP doesn't use it. LaTeX can do this. Microsoft Word 97 can do this.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So, now we have OCD all of a sudden Holden him (hehe) back. Also, after nine layout passes Maria decides, hey, let's just change the page count in the middle of the dreaded and super hard page XX corrections, because.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I have a lot of aesthetic appreciation for people who do things the hard way on purpose out of stubbornness and bloody-mindedness. Shame about the consequences of it happening in actual reality as opposed to, like, a game of Exalted.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's cool how the team has graduated to casually dropping in mental illness as an excuse for their terrible processes and inability to set and stick to deadlines. It's like they're spending all their dev time figuring out bold new ways to be idiot shitheads (in which case, hey, innovations ahoy)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeah. That's not how OCD works. "OCD" does not mean "heavy attention to detail" goddamnit.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
how many months has this thing been in the layout stage now?

e: I mean, I've been running 3E for months now, I don't strictly need them to actually finish the book at this point, but I'd still like the opportunity to buy it from them

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm guessing they're not being paid by the hour for this project considering the amount of loving around they've been doing.

It's also a little hard to be confident in them delivering a more mechanically sound game when it appears they can't even work out how to do page references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fans posted:

I'm guessing they're not being paid by the hour for this project considering the amount of loving around they've been doing.

It's also a little hard to be confident in them delivering a more mechanically sound game when it appears they can't even work out how to do page references.

I think writing a more mechanically sound game than Exalted 2e probably is actually easier than find->replace

• Locked thread