Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

Thanks for using Awful! To make our app better for you, we bring updates to the App Store every time a reviewer manages not to stray into FYAD. Every update of our Awful app includes improvements for speed and reliability. As other new features become available, we'll highlight those for you in the app thread.

That's the spirit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

pokeyman posted:

I'm curious about some images not loading in the thread while you're (presumably) on cell data. Has it always worked that way for you?

Yep. On wifi (at home, 50mbps) I can't make it skip an image. I've tried to freak it out in fact - rapid scrolling, page changes, etc. I've succeeded in crashing it a couple times but never a missing image. If I just turn off wifi on the cell phone and load a similar page, I can be guaranteed one will just be a small blank box. It could be bandwidth/timeout related I guess. The places I use it most heavily have a bad signal or spotty bandwidth due to tons of cell phones in the same place.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

carry on then posted:

That's the spirit!

We’ve made design and localization updates to improve the Awful experience around the globe.

** Awful saves time by connecting you to the forums as quickly as possible. If you like the service, please consider using those extra few minutes to review our app. **

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ugato posted:

Yep. On wifi (at home, 50mbps) I can't make it skip an image. I've tried to freak it out in fact - rapid scrolling, page changes, etc. I've succeeded in crashing it a couple times but never a missing image. If I just turn off wifi on the cell phone and load a similar page, I can be guaranteed one will just be a small blank box. It could be bandwidth/timeout related I guess. The places I use it most heavily have a bad signal or spotty bandwidth due to tons of cell phones in the same place.

Ok. I can't think of anything Awful could do to make things better for you. I'm certainly open to suggestions if anyone has any!

Abjad Soup posted:

We’ve made design and localization updates to improve the Awful experience around the globe.

I would totally localize Awful if someone wanted the practice.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
:א::

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

The newest version freezes when I try to preview a post on GBS

I'm on an iPhone 6+ with the latest iOS update

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm not sure I like the X as the end of the thread in the latest beta. It makes it seem like something went wrong.

e: It also kills 3D Touch :(

Kazy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 13, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazy posted:

I'm not sure I like the X as the end of the thread in the latest beta. It makes it seem like something went wrong.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kazy posted:

e: It also kills 3D Touch :(

This is my fault, will fix it up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe a hard Dash to indicate the end?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Not on the beta but I would vote against that X as well.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

came to post about the x

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

We must kill the X. And I'm the one that made the X! Apologies. I just wanted to get rid of the end of thread text. If a dash is preferred I can make one. Any other suggestions?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Just had an issue where the app said reload for the next page and it kept reloading the current page. I clicked the > and it went to the next page.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

spanky the dolphin posted:

We must kill the X. And I'm the one that made the X! Apologies. I just wanted to get rid of the end of thread text. If a dash is preferred I can make one. Any other suggestions?

nothing. or whatever it was before.

e: any single letter/symbol is just gonna make me think something failed to load. I thought it was a blocked ad or something at first

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

baram. posted:

nothing. or whatever it was before.

e: any single letter/symbol is just gonna make me think something failed to load. I thought it was a blocked ad or something at first

Same. I might have tapped it like a dozen times trying to make it go away.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, another vote for just don't show anything. I know if it's not the end of the thread both from the page number not being X of X for a given value of X, and also from the pull being refresh instead of next. Issues where it refreshes instead of changes pages are bugs that we can definitely look into.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't feel like having "End of the thread" as it currently is in the live version is a bad thing. Maybe that's just me but I never thought of that as an issue.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
the x is hosed up

radge
Jan 21, 2005

I like the x

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spanky the dolphin posted:

Tilde-swoop with two slashes across it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dare I say a grenade of sorts?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Make the X into "End Of Thread :negative:"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Long dash for "end of thread"
Ellipsis for "next page"

(Or an end-of-proof tombstone!)

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 13, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

"go outside nerd"

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I could get behind this.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
iOS 9.02, latest version of awful (3.7?), iPad.

If I'm in the middle of a thread, leave the app (by switching to the home screen or another app) and come back, the view has scrolled several posts (a couple of screens) up. This is a relatively new thing, I never saw it on iOS 8. It's getting kinda annoying. Am I the only one with this issue?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also happens if you change orientation. I think it's maybe a state restoration bug in iOS9, because I saw it in another app as well.

Probably something we could work around, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sort of related to that; after iOS 8-point-something whenever I open Awful it loads a blank white page with the top bar and throws me into the forums view whereas before it always remembered if I was in bookmarks or in a forums when I quit the app. I guess it's just some iOS 8 quirk?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do we still support ios8?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Also happens if you change orientation. I think it's maybe a state restoration bug in iOS9, because I saw it in another app as well.

Yea. I notice it a lot if I accidently change orientation while looking at my timeline in Twitter

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Do we still support ios8?
I'm on 9.0.2 now but it's something that started happening with one of the iOS 8 updates, not just with Awful either. Not a massive deal as I never close the app until I'm done with reading the forums, though.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
On the dark version of the latest beta Awful, when you tap a thread in bookmarks the thread space flashes white. Also things look different there. Pages are called pp and poster names are right aligned?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

IllegallySober posted:

I could get behind this.

Seconded

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hello thread, I am having the issue people have posted a couple times where i try to post a new thread in YOSPOS and when clicking the preview button, the app freezes. :wth:!!
working as designed?

ios9.0.2 on iphone 6 without any adblockers installed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
sounds correct to me op

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I've noticed that it doesn't happen when the built-in browser view is opened.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

obstipator posted:

hello thread, I am having the issue people have posted a couple times where i try to post a new thread in YOSPOS and when clicking the preview button, the app freezes. :wth:!!
working as designed?

ios9.0.2 on iphone 6 without any adblockers installed

second but with a 6+

I can reply to threads just fine but after the latest awful update I cannot create new threads. I click on preview and it stays gray and the app completely freezes up so I have to manually exit it and reload.

please fix kthx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
also I can no longer view videos within the Awful app -- it prompts me to open the YouTube app, which I'd rather not do. I'd rather view it within the Awful app.

• Locked thread