Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think I ever played Nightmare Creatures and what the gently caress it IS proto-Bloodborne, all it's missing is upgradeable poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://youtu.be/yn6-pxyjlWg

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also, the PSX era must be the king of "hey, this game looks like it was AWESOME, why didn't it become mega-popul...oh, the controls".

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Listening to the Undertale discussion in the podcast makes me feel like Pat just completely missed the point of the entire game while playing it. I don't begrudge him for it or anything, it's just kinda amusing that he played through the game and apparently missed the forest for the trees, such as from his complaints about random encounters being boring "because they don't reward you with anything but money".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I haven't listened to the podcast, but I guess Pat just doesn't like the specific kind of whimsy Undertale and Earthbound invokes. Which is fine, even though I don't get it because I'm a human being with a soul and poo poo.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
he actually really likes it but babies don't like doubt and criticism

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hubris.height posted:

I don't mind it when it's well done. Giving you poo poo for killing people, sure okay, I can accept that. I'd be furious if someone started killing my friends too. My problem is when the game is like 'Boy you must be a real piece of poo poo to be killing people you monster. But, it was all made up for the EXP=Execution Points reveal. That's some funny poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hubris.height posted:

I mean, I'm going from his Twitter posts here. Saying the game is "mostly boring but the ending is outstanding" and also thinking Earthbound is overrated makes me think he's just not that into that style of writing.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pat's only real problem with the game is that Undertale leans heavily on its sense of humor but he didn't find most of it funny. Or at least that's my takeaway from his podcast rant. Even between that and his hatred of the hype machine he still thought of it as a pretty good game.

It's kind of fun when Pat hates on something because it takes a half hour of backtracking and rationalizing on his part to get to his real opinion that is perfectly reasonable.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 13, 2015

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I understand where Pat's coming from. I got the impression that his frustrations didn't stem from the game itself, but more from the hundreds of people bugging him to play it. Like, he went into the game expecting heavenly manna from the skies, but just got a really good burger instead.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Like he himself said though, he would never have had a better opinion than this. Since he said he would've NEVER played it without the massive hype surrounding it, and the hype kinda wrecked it for him. Kind of a depressing situation, I suppose. I think I'm lucky to have played it RIGHT as it came out, with only hype from having played the demo previously to fuel me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

I don't mind it when it's well done. Giving you poo poo for killing people, sure okay, I can accept that. I'd be furious if someone started killing my friends too. My problem is when the game is like 'Boy you must be a real piece of poo poo to be killing people you monster. But, it was all made up for the EXP=Execution Points reveal. That's some funny poo poo.

The game doesn't do that though. It never calls you a monster unless you do a genocide run. Sans literally just says "here's what it all means welp I hope your happy with your choice seeya" and leaves (though he's a little spiteful if you kill his bro understandably)

If your injecting all that yourself says a lot more bout you then the game imo :shobon:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 13, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea idk man, sorry you feel bad for murder. maybe you should stop murdering

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lufia 2's better than Earthbound and by extension all other JRPGs, including the ones I haven't and won't play.

ChumpsForChange posted:

Cool that Matt's getting into iPad games there's some neat stuff there.
Cool iOS games:
Year Walk and its companion app

Year Walk just got a rejiggered port for Wii U that uses the gamepad/dual screens and I'd argue it's the best way to play. Nintendo's community people started LPing it recently which is kinda odd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The game doesn't do that though. It never calls you a monster unless you do a genocide run. Sans literally just says "here's what it all means welp I hope your happy with your choice seeya" and leaves (though he's a little spiteful if you kill his bro understandably)

If your injecting all that yourself says a lot more bout you then the game imo :shobon:

Yeah, the genocide run is all I'm talking about. I don't hate the game for saying 'you're a bad person for killing people, Frisk' my problem is when they phrase it as if you the player are a lovely person for doing that. They're lines of coding, and better written than half the stuff Ubisoft puts out, sure, but I didn't get super attached to them to the point that I couldn't possibly even think of killing them. I don't think I own a single game that isn't about killing or breaking something into pieces on my console anyway. It mostly just makes me roll my eyes at those parts is all. gently caress, I'm really bad at explaining what I think.

hubris.height posted:

yea idk man, sorry you feel bad for murder. maybe you should stop murdering

Maybe murder shouldn't be so fun! I love killing people in video games man! It's been entertaining for decades! My favorite way is murdering huge waves of dudes in Dynasty Warriors.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

red plastic cup posted:

I understand where Pat's coming from. I got the impression that his frustrations didn't stem from the game itself, but more from the hundreds of people bugging him to play it. Like, he went into the game expecting heavenly manna from the skies, but just got a really good burger instead.

Same thing happened when people bugged him to read All-Star Superman. As he explained it in one of the podcasts, he basically went into that with a "gently caress you" attitude.

This is why I don't want to play Undertale, at least not for a few months from now. All I ever hear is "Do the pacifist run" and "No, don't kill anybody! Reload/Start over" over and over again, and it's kind of grating. It would be unfair of me to play Undertale with this kind of bias. :shrug:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Could just do whatever you want if you play it and not poke anyone till your first run is done. Know a lot of people that do that.

S'fair either way, though, after hearing most of the chat it has me eager to see the next part as I'm sure it'll have the date. Is that coming up today? Thought it was gonna be every 2 days so was a bit surprised to not see it pop up yesterday

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, the genocide run is all I'm talking about. I don't hate the game for saying 'you're a bad person for killing people, Frisk' my problem is when they phrase it as if you the player are a lovely person for doing that. They're lines of coding, and better written than half the stuff Ubisoft puts out, sure, but I didn't get super attached to them to the point that I couldn't possibly even think of killing them. I don't think I own a single game that isn't about killing or breaking something into pieces on my console anyway. It mostly just makes me roll my eyes at those parts is all. gently caress, I'm really bad at explaining what I think.

It's fine, I'm equally bad at getting my views across but hey gonna try anyway. Genotalk ahead if this was like Spec Ops the line where it forces you to do increasingly lovely things and at the end goes "wow ur a monster" and the only way to not be a lovely person is to not even play the game I totally agree.

In the context of Undertale though, you, as in YOU are a character in the storyline. It's why after the pacifist end you're told "you're the only threat" and it's right, you reset everything just to see that content. Even after a reset you're not forced into doing a geno run, it's up to you entirely. Most of the characters don't address it as you either because only select few know about the fourth wall and talk past it and even in the pacifist run they hint that they know about the player to some extent so it's not a left field thing. It's totally within the realms of the game for these characters to go "wow you literally hunted down and murdered everyone for fun you're kinda hosed up dude." because it's true within the context.

I never really saw it as "for shame player for shame", more like these guys know there's a outside force controlling this kid and making him murder everything and they understandably have a problem with you.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 13, 2015

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I wouldn't mind seeing a Legacy of Kain franchise LP (maybe skipping BO and definitely skipping BO2).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Foxhound posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a Legacy of Kain franchise LP (maybe skipping BO and definitely skipping BO2).

I don't think it'd really work as an LP, just because the cutscenes are so important. They'd go entire episodes without talking.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

PiedPiper posted:

Same thing happened when people bugged him to read All-Star Superman. As he explained it in one of the podcasts, he basically went into that with a "gently caress you" attitude.

This is why I don't want to play Undertale, at least not for a few months from now. All I ever hear is "Do the pacifist run" and "No, don't kill anybody! Reload/Start over" over and over again, and it's kind of grating. It would be unfair of me to play Undertale with this kind of bias. :shrug:

I hadn't heard anything about it before the LP, but just following this thread since it started has kind of already burned me out on Undertale.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Disliking a game because of fans is the weirdest thing to me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fun thing about Nightmare Creatures, the game came out well before the Dual Shock, but because it has joystick support and it's joystick support somehow recognizes a dual shock, you can still play it with one.

Also didn't they get Robb Zombie to do music for the second game?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Disliking a game because of fans is the weirdest thing to me.

I cannot emphasize enough just how incredible it is to me there exists people where their enjoyment of a game is heavily based off the game's cultural zeitgeist perception. The idea of "resenting" a game because people told you to play it or liked it to a higher degree than you do is just insane to me. That's how literal children behave and interact.

Like, oh nooo, my first interaction with Portal was hearing stupid cake memes. I guess I'll never enjoy the game now, and I totally would have too if it wasn't for those meddling fanbases and their lovely memes!

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Undertale rules.

I think it's funny how the best friends are so insistent on giving a game a score out of 10. Awwwwe yeah noncommittal 8!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wonder what matt's goty is if Undertale isn't it despite being effectively an 11 for him. Mortal Kombat X...?

edit: Dead or Alive Extreme 3 is having two versions out, called "Fortune" and "Venus" respectively

the gently caress.....?

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 13, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You'll need both versions to be able to collect all 151 DLC bikinis obviously.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
I think that Pat's viewpoint on Undertale was fine but lol at any argument that involves "actually people that like this a lot were tricked they don't actually like it as much as they seem to they were just blinded"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

I hadn't heard anything about it before the LP, but just following this thread since it started has kind of already burned me out on Undertale.
No, you don't understand. It's utterly incredible and amazing but only if you play it in the exact same way I repeatedly tell you to play it every hour of every day and if you even remotely consider this annoying you're literally Child Hitler.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Personally, I'd rather Pat have all the opinions of Undertale on his twitter, than to see him take his politics from scare tactics Youtube videos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Kins posted:

No, you don't understand. It's utterly incredible and amazing but only if you play it in the exact same way I repeatedly tell you to play it every hour of every day and if you even remotely consider this annoying you're literally Child Hitler.

If you wanna have a bad time, that's your prerogative.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Man you are being really weird about this

How did people saying the genocide path probably isn't a good way to experience the game first time through bother you that much?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

Man you are being really weird about this

Did people saying that the genocide path probably isn't a good way to experience the game the first time really bother you that much?
There is no wrong way to play videogames. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Did you also take offense when people told Liam and Pat that there is a run button in SMRPG?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Kins posted:

Play a fighting game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baal posted:

Play a fighting game
"Getting 100% comboed in the first second of every round, ragequitting and playing against easy CPUs to convince yourself that you still have something resembling hand-eye co-ordination" is a valid way of playing. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There are a lot of ways to play games "wrong" or at least ways to play that will make you probably not enjoy the game.

Like in Dark Souls, if you try to bash your head against the skeletons in the graveyard/catacombs for hours at the beginning, you probably won't enjoy the game very much.

You shouldn't get angry at people informing you that you probably shouldn't do that.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I don't see how anyone could unintentionally go on the genocide path just playing naturally

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ruggington posted:

I don't see how anyone could unintentionally go on the genocide path just playing naturally

And that's besides the fact that you have to beat the game first anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think Lament of Innocence is a perfectly fine game. It's not amazing but its mechanics are a nice halfway between classicvania and the GBA/DS games. It was a bit too big at times, and probably suffered from PS2 era load times though.