Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It was a fun game despite itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
That entire generation of MMOs were chock full of poo poo-that-would-just-not-fly-today, they were still mostly fun. Mainly cause we didn't know better.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

DAoC wasn't just great, it was the greatest.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bait and Swatch posted:

Xposting this from the Albion thread, because I think it is an idea that would fit well into CUs crafting scheme:

I don't have access to the forums, but could someone who does post it (unless the concept has already been brought up)?

I think not having immediately visible stats on purchaseable gear, maybe just display the name/level of the crafter would improve the market. Moving away from the standard market of "pick item I want, scan for best cost/quality" would make the market more engaging amd increase the focus on crafters who spend a lot of time specializing.

It wouldn't work. You're just replacing something every other MMO gives away for free with another slot machine.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
DAoC had some serious design issues (especially early on) and some of the systems it used seem sort of dated today; MMO mechanics from a bygone era. (A good example would be comparing Vanilla WoW to what it is now) but the game had undeniable addictive qualities, and though Guild Wars 2 sort of scratched the itch, I REALLY miss DAoC's heavy emphasis on guild play and PVP systems. I'm hoping that CU will recapture that and make guilds relevant in MMOs again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game just wont work with all the up to date features of an MMO. There's already GW2 and ESO that have the huge rvr maps.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am eagerly waiting to see the maps since GW2 got the right idea but did it wrong, War got the wrong idea and did it wrong, and ESO seems to have the best idea going but will probably gently caress it up with their new expansion.

I am a nerd for good map design and the farther it gets from thidrankii from daoc the worse they tend to be.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tenzarin posted:

The game just wont work with all the up to date features of an MMO. There's already GW2 and ESO that have the huge rvr maps.

But GW2's biggest weakness is 50% of the content is just zerg slamming meta, the other 50% is just constantly ghost capping. You're incentivized to avoid combat and just rotate through keeps.

ESO is awful and unfun all around and not worth addressing, IMO.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Kimsemus posted:

But GW2's biggest weakness is 50% of the content is just zerg slamming meta, the other 50% is just constantly ghost capping. You're incentivized to avoid combat and just rotate through keeps.

ESO is awful and unfun all around and not worth addressing, IMO.

GW2's problem is it's capture point non-sense. I've never in my life seen a good competitive game that's about standing in a square or a circle and being like 'woo we stood in the circle or whatever'. It ends up just being area control and zerg, then the developers see this problem and try to shoe-horn in side objectives, but they're always fuckin weird scripted garbage that barely changes anything

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimsemus posted:

HAHA this never happened in daoc because people were dumb back then and didnt know any of the maps. Because just about none of the frontier zones had maps. If you think people are going to slam into a keep walls for hours in TYOOL 2015.

Every time they released a old/new frontier servers in daoc it turned into musical keeps.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

please don't troll tenzarin

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Carol Pizzamom posted:

GW2's problem is it's capture point non-sense. I've never in my life seen a good competitive game that's about standing in a square or a circle and being like 'woo we stood in the circle or whatever'. It ends up just being area control and zerg, then the developers see this problem and try to shoe-horn in side objectives, but they're always fuckin weird scripted garbage that barely changes anything

I can go hours in GW2s RvR with out seeing another player.

Days before I fight one in something other than 10:1 slaughter.

ESO had a ton of potential and then they went and added Champion Levels.

Lets never mention them again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Third World Reggin posted:

please don't troll tenzarin

Lol if you think this game will be the mecca of pvp in a mmo. Go look at any large scale pvp game out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

:agreed:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sorry Mark Jacobs raped your childhood or whatever your issue is Tenzarin.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I played a lot of daoc and it's the only large scale rvr game i've enjoyed. All I'm hoping for here is version 2 with nicer graphics and a few qol changes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

I'm sorry Mark Jacobs raped your childhood or whatever your issue is Tenzarin.

The truth is he canceled Imperator Online .

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I am a nerd for good map design and the farther it gets from thidrankii from daoc the worse they tend to be.

:allears:

Caer Caledon wasn't bad, either. Remember when they added free 20's and 30's? They thought that would help realm balance, but all it did was let us play in the battlegrounds whenever we wanted. Great for trying out new classes and other realm's classes.

It just goes to show how much of a love/hate relationship we have with level gating.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the bad part about those free characters was the underpopulated realms got the 30s and the over populated realms got the 20s so the battlegrounds were all lopsided.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The truth is he canceled Imperator Online .

I forgot about that, I think in their heads Mayans fighting Romans in Space was a cool idea and not something that would be laughed out of existence.

Wonder how much time and money went into that project.

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
i payed money for this game because i have a real hankering for a big pvp game

im fully prepared to be sad

also a goon guild with goonunism could totally work if we just give the game enough time for everyone to get a feel for it/build up some skills and stuff. then we pool the resources and bam, Goons rule the not-space realm.

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
also if this game has any possibility of paying for itself (like eve) then i will be happy

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

I AM THE LIST.

You make all my lists, if you know what I mean. :pervert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CatAteSeven posted:

also a goon guild with goonunism could totally work if we just give the game enough time for everyone to get a feel for it/build up some skills and stuff. then we pool the resources and bam, Goons rule the not-space realm.

Communism can work, I call dibs on leader.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
FYI I'll update the OP once all the classes are announced. I'm also hoping they will have more class artwork out by then and some more key details nailed down.

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
if goons actually did get into this game, how would we even go about deciding what realm to be in

or would there just be three goon guilds

like my model of how goon mmo participation should be comes from EVE so the whole "pick a faction at the start and stick with it" style is a little confusing to me

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

probably depends how popular the game is? wow had at least three goon guilds at launch, two on horde and one alliance, and at least twice that many within a week

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

CatAteSeven posted:

if goons actually did get into this game, how would we even go about deciding what realm to be in

or would there just be three goon guilds

like my model of how goon mmo participation should be comes from EVE so the whole "pick a faction at the start and stick with it" style is a little confusing to me

Usually the way it goes is that some enterprising goon will start up an offsite forum with a complex authentication system designed to filter out anyone who hasn't paid the tenbux, because it's important that none of the public knows what side goons take until a week into the game's release. Then a faction choice poll will be set up on this site which will stay neck and neck for about three weeks.

During this time replies in this topic will become progressively angrier and more hyperbolic until one of the admins steps in and makes the choice for the rest of the goons, resulting in whining from all sides. This will continue into the game itself, until drama inevitably causes several splinter guilds to form. Some of them will be on different factions/servers, but most will be on the same faction. If pvp among same-faction guilds is disabled, these splinter guilds will make passive-aggressive snipes at one another; if it's enabled, they will become aggressive snipes. Pedophiles may or may not be involved.

The offsite forums will be closed after about a month, coinciding with the departure of 90% of the goon population. The remainder will spend their time shooting the poo poo/making GBS threads on the thread until the game unceremoniously closes its doors a couple years later.

So yes, there will be a few goon guilds you can choose from.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

You forgot to have at least one guild splintering drama.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Xae posted:

You forgot to have at least one guild splintering drama.

And that a smaller group of goons will stick with a different faction.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have yet to find a point for off-site forums that don't have that metagame element EvE has. Sometimes there's useful information but not something you couldn't eventually find in a wiki somewhere or in the game thread itself.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Flavahbeast posted:

probably depends how popular the game is? wow had at least three goon guilds at launch, two on horde and one alliance, and at least twice that many within a week

Depends on how the classes shake out and what people want. I'm VERY partial to Arthurians based on how I think racials are gonna stack up but that's just purely my conjecture.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the game is all druid farts and irish dreams of potatoes

nothing is set in stone so poo poo don't matter yet

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I will try this game if it's out and Uthgard is not up. None of TWR's ramblings will decide my opinion for me. :D

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

the game is all druid farts and irish dreams of potatoes

nothing is set in stone so poo poo don't matter yet

Im going to be a farmer. WE NEED TO DECIDE ON A SERVER NOW!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Tenzarin posted:

Im going to be a farmer. WE NEED TO DECIDE ON A SERVER NOW!

I cast my vote whichever server is the second option. Let's kill our guild in its infancy and spare ourselves some pain.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kimsemus posted:

Depends on how the classes shake out and what people want. I'm VERY partial to Arthurians based on how I think racials are gonna stack up but that's just purely my conjecture.

If it's anything like DAoC, Arthurians will be the "good side", meaning it will come with all its positive and negative stigmas. It will be where goons end up half a year after release when the viking goons get sick of being the punching bag permanent underdogs in rvr.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

If it's anything like DAoC, Arthurians will be the "good side", meaning it will come with all its positive and negative stigmas. It will be where goons end up half a year after release when the viking goons get sick of being the punching bag permanent underdogs in rvr.

From what I've seen it looks like half the people planning to play are planning on going Viking - Goon or otherwise. That'll be a hard snowball to stop. TDD seems to be in the middle ground with the Arthurians bringing up the rear.

Personally I'm planning on going Arthurian in part for the challenge and in part due to the source material.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Have they shared what engine they're building on yet? I've somehow held off on burning $60 for this, and I'd rather not buy into the beta just to find out it's like, DAoC's engine resurrected, patched to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
They said that its proprietary. They're making their own engine.

• Locked thread