Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

drat near all of them are great. Defensive is probably the best, since it gives you +! Army Tradition and +15% morale right off the bat. The other bonuses are kinda underwhelming. Offensive is amazing if only for +20 Siege Ability. Siege Ability is the best loving thing.

It's too bad tradition decay left the Innovative idea group, because that used to be a no brainer for Prussia. Offensive + Innovative gives you such a loving good policy. It's right up there with the policy that gives you a colonist, or republican tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

PleasingFungus posted:

What am I looking at, here?
The outliner. The trade pulled looks a bit underwhelming.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
No I'm pretty sure we're looking at a Random Nations game where he thought he'd have a cute little merchant republic in Eastern China, and found himself spawned next to a loving monstrosity that stretches from China to loving Iran. GG.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's always great when the random set-up spawns you right next to a megatitan, or even just too close for comfort. I was playing in Arabia in a multiplayer game where the two strongest AI states in the game by far both started off in India, one expanding east into China and the other west into Persia. It took a coalition of all four players to effectively curb-stomp them and reduce them as a threat.

And of course, the western one had +30% increased coring cost. :shepicide:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

thatdarnedbob posted:

No I'm pretty sure we're looking at a Random Nations game where he thought he'd have a cute little merchant republic in Eastern China, and found himself spawned next to a loving monstrosity that stretches from China to loving Iran. GG.
Oh right. Should have looked at the date; I thought he was the monstrosity.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm fairly certain the nation designer start tries to fill up the map in a similar way to the historical start. I tried the exact same thing, to have a trade republic in China, and on like three starts I was always surrounded by a monstrous Celestial Empire. I guess the game always plops down a Celestial Empire in China if the player isn't one, and then goes "well it's gotta be BIG right?" and makes it huge.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my persian game I just got an event that spawned me some Persian Revolutionaries. They want to change my government form to Constitutional Republic. Is this worth it to let them rampage? The descriptor text is kind of garbled.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

double nine posted:

In my persian game I just got an event that spawned me some Persian Revolutionaries. They want to change my government form to Constitutional Republic. Is this worth it to let them rampage? The descriptor text is kind of garbled.

Republics are superior in nearly every way to monarchies so I would say go for it. Constitutional Republic also unlocks the parliament mechanic

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so how do I stop my vassals from killing them?

Yeeeeaaah, I don't think this is going to work out...

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 13, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

double nine posted:

Start a war and put your vassals on the "stick to friendlies" mode while herding them away. Vassals almost hosed up my Persia run too, it's really tempting to just release them and conquer it back later.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

double nine posted:

Republics are great in general, but Constitutional Republic is probably the worst one. The Parliament mechanic is kind of broken right now and doesn't scale well to large countries. You will have to create a huge amount of seats and offer concessions to a majority of them if you want debates to pass, which gives a minor bonus. If the debate doesn't pass, you get some sort of penalty, I forget what it is but it's kinda annoying.

So, I would say it depends on two factors:

- How large you are: If you aren't too big, Parliament is okay and manageable I guess
- What year it is: After 1700 you can get the Revolution disaster, which turns your country into a Revolutionary Republic. Revolutionary Republics get amazing bonuses and are super fun. So, if it's almost 1700, squash these dudes and just wait.

e: Just noticed your screenshot, you're way too big for Constitutional Republic to work. And there isn't really any surefire way to get your vassals to stay off them. Best move is go to war and hope your vassals attach to your stacks, but this isn't foolproof.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Deltasquid posted:

I'm fairly certain the nation designer start tries to fill up the map in a similar way to the historical start. I tried the exact same thing, to have a trade republic in China, and on like three starts I was always surrounded by a monstrous Celestial Empire. I guess the game always plops down a Celestial Empire in China if the player isn't one, and then goes "well it's gotta be BIG right?" and makes it huge.

I haven't tried, but I suspect you might be able to get around this by using one of the mods that breaks big states up like Europa Gooniversalis. I'm guessing that it spawns random nations based on some % chance where vanilla capitals start, which would keep the nation density roughly the same.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Republics are great in general, but Constitutional Republic is probably the worst one. The Parliament mechanic is kind of broken right now and doesn't scale well to large countries. You will have to create a huge amount of seats and offer concessions to a majority of them if you want debates to pass, which gives a minor bonus. If the debate doesn't pass, you get some sort of penalty, I forget what it is but it's kinda annoying.

- How large you are: If you aren't too big, Parliament is okay and manageable I guess
- What year it is: After 1700 you can get the Revolution disaster, which turns your country into a Revolutionary Republic. Revolutionary Republics get amazing bonuses and are super fun. So, if it's almost 1700, squash these dudes and just wait.

e: Just noticed your screenshot, you're way too big for Constitutional Republic to work. And there isn't really any surefire way to get your vassals to stay off them. Best move is go to war and hope your vassals attach to your stacks, but this isn't foolproof.

Yeah, Syria curbstomped the rebels while I wasn't looking. Don't think I missed out on much though.

Since there are some devs in here, is it possible to change the "slavery will be removed from [province]" event to fire on all provinces simultaneously? I just passed the abolish slavery decision and I get a pop-up every 3 days (for about a month or 3 now) that another province has removed its slavery. It's annoying.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Bold Robot posted:

What really makes the Constitutional Republic rough is actually a problem all across Republics in general, which is that there aren't actually that many ways to get Republican Tradition. -0.5 Legitimacy ain't poo poo so you can hold off debates for when it's advantageous, but -0.5 RT is crippling.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Parliaments are tolerable as a bigger country if you cheese it a bit and make sure to assign seats to low-development countries. The cost of swaying MPs varies with the development of provs, so while a high-development province might require, I dunno, 40 dip points to sway, a low-development province will ask for 4.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
You can just switch away from the constitutional part of the republic as soon as the rebels have enforced their demand, though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Or alternatively, just give every province a seat, take the static bonuses that gives you, call a debate when able, and then ignore it. You'll lose, but the penalty is -20 prestige, which is trivial to make up.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^
I still think the Parliament mechanic needs to be looked at, debates scale horribly.

Node posted:

As gamey and exploitative the trick is, I hate to think if world conquests will even be possible if you couldn't do it anymore. I have 100 achievements completed, many of them considered "very hard," but I'm no where near good enough to try a WC.

I've done my WC a couple patches ago so I am not sure what the current strat is. I only did mine because I got lucky PUs and I think that's still key. If you get a lucky early PU and some other aspects of the game go well so you get that headstart it's doable. Focus has to be on shutting down colonizers as they make it so much harder.
With the current mechanics and lack of exploits I can see the Ottomans as one of the tags that can do it, France/Austria/Castile/England might as well. Doubtful if any other tags can do it. PLC and Russia both seem to weak and to far away to shut down the colonizers early enough.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, gently caress France. I've been to war with them a bunch of times now and every time they seems to poo poo stacks of 90 troops with 5 fire 5 shock generals leading them all over me. The latest one I actually checked their strength in the ledger - I had a bigger army for once, so I declare war, crush the first few stacks they send at me, then all of a sudden they now outnumber me without even hiring any mercenaries?

gently caress France.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Surely parliamentary debates are going to get reworked to fit with the new estate system.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You know Austria, your ability to conjure allies and armies out of nowhere is starting to feel a little unfair...

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Sarrisan posted:

Does anyone have some tips with getting started on a Luck of the Irish playthrough? I haven't played in a while but my last game was saving the Byz the hard way, no major allies (except to keep the otto's from getting military access). Took a ton of restarts until I got going but drat was it satisfying, with some really high-tension clinch moments. I've been trying to get back into the game by doing some easier starts but it just isn't catching me. I need a wall to bang my head against, but I'm not really good enough to get started on my own.

EDIT: should mention I'm not really interested in running to the new world, if that is the current strategy. (Though I've heard the new world sucks now?)

I started as Connacht (I think) allied with Scotland and set two of the other OPMs as rivals, took the mission to attack one of them and then immediately attacked without unpausing. After annexing one of them I waited for a good moment and attacked the other, annexing them too. Unfortunately the fourth OPM allied with England so I had no choice but to wait with uniting the island. But after a while England got into a war with France and friends and got their rear end kicked, which meant that I could sneak-take the last Irish OPM. I also managed to ally with France during this period, which pretty much is needed to be safe from England in the beginning. After quite some time England attacked my ally Scotland but I declined since I knew that they would kill me too, so what I did was that I waited until England took a bite out of them, then attacked them and made them my vassal, so that I both had a partner which would help me against England and someone I could feed provinces too. After that it was only a matter of waiting for England to be embroiled in a war on the continent and hope that they ship out some of their forces and attack, slowly eating them up. A warning though, they are really strong and I had two-three wars where I had to peace out empty-handed with 15-20 war exhaustion and multiple loans. Getting someone like Spain to help is really useful since they fight their navy and hopefully land some troops on the island. So be patient, save up funds so you can merc-spam them and try to get some good allies.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Started a new game as Sweden, I somehow have a bug where most of the provinces I conquer have ZERO separatism. It's really broken and kinda hilarious.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Not just the reconquered cores, but also just claims on new land? That would be odd.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

thatdarnedbob posted:

Not just the reconquered cores, but also just claims on new land? That would be odd.

Yep, I did my usual opening, independence war right away and join the HRE, then I went after Novgorod. All my conquered provinces (except Pskov and Ostrov for some reason, maybe because I took them from a vassal?) have zero separatism so I've expanded hard into Russia which normally would be really rebellious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

double nine posted:

You know Austria, your ability to conjure allies and armies out of nowhere is starting to feel a little unfair...

That 9 morale though. God I love Shia; I'm grabbing the Kilwa achievement right now, and I'm pissed that I missed that I could convert to Shia, rather than sticking as stupid generic Sunni.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

double nine posted:

You just need to let them occupy your capital, they don't need to occupy everything

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I think I just found the best mod in the Workshop:

New Faces for Your Loading Screens!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Holy moly I pissed off Poland and Lithuania on my last Muscovy run because the game was bugging me for not having rivals. I didn't realize how heavy both of those countries hit. Size doesn't matter :saddowns:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thoughts on a second military idea for Ven/Byz, after Plutocratic? I was considering Quantity but I feel like I could get the same results by 1) being rich and buying mercs and 2) building up Patriarch Authority for manpower. Defensive I guess, for the AT and Morale?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Thoughts on a second military idea for Ven/Byz, after Plutocratic? I was considering Quantity but I feel like I could get the same results by 1) being rich and buying mercs and 2) building up Patriarch Authority for manpower. Defensive I guess, for the AT and Morale?

I did Quality since you're big enough and wealthy enough to support a large army anyway but Byzantium NIs give very little bonuses to troop strength, and then when it was time for a third one I did Defensive.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I did Quality since you're big enough and wealthy enough to support a large army anyway but Byzantium NIs give very little bonuses to troop strength, and then when it was time for a third one I did Defensive.

Yeah I did Quality, arguably a little better in straight up bonuses than Defensive and also gives some naval stuff that's decent. Then Defensive later. Quality, Defensive, Offensive, can't go wrong just depends on your playstyle a bit.

Quantity is kinda overkill because you're getting good manpower from NIs and PA, manpower recovery from Plutocratic, and you're rich as gently caress. Throw mercs at them if you need more dudes.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
I picked up EU4 on sale after having last played the third one like five years ago, when there was only one or two expansions out. What are the biggest differences I need to be aware of?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

I picked up EU4 on sale after having last played the third one like five years ago, when there was only one or two expansions out. What are the biggest differences I need to be aware of?

The DLCs/patches have so radically altered the game that it's often jokingly referred to as "EU5."

Fundamentally you'll recognize a lot from EU3 but it's best to post with what nation you're playing and what your goals are and the thread is quick to give advice.

Edit: as in, depending on how much of the DLC expansions you've bought the game is vastly different than the base version so it would be good to know what DLC and nation you are playing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Realistically we're on EU6 now.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Wiz :doom:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

The game is almost completely different. Monarch points are everything, you use them to core and buy technology, and diplo-annex vassals. The Trade System is all new, Ideas are now unlocked as lines of seven, forts exert a zone of control that block movement, truces are variable length based on warscore. Base tax and manpower is gone, replaced with Province Development. Manpower growth is dramatically slower, making it much more important. Certain countries (Muscovy, I'm looking in your direction) get amazing missions to reach their historical success; these existed in EU3, but not the early expansions. Beware an AI with a mission, it will throw itself into completing it, body and soul. Theocracies and Republics have new mechanics. There are two metal soundtrack DLCs and one free Christmas one; all are amazing.

The EU5 comment really isn't far off the mark. But just start playing, it'll still be familiar enough.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 14, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pellisworth posted:

The DLCs/patches have so radically altered the game that it's often jokingly referred to as "EU5."

Funky Valentine posted:

While the game is radically different from release, it was also essentially EU3 Enhanced on release. I'd say we only really got to EU4 with Common Sense, and even still there's still EU3 baggage that most likely have room for improvement being carried in the game like the combat system.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Just noting that Paradox have started up their MP stream again, showing off new features for the coming expansion. All looking pretty good!

Plus lots of wars. Particularly chuffed to see an England that doesn't just give up on the Continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Just noting that Paradox have started up their MP stream again, showing off new features for the coming expansion. All looking pretty good!

Plus lots of wars. Particularly chuffed to see an England that doesn't just give up on the Continent.

It helps that france got its entire starting army exiled on the british isles.

• Locked thread