Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/256683-dem-opens-door-to-bipartisan-speaker

quote:

One House Democrat indicated Monday that Republicans should consider turning to his party to find a majority coalition to elect a new Speaker.

Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) said centrist GOP lawmakers who are frustrated with the roughly 40-member Freedom Caucus could find potential allies in Democrats.

"So if the Republican leadership can't decide, if the Republicans can't decide a leader who they will allow to at least talk to Democrats to get the full scope of what the American people feel, then I believe that a good number of the moderate Republicans should get together and come together with some of the Democrats and see if we can form a coalition together," Meeks said on "MSNBC Live with Tamron Hall."

Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's (R-Calif.) abrupt decision to drop out of the Speaker race last week left House Republicans with no obvious successor to John Boehner (R-Ohio), who is retiring.
Many lawmakers are pushing Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee, to run for Speaker. But Ryan has been showing reluctance to take the job.

Meeks indicated that some Democrats may consult with lawmakers such as Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), who chairs the centrist Tuesday Group, to discuss a potential coalition.

"That would be historic, and it would change the course of politics for the United States, and we would get things done. So I know we're going to reach out to Charlie Dent and others, and I hope that that dialogue and conversation begins," Meeks said.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ah yes, the assisted career suicide trap option. I'm sure that will go over well.

That being said, a really good move, and more Democrats should take the opportunity. No republican in or out of their Right mind will take them up on it, and meanwhile the dems look like the adults in the room trying to get things working while the GOP factions run around trying to light everything on fire. With the lemons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god dammit, don't say this poo poo out loud

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aliquid posted:

god dammit, don't say this poo poo out loud

No it's good that they do. So when the House inevitably destroys the country the Dems can say "He we tried to help them unfuck themselves :smug: "

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

No it's good that they do. So when the House inevitably destroys the country the Dems can say "He we tried to help them unfuck themselves :smug: "

- Nick Clegg

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it's a smart idea for the Dems to say they're open to working with moderate Republicans to get things done, especially since at the end of the day that's what they're going to be doing anyway to pass the debt limit increase and the next CR. It undermines the Republicans if they're forced to admit they have an out that would let them move forward on needed legislation that they're only not taking advantage of for fear of political backlash.

How united is the rest of the non-Freedom Caucus Republican conference? If they could at least get all the rest of their members to vote for things and achieve the "majority of the majority" support it'd at least give their members cover in the crowd, but expecting the bare minimum of Reps to peel off with the Dems to pass the debt limit means their fellow Republicans are basically abandoning them. From the sounds of it it seems like it's every man for himself except for the Freedom Caucus.

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

A day in the life of a Fisher-Price phone will be live-streamed today:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/12/rand-paul-livestream/

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I'm not sure what forcing republicans into an ideological corner is going to do, but I guess we're going to find out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ryan would be idiotic to take the Speaker role. This is a revolutionary House and he would not last long.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really don't know why anyone would want that job. It's a lot of work to just be blamed for not only the dysfunctional House but also targeted as the biggest RINO ever when he doesn't destroy the country as the Freedom Caucus demands. Boehner is gonna be stuck in that job until he either dies, Dems take the house, or he stops giving a poo poo if the USA burns to the ground.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm not sure what forcing republicans into an ideological corner is going to do, but I guess we're going to find out.

Eh it's not like "we" have much to do with it. This is the inevitable consequence of the modern Republican party (and right wing media, gerrymandering, etc.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Radish posted:

I really don't know why anyone would want that job. It's a lot of work to just be blamed for not only the dysfunctional House but also targeted as the biggest RINO ever when he doesn't destroy the country as the Freedom Caucus demands. Boehner is gonna be stuck in that job until he either dies, Dems take the house, or he stops giving a poo poo if the USA burns to the ground.

He's literally leaving the house; do you think they'd make him stay as speaker once he retired? That would be pretty boss.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh it's not like "we" have much to do with it. This is the inevitable consequence of the modern Republican party (and right wing media, gerrymandering, etc.)

I meant "we" as in "Americans". I think you're right though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really hope that Paul Ryan accepts the job just so we can watch him be slowly devoured.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

euphronius posted:

Ryan would be idiotic to take the Speaker role. This is a revolutionary House and he would not last long.
Which is why he won't take it

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

I really hope that Paul Ryan accepts the job just so we can watch him be slowly devoured.

Would he then get more or less attention from his colleagues than his father did?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hilldog Mnem--

*slap* GHOST IN THE WASHINGTON MACHIIIIINE

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would he then get more or less attention from his colleagues than his father did?

You're Confusing your Pauls, there. Unless Paul Ryan Sr. served in some capacity.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

VanSandman posted:

You're Confusing your Pauls, there. Unless Paul Ryan Sr. served in some capacity.

Whoops, you're right.

All these GOP politicians look the same to me.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Gravel Gravy posted:

All these GOP politicians look the same to me.

That's racist.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AhhYes posted:

That's racist.

I apologize for the confusion that my statements have provided. However this statement has been taken out of context by my opponents by lamestream posters in USPol.

I will continue to strive for excellence in my work and I thank you for your support.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

AnemicChipmunk posted:

A day in the life of a Fisher-Price phone will be live-streamed today:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/12/rand-paul-livestream/

So far so good.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

AhhYes posted:

That's racist.

And accurate.

EDIT: I'm still worried about Joementum.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Democratic debate tonight, that's exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing Lincoln Chafee, I don't think anyone has ever seen him before. Also looking forward to seeing Martin O'Malley because it will be like a sequel to The Wire. Also looking forward to Bernie Sanders because it will be interesting to see a debater actually answering the questions posed by the moderator.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Yeah, but it's CNN so the questions will probably be horrible.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

greatn posted:

Democratic debate tonight, that's exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing Lincoln Chafee, I don't think anyone has ever seen him before. Also looking forward to seeing Martin O'Malley because it will be like a sequel to The Wire. Also looking forward to Bernie Sanders because it will be interesting to see a debater actually answering the questions posed by the moderator.

You know who's a debater? Ted Cruz.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AhhYes posted:

That's racist.

Can't be racist against white people :engleft:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kro-Bar posted:

Yeah, but it's CNN so the questions will probably be horrible.

It's Andy "The co-op" Cooper though so it will have an air of respectability. Not like we're getting Wolf Blitzer, the dumbest man alive, moderating.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

greatn posted:

Even this guy isn't feeling the Webbmentum. :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Franco Potente posted:

Even this guy isn't feeling the Webbmentum. :smith:

Well I have a theory. Anderson Cooper will pull off a mask to reveal he was Jim Webb the entire time, and never campaigned because he was too busy. Then he takes the podium and the debate is moderated by Lawrence Lessig in a Wolf Blitzer costume.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Seriously how is wolf blitzer so dumb, I assume he was an actual journalist at some point during his career?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

silvergoose posted:

He's literally leaving the house; do you think they'd make him stay as speaker once he retired? That would be pretty boss.

I guess being Speaker is like some sort of curse that you can only get rid of by giving it to someone else? Or maybe that's an STD I'm thinking of. Either way, it will be funny is Boehner ends up being speaker-for-life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nachos posted:

Seriously how is wolf blitzer so dumb, I assume he was an actual journalist at some point during his career?

He makes everything in both Ron Burgundy movies completely believable. The Ghost of stonewall Jackson teaming up with the mighty Minotaur to fight MTV Veejays is more plausible than Wolf Blitzer existing.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

nachos posted:

yes he was a journalist in Israel and then worked as a writer for AIPAC

he's probably the worst political anchor on CNN and definitely one of the worst overall among CNN/MSNBC/FOX, which says quite a bit

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Welcome to John Boehner's personal hell.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

yes he was a journalist in Israel and then worked as a writer for AIPAC

he's probably the worst political anchor on CNN and definitely one of the worst overall among CNN/MSNBC/FOX, which says quite a bit

What in holy gently caress is this hot take.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wolf Blitzer is definitely worse than the worst Fox anchor.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 13, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Radish posted:

Welcome to John Boehner's personal hell.

Chained to the podium, gavel bound tightly to his hand, in sweatpants and a wine-stained undershirt soaked in tears.

He Left The House...But He Can Never Go Home

mdemone fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

greatn posted:

Wolf Blitzer is definitely worse than the worst Fox anchor.

Jesus christ.

• Locked thread