Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
This is Martin Scorsese. He's just had a bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Dreggon posted:

the other contender for Gaston's name was Caesar

Don Corleone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"Leave the gun. Take the peanuts."

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Padje posted:

:3: :3: :3:
So adorable!

I love little wet floofs. Sometimes Sammy, if I'm ignoring him, will dunk himself and then try again, like it's more effective if he's wet. Bird logic.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Look at that budgiefamily :kimchi:

The Narrator posted:

Curiosity Rover Jones is still a great name for a birb. It's been on my mind for days :3:
Seriously, every time I read it it just kind of tickles me.

Dreggon posted:

Yesss yardbird.

Padje posted:

Everything about this, from caption to picture, is perfect.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

doctorfrog posted:

Baby parakeet update: emerged from his nest box today and joins his parents! So proud.

Baby's on top, haven't named him yet, and below are Curiosity Rover Jones and Potassium, the parents!

Jesus, I can't get over how cute this is. You have the best budgies.

I third Argon as a name. :kimchi: Also, Curiosity Rover Jones is just an unspeakably badass bird name and I wish I'd thought of something equally as cool for my potatoes.

Speaking of: potato cage arrived. It's heavy. Also, turns out Montana cages are made in Germany and all the English on the instruction leaflets is hilariously bad.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bird #3 decided to ask to join me on the desk, then sort of cuddled up to my arm in desperation for preening (with a bunch of chewing on my body armour/anti-conure protection/hoodie)

Then when I stopped after the last photo he instantly launched himself at my arm and latched on so I just lifted him up and he was very confused why he was upside down in the air and his assault wasn't working

Space bird

Padje posted:

Those colours :3:

painted bird posted:

Speaking of: potato cage arrived. It's heavy. Also, turns out Montana cages are made in Germany and all the English on the instruction leaflets is hilariously bad.

Wait, potato or conure? Or.... both :v:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tsaedje posted:

Couldn't resist making it loop

I want to believe it's the world's smartest cockatiel trying to remain in cover, but I know it's just a feathered retard trying to figure out how to climb up a smooth table leg.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay this is low effort, but anyway.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dreggon posted:

All cockatoos of a given species tend to look the same, but Gaston always seems especially huge and puffy.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Gaston's not only managed to fledge and leave the nest and grow up, but he's managed to get to almost the top of of the pecking order. Dude's just swole from a high protein diet consisting of the flesh of his foes (and Dreggon)

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
Is anyone going to the Baltimore Bird Fanciers show and mart this Saturday?

http://www.baltimorebirdfanciers.org/FallBirdShow.htm

Mr. Chicken and I are planning to go, we've never been to an actual judged bird show, and I'm excited at the idea of seeing a batch of prize winning lovebirds. We've both swore that we're not going to get any birds, toys are totally acceptable though! It's gonna be a 5 to 6 hour drive, so we're staying overnight and gonna hopefully go a few other spots too. Anyone got bird store ideas in the Baltimore area?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hm, I was planning on carpooling with Connie's person to the Annapolis Boat Show this weekend but I wonder if we could theoretically hit two birds with one stone...well, so to speak.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Birb superiority

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rod Taylor - Jessica Tandy

The Cockatoos

Alfred Hitchcock

"That isn't Gaston..."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is Gaston an escapee successfully gone feral or a wild who demands tribute like a Mongolian raider hangs out?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can still hear the deafening noise through the GIF

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I can still hear the deafening noise through the GIF
Right? As soon as I got to the last gif the deafening atonal cockatoo shriek started in my head.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So I forgot to mention I did end up calling the corporate customer service line on that one PetCo I went to. It got escalated and then I had the manager call me to explain the state of his birds. He claimed he got them checked out by a vet, the reason that her stool looked like it had blood in it was that she preferred red pellets, and that it was normal for that particular bird to stay in place all day. I didn't agree necessarily but I thanked him for calling and I'm hoping perhaps it might result in some good for those poor birds. At least I hope so.

I know I posted a bit earlier about Kiwi nuzzling, but that more more her getting startled by a noise and flying out of her cage and me putting her on my shoulder instead of right back in her cage. I'm still not certain what is the best to do, because I want her to be more bold but I don't want to scare her either.
However, she has been making leaps and bounds. For some reason, Kiwi very much likes me to rub her beak. I have to be careful not to hold it, because she freaks out, but rubbing she likes and it calms her down. I just started to transition more to head scratching. I'm not sure how to transition comfortable with touching her head to ok with being picked up or wanting her to explore more. I've been leaving it up to her, but she doesn't seem to care much.

Here's a pic of her enjoying a peanut. Excuse the dirty cage, it's been really hard to keep it clean because she won't let me pick her up or leave the cage so I've been stuck only cleaning the obvious messes.

Also, the bigger birds go through toys like mad. It's crazy. I've replaced all her old toys (almost all were the smallest nubs of wood somehow held together) that were given to me when I got her. She promptly destroyed one of the new ones and is well on her way through another.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

FEED ME, HUMAN

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Greys.jpg

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Speaking of Greys.

Aug 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Speaking of Greys.

nice

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ok, so I have a 4 week old parakeet and its mom and dad, posted the last pic I have of them here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513778&pagenumber=339&perpage=40#post451370202

Dad (Curiosity Rover Jones) only got to see Jr. for the first time about two days ago, and prudently stays out of his way. Just tonight I saw the most adorable thing. He approaches Jr. and tries coughing up some crop milk to feed him for the first time, but Jr. isn't taking it. After a few minutes of trying, dad continues coughing up bird barf and begins depositing it on the bars of the cage in little liquid beads.

A few minutes later, I come in to see Jr. licking the bars of the cage.

Ok one more pictureless vignette (sorry I know you folks thrive on images): mama bird (Potassium) is done feeding Jr. and starts preening his head, a motherly attention which he digs. But she's used to getting the lion's share of head scratching so she loses interest and instead and starts mashing her head into his beak. Jr's perplexed and moves around in this I don't know how to move out of your way yet, what did I do, oh god what is happening way and tries to get out of her way. She gets frustrated and gets on top of him and starts smashing her head onto him like, RUB MY HEAD YOU IMBECILE, LIKE THIS, and twists her head upside down rubs the top her head onto his. Poor Jr. just starts squealing, he doesn't know what's going on. It's like Seinfeld trying to get a massage.

Aug 24, 2011

treating me like a goddamn department store

yeah i see you staring

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would love to live in a place where you can put out bird food and receive cockatoos, would certainly be a harsh lesson for next door's cat.

Aug 24, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I would love to live in a place where you can put out bird food and receive cockatoos, would certainly be a harsh lesson for next door's cat.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:derptiel:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Dreggon posted:

treating me like a goddamn department store

yeah i see you staring

Can you ever leave your doors open, or is there a chance you'll wake up to a cockatoo flock destroying your living room? I like to think it goes like an older comedy. The boss is coming over, you just finished making dinner, and all of a sudden a single cockatoo lands on the roast. Then two more fly in. And then more. All of a sudden, 15 cockatoos are knocking over the crystal and swimming in the punch and oh no! Now you'll never get that promotion!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

Can you ever leave your doors open, or is there a chance you'll wake up to a cockatoo flock destroying your living room? I like to think it goes like an older comedy. The boss is coming over, you just finished making dinner, and all of a sudden a single cockatoo lands on the roast. Then two more fly in. And then more. All of a sudden, 15 cockatoos are knocking over the crystal and swimming in the punch and oh no! Now you'll never get that promotion!
I would hope that's a standard set-up in Australian comedy shows. If it's not, I'm disappointed in Australia as a continent :mad:

Aug 24, 2011

Shirec posted:

idk i guess i could leave a trail of sunny seeds leading into the house and see what happens

speaking as the kind of person who sticks his fingers into cockatoo beaks im not sure if its a good idea

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Invite Erasmus to dinner :3: Like Trig Discipline did with the Australian porchcat (possum?) in the YOSPOS cat thread.

E:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 15, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For the Melbourne edition replace the cockatoos with a pack of Kangaroos breaking down the fencing then destroying everything you hold dear in your garden.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since that last picture wasn't a bird, here you go :3: I love (((B)))

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

your bitey whiteys are amazing as always :allears: special mention to your rad Bast statue though

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Dreggon posted:

idk i guess i could leave a trail of sunny seeds leading into the house and see what happens

speaking as the kind of person who sticks his fingers into cockatoo beaks im not sure if its a good idea

This+webcam would be perfect

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Huxley has decided he loves showers. I generally fill both their dishes from above (after I wash and put them back) so I don't spill trying to hook the clips on, but his prerogative is to get his whole body over the water dish, go maximum fluff, and then get the water all over him instead. It takes me ten times as long to fill his dish and makes an awful mess but it's so cute I can't even be mad. :kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

This+webcam would be perfect
Can we somehow make this some kind of PI Toxx clause against Dreggon's will or is that frowned upon.

I mean, we're bird people. Why wouldn't we do mean, arbitrary things and then laugh about them? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Speaking of, where are your photos of Judah and videos of him doing cute poo poo huh? :colbert: