Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Coming from Netrunner, I feel like deck construction in Conquest is a million times easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blazing Zero posted:

i love ashes. its finely balanced and the dice are less fickle than you'd think thanks to individual cards and a mechanic all players get access to that switch die faces. there's only 3 symbols on each six sided die so mana screw or flood is made almost impossible.

Then why even bother having it as a mechanic? Is it to make the player feel like they have some sort of mastery over randomness?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Trashes

It's not good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know how the LCGs are ranked by sales? Netrunner is obviously number one, but what about the rest, presumably discounting agot since it's so new. My friend is afraid Conquest is on the chopping block, but I have no numbers to back up my claim that he's wrong.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone know how the LCGs are ranked by sales? Netrunner is obviously number one, but what about the rest, presumably discounting agot since it's so new. My friend is afraid Conquest is on the chopping block, but I have no numbers to back up my claim that he's wrong.

Where would that claim even be coming from?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

You can look at Amazon's top card game sellers. Last time I checked, Netrunner was up there with some of the more ubiquitous non-hobby games (top 40 ish?) and LotR was just outside of top 100

Edit:http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Toys-Games-Card/zgbs/toys-and-games/166239011
That only has the top 100, but it seems to be the same ordering as the "Featured" sort when you just look at everything in the Card Games category

Looks like AGoT is 65 right now and Netrunner is 94. I have no idea what metric they are using for "Best Sellers" so this might not be useful

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 13, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

S.J. posted:

Where would that claim even be coming from?

We were discussing L5R and he thought that Conquest would be cancelled by then. I think his argument was that Conquest has dick all for community around it, online or otherwise. I didn't want to press on numbers without any of mine to go on but I doubt he had anything more than gut feeling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If Conquest is ended by then it'll be by GW's choice, not FFG, for examples see the WHF card game and rpg line. FFG's production cycle looks to be about 18 months so unless GW explodes and reboots 40k like it did Fantasy Conquest is safe for now.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

After checking out a few of the big online retailers and sorting their card games by best sellers it seems like FFG must be making a lot of money off of LotR expansions. The Core Sets for various other games appear somewhere near the top but then it's just a sea of LotR expansions. I wonder if they'll ever consider another co-op LCG.

Edit: also, I'm kind of curious what they do with LotR in a couple years when the Saga expansions are wrapped up

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

He's nuts. I've talked to various people from FFG and apparently Conquest is doing better than Netrunner was at this time in Netrunner's lifespan. I suspect Conquest will be alive for years to come. I do think its online community is relatively weaker than other games, because a fair proportion of Conquest players are 40k fans who are into 40k and not really hooked into the "card game scene", but there's useful movement even on that - people have been really hyped locally following the release of the Tyranids.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think looking at the numbers of tournament players at Gencon level events is the best indicator for how well the game is doing. Remember that amazon will track core sales, and a game could sell a ton of cores to casual players that never pick up the expansion. So if you want a better guess for amazon sales, compare the order of expansion pack sales on the list.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

unless GW explodes and reboots 40k like it did Fantasy Conquest is safe for now.

Rumors in the pipeline that 40K is about 6-8 months out from having a similar meltdown.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

PJOmega posted:

Rumors in the pipeline that 40K is about 6-8 months out from having a similar meltdown.

Hasn't really stopped things like the Warhammer Quest card game from coming out that we've seen so far so I don't think I'd worry to much about that impact on FFG titles just yet.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Man, I traded away Conquest after only one play because my usual 1v1 gaming partner didn't seem that in to it, but every time it's brought up I wish I still had it. Sounds like there's a lot of game from just a core + tyranids and the ease of beginner-style deck building, especially when compared to Netrunner, makes it tempting to pick up again.

On an unrelated note I do not recommend trying to teach 2 novice card game players how to play AGoT2 at the same time. There is way too much text and too many things going on with three players. Surprisingly I found Netrunner to be much easier to teach, probably due to the hidden information and how new corp cards are revealed mostly one at a time.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
This is about the closest we have in published sales http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32099/top-10-card-dice-games-spring-2015

Waiting for summer numbers to be released

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Man, I traded away Conquest after only one play because my usual 1v1 gaming partner didn't seem that in to it, but every time it's brought up I wish I still had it. Sounds like there's a lot of game from just a core + tyranids and the ease of beginner-style deck building, especially when compared to Netrunner, makes it tempting to pick up again.

I'd feel a lot better about holding on to Conquest if there was any local interest. The players who didn't disappear during the drought before the Tyranid box were all AGoT players who have switched back to that with the reboot. It's my favorite competitive LCG by far, but I just wish I could get a few games of it once a month or so.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Devlan Mud posted:

I'd feel a lot better about holding on to Conquest if there was any local interest. The players who didn't disappear during the drought before the Tyranid box were all AGoT players who have switched back to that with the reboot. It's my favorite competitive LCG by far, but I just wish I could get a few games of it once a month or so.

That is unfortunately the law of board and card gaming in that you can only play what you have players for. I'm happy that L5R is becoming an LCG because at least I can get a few players in because of previous LCGs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any guides to GoT deck building? I've read that 30 characters and 9 limited cards is a good place to start, but I'm lost as far as archetypes and stuff. I really like the Starks play style so far.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Any guides to GoT deck building? I've read that 30 characters and 9 limited cards is a good place to start, but I'm lost as far as archetypes and stuff. I really like the Starks play style so far.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've gathered some decklists from folks who seem like they were good AGoT 1.0 players, have won some 2.0 tournaments, and/or have done a lot of testing. Obviously don't read if you want start completely fresh! I've already built my fair share of jank on OCTGN and am now trying to learn from others.

Targ Fealty
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/240/fire-and-blood

Bara Fealty
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/197/bend-the-knee-best-core-deck-

Lanni NA
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/233/lanni-na-varys

Greyjoy Fealty
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/95/salt-stone-and-steel

The next decks might be a little less tested/powerful but are supposedly pretty good and from competitive players:

Stark/Martell
http://thronesdb.com/deck/view/3572

Tyrell/Lanni
http://thronesdb.com/deck/view/3575

Stark/Greyjoy
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/146/winter-is-coming-stealth-edition-

Bara/Tyrell (people in the Team Covenant meta say there is a Bara/Tyrell deck out there that is better than Bara Fealty, might look like this)
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/217/growing-stag-3x-core-version-

Nights Watch/Martell (haven't found a really good nights watch deck yet)
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/224/black-hole-sun

Nights Watch/Bara
http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/214/ice-and-fire

Edit: Oh yeah, some observations from whether there were enough neutral cards in 3 cores to run two complete decks without proxies: I'm finding I often end up wanting to play 4+ Seal of the Hand, Put to the Sword, Tears of Lys, and Bodyguard between two decks. So umm, use opaque sleeves I guess!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Speaking of Conquest, FFG just put out some previews for the other half of Decree of Ruin. Apparently the new Tau warlord is all about making combos with IG. (Normally Tau can't ally with IG, but this one can.)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

NGDBSS posted:

Speaking of Conquest, FFG just put out some previews for the other half of Decree of Ruin. Apparently the new Tau warlord is all about making combos with IG. (Normally Tau can't ally with IG, but this one can.)

What's the astra militarium? Is looked at that link and was somewhat confused. Is it a new ig faction?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's the astra militarium? Is looked at that link and was somewhat confused. Is it a new ig faction?
It's the new name for IG that Games Workshop has been using in the wake of the failed lawsuit against Chapterhouse. Due to being idiots, GW managed to bring up several of their in-setting terms that were at least partially generic (Space Marine is an obvious example), and subsequently had them all stripped of any capacity to be copyrighted. So now out of legal spite and the like they've taken to renaming things like Imperial Guard, Storm Troopers, Sisters of Battle, etc. with more "suitable" names.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

I'm trying to think of what IG units would actually work well with Tau, but I guess I've literally never played an IG deck so I have no idea. Staging Ground and Catachan look phenomenal for ambush dickery, but if I recall, none of the non-vehicle IG units actually pack much of a punch. We'll see I guess?

Acid Maw art is pretty dope.

Also what is that, like 4 factions now that can have IG units in their deck? I kinda wonder why IG is getting passed around so much.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 13, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm deliberating over buying a 3rd AGOT2 core set or just holding on and waiting for the expansions. I'm not playing competitively so I think holding out is for the best.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Another deck list to add to that list above, in that first tier of decks:

Targ/Lanny
http://thronesdb.com/deck/view/2344
http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28460-the-second-deck-of-the-meta-a-new-hope-targlanni/

This is from Alexfrog of early Netrunner fame/notoriety heh

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I think if any current LCG is going to get the ax it's Star Wars. FFG has never manged to keep a good release pattern with that game. Really what I think FFG needs to focus on right now in place of a new game is their organized play and ensuring L5R goes well.

I have been thinking about how I'd have them do Worlds. My idea is have it where the World Championship Tournaments are invite only where the top 4 of National Tournaments and the Winners of Regional get invited to the World Championship. Then at the Worlds Event have a "open" Wildcard tournament for the last X slots for the Championship. That way the top level players are already locked in and don't get burned out so the finals are a better watch and the middle rank players have a better shot at getting a chance in the Swiss rounds for a slot.
In the case of Netrunner I'd have the Wildcard event be Swiss only and the Championship be double elimination brackets only, also allow the Wildcard players change their deck after the Swiss. That allows more more interesting decks since they don't have to survive the Swiss rounds first.

In the case of L5R I am kind of hoping that FFG spends 2016 doing open development of the game with the community taking part in it. Release their design documents and Print & Play tests for people to report back on. Kind of like what
Wizards of the Coast did with 5th edition DnD with constant playtest releases and surveys/play report requests to help build a new game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

LordNat posted:

In the case of L5R I am kind of hoping that FFG spends 2016 doing open development of the game with the community taking part in it. Release their design documents and Print & Play tests for people to report back on. Kind of like what
Wizards of the Coast did with 5th edition DnD with constant playtest releases and surveys/play report requests to help build a new game.

While community engagement is good idea in principle, the problem with your example is that we ended up with D&D 5e at the end, a product that is a step back from the previous iteration in terms of design. That is, you get something that is so steeped in "tradition" that it becomes detrimental to it. You need designers that understand what made L5R good, yet also understand what made L5R bad, without tradition getting in the way of either decision. I've never seen design by committee work in any productive way, and I'd much rather have a lead designer with a specific vision of what they want the game to be. I'm legitimately interested in what they're going to do with L5R and how they're going to handle it, especially with this huge (2 year!) lead in to the product actually coming out.

Then comes the hard decision as to whether or not I'm doing too many LCGs...

LordNat
May 16, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

While community engagement is good idea in principle, the problem with your example is that we ended up with D&D 5e at the end, a product that is a step back from the previous iteration in terms of design. That is, you get something that is so steeped in "tradition" that it becomes detrimental to it. You need designers that understand what made L5R good, yet also understand what made L5R bad, without tradition getting in the way of either decision. I've never seen design by committee work in any productive way, and I'd much rather have a lead designer with a specific vision of what they want the game to be. I'm legitimately interested in what they're going to do with L5R and how they're going to handle it, especially with this huge (2 year!) lead in to the product actually coming out.

Then comes the hard decision as to whether or not I'm doing too many LCGs...

That is a fair point. Mostly I am just worried that they are going to give L5R to Eric Lang (The guy behind Star Wars and Conquest) and he is going to use some kind of dumb Pod system like he always does. I feel that if he lead the team that fan interaction might waylay some of his odd design habits. But that said I am not sure he is even still in the LCG department so who knows what will happen.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LordNat posted:

That is a fair point. Mostly I am just worried that they are going to give L5R to Eric Lang (The guy behind Star Wars and Conquest) and he is going to use some kind of dumb Pod system like he always does. I feel that if he lead the team that fan interaction might waylay some of his odd design habits. But that said I am not sure he is even still in the LCG department so who knows what will happen.

I really can't see them making major design changes (such as pods) to a game like L5R that has an existing fanbase and alienating a lot of potential customers.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Eric Lang isn't exactly a one trick pony either.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Eric Lang isn't exactly a one trick pony either.

He does have weird design habits and makes over all kind of strange games.
I mean sure CoC and GoT 1.0 are great but he has mostly had a odd mishmash of gimmicky games since then. Dice Masters has been his biggest hit as of late.

IMO the best chance for L5R to be done right is having Nate French lead with Damon Stone helping out.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

The existing fanbase is going to be unhappy not matter what because the hardcores aren't going to be able to influence the course of the game and FFG won't give enough of a poo poo about the fiction to cater to the story fans.

Be prepared to listen to old players gripe endlessly about how there aren't sword tournaments and how they got to roleplay Hide Generico at Winter Court, and now even though the game is in better shape than it's ever been, by god those were the days. poo poo even now the stories you hear from players aren't usually reminiscing about what great games they had but rather are all stories about how awesome X deck was before people complained it was broken and it got errata'ed.

To be perfectly frank, FFG should give no fucks about the current L5R fanbase. Should they try to design the game as it was and keep the good things from it, certainly. Should they source their ideas from the current fans of the game? gently caress no.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

LordNat posted:

I think if any current LCG is going to get the ax it's Star Wars. FFG has never manged to keep a good release pattern with that game. Really what I think FFG needs to focus on right now in place of a new game is their organized play and ensuring L5R goes well.

I have been thinking about how I'd have them do Worlds. My idea is have it where the World Championship Tournaments are invite only where the top 4 of National Tournaments and the Winners of Regional get invited to the World Championship. Then at the Worlds Event have a "open" Wildcard tournament for the last X slots for the Championship. That way the top level players are already locked in and don't get burned out so the finals are a better watch and the middle rank players have a better shot at getting a chance in the Swiss rounds for a slot.
In the case of Netrunner I'd have the Wildcard event be Swiss only and the Championship be double elimination brackets only, also allow the Wildcard players change their deck after the Swiss. That allows more more interesting decks since they don't have to survive the Swiss rounds first.

Unless they lose the license, they aren't going to stop making SW games with all the star wars movies coming out over the next 5 years.

Serotonin posted:

I'm deliberating over buying a 3rd AGOT2 core set or just holding on and waiting for the expansions. I'm not playing competitively so I think holding out is for the best.

Get the 3rd core IMO. The extra economy cards [kingsroad and roseroad] allow you to build 4 decks with 3x each of those cards, and you want 3x Mel and 3x Bob, or 3x Tyrion and 3x Jaime and 3x Drogo, or 3x Asha and 3x Balon etc...

The 3rd core has hardly any 'unnecessary redundancy', completely worth it IMO.

This is probably the best core set they've made since I've been playing LCGs, with the possible exception of SW LCG, which allowed full playsets buying only 2 cores.

tijag fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 13, 2015

LordNat
May 16, 2009

tijag posted:

Unless they lose the license, they aren't going to stop making SW games with all the star wars movies coming out over the next 5 years.

I can see them ending the LCG and maybe releasing a simple version of it as a stand alone (like they have for Game of Thrones ) and just focusing on the miniature games. X-Wing is their big money maker right now anyways.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LordNat posted:

I can see them ending the LCG and maybe releasing a simple version of it as a stand alone (like they have for Game of Thrones ) and just focusing on the miniature games. X-Wing is their big money maker right now anyways.

I really don't think so, it's not like they are losing money on it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

They already released a standalone, heavily simplified version called Empire vs Rebellion back in 2014. Seeing as they just changed designers on the new cycle, I don't see them stopping printing now. If anything I would guess that the game won't get a second edition, but who knows. I'm pretty sure we'll see the full plan of cycles which takes the game through 2018.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I'm hoping someone can help me with a Titles confusion for the Game of Thrones melee mode. The rules references states:

Fantasy Flight posted:

If the players are playing a melee game, they now select titles for the round. In a joust game, this framework step is skipped.
First, shuffle the six titles facedown and remove one at random from the title pool. If three players are playing, remove two at random instead. If six or more players are playing, no titles are removed

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the strange way they are stating this, but I'm assuming it is:
  • 6 players: 0 titles removed, 6 titles to choose from
  • 5 players: 1 title removed, 5 titles to choose from
  • 4 players: 1 title removed, 5 titles to choose from
  • 3 players: 2 titles removed, 4 titles to choose from

I feel like this could have been worded better. The confusion is exacerbated a bit by the learn to play guide not including the word "instead" so it makes it seem like at 3 players you remove 2 extra.

Fantasy Flight posted:

Melee Plot Phase, Step 3. Select Titles: Shuffle the titles facedown and randomly remove one of them from the pool for this phase by placing it on the table facedown near the treasury. (In a three player game, two titles are removed at random; in a six player game no titles are removed.)

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 13, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How are titles chosen in Melee? Draft? Who chooses first?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me with a Titles confusion for the Game of Thrones melee mode. The rules references states:

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the strange way they are stating this, but I'm assuming it is:
  • 6 players: 0 titles removed, 6 titles to choose from
  • 5 players: 1 title removed, 5 titles to choose from
  • 4 players: 1 title removed, 5 titles to choose from
  • 3 players: 2 titles removed, 4 titles to choose from

This is correct.

Bottom Liner posted:

How are titles chosen in Melee? Draft? Who chooses first?

You pick titles after resolving initiative, so they're drafted starting with First Player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

admanb posted:

This is correct.

Thank you!

admanb posted:

You pick titles after resolving initiative, so they're drafted starting with First Player.

Also, ties go to the player with the least amount of power/VPs, and then is randomly selected from any players still tied.