Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are both strange and dangerous, but I think it is pretty obvious who the overwhelmingly strange one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kumo-chan finds a new delicious thing to eat. :3:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Kumo-chan finds a new delicious thing to eat. :3:

Kumoko... Please do not eat babies.

Kumoko and Ariel make the best comedy duo. I love how obnoxious Ariel is just from having half of Kumoko in her psyche while the real Kumoko has all that potential but gets to be stoic and beautiful because she's so drat awkward. I hope they don't separate for a while, it's too fun to read.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kumo-chan only cooks with the highest quality ingredients. :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, looks like Meng Hao finally found a bit of peace. Though that will only last until vexation pops out of the mask with a bunch of corpses.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Largepotato posted:

Kumo-chan only cooks with the highest quality ingredients. :3:

Every time I'm worried Kumo's story is going to make a turn towards the worse, it comes back to prove me wrong. Even the side stories, which had been kiiiinda sketchy for awhile, had a satisfying end in their most recent arc and now I'm endlessly curious as to what happens next.

Kumo is really good

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the ISSTH recommendations; I was finally able to enjoy something without having to wade through psychopathic protagonists, rapists and other terrible attributes. I even had found some humor, which is really rare in this genre; though those poor guys in the mask that are stuck with Mr. Meat Jelly are in the worst form of hell.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks for the ISSTH recommendations; I was finally able to enjoy something without having to wade through psychopathic protagonists, rapists and other terrible attributes. I even had found some humor, which is really rare in this genre; though those poor guys in the mask that are stuck with Mr. Meat Jelly are in the worst form of hell.

Douluo Dalu is another good one in this vein. It's a lot more shonen-esque though.

With the exception of the weird rear end Grandmaster's love plot it's pretty tame insofar as horrible stuff goes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Also on the topic of novels with female (well, sorta, in this case) protagonists that are pretty good Tilea's Worries is pretty good. It's a bit more comedic but quite pleasant. A NEET with bad chuunibyou dies, reincarnates as a girl, and says this time he'll work hard and not gently caress up his life. But now her little sister starts having "chuunibyou" outbreaks and "pretending" she's the reincarnation of a demon general.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I might have found a new favourite web novel!

It's called Honzuki no Gekokujou and is the story of a 22-year-old librarian who literally drowns in books during an earthquake, but laments so not having read enough books in her lifetime that the gods (?) take pity on her and she's transplanted into the body of a sickly 5-year-old girl in a medieval fantasy world. Unfortunately her new family is poor townsfolk, and there are no books in sight, so she struggles long and hard to reinvent paper, ink and eventually the printing press, so she can fulfil her dream of surrounding herself with books again. Along the way her otherworldly innovation gradually raises her from rags to riches, as she climbs the social ladder and discovers at long last that there is in fact magic in this world.

Unlike other reincarnation stories, this barely features any monsters or magic early on, and focuses instead on social aspects and economic development, with far more political tea parties than action-filled battles. It's been going since late 2013, gaining enough popularity to warrant the release of paper novels last year, and they have the most adorable covers:

As of today it's about 4 million Japanese characters long, clocking in at 8300 pages. When the 5th arc started last month, the author announced that it would be the final part of the series, but she expects it to be as long as the 4th arc, which was around 3000 pages long, so there's a fair bit to go. For comparison, Kumoko is currently at 750k characters and 2000 pages. A manga adaptation is in development as well, apparently.

I don't know if there are translations of this yet, but I hope someone out there will get sick of the MMO stuff and take a look at this instead. Being written by a (married) woman and featuring a female protagonist makes it pretty refreshing after all the boyish action harem stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That looks pretty cool, so naturally there are no translations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

In unsurprising news, Kumoko is the meanest drunk. :(

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

darkgray posted:

In unsurprising news, Kumoko is the meanest drunk. :(

upcoming chapters posted:

Oni 5 The trampled one
Blood 16 Along the way
Blood 17 The Demon King of money
Blood 18 Abnormal Condition 「Drunkard」
211 Vampire training plan

I cannot wait

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 14, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Adelheid posted:

I cannot wait

It's mostly Blood 21 where it gets proper crazy, so slightly longer wait.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

I might have found a new favourite web novel!

It's called Honzuki no Gekokujou

Thanks for the recommendation.
Bookmarked for when I'm caught up with the Kumoko (just started today)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

Thanks for the recommendation.
Bookmarked for when I'm caught up with the Kumoko (just started today)

If you have a Kindle, you can use Aozora Epub to drag Narou links straight into the application window and it will poop out a combined Kindle book file. Really handy for long reads.

Just wish the Kindle's word highlighting software wasn't so insanely bad.

Also, Honzuki can be pretty slow, spending hundreds of pages describing paper refining processes, so a spoon of patience is helpful. Still love it, though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

If you have a Kindle, you can use Aozora Epub to drag Narou links straight into the application window and it will poop out a combined Kindle book file. Really handy for long reads.

Just wish the Kindle's word highlighting software wasn't so insanely bad.

I have one. The problem can be "solved" by sending the files to that amazon address that syncs them to your kindle. If you do that, it adds whatever is necessary for the kindle to know where the words end instead of always selecting the whole line.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

I have one. The problem can be "solved" by sending the files to that amazon address that syncs them to your kindle. If you do that, it adds whatever is necessary for the kindle to know where the words end instead of always selecting the whole line.

Uuuuh, sure wish I knew about this months ago. So much time spent trying to move those goddamn highlight edges.

Doesn't seem entirely smooth to mail myself the same 21MB book every day when there's a chapter update, however. :(

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I haven't found a way to do it locally, sending it through amazon seems to be the only way so far.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I found a thing, but I guess they gave up immediately?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

darkgray posted:

I found a thing, but I guess they gave up immediately?

That's unfortunate. I was looking forward to reading it after you posted that blurb above.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The librarian novel seems interesting and it's too bad we don't have a will donate for translations thread.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yo I'm actually starting to build up enough steam with retranslating Kumoko that I might legit work on this librarian thing as well. I'll take a look this weekend to see if the first few chapters are within my meager abilities.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

blastron posted:

Yo I'm actually starting to build up enough steam with retranslating Kumoko that I might legit work on this librarian thing as well. I'll take a look this weekend to see if the first few chapters are within my meager abilities.

Whoop. Best of luck.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Oni 5 :gonk:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

loving Summoner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kumoko definitely shouldn't have been so lenient with him.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Oh I didn't even realize he was the same summoner from earlier. Yep, his death will be satisfying.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That was incredibly brutal and it is going to have an incredible resolution. I am excited.

Also, Kumoko is the best mom.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
While MGA certainly isn't high literature and far from the best mentioned in the thread at least the author seems like a genuine nice guy as he was approached by RWX and even made a video for the English Fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tM2SuwwZG0

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The last few chapters of Tales of Demons and Gods have been something special allright. Good lord. Even in the creepy world of creeper LN protagonists, this is spectacular.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Bad Kumo-chan, bad. No eating the baby. :3:

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
Hai to Gensou no Grimgal anime announced.

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpEaUKQVE00

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Bad Kumo-chan, bad. No eating the baby. :3:

Ha ha, she got a peek at the real Kumoko and was horrified.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna read whatever kumo chan is once someone tells me what it is and gives me a link to read it and some fanart

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm gonna read whatever kumo chan is once someone tells me what it is and gives me a link to read it and some fanart

It's about a goony girl who reincarnates as a giant spider: http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

Does the picture of a spider at the top of the page count as fanart?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It's about a goony girl who reincarnates as a giant spider: http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

Does the picture of a spider at the top of the page count as fanart?

No, but I'm definitely gonna block it out

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Namtab posted:

Here you go

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, it's got those crazy eyes. Acceptable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Accurate, except for one thing:

Spider gotta eat!

• Locked thread