Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ChogsEnhour posted:

Has anyone played "The Magic Circle"? It's an FPS from the POV of a games tester stuck in a half finished game and you have to dick around with the code of the game to, say, turn mushrooms into personal attack dogs.

Only got the demo because James Urbaniak does one of the voices, but it seems like it'd be a game with a lot of great little touches. Didn't see much in the demo, unfortunately and I'm not sure if it's worth 15 quid or not.

I really liked it. The main story is quite short (good though I thought), but I think the emphasis after that is more on exploring and messing about really. There's a ton of collectibles.

Plus you can designate basically anything to be the ultimate weapon. I think the categories are movement type, attack type, and special things, along with all sorts of AI options. I went for a mushroom. Actually, the creature stuff is really great. Like you take away all the attributes of an enemy and it's basically a head that just stares at you but can't do anything. Then you hack into it again and make it useful. It is the main thing of the game really, finding a thing that has an ability you need and then taking it.

Changing attributes changes what they look like as well, so with a movement type like ground it grows legs and can follow you, or it can have float and then it hovers in the air on a cloud but can't move, or it can fly or so on. Adding melee attacks is pretty great too, they might get teeth, some of the robots grow big saw arms, and so on.

I'm not sure how much of the game the demo is, but I'd imagine if you liked the first hour or so you'd probably like the rest? Gameplay doesn't particularly change much throughout, you just get more things to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Novum posted:

My dude, if mgs5 is using sprites i will absolutely buy it

Well, whatever, his model. Doesn't "sprites" describe 2 or 3d objects?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
They're those lights at night that lead children astray and trick you into drowning in the moors.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Buzkashi posted:

Well, whatever, his model. Doesn't "sprites" describe 2 or 3d objects?

Yes friend. Don't worry you are still right.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

In MGS5 the other day, I held up a guy on the edge of a cliff and demanded he get down. When most of his sprite shifted over the ledge, he very neatly and quietly dropped to his death. He followed the letter of the law if not the spirit, I'll give him that.

got you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB58fsjyWHc

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
In mass effect 2, punching the reporter was too satisfying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Beyond Fallout, Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2 I need a new game where I can choose to murder every named character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Beyond Fallout, Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2 I need a new game where I can choose to murder every named character.

Hey, there's Undertale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pretty sure this is possible in DXHR, even if some of them have to be indirect "chose not to save" or "chose cutscene variant that leads to death" type murders.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Divinity: original sin (and I think 2) will allow this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, there's Undertale.

Where are all the evacuated people hiding? And how do you kill the turtle guy?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RareAcumen posted:

Where are all the evacuated people hiding? And how do you kill the turtle guy?

By destroying the entire world

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tetracube posted:

By destroying the entire world

Okay, that works, never thought of it that way.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Grimlook posted:

In mass effect 2, punching the reporter was too satisfying.

In mass effect 3 NOT punching the reporter was more satisfying.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Crusader Kings. If you're Greek you can blind and castrate everyone instead.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Let me tell you about Dark Souls...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

haveblue posted:

Pretty sure this is possible in DXHR, even if some of them have to be indirect "chose not to save" or "chose cutscene variant that leads to death" type murders.

Just off the top of my head, I don't think there's any way for the Tongs to die.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Just off the top of my head, I don't think there's any way for the Tongs to die.

It is, however, possible for the vast majority of people to die in that game. i went through a bad time in my life two years ago and systematically depopulated several cities in DXHR as stress relief.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tiggum posted:

Right, I forgot about them. Can't have Adam causing any time paradoxes.

You can kill the entire cast of DXIW, though. One of that game's few redeeming features.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amorphous Blob posted:

In mass effect 3 NOT punching the reporter was more satisfying.

I was impressed that she ducks the first suckerpunch in ME3. Didn't help her dodge the second one though :smuggo:.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

haveblue posted:

You can kill the entire cast of DXIW, though.

Except for the people who never leave weapon-free zones. I vaguely recall there being a bug you can exploit to kill them, but I've never tested it so I don't know if it works reliably. Anyway, it shouldn't count because it's cheating.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Except for the people who never leave weapon-free zones. I vaguely recall there being a bug you can exploit to kill them, but I've never tested it so I don't know if it works reliably. Anyway, it shouldn't count because it's cheating.
You could kill Billie Adams in the start of Invisible War by giving her a shower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-_YcM9ic6M
Apparently it actually killed her dead too. The game would crash when you were meant to meet up with her in other areas.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Croccers posted:

You could kill Billie Adams in the start of Invisible War by giving her a shower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-_YcM9ic6M
Apparently it actually killed her dead too. The game would crash when you were meant to meet up with her in other areas.

Something something augmented ubermensch something something banned in Germany something Godwin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can kill everyone in Arcanum. I think you might still need to bind their ghosts to your service to get information out of some of them though, but that’s really only bringing them back for a bit so it doesn’t count.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Dark Souls 1, you fight Dragonslayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough, and their fight music has two parts to it. In Dark Souls 2, you fight the Old Dragonslayer alone, and his theme is a remix of the original song. The part that is presumably Smough's is missing from it, since he's not there. It's a pretty badass theme too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrcmJQencc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In the original Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War i like the loading screens before the start of a mission. It shows you a tactical map of the planet you are fighting on with the positions of the various factions, which is updated after every mission. The most noteworthy aspect is the increasing threat of the Orks on the planet, making it really obvious anyone sticking around is really screwed. The Space Marines spent the second half of the campaign dealing with Eldar and pursuing Chaos Marines, so the loading screens are a nice reminder that the Waaagh! is still a thing even though you no longer fight Orks.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eventually the camera feed dies and the loading screens are replaced with an error message. It was a simple way to escalate things and show how messed up the situation was, which is cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

In Dark Souls 1, you fight Dragonslayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough, and their fight music has two parts to it. In Dark Souls 2, you fight the Old Dragonslayer alone, and his theme is a remix of the original song. The part that is presumably Smough's is missing from it, since he's not there. It's a pretty badass theme too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrcmJQencc

Speaking of those two shitlords, if you read all the dumb item descriptions you learn that Ornstein was a loyal knightly knight who did his duty like a good soldier should. He also killed dragons. Smough on the other hand was a crazy fucker who liked to kill and eat people. He was also loving jacked despite wearing armor that made him look like the fattest man alive. So when you fight them, whoever you kill second powers up from the dead guy or whatever. When you kill Smough first, Ornstein does a little respectful thing over the body and grows giant. If you kill Ornstein first? Well it turns out that Smough was always jealous of Ornstein because he was never a real knight. What with being a crazy violent nutjob no one ever liked or trusted him all that much. So he crushes Ornstein's body with his hammer, only you see Ornstein start to move right before he brings the hammer down. Murdering his partner and eating his soul or whatever. :darksouls:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of those two shitlords, if you read all the dumb item descriptions you learn that Ornstein was a loyal knightly knight who did his duty like a good soldier should. He also killed dragons. Smough on the other hand was a crazy fucker who liked to kill and eat people. He was also loving jacked despite wearing armor that made him look like the fattest man alive. So when you fight them, whoever you kill second powers up from the dead guy or whatever. When you kill Smough first, Ornstein does a little respectful thing over the body and grows giant. If you kill Ornstein first? Well it turns out that Smough was always jealous of Ornstein because he was never a real knight. What with being a crazy violent nutjob no one ever liked or trusted him all that much. So he crushes Ornstein's body with his hammer, only you see Ornstein start to move right before he brings the hammer down. Murdering his partner and eating his soul or whatever. :darksouls:

More than just that: Smough had a history of not respecting the dead (he was a cannibal, you see) and it's heavily implied that Ornstein was the only one who was able to put up with his poo poo. Smough grinding his partner into dust shows how much he cares about him after death.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Gods Eater Burst has a nice little thing. The game gives you NPC allies that you can bring on missions with you, one of them being a healer/gunner who's shots work more like a flamethrower than most regular types of weapons. If you're hit by this, you get sent flying. A lot of your time is spent in melee with the enemy she's targeting, and her AI doesn't check for friendlies before firing, Cue her ingame file noting her many, many friendly fire incidents, and some NPC allies being scared of working with her.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Huge, huge Metal Gear Solid V spoilers:

I love that "The Man Who Sold the World" that you hear in-game is a cover. It really speaks to how the main character, Venom Snake is essentially a copy/cover version of Big Boss. I saw that on the iTunes store, that all the songs you'd get off of the tapes that are the originals in-game are covers.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ChaosArgate posted:

More than just that: Smough had a history of not respecting the dead (he was a cannibal, you see) and it's heavily implied that Ornstein was the only one who was able to put up with his poo poo. Smough grinding his partner into dust shows how much he cares about him after death.

And if you try and sell his soul to Frampt, he offers you one soul for it. Everyone thinks Smough is a piece of poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And if you try and sell his soul to Frampt, he offers you one soul for it. Everyone thinks Smough is a piece of poo poo.

For reference, actual poo poo is worth 200 souls. :haw:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Really, Smough is just some dude who is helping Ornstein because he wanted to join the Four Knights but never could due to the above mentioned monstrous tendancies, he's more or less a fanboy.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The sidearm grenade launcher in Far Cry 4.
Its just the best thing to drive around and meet a red truck: "I see Ghale!!" FUMP, BOOM. No tedious aiming or long chase where some dick in a car takes down your body armor you just loving bought you goddamn prick! Just die!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This might be a stretch for "little things" but I really loved the weird tonal shifts in some of the Kirby games. One minute you're fighting a tree that's pissed off and throwing apples at you, the next Kirby's friends are being possessed by what amounts to The Thing in cloud form causing them to undergo weird rear end transformations. Levels tend to progress from happy green fields to oppressive factories and castles, and finally to fighting cosmic horrors that literally shoot blood at you and explode in unexpectedly gorey ways for a game about a pink fluff ball.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The wedding-party sequence in the new Witcher 3 DLC is fantastic.

The normally grumpy and sarcastic Geralt is (willingly) possessed by the ghost of a nobleman, who loves to get his dick wet and having a good time in general. The ghost proceeds to chase pigs around, flirt heavily with every woman at the party, and just being the polar opposite of Geralt. All of his lines are done by Geralt's voice-actor, and he even struts around instead of Geralt's normal walk. The best part is when the ghost (in Geralt's body) attempts solving his own Witcher contract, trying to track down a very drunk fire-breather.

The DLC is worth it for this part alone, and there's a bunch of other great quests as well.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Nuebot posted:

This might be a stretch for "little things" but I really loved the weird tonal shifts in some of the Kirby games.

Kirby on the Wii is a great version of this. In the beginning of the story, there's a cute little guy who crashed his spaceship on your planet, so you're going around and beating all the bad guys to get the spaceship parts. You help him get it all back together, then you travel with him to his homeworld to fight the big 4-headed dragon final boss of the game that originally made him crash in the first place.

But once you beat the dragon, you find out that it wasn't the bad guy at all, it was actually the hero of the planet who had a magic crown that the person you were helping wanted to steal. Wanted to steal to destroy the entire loving universe. It gets even more twisted from there, the crown itself basically turns him into a dripping eyeball demon by the time you get to the real final boss; it all ends up being a glorious WTF and a fight that's actually pretty intense since the boss gets to use all of the superpowers you've been earning during the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQZgjtqTNQk&t=384s

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

This might be a stretch for "little things" but I really loved the weird tonal shifts in some of the Kirby games. One minute you're fighting a tree that's pissed off and throwing apples at you, the next Kirby's friends are being possessed by what amounts to The Thing in cloud form causing them to undergo weird rear end transformations. Levels tend to progress from happy green fields to oppressive factories and castles, and finally to fighting cosmic horrors that literally shoot blood at you and explode in unexpectedly gorey ways for a game about a pink fluff ball.

Kirby 64 is a game that ends with you meeting an angel that weeps blood and lives in a black hole and killing it by shooting it in the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

The wedding-party sequence in the new Witcher 3 DLC is fantastic.
Reminds me: there's a mission in Saints Row 3 where you disguise yourself as the enemy military commander to infiltrate their base. The disguise includes changing your voice to his; Saints Row 3 allows you to pick one of seven voice sets during character creation, and they had the commander's VA record unique dialogue for each set, including the joke one that only does zombie grunts.