Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In that same room, opposite the sign is the edge of the screen. You can actually exploit the mechanics of the flower items to build a bridge that leads off of the screen in that direction, since the flowers stop moving and form the bridge because the edge of the screen counts as a wall.

However, the developer planned for this, and you can actually walk off of the screen to go to a special hidden area there where you can pick up a unique item that fully heals you (it's a delicious quiche).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Angry cosmonaut is still my favorite Metal Gear Solid boss. He didn't have much personality but I'll forever read his helmet as saying BEN.

My favourite little thing in MGS3 is when he says "I CAME BACK FROM SPACE"

(also p. much everything else in that game)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I only caught this on my second playthrough, but in MGS5 Ocelot casually means that he is (or was) in love with Big Boss. Like, really casually. There's no dramatic reaction or eyebrows going up in response, he just mentions it off-handedly but it's still an important point he's making (comparing it to how another character is falling in love with BB's legend rather than the reality).

I've known Ocelot was gay from reading on the wiki about him but I like how he was so laid back about mentioning it. :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know if they meant it in the romantic sense but it's not out of the realm of possibility because a man who does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y897tozJeg8

cannot possibly be all that straight.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

er, Flowey, is a malevolent creature that wants to hurt you. I let Flowey hurt me without realizing it meant to. Toriel, a bunny surrogate mom that wants to be your teacher, shooed him away.

....How do you confuse Toriel with a bunny?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ok so Mother 3 ends with proper musical-style curtain call, with a "cast" roll and medley of important (or at least character-relevant) musical themes. The part of the medley for the Mr. Saturns is amazing because like everything else about them their music is incredibly goofy, but in the music for the curtain call it misleads the listener for a second into thinking it's the militaristic pigmask theme and continues with a dramatic, bombastic rendition of such a silly song. :allears: I'd link but I'm phone posting.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Anatharon posted:

....How do you confuse Toriel with a bunny?

...What else would the white-colored, floppy-eared creature be?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

PubicMice posted:

...What else would the white-colored, floppy-eared creature be?

A goat (her sprite has small horns on it.)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Witcher 3

There's a murder mystery quest and Geralt gets caught up in the affairs. When you out the killer, their punishment is to be strapped to the rocks by the shore and be devoured by the monsters there like Andromeda. A dozen hours later and I'm by the shores of the isles and find the killer's character model strapped lifelessly to one of the rocks.

Nice bit of detail to what could have just been flavor text.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Oct 11, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Action Tortoise posted:

Witcher 3

There's a murder mystery quest and Geralt gets caught up in the affairs. When you out the killer, their punishment is to be strapped to the rocks by the shore and be devoured by the monsters there like Andromeda. A dozen hours later and I'm by the shores of the isles and find the killer's character model strapped lifelessly to one of the rocks.

Nice bit of detail to what could have just been flavor text.

I never got to see that, I can't remember what lead to it but her son is about to take the blame and to spare him she jumps off the cliff to her death. So i never got to see that. There are a whole bunch of ways TW3 can change, such a great game

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think it depends on who you partner with during the investigation.

Also there's two guards paraphrasing an exchange from Pulp Fiction and I thought it was just a random out - there Easter Egg but it also doubles as foreshadowing for a major character.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Oct 11, 2015

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
So, this thread hasn't nearly talked about Undertale enough, so let me mention one of my, rather spoiler free, favorite things about the game.

The game is built around combat where killing itself is completely optional. You can, and you're encouraged to, go through the entire game without killing a single enemy or boss. And every single encounter has enemy-unique ways of dealing with each monster, to dissuade them from fighting, and in my opinion is so much more interesting than other games like Deus Ex or Metal Gear where being non-lethal is just "shoot them with THIS gun but not this gun." It's a completely different way to play the game and it works amazingly.

Several enemies are dogs. You can pet all of them. You are encouraged to pet every dog. Typically several times. It's the best.

FighterKnuckles has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Oct 11, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tengames posted:

A goat (her sprite has small horns on it.)

Thanks for the ten page old call out, glad I now the true animal species of Toriel.

One other fun thing about Undertale is Mettaton, a recurring character that thrusts you into TV shows and makes you participate in ways that attempt to kill you. On a cooking show he does, you gather ingredients to bake, with the shocking last ingredient being: YOUR SOUL. He whips a chainsaw out when he says this. :allears:

After he says that, your buddy calls in and requests the show make a vegan version of the dish, without a human soul. You get redirected to a can of Human Soul Substitute on a counter which rockets upward at insane speeds when you approach it. Your friend lets you know that your cell phone has a JETPACK FEATURE, and you fly up to catch the can before your fuel runs out. After you complete all this, "thwarting" the cooking show plans, Mettaton drops the truth bomb: paraphrased: "Fine, you win. Oh, and you wasted your time getting that stupid can. Haven't you ever seen one of these shows? We've already finished making the dish beforehand. Idiot."

That happens in the span of about five minutes :allears: zero to goddamn sixty in this game

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Just found that in MGS5 if you exfiltrate a mission using an enemy vehicle you will hear a spray can being used during the mission results screen.
When you load up the free roam after that you'll be in a diamond dogs marked vehicle instead.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

:allears: zero to goddamn sixty in this game

There's one boss, a giant spider woman named Muffet, and before you get to where you would fight her, she's having a bake sale, where you can buy spider donuts or spider cider for 9999G each. If you buy one of these, you can skip her boss fight entirely. You can also bring one of the donuts or cider bought from the spiders way back in the very beginning of the game for 7 or 18G instead, and use it on the first round of the fight.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

There's one boss, a giant spider woman named Muffet, and before you get to where you would fight her, she's having a bake sale, where you can buy spider donuts or spider cider for 9999G each. If you buy one of these, you can skip her boss fight entirely. You can also bring one of the donuts or cider bought from the spiders way back in the very beginning of the game for 7 or 18G instead, and use it on the first round of the fight.

And if you buy both 9999g items, she says she knew you just cheated that money in, but appreciates the donation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thanks for the ten page old call out, glad I now the true animal species of Toriel.

One other fun thing about Undertale is Mettaton, a recurring character that thrusts you into TV shows and makes you participate in ways that attempt to kill you. On a cooking show he does, you gather ingredients to bake, with the shocking last ingredient being: YOUR SOUL. He whips a chainsaw out when he says this. :allears:

After he says that, your buddy calls in and requests the show make a vegan version of the dish, without a human soul. You get redirected to a can of Human Soul Substitute on a counter which rockets upward at insane speeds when you approach it. Your friend lets you know that your cell phone has a JETPACK FEATURE, and you fly up to catch the can before your fuel runs out. After you complete all this, "thwarting" the cooking show plans, Mettaton drops the truth bomb: paraphrased: "Fine, you win. Oh, and you wasted your time getting that stupid can. Haven't you ever seen one of these shows? We've already finished making the dish beforehand. Idiot."

That happens in the span of about five minutes :allears: zero to goddamn sixty in this game

Mettaton is great and an anime. The big climactic showdown with him is basically a ridiculous reference to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and it's incredible poses. Also in the beginning of the game there's a snowman who asks you to "take him somewhere far away" and you get a snowman piece, which is a good healing item. You do in fact get something if you keep one on you until the ending.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Tengames posted:

And if you buy both 9999g items, she says she knew you just cheated that money in, but appreciates the donation.

...For gently caress's sake, Toby thought of goddamn everything, didn't he?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

m2pt5 posted:

It's strange, though. He certainly thought of a lot of amusing things, but somehow, that makes it all the more grating when you do something that is out of the way, but there is no special response to it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It's strange, though. He certainly thought of a lot of amusing things, but somehow, that makes it all the more grating when you do something that is out of the way, but there is no special response to it.

This ventures into the other topic's territory, but I'm still kind of disappointed that like most moral choice games, there's no real neutral ending in Undertale. If you're neither a saint nor the most evil monster in the world, nothing loving happens. Here's your credits, bye.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why even post about it in this thread then

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I'd venture to say 'because it was immediately relevant to the last post in the discussion of the game' but why bother, let's just :shrek: instead eh?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Because my heart beats a little faster every time you post!

To contribute a bit more, then, Steambot Chronicles is a neat game that's basically easy mode Armored Core. One thing that's really cool about it that most games don't let you do, is that you can actually be evil. You can straight up join the villains and become a fake anime nazi. But that's not all! If you wear the uniform you gain a special salute action which can be used to intimidate NPCs into giving you free money.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

He put a message to cheaters in just about everything That you can think of. You can find a message to hackers in the following:
the first file in the game's audio if you rip it.
a written out message in the spritesheet found by ripping it all of the game's sprites.
A text file found by decompiling the demo's exe back into game maker source files
followed by another messsage in the full version of the game's script.
A message in the quiz show's script mocking you for trying to look up what the last question's awnser is.
a message in the website's source.
and another ending if you somehow manage to cheat your way to it without triggering all event flags properly..

Tengames has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Oct 12, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

This ventures into the other topic's territory, but I'm still kind of disappointed that like most moral choice games, there's no real neutral ending in Undertale. If you're neither a saint nor the most evil monster in the world, nothing loving happens. Here's your credits, bye.

Dog ending. :colbert:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
There's a character in Undertale whose existence is only hinted at if you use Cheat Engine.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

This is actually a bug. All that stuff is supposed to be super rare but not impossible to find. A line in the game's configuration file gets updated with the wrong capitalization, so only one of the five or six events ever occurs. However, the narrative of the game is such that the dataminers that found it didn't know if it was supposed to be broken or not until Toby Fox said he'd fix it in a later patch.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Because my heart beats a little faster every time you post!

To contribute a bit more, then, Steambot Chronicles is a neat game that's basically easy mode Armored Core. One thing that's really cool about it that most games don't let you do, is that you can actually be evil. You can straight up join the villains and become a fake anime nazi. But that's not all! If you wear the uniform you gain a special salute action which can be used to intimidate NPCs into giving you free money.

Steambot Chronicles is a chill game and I wish Irem had a chance to complete Steambot Chronicles 2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Steambot Chronicles is a chill game and I wish Irem had a chance to complete Steambot Chronicles 2.

I am sad every time I am reminded they didn't and all we got was that lovely PSP game. My favorite thing is the variations you can get in the ending my first time through I got the murder/suicide ending.

The music is memorable at least.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Has anyone played "The Magic Circle"? It's an FPS from the POV of a games tester stuck in a half finished game and you have to dick around with the code of the game to, say, turn mushrooms into personal attack dogs.

Only got the demo because James Urbaniak does one of the voices, but it seems like it'd be a game with a lot of great little touches. Didn't see much in the demo, unfortunately and I'm not sure if it's worth 15 quid or not.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So. Dangan Ronpa 2.

There's two things that are fuckin hilarious in this game that actually caused me to laugh out loud (so far, on Chapter 5 right now.)

1. It was an extremely common meme to call this game some stupid variations of words mashed together, like Benedict Cumberbatch's constant namechanges. In DR2, there's a museum you can go to that's mostly filled with random odds and ends written by the main villain of the series, Monokuma. Monokuma has a "Meaty Diary" in the museum which describes some bogus events with strange characters like his wife that is a Salmon and whatnot. One of them describes how he stole an invitation to be in a video game made by a video game company called Game Company S, which he was really hoping to be the four-sided RPG company he loves. Square :rolleyes:. Instead it turns out to be these weirdos called Spice Chunsoft... Space Chinsoft??? Something like that. To be in a game called Dangit Rupaul. Doggone RonPaul? He forgot that name too.

2. There's a character named Nekomaru who is a Team Manager, he's basically the ultimate coach and doles out tons of health advice and training tips so that you can be the best at whatever your hobbies/sports/etc. are. He puts a heavy emphasis on eating a good meal, and taking a good, powerful poo poo (literally his words) to keep you at the top of your game. Spoilers for DR2's Story and Nekomaru's character from here on out, don't read if you want to play this game yourself: Nekomaru gets offed by protecting another character named Akane that he trains with from being killed by Monokuma for breaking a school rule. Later on, some other people get killed. After the murder/trial that occurs after his death (not for him, the other two characters), Monokuma reveals that he has brought back Nekomaru... as a robot. Robot Nekomaru takes back his place as (Robot) Team Coach, except he is now sad because he can no longer take his good, powerful shits. In Chapter 4, he gets killed again, this time as the victim of another student, so he stays dead-dead from now on. However, the mechanic/tech-savvy character of the group, Kazuichi, scavenges some parts from Nekomaru and brings to the game... MINI-MARU! A tiny little alarm clock made of pieces from Mechamaru that has some soundbites built in from Mechamaru's robot brain or something. He'll occasionally pipe in with the stuff he always said before, which is pretty much all he said before. Within like 10 minutes of getting Minimaru, there's a scene where everybody is eating together, and Minimaru pipes up: "GOOD MEAL, GOOD poo poo".

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Has anyone played "The Magic Circle"? It's an FPS from the POV of a games tester stuck in a half finished game and you have to dick around with the code of the game to, say, turn mushrooms into personal attack dogs.

Only got the demo because James Urbaniak does one of the voices, but it seems like it'd be a game with a lot of great little touches. Didn't see much in the demo, unfortunately and I'm not sure if it's worth 15 quid or not.

Slowbeef did a quick playthrough of it. Looked a bit interesting if a little on the nose with its themes.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
More MGSV and I'm sorry.

If you're clearing an outpost, if you leave the last guy for DD, he'll throw his head back and howl. ARRROOOO!!!

Also, if you Fulton somebody while wearing a cardboard box, Snake doesn't take it off. He just reaches out from under the box and gets them.

This game is so fun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

samu3lk posted:

More MGSV and I'm sorry.

If you're clearing an outpost, if you leave the last guy for DD, he'll throw his head back and howl. ARRROOOO!!!

Also, if you Fulton somebody while wearing a cardboard box, Snake doesn't take it off. He just reaches out from under the box and gets them.

This game is so fun.

Men can drown to death in puddles if you knock them out face first in one. But they can't die of smoke inhilation if you gas them constantly. Konami, I demand satisfaction!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuebot posted:

Konami, I demand satisfaction!

Why do you think Quiet is in the game?

Armello has some really good art, and the gameplay is fun and addicting with some friends. One of my fave little things is going for a Rot victory which, to me, seems impossible.

Also loving how the cards are all(?) animated. Really brings them to life.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

samu3lk posted:

More MGSV and I'm sorry.
This game is so fun.

Never be sorry.

If you throw sleep grenades in a room the smoke will rise up and knock out guys on the floor above after a few seconds.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why do you think Quiet is in the game?

Armello has some really good art, and the gameplay is fun and addicting with some friends. One of my fave little things is going for a Rot victory which, to me, seems impossible.

Also loving how the cards are all(?) animated. Really brings them to life.

I really like how the OP of the Armello thread described the Rot Victory.

"Become more Corrupted by Rot than the King and twist his Rot against him in an epic super-villain brawl (the most difficult way to win but also the most metal)"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
In MGS5 the other day, I held up a guy on the edge of a cliff and demanded he get down. When most of his sprite shifted over the ledge, he very neatly and quietly dropped to his death. He followed the letter of the law if not the spirit, I'll give him that.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My dude, if mgs5 is using sprites i will absolutely buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Also, if you check the substitute can afterwards, you find out it's glued to the counter.