Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
^ I chewed out a few staff before figuring this out. Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cargo Cult IT always irritated me. I made the mistake of telling someone how to flush the dns cache once, and it became the wunderfix apparently the wunderfix. Printers not working? Better flush that ole dns cache, that didn't work? Escalate it to Rhyme because that fix he gave out isn't working.

Dropping and re-adding the PC to the domain was another one that cropped up. I did it because the machine account had gone missing from the DC (Read: An idiot deleted it), and this was the easiest way to fix. Meanwhile I had techs doing it because the machine couldn't get to google.

Phones seem to really confuse the gently caress out of our help desk. The poo poo they come up with to avoid going "Let me escalate this to telephony" was incredible. They would have people unplug the phone 2 times, or enter into service mode, then exit. My favorite was the help desk person told a user to unplug the phone, plug it in and while its rebooting press 2 on the phone a bunch. Telephony guy is frustrated as hell and calls up the help desk person to ask why they did that, they said they were told to that. He asked by who, person didn't answer. He asked again, the help desk person said that worked before.

Help desk person went to their boss to complain about feeling intimidated, the supervisor called our boss to complain and was laughed at. This lead to us finding out why the help desk avoided escalating phone tickets. Apparently our telephony guy had a reputation as a complete hardass because he had a bad week one time and sent back every ticket that was missing information. He also mentioned that he didn't want them troubleshooting the phones, just collect certain info and send it up. But I guess this made a hell of a mark.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Jesus wept.

Listen up motherfucker:

If you are going to put a skill in your skills section on your CV, if you are going to lead with a skill in a skills section, please know the loving skill.

If you put:

Storage: deviceName, deviceName, deviceName

On your CV, drat straight I am going to ask you about storage and configuration options of those devices. And when you reply that RAID-5 is better than RAID-1 for resiliency because it makes five copies of a file, I am now going to take a long and painful look at the rest of your skills, going deeper into everything there.

...but then, when I get to the next line on your resume, which is:

Operating Systems: Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS and Debian

and you cannot name five of the two letter commands, you are now Officially Wasting My Time and I will end an hour phone screen after ten minutes. Or I will make you cry during the longest hour of your life. Take your pick.

:argh:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Agrikk posted:

and you cannot name five of the two letter commands, you are now Officially Wasting My Time and I will end an hour phone screen after ten minutes. Or I will make you cry during the longest hour of your life. Take your pick.
:argh:

Did you make them cry? :f5:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I have heard of debian, ubuntu, redhat......

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Software Crap that pisses me off: the student clinic where I had a filling replaced has far less licenses for the röntgen image viewing software than it has students so I had to wait an extra ten minutes because they were hunting down someone who had left their patient's pics open and close them so they could view mine. Of course they can't just use Irfanview because

(Probably because the images are saved in some obscure proprietary format? Oh who am I kidding they're probably just JIFs or something.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

sent back every ticket that was missing information

If you don't do this every week you're not doing your job properly and should be fired, in my honest opinion.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Agrikk posted:

and you cannot name five of the two letter commands,

I don't have linux on my CV and it took me a few seconds to get four and a minute or so to get a fifth...

ll
ls
du
su

and

mv

now i've typed this up, I have remembered loads more :D

edit: does ll count, or is it a built in alias ?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

spiny posted:

I don't have linux on my CV and it took me a few seconds to get four and a minute or so to get a fifth...

ll
ls
du
su

and

mv

ll is an alias by default in rhrl/fedora, but not in e.g. debian

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

poo poo I'm just a clueless lurker and even I know cd from looking over a mate's shoulder. Gotta admire his balls I guess.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spiny posted:

ll
ls
du
su

and

mv

I'm a sysadmin, and just seeing that question pop out at me made my brain go blank, and all I could think was ls, ps, and cd....

Somehow its different being on the spot like that(even if you are doing it to yourself) from doing the things you do every day on the cli(cp, mv, rm, vi, df, id, ip)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bet if I sat down at a CP/M system I'd be able to do a lot more stuff than just cat which is the only command I can remember off the top of my head.

Interviews are bad :can:

e: Oh my god I forgot pip. *removes CP/M from CV*

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 13, 2015

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Got a request that is essentially a complete redesign of our main customer facing phone IVR menu, that is lacking specific details.
So naturally I remember from my last interaction with this person, that he prefers to talk face to face.
I am checking his calendar to not interfere with other appointments, but I am now on the third silently declined meeting invite without another suggested time.

I am rescheduling one last time then he can get my questions in an email again.

Oh and he keeps not replying to the invite until roughly 30 minutes prior to the appointment. :fuckoff:

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
Oh this networked plasma cutter stopped working 2 and a half years ago when our IT supplier at the time made some "changes" can you fix it please

shoot me now

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

pioneermax posted:

Oh this networked plasma cutter stopped working 2 and a half years ago when our IT supplier at the time made some "changes" can you fix it please

shoot me now

This is an Internet of things I can get behind. Please lock out/tag out, lest someone nmaps it at the wrong time and starts a cutting program.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

go3 posted:

Please tell me yall werent even licensed to be doing security installs, it'd just be the icing on the cake.

Of course not, we also weren't insured to do anything on their scissor lift. I know because we didn't actually rent it, we just used a few the client had laying around. I was trained and certified on that kind of thing at a job from years ago (I used to be a corporate jet mechanic and spent a ton of time working in a harness up on a jet tail), so my company was like "eh good enough, right?".

The worst part was that the job was for a really famous startup that it would have been great to keep working with and maybe turn into a job with them if I ever quit, but we burnt that bridge so bad there was no way to turn that into further work.

Basically that job was just as log as we churned clients slower than we got new ones we just stayed afloat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

These motherfuckers

"Hey bob we're having a big customer service conference on the 26th, we need a laptop to do the power point presentation on."

"Your boss Mike has a laptop. The company gave him and all the other managers a laptop."

"Well we can't use that one it has pop up ads"

"Bring it in a few days before your conference and well get rid of the pop-up ads"

loving christ.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Got a request that is essentially a complete redesign of our main customer facing phone IVR menu, that is lacking specific details.
So naturally I remember from my last interaction with this person, that he prefers to talk face to face.
I am checking his calendar to not interfere with other appointments, but I am now on the third silently declined meeting invite without another suggested time.

I am rescheduling one last time then he can get my questions in an email again.

Oh and he keeps not replying to the invite until roughly 30 minutes prior to the appointment. :fuckoff:

If you ACTUALLY want to get ahold of this person (instead of letting the request drop by the wayside), drop by his desk at a time you're reasonably sure that he is there, or a meeting room he's in according to his calendar, and catch him in the hallway. Tell him that you cannot proceed in this meeting without his input, and that the project can't succeed without his input. Ask him to make time for you, key words being "make time" since that's what he's doing right now by bouncing your invites in lieu of ones that just came up. Make him turn you into a priority.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Agrikk posted:

...but then, when I get to the next line on your resume, which is:

Operating Systems: Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS and Debian

This gets me both :smug: and :spergin: at the same time.

My initial reaction is "So you know three distributions, then."

Or maybe I'd say "two" instead of "three" just to see what the candidate says.

I'd be a terrible interviewer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Agrikk posted:

Jesus wept.

Ask candidates for their Linux abc's, a command for each letter in the alphabet.

Of course, the kicker is once the start rolling through, interrupt and ask them what it actually does.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We need to come up with the most thorough intense deep dive answer to the following boilerplate IT interview question "What happens when you type google.com into a browser bar and hit enter"? Starting with like photons and electricity, through machine code, binary, DNS, etc. Just as in depth as possible.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Cactus Jack posted:

Did you make them cry? :f5:

This guy, no. I was so irritated I cut him off mid-sentence with a ThankYouVeryMuchForYourTimeWe'llBeInTouch and hung up on him.

But yes, I have made two candidates cry in the last eight months. One I felt genuinely sorry for as she got super flustered and I don't think she could remember her name by the end of the interview. The other, though.

This guy was another time-waster who absolutely refused to admit he didn't know something and tried to shuck and jive his way through answers and I don't stand for that. So when he tried to bullshit his way through a multi-tier architecture question I didn't let up and kept digging and digging until he broke down.

Call me a dick, but I'm looking for people comfortable with what they know and don't know, who can deal with ambiguity, who think quickly on their feet without getting rattled and will raise the bar in our community. If you aren't a fit, I'll candidly let you know where your gaps are, but if you are trying to slip by I'm going to press you on it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We need to come up with the most thorough intense deep dive answer to the following boilerplate IT interview question "What happens when you type google.com into a browser bar and hit enter"? Starting with like photons and electricity, through machine code, binary, DNS, etc. Just as in depth as possible.

Well, first, the universe needs to be created...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

Ask candidates for their Linux abc's, a command for each letter in the alphabet.

Of course, the kicker is once the start rolling through, interrupt and ask them what it actually does.

I understand that it's hard to gauge how much interviewees know in tech, but gently caress this. What a useless brain exercise that's going to frazzle any good candidate outside of a total :spergin:

If you care that much set up a terminal and ask the candidate to complete a few tasks, then explain what they did. You'll get competency and personality.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tab8715 posted:

I did this to see how I would do. I got like 16 of the letters, and at least know the general ballpark of what the command does.

But I haven't ever used Linux professionally.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'd be a terrible interviewer.

You might be a great interviewer, actually. Challenging people on what they are sure they know is a great way to separate the wheat from the chaff. As long are you are doing it in a methodical and repeatable manner, you are absolutely avoiding what Randy Street calls "voodoo hiring". (From the book Who.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just the tech relating to the capturing of keystrokes and displaying them on the screen is enough to melt your brain.

You ain't going to be able to make that out of coconuts on a desert island.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I saw a pretty good description of that somewhere, it started with the mechanical process of pressing enter or clicking the mouse, talked about how IRQs work etc.

There was a link to it somewhere in one of these threads a year or two back.

Edit:

Oh, and there was a huge chunk devoted to figuring out which window had focus, which one was on top etc.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

I did this to see how I would do. I got like 16 of the letters, and at least know the general ballpark of what the command does.

But I haven't ever used Linux professionally.

Things pissing me off: I can't come up with a j-command. And I know it's going to annoy me later when one comes up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

18 Character Limit posted:

Things pissing me off: I can't come up with a j-command. And I know it's going to annoy me later when one comes up.

join!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
echo join | wc -L

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

18 Character Limit posted:

Obviously the default alias “j” for autojump :colbert:

Real answer, jobs

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Oh good, because I took one look at /usr/bin/java and thought "No, I don't run you willingly."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

echo join | wc -L

You want a two letter one?

jw(1). Interface to the docbook2*(1) commands that convert SGML/DocBook to HTML, PDF, RTF, man, etc.

edit: Are we counting shell builtins? I hope so.

as, bc, cp, dd, ex, fc, gs, hg, id, jw, ls, mv, nc, or, ps, rm, su, ts, vi, w, xz

That's all I've got. Nothing for K, Q, U, Y, or Z.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 13, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Journalctl

"ls /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin | grep ^..$" from RHEL7 minimal:

ar as bg cd cp dd df du ex fc fg id ld ln ls mv nl nm od pr ps rm sg sh su tr ul vi wc xz ip ss tc

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 13, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Software Crap that pisses me off: the student clinic where I had a filling replaced has far less licenses for the röntgen image viewing software than it has students so I had to wait an extra ten minutes because they were hunting down someone who had left their patient's pics open and close them so they could view mine. Of course they can't just use Irfanview because

(Probably because the images are saved in some obscure proprietary format? Oh who am I kidding they're probably just JIFs or something.)

Almost certainly it's some kind of DICOM viewer. And if they don't have enough licenses it's probably because you are at a dentist's and dentists universally don't know what the gently caress. Especially for it comes to x-ray.

Harrumph. :colbert:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"User is logged out of sharepoint, and needs access immediately."

I ask questions, if there's any error message when he tries to log in (because I'm assuming logged is a typo for locked).

"I don't know, he called me and said that he couldn't access email."

I don't even know how the gently caress someone can get sharepoint and email mixed up. And she also asked if there was a desk number he could call to reach me, which is a pet peeve. We have basically one and a half people on the desk, we can't have people line jumping by calling us. On the other hand, he can't get email updates to tickets, so I actually do have to call him.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, today was the big 90 minute training to review the results of the SDI personality test garbage. I didn't take the test, so I was "removed from the session" and actually got some work done. The other new employees described how the session went and it's pretty much what I expected. Two sets of three numbers. The first set describes how you rate on altruistic, analytical, and assertive.

Then, you get this diagram with some kind of lovely arrow.

Supposedly, the arrow that is drawn on this triangle (as determined by the second set of values) says things about you. A long arrow means you take longer to get angry or something...

At this point in the description, I realized this is exactly what I feared it to be. There's no way in hell I'm doing this garbage. I'm a software engineer, so I have plenty of options if they decided that not taking this poo poo is somehow fireable.

The best part is the test for this poo poo? 20 questions with 3 answers each that you must distribute 10 points across. So, they use these values to generate the 2 sets of 3 scores. No way in hell I'm letting 20 questions define who I am as an employee. HR can FOADIAF

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
If they make you do the test, answer the middle on everything, and tell them you are in fact the worlds most boring person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Skandranon posted:

If they make you do the test, answer the middle on everything, and tell them you are in fact the worlds most boring person.

I was thinking that, or answering extreme 10 on one side. It wasn't that difficult to see which answers were for which scores.