Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Wow Terry's a dick. He's basically Sonic the Hedgehog but as a swordguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crimson Harvest posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Hope you fuckers that want more DQ in the west bought this game because Square Enix is basically holding the series hostage at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Machine posted:

Hope you fuckers that want more DQ in the west bought this game because Square Enix is basically holding the series hostage at this point.

I'll probably be buying it this weekend.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I ordered the collectors edition from the SE store, so I still have about a week-2 week wait. I'm pretty excited to play this though. I've never been huge on Musou games but Hyrule Warriors was pretty fun and I hear that this one is even better than that in many ways.

I'm just really happy that I'm able to buy a new DQ game over here after what feels like forever. I'm even thinking of just buying all the iOS versions just to throw all of my support at the series. (Even if that's not exactly the form I want new releases to take)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Square will get my money again when they give me something I actually want.

(Also I have no PS4)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I want to play DQH really bad, but not enough to buy an expensive console to play it

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Was waiting on a really cool "I WANNA PLAY THAT" game before getting an inevitable PS4; this was The One :staredog: Already got the PS4, but the week is largely occupied by work. I'll be grabbing it on the weekend though!

Also I was under the impression that Dragon Quest games did well in the west and that #7 not coming here on 3DS was just some ginormous mystery (similar to how FF Type 0 was passed over when it was just on PSP). Guess I'm wrong :(

Geop fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 13, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's really been this teetering thing ever since DQVIII, I was surprised we got the DS remakes and IX.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I will get it this weekend because I want these fuckers to release that Dragon Quest Monsters remake over here the CUNTRAGS

EDIT: Localize Dragon Quest stuff more frequently in general, we've missed a bunch of cool releases.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 13, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I want the DQM remakes so so bad.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

mikeycp posted:

I want the DQM remakes so so bad.

And the 3rd Rocket Slime game that I didn't know existed until this week

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Geop posted:

Was waiting on a really cool "I WANNA PLAY THAT" game before getting an inevitable PS4; this was The One :staredog: Already got the PS4, but the week is largely occupied by work. I'll be grabbing it on the weekend though!

Also I was under the impression that Dragon Quest games did well in the west and that #7 not coming here on 3DS was just some ginormous mystery (similar to how FF Type 0 was passed over when it was just on PSP). Guess I'm wrong :(

Type-0 got passed over because it was a super late PSP title and that console was effectively dead in the West way before Type-0 even started development.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Crimson Harvest posted:

Less that and more this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XA-4B2d4L18

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Which game is Terry from? Wasn't the DQM kid named Terry? Are there two Terrys? Is that two Terrys too many!?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which game is Terry from? Wasn't the DQM kid named Terry? Are there two Terrys? Is that two Terrys too many!?

He's from VI and also DQM as a child.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Related, on buying the game & future DQ titles: http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/6/8902491/more-dragon-quest-games-could-come-to-north-america-if-dragon-quest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite character is Bianca who is absolutely cartoonishly powerful at clearing waves while also being effectively at single target damage. Her charge bow attacks are comically good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I am happy that the guard characters both have unique personalities instead of just being "THE ONE WITH BOOBS" vs "THE ONE WITH A DICK". Also ImpAtom was right that the girl is objectively the best choice. Just constantly shutting down her partner's nerd babble with 'yea I'm just gonna fight monsters'.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, I can't believe Dragon Quest Heroes is single-player only. That reduced my excitement for the game so freakin' much.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So if I never played a dynasty warriors but love dragon quest how is heroes?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's very very good and fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

So if I never played a dynasty warriors but love dragon quest how is heroes?

It's pretty good. It's honestly just 'what if Dragon Quest was an action-RPG" more than anything. It has some annoying elements but they are largely the game trying to stick to nostalgia for Dragon Quest where it probably shouldn't. Which is a pretty common franchise problem. (The menu and inventory interface is way more fuckin' archaic that it should be or is in other Warriors games largely because of that.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do have one question to anyone else that got an early copy; is silver bars/nuggets used in anything, or can I sell them?

EDIT: thirding that it is real good.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 13, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's Dynasty Warriors style but there's a ton of DQ love slathered onto it, and poo poo like enemy coins, genuinely different enemy types rather than different uniform colors, and the giant fights do add a ton to the style, not to mention all the RPG elements. If you love DQ you absolutely 100% need this.

Also Alena, already the best character, has the best lovely Russian broken english possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I do have one question to anyone else that got an early copy; is silver bars/nuggets used in anything, or can I sell them?

EDIT: thirding that it is real good.

As near as I found silver/gold stuff is just for selling.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

ImpAtom posted:

As near as I found silver/gold stuff is just for selling.

Yeah but I bet platinum is used for something, cause in DQ8 and 9 it is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wow I bet that game really sucked!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kirios posted:

Wow I bet that game really sucked!

It's kind of just banal and mediocre. I don't understand who wanted to see Sonic and Knuckles and Shadow as King Arthur's Knights but I mean somebody did so there you go

It would have almost been good if the level design and boss battles weren't crap

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Holy poo poo. Kiryl's tension finisher is amazing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The dub is so charming. I love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually really like the original characters. The BIG CHEERFUL KING who loves to fight is awesome and feels helluva like a Dragon Quest character.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The audio coming out of the controller thing is really weird.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I actually really like the original characters. The BIG CHEERFUL KING who loves to fight is awesome and feels helluva like a Dragon Quest character.

I legit had to google to be sure he wasn't a character I forgot who just somehow went on to become king. They did good making all the new things fit into the DQ style well. No brooding bullshit, no angst, just a big dumb tactics nerd and his friend who wants to fight poo poo serving their jolly king who fights with magic portals and hammers because why not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I turned my PS4 speaker off ages ago so I never noticed!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I legit had to google to be sure he wasn't a character I forgot who just somehow went on to become king. They did good making all the new things fit into the DQ style well. No brooding bullshit, no angst, just a big dumb tactics nerd and his friend who wants to fight poo poo serving their jolly king who fights with magic portals and hammers because why not.

Yeah, they fit pretty much perfectly. it's an interesting comparison to Hyrule Warriors where the original characters are distinctly more Tecmo-Koei. Here they're pretty much slotted right in without breaking a beat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Audio can come out of a PS4 controller?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I will say that the localization is more...reserved? Not exactly low energy, but they've put the peak of emotions a lot lower for the cut scenes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

I will say that the localization is more...reserved? Not exactly low energy, but they've put the peak of emotions a lot lower for the cut scenes.

Yea my one issue with it is there are a LOT of low energy lines where it feels like the Japanese version probably has them more forceful. It doesn't wreck the game but every so often you have a moment where you think 'she seems kinda calm for someone telling me we need to fight this giant golem before the city walls crumble'.

Still I'd agree with the rest that the dub is very well done as a whole, which is always a rare treat in these kinda situations. I'd switch to Japanese but I'd lose out on Alena's hilarious blend of 'sweet young girl' and 'I will break you' Russian depending on what's going on and that's not acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Little silly that the slime weapons are outclassed by something you can buy literally at the first shop.