Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Snowman Crossing posted:

The best part of all of this is I get to negate the vote of someone who is probably supremely well-informed, has the best interests of the public in mind, and supports righteous progressive policies like single-payer healthcare and education subsidies, simply because their party won't drop gun control as a platform.

If I can't have thirty round magazines, nobody gets to have nice things. Go gently caress yourselves. :)

Please keep posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

I think the anti-abortion crowd is just as lovely as the anti-gun crowd. The problem is that the democrats were there, they were so close to putting gun control to rest, but unfortunately they went full retard and are pushing it again. Also I never said there should be zero restrictions or impositions, there absolutely should be, just not to the level you want them. I get that it doesn't affect you in any way, but it affects me - so I'm not going to vote for it until they give up.

"i'm a middle class white guy who cares first and foremost about myself and owning things that make me feel powerful and in control, but honest! i really really do care about black people problems! just give me some slack here and i promise i'll vote for obamaphones and EBT just so long as you let me buy as many guns as i want! i'm a progressive, just like you!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And I also realize that the Democrats can't loving do anything about guns anyways so who loving cares.

why it's almost like this is a flimsy excuse to vote republican while still feeling like a good young democrat if only democrat-senpai would notice me...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

I think the anti-abortion crowd is just as lovely as the anti-gun crowd. The problem is that the democrats were there, they were so close to putting gun control to rest, but unfortunately they went full retard and are pushing it again. Also I never said there should be zero restrictions or impositions, there absolutely should be, just not to the level you want them. I get that it doesn't affect you in any way, but it affects me - so I'm not going to vote for it until they give up.

Right, you believe that making sure nobody passes any laws you personally deem too odious regulating your gun owning is more important than the right to vote of the poor and minorities and the right of women to have control over their own bodies. That's the only point I'm making, not that you wouldn't vote D if they dropped gun control.

Edit: Amended first half of the statement

Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

I think the anti-abortion crowd is just as lovely as the anti-gun crowd.

And yet you vote for them. Well done

Seriously, maybe you should just not vote instead of voting for the most regressive choice possible because 'Guns'

Jarmak posted:

Its almost as if you don't have any idea what the gently caress you're talking about, please tell me how state senators from Kansas are just like state senators from Massachusetts

No no, I want you to explain to me how the local GOP platform is in no way also pushing the same ideals as the National platform. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Dude, I mostly agree with you on some things gun-related (no gun control, some restrictions) but I still don't vote for the most retarded party. Because I am not retarded.

And I also realize that the Democrats can't loving do anything about guns anyways so who loving cares.

Quoted for posterity. Voting Dem/Progressive does not mean you are secretly voting for repealing the 2nd.

However, right now at this point in time, voting GOP means you are openly voting for the most regressive bunch of fundamentalist bullshit imaginable.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why it's almost like this is a flimsy excuse to vote republican while still feeling like a good young democrat if only democrat-senpai would notice me...

What the gently caress does this even mean? I said I don't vote Republican.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

And yet you vote for them. Well done

Seriously, maybe you should just not vote instead of voting for the most regressive choice possible because 'Guns'

That's also an option, yes. Also lol the most regressive choice. There's only two real goddamn choices, that's the problem.

Also well done on getting mad enough to purchase me a title. Lowtax thanks you for your service.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What the gently caress does this even mean? I said I don't vote Republican.

im making fun of that other guy for not realizing that he isn't really a democrat like he thinks he is

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

That's also an option, yes. Also lol the most regressive choice. There's only two real goddamn choices, that's the problem.

I didn't but thanks for thinking I'd waste $10 on someone who votes on single issues.

We are all in agreement, the two party system sucks (well, the GOP is actually two distinct parties right now, although they'd deny it), but that does not cover for your outright mind-gently caress that is voting GOP ticket for Guns alone.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

im making fun of that other guy for not realizing that he isn't really a democrat like he thinks he is

Damnit, I'm sorry.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

Also well done on getting mad enough to purchase me a title. Lowtax thanks you for your service.

there's something deeply funny about a rabid pro-gun dude who seems to want to antagonize others but is also bad at assessing others emotional states

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Damnit, I'm sorry.

It's too late! You already hurt his feelings. He's voting R now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Damnit, I'm sorry.

np friend :)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I never said I was a democrat, I just agree with some of their stances. However we've gotten off on some weird tangent where traitors to the party must be exiled or killed.

I don't feel like taking one for the team and being blamed for insane people shooting up schools or gang members murdering each other over drugs.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
One thing I'm interested about. All the talk about closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks and whatnot... this would only potentially affect new sales. What legal means are and/or should be open to people who want to protect themselves, or others, from someone who already has guns, but has only recently become aggressive? Shouldn't this issue to talked about as well?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

I never said I was a democrat, I just agree with some of their stances. However we've gotten off on some weird tangent where traitors to the party must be exiled or killed.

I don't feel like taking one for the team and being blamed for insane people shooting up schools or gang members murdering each other over drugs.

Good news, I'm not a Dem either, but I most certainly won't vote GOP because of a single issue that is not throwing out Womens Health and Civil Liberties over.

various cheeses posted:

or gang members murdering each other over drugs.

Racist trope, HO!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

you can't be a traitor, you never were a member. you yourself have admitted this. at this point i'm not sure if you're experiencing some severe identity confusion rooted in ignorance of terms or if you're just trying out some extremely lame passive aggressive troll by saying you'd be for progressive issues if only progressives hadn't rejected you first

various cheeses posted:

if you feel blamed for this that's on you, dude. own up to being responsible for your own emotions rather than blaming others, have some personal responsibility

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

there's something deeply funny about a rabid pro-gun dude who seems to want to antagonize others but is also bad at assessing others emotional states

Antagonize others? I just want you idiots to leave me and my guns alone, thanks. I'm not saying anyone should be forced into gun ownership or lol gun stamps someone mentioned earlier. I'm not committing crimes, so piss off trying to make me a criminal with new laws.

meristem posted:

One thing I'm interested about. All the talk about closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks and whatnot... this would only potentially affect new sales. What legal means are and/or should be open to people who want to protect themselves, or others, from someone who already has guns, but has only recently become aggressive? Shouldn't this issue to talked about as well?

There are actually some laws floating around some states that allow cops to confiscate the guns of potential domestic abusers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

meristem posted:

My guess is that it's a lot easier to regulate people getting new guns than regulate what people already have, so you go for the low hanging fruit first. Of course, in this case the low hanging fruit is being circled by a rabid dog, but, well.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Racist trope, HO!

Hold on dude, you are seriously reaching here. "Gang" isn't a race. Stop reading into poo poo that isn't there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

I just want you idiots to leave me and my guns alone, thanks.

"And I will take you all down with me!"

Seriously, at this point you have to be either a really high effort troll or just dense as lead

various cheeses posted:

There are actually some laws floating around some states that allow cops to confiscate the guns of potential domestic abusers.

Some laws. Floating around. Don't let the GOP sniff em out.

various cheeses posted:

Hold on dude, you are seriously reaching here. "Gang" isn't a race. Stop reading into poo poo that isn't there.

No, actually, its a pretty common racist trope that the Right loves pushing. Gotta defend from those roving gangs of armed blacks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

Antagonize others? I just want you idiots to leave me and my guns alone, thanks. I'm not saying anyone should be forced into gun ownership or lol gun stamps someone mentioned earlier. I'm not committing crimes, so piss off trying to make me a criminal with new laws

you realize that vocalizing feelings of persecution and guilt rooted in nothing makes you sound crazier, not less crazy?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

California has a Gun Violence Restraining Order, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a temporary order that allows law enforcement to remove a person's guns and ammunition, and prevent them from legally acquiring more.

I'm wary, because it's depriving a citizen of a constitutional right without due process.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

walgreenslatino posted:

California has a Gun Violence Restraining Order, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a temporary order that allows law enforcement to remove a person's guns and ammunition, and prevent them from legally acquiring more.

I'm wary, because it's depriving a citizen of a constitutional right without due process.

agreed, a significant number of suicides occur after an argument with a spouse or a domestic partner and we wouldn't want to unfairly restrict the 2nd in any way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

walgreenslatino posted:

This is a great post. Well done. You almost got me with the concern trolling over the rights of the possible abuser.

They probably melt down the gun right in front of them too, instead of putting it into a system where it can be retrieved later once the claims are found valid or invalid.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

you realize that vocalizing feelings of persecution and guilt rooted in nothing makes you sound crazier, not less crazy?

As opposed to you, who repeatedly advocate for your political opponents to commit suicide. Truly a beacon of reason and empathy.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

possible abuser

If you don't think that the constitutional rights of an accused citizen should be respected, I don't know what else to say

EDIT:

CommieGIR posted:

once the claims are found valid or invalid

We don't punish citizens temporarily until we can find out if they did or did not commit a crime

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 13, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

No no, I want you to explain to me how the local GOP platform is in no way also pushing the same ideals as the National platform. Go ahead, I'll wait.

You mean other then being pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and having our republican governor pass the first universal healthcare law in the country? If you don't realize that local parties are vastly different from national parties that I don't know why the gently caress you think you're even qualified to comment on politics.

I mean gently caress, the majority of state republicans voted for gay marriage back in 2007

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

Truly a beacon of reason and empathy.

But enough about voting for a political party that is actively pushing rejection of civil rights and enacting oppressive legislation on the poor...

Jarmak posted:

I mean gently caress, the majority of state republicans voted for gay marriage back in 2007

No, they voted to not amend their constitution over something the Courts were already showing would not hold up when challenged. They did not welcome it with open arms, and only the year before Romney was pushing for the very amendment they voted down.

Their GOP was just smart enough to realize it was no longer a financial battle worth fighting.

Jarmak posted:

You mean other then being pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and having our republican governor pass the first universal healthcare law in the country? If you don't realize that local parties are vastly different from national parties that I don't know why the gently caress you think you're even qualified to comment on politics.

:ironicat: Who then went on in the Primaries to claim that Universal Healthcare should be opposed.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 13, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

As opposed to you, who repeatedly advocate for your political opponents to commit suicide. Truly a beacon of reason and empathy.

wow, you're terrible at reading comprehension. i'm not advocating suicide in any way, i'm just pointing out that this is by far the most common use of firearms against a person. and that it is a completely defensible and congruent right under the 2nd amendment to the united states constitution. it's not in any way my fault if the collective decisions and actions of so many responsible gun owning americans makes you uncomfortable. maybe you should grow up a little

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

"And I will take you all down with me!"
Seriously, at this point you have to be either a really high effort troll or just dense as lead
Some laws. Floating around. Don't let the GOP sniff em out.
No, actually, its a pretty common racist trope that the Right loves pushing. Gotta defend from those roving gangs of armed blacks.

Why don't we take a step back and start this over. I made this thread to get gunchat out of the USPOL thread, and also to see if D&D can actually come to a consensus on what, if anything, should be done about guns, and maybe see if we could even agree on alternative strategies to reduce regular crime and prevent mass shootings.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

various cheeses posted:

You seem pretty drat worked up over the fact that I decided to break rank with the democrats. Shame on me for having an independent thought in my head.

you are the definition of a single issue voter, this is not what is generally considered independent thought

various cheeses posted:

You add nothing to this thread, so get the gently caress out of it please. There's a GBS one waiting for you. The dog lobbyist group was pretty funny at least.

I'll vote for democrats again when they pull their heads out of their asses on gun control. It's literally that simple. Make it happen folks.

lmao

"gently caress women, the poor, and minorities, until i get my guns"

gently caress you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

Why don't we take a step back and start this over. I made this thread to get gunchat out of the USPOL thread, and also to see if D&D can actually come to a consensus on what, if anything, should be done about guns, and maybe see if we could even agree on alternative strategies to reduce regular crime and prevent mass shootings.

i believe gun crime and mass shootings are a small price to pay for the freedom to own and use guns responsibly, to end one's own life. nobody can deprive me or anyone else of the right to freedom and self determination over my own body with my constitutionally protected right to own firearms. it is disrespectful for you or anyone to say that you know better than me or any other american what they can do with their firearms on their own private property

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

wow, you're terrible at reading comprehension. i'm not advocating suicide in any way

making sure the muzzle is firmly in the mouth and pointed slightly upwards, into the center of the skull, and that the area behind you is clear of bystanders or hard material to prevent ricochet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

various cheeses posted:

more gun control, would be a start

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

you asked what proper gun control was, and i think it's making sure that you use both hands and have a clear downrange. were you confused?

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Lol come on man, don't stoop to their level. At least argue in good faith.

I am. I've listened to the gun debate for long enough to reach the conclusion that severe restrictions at the federal level would save lives. If your concern is the "greater good" it seems rational to support any incremental measures with the eventual endgame being something resembling an outright ban on firearms ownership.

Problem is, in this country I have been granted the freedom to possess firearms, I like it, and I don't want to give it up. I may be forced to some day by the consequences of elections, but until then I'll take my cue from dalereed and vote entirely out of spite.

Obviously I don't represent the majority of gun owners but we're temporary allies at least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

I made this thread to get gunchat out of the USPOL thread, and also to see if D&D can actually come to a consensus on what, if anything, should be done about guns, and maybe see if we could even agree on alternative strategies to reduce regular crime and prevent mass shootings.

And the consensus is Gun Control is needed.

And you don't like that. In fact, you have said repeatedly you would directly vote against nearly any and all gun control of any sort, going so far as to post 'Don't touch my guns'.

You are not arguing in good faith.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snowman Crossing posted:

Problem is, in this country I have been granted the freedom to possess firearms, I like it, and I don't want to give it up. I may be forced to some day by the consequences of elections, but until then I'll take my cue from dalereed and vote entirely out of spite.

so you're literally voting against things you think would help other people because you'd be inconvenienced, thats what i'm hearing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Sure. Shoot people that refuse to accept the equality of all people and would resist the integration of existing underclasses. That American gun culture appears to inculcate that attitude is an interesting phenomenon that would undoubtedly serve as a key component of the datamining used to locate targets for the death squads.

• Locked thread