Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Let's discuss why guns are so cool here instead of the USPOL thread. Just a brief stop on the way to the gas chamber folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Guns: for killing people. Thoughts?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

various cheeses posted:

Let's discuss why guns are so cool here instead of the USPOL thread. Just a brief stop on the way to the gas chamber folks!

Guns are for morons. The prosecution rests.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

various cheeses posted:

gently caress no, anti-vaxxers are stupid as poo poo. You're not going to catch "the gun" from walking next to some dork open carrying.

Someone fire up the gun thread so we can ship this poo poo out of here.

you can't catch the gun, but you sure as gently caress can catch acute lead poisoning by being in the vicinity of someone with a gun, such as your paranoid dad who keeps a gun around the house and popped you for coming home late at night when you snuck out

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MaxxBot posted:

Myself and the slave owners I know don't view these people as any more reasonable than you do. Simon Legree does not represent the typical gun owner unless most slave owners are lying in polls about their slave opinions.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A friend of mine was killed in the Oregon shooting two weeks ago.

Regardless, I don't think his death means all guns should be banned.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Mass shootings are a necessary evil to protect one of our fundamental Constitutional Rights.

/thread

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

that's alright, i can think that for you

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

QFT

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My 2 year old lost a leg when playing with my glock, was his own fault for poor trigger discipline.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

And frankly nothing has made me more pro-gun control than reading the unhinged rants of gun owners about things like a thirty round magazine ban or other simple stuff. I used to be pretty moderate on gun control until reading the absolutely nutjob reactions of gun nuts to the post-newton proposals and it's just like, people who are this unhinged are the people who think I should have to trust their judgment about if and when they use their gun? Uh, no thanks.

Sandy Hook should have been a turning point where halfway reasonable gun safety legislation became possible but it went so far in the opposite direction that a substantial amount of non schizophrenic people believe the massacre didn't really happen or that the actual solution is to arm teachers and sell terrified parents bulletproof backpacks and blankets to protect their kids against the next inevitable school massacre.

Gun culture in this country is so sick and out of control that despite the continually dropping crime rate, gun owners feel the overwhelming need to buy even more guns and ammo to the point where it's not unheard of for a single enthusiast to have more than enough to outfit an army platoon.

Paranoia whipped up by the NRA and right-wing media over impending gun confiscation is so strong that even letting the CDC conduct studies on gun deaths or letting a physician talk to a patient about guns and depression is a bridge too far.

One side of the gun debate in this country has completely lost the plot and it's insane to continue to let them shape the debate.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

you can't catch the gun, but you sure as gently caress can catch acute lead poisoning by being in the vicinity of someone with a gun, such as your paranoid dad who keeps a gun around the house and popped you for coming home late at night when you snuck out

I don't think I should be punished because some idiots can't handle the responsibility of gun ownership. Go after those border cases, not me and the rest of us normal people.

Also my dad doesn't live in my house. Nor should anyone unload on a shadowy figure in your house if you have a family/roommates living there, that's just crazy man.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

What point are you trying to make here?

You can look at the polling yourself, categorical opposition to all gun control is not a majority position among gun owners.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

But the "they" here is groups like the NRA which mostly consist of the craziest and most hardline gun owners. The fact that these people are single issues voters and view this issue as critically important gives them an outsized voice in the debate.

Pro-gun control gun owners are probably more likely to have other political priorities, I don't think I've ever voted for a candidate with guns being on my mind as the reason why.

That rationale was from someone claiming to be a reasonable gun owner who cares about gun rights but supports universal background checks on this forum, if anything made me go "ok, we're done here" about the gun issue that was probably it, it was just like there is no reasoning with someone who views this as a reasonable fear and reason to vote against universal background checks.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Gun culture in this country is so sick and out of control that despite the continually dropping crime rate, gun owners feel the overwhelming need to buy even more guns and ammo to the point where it's not unheard of for a single enthusiast to have more than enough to outfit an army platoon.

From what I saw, it was more "buy now because you'll never be able to buy them again" rather than "buy them because vague unease about criminals".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

various cheeses posted:

I don't think I should be punished because some idiots can't handle the responsibility of slave ownership. Go after those border cases, not me and the rest of us normal people.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

various cheeses posted:

I don't think I should be punished because some idiots can't handle the responsibility of gun ownership. Go after those border cases, not me and the rest of us normal people.

Also my dad doesn't live in my house. Nor should anyone unload on a shadowy figure in your house if you have a family/roommates living there, that's just crazy man.

Let's be fair here. You're punished every day because some idiots can't handle the responsibility of driving a car.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

What point are you trying to make here?

You can look at the polling yourself, categorical opposition to all gun control is not a majority position among gun owners.

my point is that there is no 'moderate' position on the pro-gun side, abolition of guns is the only acceptable solution

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

I don't think I should be punished because some idiots can't handle the responsibility of gun ownership. Go after those border cases, not me and the rest of us normal people

the problem is every gun owner is responsible until they are irresponsible and deserving of restriction. fortunately the most common form of gun misuse is suicide

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The differences between owning an inanimate object and owning an actual human being shouldn't have to be explained, and yet here we are.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

that's alright, i can think that for you

Go right ahead. I mean, there should be systems in place to help mitigate gun-related deaths. Firearms training and regular proficiency tests would help in the accidental shootings department. Making psychological exams mandatory for gun owners after any kind of shooting-related incident would help them with any PTSD issues that might arise from it. I don't think having a mental issue should bar you from owning a gun, but I think making sure your mental health is on track would help stop all the psychos from shooting up my friends again.

But that would take a lot of work so just try to ban all guns instead.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

various cheeses posted:

The differences between whipping a slave and beating a slave to death shouldn't have to be explained, and yet here we are.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the problem is every slave owner is responsible until they are irresponsible and deserving of restriction. fortunately the most common form of slave misuse is old age

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

see this guy gets it

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

That rationale was from someone claiming to be a reasonable gun owner who cares about gun rights but supports universal background checks on this forum, if anything made me go "ok, we're done here" about the gun issue that was probably it, it was just like there is no reasoning with someone who views this as a reasonable fear and reason to vote against universal background checks.

I think it would be fantastic if they opened up the background check system to the public. I'd use it for every private sale.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

various cheeses posted:

I don't think that reasonable restrictions of extremely dangerous items is punishment. And while you say "go after those people", when people do, suddenly it's a plot to take your guns too and not one inch (insert other NRA slogans here). And every idiot who shoots a family member, up until that moment, was talking about how responsible of a gun owner he was. If you're keeping a gun in a dwelling for protection (without a specific threat that changes the odds), you are not a responsible gun owner because that gun is way more likely to hurt a member of your family than to protect them.

But fine, let's put in some licencing to separate out people who can and can't handle the responsibility of gun ownership. What do you propose?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

see this guy gets it

It's fun

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

various cheeses posted:

The differences between owning an inanimate object and owning an actual human being shouldn't have to be explained, and yet here we are.

If so then why haven't you addressed the differences between owning an inanimate object (gun) and owning an inanimate object (car)?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
stiffer background checks and longer waiting periods would be good, because it would dissuade people from purchasing firearms explicitly to kill themselves with, whereas recreational shooters and gun collecters would continue to have high suicide rates, and anyone sufficiently motivated could always just go to a gun range and kill themselves there

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

But fine, let's put in some licencing to separate out people who can and can't handle the responsibility of gun ownership. What do you propose?

Duels to the death. Anyone left alive obviously is responsible enough to own a gun.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duels to the death. Anyone left alive obviously is responsible enough to own a gun.

including duels with only one duelist, of course

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

'"well, you should pass a written test and get a licence that allows you to have a gu..."

bzzt, this is too close to a national gun registry and the nra has sent out an email blast about how you are a traitor to the cause and you are now receiving threats from responsible gun owners concerned that your "pointing a gun at your children is a safe and fun activity y/n" test and licence is actually a covert threat to their liberties and you are an obama secret agent

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I got to shoot my father-in-laws Mauser k98 over the weekend. It was very good gun, although more difficult to load than the Mosin-Nagant that I used (and I don't know if it's a difference of design or the condition of the guns). It's a shame that if I collected old German military firearms people would assume I was a Neo-Nazi because I wouldn't mind owning one alongside the c96.

That's my gun story for today.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pointsofdata posted:

Guns: for killing people. Thoughts?

Counterpoint: guns are also for killing animals, which seems kinda like a legitimate reason to allow a few of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ikanreed posted:

Counterpoint: guns are also for killing animals, which seems kinda like a legitimate reason to allow a few of them.

yeah nobody really proposes to ban hunting rifles until "hunters" start talking about how they need "tactical" semiautomatic rifles that look exactly like an m-16

but for hunting, not playing dress-up

definitely not just for playing dress-up, by the way have you seen the rest of my cool tactical gear

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Milk Malk posted:

If so then why haven't you addressed the differences between owning an inanimate object (gun) and owning an inanimate object (car)?

Nah that poo poo is played out. Let's all agree to no car analogies.

evilweasel posted:

you are not a responsible gun owner because that gun is way more likely to hurt a member of your family than to protect them.

Isn't that based off the debunked Kellerman study? People need to stop espousing this as truth. That study used "protection" as only cases where a gun was used to kill an intruder, not scare away or even injure, and also cherry picked the hell out of participants.

I'm fine with the idea of a concealed carry license being used as the yardstick for carrying a gun in public. You learn the laws, you learn when you can legally use force and when not to, and they push deescalation constantly throughout the class.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Who What Now posted:

I got to shoot my father-in-laws Mauser k98 over the weekend. It was very good gun, although more difficult to load than the Mosin-Nagant that I used (and I don't know if it's a difference of design or the condition of the guns). It's a shame that if I collected old German military firearms people would assume I was a Neo-Nazi because I wouldn't mind owning one alongside the c96.

That's my gun story for today.

Point out that you're actually pro-spain and anti-US, because that thing's been in use since the spanish-american war.

Also seconding "For the love of god open up NICS to the general public". Seriously.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ikanreed posted:

one day we will discover the anti-deer equation

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

various cheeses posted:

Nah that poo poo is played out. Let's all agree to no car analogies.

Isn't that based off the debunked Kellerman study? People need to stop espousing this as truth. That study used "protection" as only cases where a gun was used to kill an intruder, not scare away or even injure, and also cherry picked the hell out of participants.

I'm fine with the idea of a concealed carry license being used as the yardstick for carrying a gun in public. You learn the laws, you learn when you can legally use force and when not to, and they push deescalation constantly throughout the class.

Also Renting is 4 times more likely to cause you to die than owning a gun is according to this study.

If you want your family to live, own your own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Counterpoint: slaves are also for killing animals, which seems kinda like a legitimate reason to allow a few of them.

• Locked thread