Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Endless Mike posted:

The best part is when a place has contactless readers but just won't accept ApplePay because reasons (see: CVS).
CVS won't even take contactless cards

I've only used Apple Pay a couple of times, none of the closest places take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazy posted:

CVS won't even take contactless cards
Which is comical because the readers are clearly able to read ApplePay enough to say it doesn't take it. But don't worry guys, I'm sure their lovely proprietary app will work out for them!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just went through all my apps, and even more of them have force touch short cuts. It's like Christmas!

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
App store down for anyone else? Both iphone and ipad can't update apps. Press "update all", the spinners spool up, then revert back to "update" buttons. Been like that for about 20 minutes now.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Croc Monster posted:

App store down for anyone else? Both iphone and ipad can't update apps. Press "update all", the spinners spool up, then revert back to "update" buttons. Been like that for about 20 minutes now.

I'm trying to log into Apple Music on my work computer and it's just giving me a generic error, so maybe :shrug:

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Croc Monster posted:

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

It looks like they're having some problems.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

:vince: TIL

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love these status pages that a lot of companies are putting up, I just wish their software was smart enough to check the status page when it was having issues and give you a little notification when there's something noteworthy.

Instead of "derrrrrp check your internet connection." :downs:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why don't they have adblockers for 32 bit devices? That's bullshit.

E: Also iTunes Match just shat its pants.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 13, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Note that Apple's status site is manually updated, so it's not always accurate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it was pretty unreliable for the first two months of Apple Music when it basically failed every second day

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Endless Mike posted:

Which is comical because the readers are clearly able to read ApplePay enough to say it doesn't take it. But don't worry guys, I'm sure their lovely proprietary app will work out for them!

More to the point, it worked at CVS until they and Rite Aid disabled it shortly after Apple Pay's launch (though Rite Aid has since started accepting it again).

Wasn't CurrentC supposed to be launched in "3Q15" which ended 2 weeks ago?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I wish I could use NFC to transfer photos from my camera to my phone, but it seems Apple only allows NFC for payments. Is this likely to stay locked down? Not a big deal but it's a pain to transfer photos when I'm travelling without a computer.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Endless Mike posted:

It's even more comical because they disabled the readers altogether. They don't take contactless anything, which makes upgrading to POS units with readers worthless.

Lady Gaza posted:

I wish I could use NFC to transfer photos from my camera to my phone, but it seems Apple only allows NFC for payments. Is this likely to stay locked down? Not a big deal but it's a pain to transfer photos when I'm travelling without a computer.

Probably. They might enable it for iOS X, but who knows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

Apple doesn't really do NFC, their implementation is AirDrop which is similar in use but not identical in implementation.

Which means using it with any non-Apple hardware is a pipe dream.

Your only real option is to get one of the wi-fi enabled SD cards that are out there like the eyefi. They have iOS apps to pull in photos.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NFC's bitrate doesn't really support applications like that. Get a camera with Wi-Fi support next time, I guess.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

NFC's bitrate doesn't really support applications like that. Get a camera with Wi-Fi support next time, I guess.

Or this? http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Apple doesn't really do NFC, their implementation is AirDrop which is similar in use but not identical in implementation.
AirDrop uses Bluetooth to set up an ad-hoc WiFi connection, which then does the heavy lifting of transferring data at a decent rate, unlike Bluetooth or NFC.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sure why not

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Stare-Out posted:

E: Also iTunes Match just shat its pants.

It seems all of their login servers have. App store on OS X keeps bouncing me out from doing updates as well, even though it's showing up as working on the status page.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Croc Monster posted:

It seems all of their login servers have. App store on OS X keeps bouncing me out from doing updates as well, even though it's showing up as working on the status page.
iTunes keeps reminding me every 10 seconds with a super obnoxious pop up that it can't access iCloud Music, even when I'm not playing music and all the music is actually on my HDD currently.

E: Seems sorted now.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 13, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Everything Apple is working fine for me today. Weird.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
:argh:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Going back a bit, the popup asking for a pass code reset is a known bug with ios 9 that doesn't seem to affect many people.
There's been a few posts about it here and there.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It does have wifi but I'm just being lazy, setting up the wifi network is one of those minor annoyances I hoped would go away with newer phone tech.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
If anyone's curious I'm on a flight as I type this, have WiFi calling and texting enabled via AT&T on an iPhone 6s, and have been texting/receiving texts while connected to Gogo.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
man upgrading from an HTC EVO 3D to an iPhone 6s, man this thing is so snappy compared to that old piece of crap.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

chicagobutters posted:

If anyone's curious I'm on a flight as I type this, have WiFi calling and texting enabled via AT&T on an iPhone 6s, and have been texting/receiving texts while connected to Gogo.

Waiting to take off now, totally trying this.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Skwee posted:

man upgrading from an HTC EVO 3D to an iPhone 6s, man this thing is so snappy compared to that old piece of crap.

I remember upgrading from an Evo 3D to a one or two year old 4S and even then it was so snappy compared to that old piece of crap. How did you manage for so long?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

chicagobutters posted:

Congrats on paying $30 for Internet on a 90-minute flight.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Mattavist posted:

I remember upgrading from an Evo 3D to a one or two year old 4S and even then it was so snappy compared to that old piece of crap. How did you manage for so long?

Had other things to spend money on

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
So anyone found a fix for the fact that 9.0.2 is a buggy piece of junk that can't handle keyboard inputs?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

9.1? :shrug:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I thought that was still in beta?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I pay monthly. $50/m. Thanks work!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So I just saw some commercial for Samsung Pay and it showed how you just put your phone near the credit card machine and it Just Works. Then they showed an iPhone and it didn't work and the person waved the phone around like an idiot and nothing happened.

What could Samsung possibility be doing that Apple isn't? I mean NFC is NFC right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

So I just saw some commercial for Samsung Pay and it showed how you just put your phone near the credit card machine and it Just Works. Then they showed an iPhone and it didn't work and the person waved the phone around like an idiot and nothing happened.

What could Samsung possibility be doing that Apple isn't? I mean NFC is NFC right?

Well, making the commercial?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dutchbstrd posted:

Samsung bought LoopPay, which "broadcasts" a magnetic field that the read head in the credit card terminal picks up. As far as the terminal knows, you physically swiped a card.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I fly for business? Regardless, it's nice that it works.

Edit: It was $13.95 for my 2.5 hour flight.

chicagobutters fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe i'm insane but $30 for internet on a 90 minute flight doesn't seem all that outrageous.