Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Tunga posted:

This must be the opposite of architectural failure: when a building is built so well it stops falling down halfway through a controlled demolition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34495463

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjExSyckAU

These are the blocks they were going to knock down at the start of the commonwealth games right? I kinda wish they did it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound Bite
Jul 19, 2005

Blistex posted:

a lot of his stuff wasn't so great unless you loved bare concrete, massive echo chambers, feeling like you're living in a cave, or almost nowhere to get changed without someone seeing you naked.

The Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, IL struck me as pretty livable when I toured it in high school, but damned if it didn't have examples of literally every one of those issues.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sound Bite posted:

The Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, IL struck me as pretty livable when I toured it in high school, but damned if it didn't have examples of literally every one of those issues.

The Kaufmann House (designed by Richard Neutra and commissioned by the same guy who had FLW make Falling Water) is another example of a building that spawned an architectural revolution, but was horribly unliveable due to, massive amounts of concrete, horrible echoes, and having nowhere to get changed.

Funny you should mention the DTH, as I consider it to be the prime example (until Penn Jillete's abortion) of a schizophrenic house. Is it supposed to be Victorian? Neoclassical? Edwardian? Japanese inspired? MAKE UP YOUR MIND HOUSE!

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 13, 2015

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Blistex posted:

Not gonna lie, I would love (and probably later hate) to live in that unit jutting out of the tower.

Part of the FLW hate is that the guy was a massive prick. He was an rear end in a top hat to anyone who didn't 100% approve and love everything he did, and anyone who had the gall to do something that didn't look like his stuff was an idiot. He3 was also really bad at structural engineering, and when he designed Falling Water, he had a laughable small amount of support beams and metal holding up a massive hanging slab of concrete. One of the engineers went behind his back and doubled-tripled the amount that FLW said was needed, received a lot of flack from FLW, and even then it still sagged like crazy. He's so highly regarded because a few of this designs (Falling Water for example) inspired a whole new direction in architecture. Falling Water is absolutely beautiful, and I think it is totally liveable (with a few decent dehumidifier units added) but a lot of his stuff wasn't so great unless you loved bare concrete, massive echo chambers, feeling like you're living in a cave, or almost nowhere to get changed without someone seeing you naked.

Pretty much. The official story is that concrete bags were stored out on the cantilever before it was ready, and that's why it sags. In any event it's gorgeous, even if it's a little on the small side inside. There is a second structure on the property, a guest house that's unrestored.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's awesome. Design a house that's not fit for purpose and become lionized as an American icon.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Eh, it's like with cars. Having something unique and visually interesting can be more important that sheer functionality.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Computer viking posted:

Eh, it's like with cars. Having something unique and visually interesting can be more important that sheer functionality.
Until the artist takes the engine out and still sells it as a working car anyway.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CampingCarl posted:

Until the artist takes the engine out and still sells it as a working car anyway.

Not an entirely accurate analogy. More like a car that has a small engine and has a cabin that's really uncomfortable.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Have we had a Manchester post yet? So many beauties to choose from:

The Toast Rack, now disused, formerly part of one of our universities

Contact Theatre, again on a different university campus

Another university building, no longer used but still standing

The 'Renaissance' Hotel

Piccadilly 'Gardens'

The Arndale

The more modern stuff isn't any better either really, the new Co Op headquarters

And their old one to compare

Beetham Tower, which even after extensive modifications makes a loud city wide noise like a plastic tube being whipped around whenever it gets a bit windy as well as not quite fitting in the area they stuck it

Even the apartments next to the canal are horrific

And the now infamous Northern Quarter has its fair share of crap too

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I'm laughing so hard at this "castle".

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
lmoa those are all truly godawful (apart from the old co-op building, but that's just because i like pyramids)

you could also add the trafford centre which i think was posted earlier in the thread. comically overblown and cheap looking, and also about size of texas

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

therattle posted:

Not an entirely accurate analogy. More like a car that has a small engine and has a cabin that's really uncomfortable.

Like if the Reliant Robin had a bunch of pretentious gits praising it's novel design esthetic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's awesome. Design a house that's not fit for purpose and become lionized as an American icon.

And the sad thing is they basically could've made it totally sound without compromising the truly brilliant design if he'd just been willing to work with the mechanical engineers and believe their simulations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

therattle posted:

See, plymouth prowler. Not useful for anything, looked the business, slow as poo poo.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

At first glance, my brain parsed the text on the right as A SHITe and I was like welp, at least it's honest.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

Like if the Reliant Robin had a bunch of pretentious gits praising it's novel design esthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah. And the designer was lauded as a pioneer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
wasnt there a british brutalist apartment building that had a huge part collapse and kill a bunch of people way back when

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Frostwerks posted:

wasnt there a british brutalist apartment building that had a huge part collapse and kill a bunch of people way back when

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

Four people killed, more injured. A corner of the building fell off after a gas explosion pushed the load-bearing wall panels out sideways. The causes were shoddy workmanship on a gas line installation/modification, and flawed design, construction and materials used in the building.

Edit: I wrote that summary from memory of a book I'd read, the details in the Wiki article are even worse than I recalled

quote:

the assumptions made in determining the revised wind loading were inadequate, in that they assumed all windows were closed. However, if the glass in a window had broken, or somebody had gone out leaving a window open, a wall panel could suffer pressure on one side and suction on the other, to an extent that the panels on the upper levels of the building might still be sucked out
:stare:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 14, 2015

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frostwerks posted:

Those blocks were built really badly in general, it's amazing more people weren't killed.

Here's a good documentary about it:

https://youtu.be/Ch5VorymiL4

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

therattle posted:

Yeah. And the designer was lauded as a pioneer.

Actually - consider the original Mini. On most of the scales you judge a car it was kind of poo poo, but it's still an icon.

Of course, it took some competent engineering decisions to make the Mini work at all, while Fallingwater seems a bit lacking in those.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Oh hey I forgot one

The builders must have had an overstock on roof tiles or something. It doesn't even go underground.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just discovered that the Kohler Habitat system was a thing.

http://www.designtool.kohler.com/us/detail.jsp?item=329202

It's like a giant sauna/shower/tanning bed/hairdryer all in one. :psyduck:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/105808_0893ab.pdf <-- I think the space shuttle has fewer parts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamn that was a wide variety of horrible lovely buildings. That theater is an abomination.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Three-Phase posted:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/105808_0893ab.pdf <-- I think the space shuttle has fewer parts.

Yeah there's a reason we don't make anything like that anymore. Instead we just make $6300 toilets that have remote controls, bidet wands, auto opening seats, heaters around the base to warm your feet, LED mood lighting, lights in the seat area so you don't have to turn on the bathroom lights, OH and the remote control takes an SD card so you can play MP3s while you poo poo. Also the remote is separate and costs a few hundred bucks and is required.

The Numi

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

Yeah there's a reason we don't make anything like that anymore. Instead we just make $6300 toilets that have remote controls, bidet wands, auto opening seats, heaters around the base to warm your feet, LED mood lighting, lights in the seat area so you don't have to turn on the bathroom lights, OH and the remote control takes an SD card so you can play MP3s while you poo poo. Also the remote is separate and costs a few hundred bucks and is required.

The Numi

I want a toilet with a remote controlled bidet for no other reason than loving with visitors.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The remotes tend to be screwed to the wall.

Lmao if you don't have a washlet or even a heated toilet seat.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Neurophonic posted:

Oh hey I forgot one

The builders must have had an overstock on roof tiles or something. It doesn't even go underground.

really want to ride a motor cycle up that house

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That house is almost certainly a stunt jump in GTA 5.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

peanut posted:

The remotes tend to be screwed to the wall.

Lmao if you don't have a washlet or even a heated toilet seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Coco-Bidet-9500R-Elongated-Personal/dp/B00465MFHG posted:

COCO Bidet 9500R ELONGATED, White Color Toilet Seat Ultra Deluxe with Remote and UL Listed, AC Power, 120V, 1270W - Fits Most Elongated One or Two Piece Toilet Seats -Two Coco Bidet Water Purifying Filters - Bio Life Technologies is the world renowned bidet company and manufacturer of the COCO bidet. Our mission is to provide our customers with the very best in technology and aesthetics. The elegant and state of the art COCO 9500R can fit most existing ELONGATED toilets. THIS BIDET WILL NOT FIT 1 PIECE TOILETS WITH A FRENCH CURVE (such as the Kohler San Rafael) The COCO bidet is easy to install and maintain and can fit virtually any ELONGATED toilet. The COCO bidet comes with a full one year warranty - 3 year limited warranty. Features: The COCO 9500R comes with a patented IIP (Intensive Impulse Pulsation) feature that helps with constipation. Elongated Shaped Toilets Only - Convenient Remote Control - Tankless Heated Water w/Never Ending Warm Water (heated water may take 3 seconds to kick in) - Aluminum Metal Coated 3 in 1 Jet Nozzle - Nozzle position adjustable to desired setting - Self Cleaning - 4 Remote Control User Presets - Self-Diagnosis IIP Function - Kids Function - Oscillating Cleansing Enema Jet - Auto Feature Intelligent Power Saving - Deodorizer - Splash Guard - Heated Seat - Soft Closing Antibacterial Seat - Seat Detachable for Easy Cleaning - 2 Water Purify Filters - Far-Infrared Warm Air Dryer - Gentle Pulsating Cleansing - Occupied Seat Sensor - LED Night Light - Patented Ultra Sonic Soldering (to prevent leaking) - UL Approved - White Color Only - 3 Year Limited Warranty - Bidet needs a GFI electrical outlet within 4 feet of the toilet. Cold water hook-up only, bidet has built-in heating system. Two Iodine Water Filters. All Coco Bidet sales are FINAL. NO Refunds. Coco Bidet does NOT take back bidets with opened parts bag(s) or used or installed bidets. THIS BIDET WILL NOT FIT 1 PIECE TOILETS WITH A CURVED WATER TANK.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
a sink that drains into the toilet bowl is such a common sense feature that you wonder why it's taking so long to catch on

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
e: nvm, should check if shop

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Three-Phase posted:

Looks perfect for my mid-80s habitat house. All I need to do is source matching wood paneling.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So very trendy, so very unsafe.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Slippery glass alternating with wood panels raised just enough to catch a toe. Compared to that, the stairs aren't half bad.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've played that level of DN3D.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I visited Tampere University in Finland for a conference last week. The main building was your basic subdued 1950's affair, nothing weird there. But boy howdy when I saw the building the conference was being held in:

I just burst out laughing right there at it. I couldn't find any pictures from inside the thing, it was like a collection of every early 1990's architechture cliché. Amazing.

There was also this weird pipe walkway connecting it to the main building that, predictably, apparently no-one used ever:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Gorilla Salad posted:

How the gently caress was that allowed to be built? It's a perfect death trap.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Where is this death trap? That can't be a public building, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The house with no railings where guests falls to their deaths is also known as the S-House* is in Chennai, India.

You can visit the website about the house here - and unlike visiting the house itself will be in no danger of falling to your death

Everyone should visit that link and see the house where you fall to your death in its natural habitat - wedged between lovely old Indian buildings, and adjacent to an unpaved dirt road.

This is what it looks like on the outside, because of course it does:

* Not actually short for "shithouse" surprisingly.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 15, 2015

• Locked thread