Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

And you could squanch it all

My empire of Earth

One thing I've been wondering a little since the finale, not sure if its been discussed yet: did anyone else find it strange that they showed Giga-Squanchy step on Tammy's ankle to knock her down and then... nothing? No resolution on that whatsoever. I feel as though if he killed her it's something they would have shown, but since they didn't I fear for the Squanch :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

One thing I've been wondering a little since the finale, not sure if its been discussed yet: did anyone else find it strange that they showed Giga-Squanchy step on Tammy's ankle to knock her down and then... nothing? No resolution on that whatsoever. I feel as though if he killed her it's something they would have shown, but since they didn't I fear for the Squanch :(

Knowing how this show goes, that's in writer's purgatory until we get to the point where they can choose the better outcome for the writing, be that funny or serious.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody here seemed to disagree. It did seem like a non-sequitur (same with the screaming sun) but what I like about Rick & Morty is that things you think are a non-sequitur end up coming back later to mean something, unlike say lovely Family Guy where every joke is just completely throwaway.

:shrug:

My dude, have you TRIED stephan univorse?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You see, the cob planet is actually a scathing commentary of corn subsidies in the USA, which contributes to the obesity epidemic and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope they do an entire flashback episode about Rick's fear and hatred of Cobb Planets. Nothing is better than running a single funny moment into the ground. Also every year they can do another TV episode! And then we can bring the Meeseeks back more! Maybe an episode that focuses on Jessica's home life and her wacky grandpa!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I actually thought Mr.Meeksis got pretty annoying by the end of the episode. Probably my least favorite.

NiceGuy posted:

Nah that's definitely part of the cliffhanger ending. Is Squanchy still alive? Hell, for that matter, is Birdperson still alive? He got shot up pretty bad but so did Mr.Poopy-butthole. Especially with alien technology he could pull through. (Plus somebody mentioned he was a phoenix?) And yeah, is Tammy still alive either? Its all a big question mark, along with 'how is Rick gonna get out of jail'.

Squanchy is a pretty cool guy and his squanch is pretty funny so I don't think they'll squanch him.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I'm pretty excited to see where the next season goes with the changes to Earth. I'm hoping that the Federation takeover isn't temporary, since it has a lot of potential for interesting and wacky hijinks.

Zaphod42 posted:

I actually thought Mr.Meeksis got pretty annoying by the end of the episode. Probably my least favorite.
You have now won my vote for worst poster in this thread. This was the last straw.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What I want to know is why it's not cool to call a gear head Gear Head, but it's okay to call a bird person Bird Person.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
His name is Bird Person.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's like naming your kid Human Man.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't see the problem with this.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody here seemed to disagree. It did seem like a non-sequitur (same with the screaming sun) but what I like about Rick & Morty is that things you think are a non-sequitur end up coming back later to mean something, unlike say lovely Family Guy where every joke is just completely throwaway.

There's a difference between a throwaway gag that's a pointless non-sequitur and a joke which is specifically crafted for its inexplicibility.

Replace "everything's on a cob" with "the planet is infested with reavers who will attempt to rape and murder the Smiths 24/7" Rick's "WE NEED TO GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE" makes perfect sense and isn't funny, because you understand that it is the correct reaction. Him having the exact same reaction to everything being on a cob is funny, because the reaction seems completely out-of-whack with the issue. Explaining the reaction and justifying it would take away the foundation of the joke.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't gearthropomorphise Bird People.

Also I like the cob planet joke because it implies there is a huge danger with cob-molecules and poo poo and its just intrinsically understood that if rick is telling you to get the gently caress off cob planet than get the gently caress off cob planet.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Rick and Morty Season 2: The Imperium Squanches Back.

I think there are plenty of obvious sci-fi corollaries that can be inspiration to get the band back together. I would love a large scale galactic war as seen through the lens of Harmon/Roiland, though they certainly wouldn't lose me if they Machina everything back to 'normal.'

Re: one-off jokes - I feel like while it certainly isn't Family Guy, I don't think you can say there aren't any throwaway gags in the series. Plus, Planet-on-the-Cob and Screaming Sun are the same joke:

Lands on Planet
Discovers something weird (weird things on cobs, screaming sun)
Gets more information (atomic level cobs, 41 hour days)
Bails

As people have noted, the cob is absolutely a parody on the twilight zone / outer limits "perfect planet on the surface, horrible underneath" bits.

Screaming Sun is just funny.

I don't think we lose anything if those planets aren't ever visited again. I'm more bothered by the plot hole of not knowing how exactly the dimensional movement works. Though I expect the answer to those mechanics are that it works by whatever method best drives the narrative / humor in the moment and things like the central finite curve are just band-aids to avoid being forced to theorize/Wookieverse everything out.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

You see, the cob planet is actually a scathing commentary of corn subsidies in the USA, which contributes to the obesity epidemic and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Lol

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So was Gearhead another one of their war buddies who happened to turn on Rick?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

So was Gearhead another one of their war buddies who happened to turn on Rick?

I guess it isn't made clear which war (or maybe its something related to the conflict Rick mentioned was Birdperson's "big day") but I figure the government was involved and if gearhead was a war buddy of Rick's, he'd be just as wanted. And he's not in the picture that Rick drops on the floor of the bar when he turns himself in to the police, which has Squanchy and Birdperson.

They seem like associates but not as close as war buddies.
He's not invited to Birdperson's wedding either.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess it isn't made clear which war (or maybe its something related to the conflict Rick mentioned was Birdperson's "big day") but I figure the government was involved and if gearhead was a war buddy of Rick's, he'd be just as wanted. And he's not in the picture that Rick drops on the floor of the bar when he turns himself in to the police, which has Squanchy and Birdperson.

They seem like associates but not as close as war buddies.
He's not invited to Birdperson's wedding either.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Gear Wars were related to, but not the same as the war Rick and his friends waged against the Federation. You see, during the Gear Wars,

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Lt. Danger posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jesus gently caress

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

The Gear Wars were related to, but not the same as the war Rick and his friends waged against the Federation. You see, during the Gear Wars,

Gears of War 4: The Gear Wars

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fister Roboto posted:

I would love to know if they have one of those "story bibles" that has all kinds of history and background for the universe they're in.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think that every war the gear people are ever in is called "The Gear Wars".

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
It's ironic, because the Gear Wars are never really about the gears.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm glad to see that Squanchy seems like a good, loyal, and decent person who just happens to party squanch real loving hard.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I guess I can unbookmark this thread since people keep talking about inane bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yodzilla posted:

I'm glad to see that Squanchy seems like a good, loyal, and decent person who just happens to party squanch real loving hard.

It made me feel a little bad about his having to take off the "Rick's BFF" bracelet. Squanchy was a stand-up guy.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Golem II posted:

I guess I can unbookmark this thread since people keep talking about inane bullshit.

Squanch off, then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Golem II posted:

Wait I haven't posted my fanfic yet.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Just Offscreen posted:

Jesus gently caress

gently caress you? No no no, gently caress me.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mavric posted:

It's ironic, because the Gear Wars are never really about the gears.

:eyepop: They were all about dat juice

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Golem II posted:

Don't let the door hit your squanch on the way out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Golem II posted:

poo poo no, please, we're really sorry. Please come back and give us another chance. Whatever you do, don't stop reading this thread, come on man, be cool.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

:shrug:

Rick checking out habitable planets and deciding that Cob World isn't safe isn't a non-sequitur. That's not what non-sequitur means.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

Much obliged!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I rewatched the S1 finale and just now heard Tammi talking about how much she likes bukkake. I find something new every time I watch an episode, it's great.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm just so tired of all these Gear Wars.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

Hey, save your Rick rules for the sheep-Ricks, Rick-pig.

Philip Rivers posted:

Rick checking out habitable planets and deciding that Cob World isn't safe isn't a non-sequitur. That's not what non-sequitur means.

Right, that was my whole point, its not a non-sequitur. :v:

Philip Rivers posted:

I rewatched the S1 finale and just now heard Tammi talking about how much she likes bukkake. I find something new every time I watch an episode, it's great.

Yep, that one caught me by surprise recently too. I wonder if it was like the quick line Rick says about Annie's "puffy vagina", which Harmon and Roiland said they added expecting the censors to take it out, but they didn't.

A lot of animated shows apparently toss in some stuff intentionally for the censors to cut, so they get to leave in the other jokes that censors would focus on if they didn't have racier stuff to distract them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 13, 2015

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, that one caught me by surprise recently too. I wonder if it was like the quick line Rick says about Annie's "puffy vagina", which Harmon and Roiland said they added expecting the censors to take it out, but they didn't.

A lot of animated shows apparently toss in some stuff intentionally for the censors to cut, so they get to leave in the other jokes that censors would focus on if they didn't have racier stuff to distract them.

Adult Swim generally has very lax content standards for its productions. I really doubt they run into many objections from the network. There's a 2012 interview with Eric Andre where he said one of the only notes he ever got from the network was that he could show himself making GBS threads so hard that his organs fell out, but could not seem like he was intentionally making GBS threads them out.

Edit: I found it. Apparently Adult Swim doesn't like him mocking Jesus or committing suicide either. Generally though, they don't seem to care.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nichael posted:

Adult Swim generally has very lax content standards for its productions. I really doubt they run into many objections from the network. There's a 2012 interview with Eric Andre where he said one of the only notes he ever got from the network was that he could show himself making GBS threads so hard that his organs fell out, but could not seem like he was intentionally making GBS threads them out.

Edit: I found it. Apparently Adult Swim doesn't like him mocking Jesus or committing suicide either. Generally though, they don't seem to care.

I saw an interview with Harmon where he said the President of Cartoon Network (or maybe it was just Adult Swim IDK) was a huge fan and pretty much went into the board room to fight for their rights to do whatever they want every day. He even called him like "the hero of the show" or "the savior of the show" or something like that.

But America also seems to be much more accepting of cartoons marketed to adults now than it did a decade ago.

• Locked thread