Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Toady posted:

the analysis of build's source confirms your suspicions about it

code:

if ((globalorientation&0x10) > 0) globalx1 = -globalx1, globaly1 = -globaly1, globalxpanning = -globalxpanning;
 if ((globalorientation&0x20) > 0) globalx2 = -globalx2, globaly2 = -globaly2, globalypanning = -globalypanning;
 globalx1 <<= globalxshift; globaly1 <<= globalxshift;
 globalx2 <<= globalyshift;  globaly2 <<= globalyshift;
 globalxpanning <<= globalxshift; globalypanning <<= globalyshift;
 globalxpanning += (((long)sec->ceilingxpanning)<<24);
 globalypanning += (((long)sec->ceilingypanning)<<24);
 globaly1 = (-globalx1-globaly1)*halfxdimen;
 globalx2 = (globalx2-globaly2)*halfxdimen;

that's decompiled object code though, isn't it? I'd expect something like that to be generated by (perhaps multiple layers of) macros that let you specify more semantically what you're trying to achieve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Barnyard Protein posted:

His wide-ranging Harry Potter fan fiction story Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality illustrates topics in cognitive science and rationality.[3]:37[14][15][16][17][18][19]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAGH

he makes a living at that you know

had you seriously not heard of the "Singularity InstituteMachine Intelligence Research Institute" before?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

people here are trying to create a programming language from scratch which expresses its semantics through XML syntax. so far they've basically recreated javascript but without methods, and their if statements don't support elses. the worst part is that the xml file is an intermediate output that they are generating based on the primary input source: an Excel file.

i'm trying to figure out if i should go through the effort to explain to mgmt why what they are doing is a bad thing to do. on the one hand it doesn't really affect me at the moment, and it seems to work. on the other hand they are using it to do testing against my product, and i've been asked to convert a tool i wrote to output their xml language instead of testfx calls.
i worked at a place that wrote tests in xml that would be parsed and autogenerate C# code that you could then run

the thought process is that it would let non-technical people be able to write and read tests

non-technical people never wrote or read those tests

writing and reading the tests also sucked

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

writing and reading tests is writing and reading code

using a bad dynamically typed programming language with extreme amounts of required boilerplate is not a good idea

unfortunately i've suffered the above twice so far

i'll probably wind up with a hat trick at another job

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also xml as a programming language is just atrociously re-invented lisp

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i'm sure you will be not surprised to learn that the test project constantly fails to build and almost no tests have been written because reasons. the main reason is that i refuse to let the test team instrument the project under test with their magic strings that they need to get their dumb framework to work and they are actively developing the framework and dumb language instead of testing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

suggest they use cucumber or fitnesse or some other bullshit dumb testing framework for non-technicals someone has already invented for them

at least they'll end up failing faster

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah unless your company is a company whose product is programming languages you probably shouldn't be loving around with making programming languages at work

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

can your non-technical people write and read lisp code?

no? then they certainly aren't going to be able to read an even more verbose homebrewn xml variant of it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah unless your company is a company whose product is programming languages you probably shouldn't be loving around with making programming languages at work

yeah i said "now we have two problems" to this manager, "lets use groovy instead, it is already a language that meets all of our current and future usecases" but i got some talk back about being on a common toolchain and testers need an easy format and my diffidence grew and grew until i nodded and left the meeting room.

i am going to do it. i am going to type a big long email and send it to the people backing this bad decision. a good buddy of mine who works at this company is experienced in these matters, he said its not as satisfying as i think it will be to point at an email and say "i told you so" when a project fails, but gosh.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

can your non-technical people write and read lisp code?

no? then they certainly aren't going to be able to read an even more verbose homebrewn xml variant of it

that is where the excel sheet comes in to play :shepicide:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

eschaton posted:

that's decompiled object code though, isn't it? I'd expect something like that to be generated by (perhaps multiple layers of) macros that let you specify more semantically what you're trying to achieve
it's cute that you would think that

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
found this decompiled object code in my computer

code:
8==D~

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

pepito sanchez posted:

found this decompiled object code in my computer

code:
8==D~

I didn't know you worked in Haskell?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

we had develop our own framework for unit tests, but as it's already established we work with bogus terrible languages from the 60s so we didn't really have a choice. Unit tests in C# are so beautiful and painless in comparison.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i don't understand how someone's first reaction to solving a problem is "well clearly no one else in the world has encountered this problem, much less provided a solution. time to create a solution from scratch using only the information i have in my head at this present moment".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's not what it is. Its "I haven't solved this problem yet, so time for me to solve it!" they don't want the existing solutions because they don't understand that that's not the problem they're supposed to be solving.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its probably the #1 way to tell a novice programmer from an experienced one.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
novice programmer: "oh boy, another fun problem for me to solve!"
experienced programmer: "oh boy, another problem for me to learn the api of the tool which already solves it :geno:"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's NIH syndrome

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

it's NIH syndrome

my employer has a terminal case.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qntm posted:

novice programmer: "oh boy, another fun problem for me to solve!"
experienced programmer: "oh boy, another problem for me to learn the api of the tool which already solves it :geno:"

maybe a new language is easier to deal with than the tool's api

and then the next guy will decide a new language is easier to deal with than your language

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Barnyard Protein posted:

i don't understand how someone's first reaction to solving a problem is "well clearly no one else in the world has encountered this problem, much less provided a solution. time to create a solution from scratch using only the information i have in my head at this present moment".

This would be a fair criticism if we used a non-joke language. Please tell me where to find all these awesome libraries for ANSI MUMPS. We have to DIY it because they literally don't exist. And yes, it is painful, but not as painful as trying to port millions of lines of code to a new platform.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This would be a fair criticism if we used a non-joke language. Please tell me where to find all these awesome libraries for ANSI MUMPS. We have to DIY it because they literally don't exist. And yes, it is painful, but not as painful as trying to port millions of lines of code to a new platform.

sorry i was self-centered-posting about about these bozo's i was talking about yesterday with their artinsinal xml testing language and didn't provide context in that last post.

yeah if you're using ANSI MUMPS you should be given a small bottle of fine scotch every morning and a voucher for scream therapy

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my job right now is to turn a home grown spreadsheet system into a sql/c#/asp.net thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
should be pretty easy.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

yeah, ive been given 3 months and i don't envision it should really take that long tbh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Awia posted:

home grown

mods

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

is there no way to interface it with code written in better languages? I mean science and finance have managed to reduce the amount of new code they have to write in fortran and cobol that way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if you really want to implement things yourself, find a young open source programming language on github and have at it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

fart simpson posted:

if you really want to implement things yourself, find a young open source programming language on github and have at it.

or just learn to love common lisp.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

jony neuemonic posted:

my employer has a terminal case.

A bunch of developers at Reuters came up with a new display format for time: 00:00:00:000:000:000, I cannot find a single instance on Google. Had to log a bug to change it to 00:00:00.000000000.

I can understand NIH for coding, but for absolutely everything? I guess one could joke about vernacular spelling issues of English as a foreign language of being that they are not allowed to reference a dictionary for correct spellings :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

is there no way to interface it with code written in better languages? I mean science and finance have managed to reduce the amount of new code they have to write in fortran and cobol that way

Not easily, no. The popular MUMPS implementation, Cache, is basically it's own runtime environment. While there are some rudimentary ways to get out into the hosting OS zthey don't actually comply with the ANSI standard and we have to avoid using them to maintain vendor neutrality.

Believe me, we've looked at a platform transition from many angles over the years, and there's just no feasible way to do it that wouldn't have a huge negative impact on our customers. We have organizations like Kaiser Permanente using our software, and it would cost them hundreds of millions to roll out a new infrastructure to support a platform migration.

That's just how enterprise software is. You accept some pain on the developer side to make things easy and cost effective for customers. In fact, it would be a terrible programmer move to force a platform migration to get access to better dev tools if it wasn't motivated by a genuine need on the client's part that can't be solved on the current platform.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

it was open sourced in the early 2000s. the engine is one ENGINE.C file with nearly 9000 lines and few comments. granted, he was a teenager

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

That's just how enterprise software is. You accept some pain on the developer side to make things easy and cost effective for customers. In fact, it would be a terrible programmer move to force a platform migration to get access to better dev tools if it wasn't motivated by a genuine need on the client's part that can't be solved on the current platform.

i think it was Avenging Dentist who coined "Stackholm syndrome"

he used to work at epic until he had a total breakdown and then got a much better job writting c++

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Not easily, no. The popular MUMPS implementation, Cache, is basically it's own runtime environment. While there are some rudimentary ways to get out into the hosting OS zthey don't actually comply with the ANSI standard and we have to avoid using them to maintain vendor neutrality.

Believe me, we've looked at a platform transition from many angles over the years, and there's just no feasible way to do it that wouldn't have a huge negative impact on our customers. We have organizations like Kaiser Permanente using our software, and it would cost them hundreds of millions to roll out a new infrastructure to support a platform migration.

go the other way, then, and bring the good languages to mumps. it works for javascript! what could possibly go wrong!

heck, give me just $10m and i'll do it for you, saving you time and your clients money

where by "it" i mean "get on the next flight to a country with a nice climate and no awkward extradition treaties"

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
MUMPS actually seems like a cool language that had what sounds like ORM, in '66!

quote:

Perhaps the most unusual aspect of the M language is the notion that the database is accessed through variables, rather than queries or retrievals.

Spiff up the syntax and spell the name in lower case and it could be the next web language.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

he used to work at epic until he had a total breakdown and then got a much better job writting c++

and now he's writing javascript

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Brain Candy posted:

i think it was Avenging Dentist who coined "Stackholm syndrome"

Yeah, he posts in the Madison thread with the rest of us. It's possible Epic will eventually break my spirit, but considering that my high school days involved gang fights and an extensive sealed record and I've managed to claw my way up to 75k a year with a poetry composition degree to my name, I'm p happy with Epic atm.

It pretty heavily depends on what area of the software you work on too. Some areas people just couldn't resist being "clever" with the language's features back in the day so you end up with garbage like a global with 17 subscript levels where the subscript names represent critical information about the data you're working with. Meanwhile other areas had developers who liked to keep things simple and it's all super readable and easy to maintain. I get the feeling AD didn't work on one of those.

"Stringly typed" is definitely all over the place in our code though. You don't really have a choice in MUMPS though. There's good and bad examples of all of it. Unfortunately there's not really any way to anonymize any of it to the point where I could share it here.

I do have to say, though, working in C in my intro to OSes class was pretty fun and I felt like a genius at the end of that course. I need to find ways to maintain my "real language" skills outside of work. At least we use C# for our newer frontend now.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Serious question but why? You like, seem to enjoy doing this.

Is it because you enjoy having to do terrible programming poo poo? Because yeah, I'm starting to feel like my future is maybe in fortran or something where inventing stupid DSLs is a good use of my time.

• Locked thread