Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I liked that in a recent interview some Ex-presidents came up, Stewart brought up that Jimmy is building homes for people, Clinton is removing worms from childrens feet in africa, and Bush is painting himself in the bathtub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Astro Nut posted:

Roy Wood is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

Otherwise though, one of the first times I've actually sat through an interview. I knew of Coates prior due to his associations with some of the people I follow on Twitter, as well as his recent placement as writer of the Black Panther comic, and though I don't directly follow him, he's demonstrated some fairly interesting and nuanced thoughts.

That's an understatement, he's probably the leading thinker on racial justice (or lack thereof) in America today.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
He's big enough that there's already a a small backlash against him. (Though I like him.)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

He's big enough that there's already a a small backlash against him. (Though I like him.)

You want to talk about an intellectual mismatch, idiot sportswriter Jason Whitlock has picked a fight with him, it's hilarious.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I liked that in a recent interview some Ex-presidents came up, Stewart brought up that Jimmy is building homes for people, Clinton is removing worms from childrens feet in africa, and Bush is painting himself in the bathtub.

He's giving back to the world in a real and tangible way.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

zakharov posted:

That's an understatement, he's probably the leading thinker on racial justice (or lack thereof) in America today.

That was probably lost on me, due to being British and not keeping as up to date on this stuff outside of what makes the news (and subsequently, gets mocked on stuff like the Daily Show). Interesting to learn though.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

zakharov posted:

I had to read this comment several times as well as a few of the responses before I realized you were referring to Coates and not Roy Wood Jr.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Larry's eating while interviewing a politician thing was mildly funny the first time, but I'm disappointed to see it becoming a thing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

At least he's got good taste.

http://defamer.gawker.com/trevor-noah-told-a-funny-joke-because-it-was-dave-chapp-1736361479

TL,DR: Trevor appears to have stolen a very old bit from Dave Chappelle.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Pillow Hat posted:

I had to read this comment several times as well as a few of the responses before I realized you were referring to Coates and not Roy Wood Jr.

Writing is hard. For example, I am not as good at writing as Ta-Nehisi Coates.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

At least he's got good taste.

http://defamer.gawker.com/trevor-noah-told-a-funny-joke-because-it-was-dave-chapp-1736361479

TL,DR: Trevor appears to have stolen a very old bit from Dave Chappelle.

Two black comedians talked about experiencing racism in the south. Such a rare thing thats its impossible to think two different people ever thought of it!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

Two black comedians talked about experiencing racism in the south. Such a rare thing thats its impossible to think two different people ever thought of it!

We've ALL experienced airplane peanuts, but none of us has ever gone on stage and said it after Seinfeld did.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sorry if this seems insensitive, but in my book, "or else" has a considerably more adverse connotation than "potential economic impact on a probably negligible scale".

And Roy Wood Jr. is amazing.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just watched last night's and tonight's show. "That's why white people write all the horror movies!" He's on fire.

Lewis Black's segment was even better. I legit laughed out loud at the snapchat and flute ninja parts. The Back In Black segment is always a treat. All of his stand-up specials are great too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Lewis Black is on? gently caress me, you've just convinced me I need to stay up and watch tonight's episode.

Edit: oh my gently caress, that was totally worth it. And now Richard Dawkins!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006
Really digging the new Daily Show, only started watching this week but so far really solid.

That Jessica Williams bit about Playboy being in the same position as conservatives was awesome, then I went and watched the previous episode and that Roy Wood Jr. bit was phenomenal. Has it been this good from the start or was it all over the place like The Nightly Show was?

Edit: Just watching the Rachel Maddow episode, holy poo poo Trevor has a perfect Australian accent.

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 14, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Woden posted:

Has it been this good from the start or was it all over the place like The Nightly Show was?

Personally, I've been impressed since the day they started. Perhaps others do not share my same opinion. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend watching the bias training piece. That's been my favorite segment so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIWolLM9i8

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Sorry if this seems insensitive, but in my book, "or else" has a considerably more adverse connotation than "potential economic impact on a probably negligible scale".

I mean there's also that whole slogan "no justice no peace" sooooo yeah. I don't see how you get anything else from that whole "or else" thing but man did that one lady getting off the metro want to go on about it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I mean, if you're demanding justice and are being categorically denied it, why take murder and mayhem off the table?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I mean, if you're demanding justice and are being categorically denied it, why take murder and mayhem off the table?

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, and I definitely don't think murder is okay, but mayhem is well within the realm of reasonable responses in my opinion.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am surprised by how little I miss Jon Stewart.
There, I said it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I agree with you, especially considering the culture in America of white people being perpetually terrified of anything black people say or do (although political slogans like "Take Our Country Back" are somehow totally acceptable).

IRQ posted:

I mean there's also that whole slogan "no justice no peace" sooooo yeah.

Well, that doesn't mean "justice or war," that means that the people in question can't be at peace (i.e. contentment) until they receive the same justice as everyone else.
I can understand not knowing how to interpret "justice or else" but that one is pretty clear cut; then again I didn't think "black lives matter" would be as confusing to white people as it is either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 14, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Woden posted:

That Jessica Williams bit about Playboy being in the same position as conservatives was awesome
When the gently caress did Jessica Williams start getting so drat hillarious? I was in stitches at this bit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

J-Willy has never not been hilarious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well, that doesn't mean "justice or war," that means that the people in question can't be at peace (i.e. contentment) until they receive the same justice as everyone else.
I can understand not knowing how to interpret "justice or else" but that one is pretty clear cut; then again I didn't think "black lives matter" would be as confusing to white people as it is either.

I always interpreted it as a threat of disrupting the peace, whether that's a march that fucks up traffic or a boycott (as it apparently was here) or riots.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drifter posted:

We've ALL experienced airplane peanuts, but none of us has ever gone on stage and said it after Seinfeld did.

I have actually. Just sayin'

raditts posted:

I agree with you, especially considering the culture in America of white people being perpetually terrified of anything black people say or do (although political slogans like "Take Our Country Back" are somehow totally acceptable).

Just watching the white people pearl clutch and poo poo themselves in that segment says it all.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Airborne Viking posted:

When the gently caress did Jessica Williams start getting so drat hillarious? I was in stitches at this bit.

Thinking back I'd say she had me won over within five of her bits. She started off rough but very quickly I became convinced she would have been the perfect new host for the Daily Show.

Apparently she thought otherwise.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

reignofevil posted:

Thinking back I'd say she had me won over within five of her bits. She started off rough but very quickly I became convinced she would have been the perfect new host for the Daily Show.

Apparently she thought otherwise.

I forget the context but I think her first bit was just her on a ruined highway screaming. Doesn't exactly give her much to work with.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

If you all haven't seen it, I thought the digital content about Chafee on Snapchat from TDS was actually pretty funny. Thanks, Baratunde!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Pillow Hat posted:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, and I definitely don't think murder is okay, but mayhem is well within the realm of reasonable responses in my opinion.

In negotiations you should always start by aiming high and then compromise from there.

Eg. Trade murder down to manslaughter in exchange for relaxed voter ID laws.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

mcbexx posted:

I am surprised by how little I miss Jon Stewart.
There, I said it.

Sad but true.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Tomero_the_Great posted:

In negotiations you should always start by aiming high and then compromise from there.

Eg. Trade murder down to manslaughter in exchange for relaxed voter ID laws.

That's giving away too much for too little. Be sensible, man! :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesse Ventura is a crazy man.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
drat, they're making this debate look kind of entertaining.

EDIT: CNN mockery. Trevor has settled in.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 15, 2015

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tom Hiddleson has the worst southern accent I have ever heard, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was kind of put on the spot and maybe can't just turn it on and off.

His real voice is shockingly masculine. Loki is kind of... adolescent comparatively.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Jesse Ventura is a crazy man.

This is hardly news, the man had a TV series where he sought the TRUTH behind :tinfoil:-level conspiracy theories like "mind control using the HAARP array" or "thermite paint used as part of the inside job to bring down the WTC"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That Democratic debate was great fodder for the show. All the Lincoln Chafey stuff was hilarious.

Genuinely sad that they went with the whole "but Bernie doesn't have a shot, we're all voting for Hilary" thing though. Even if it was a punchline, it just seems like more of that notion being hammered into the American public's brains :smith:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm hoping they'll unpack the contrast between Bernie and Hillary with economics some time in the next few episodes. I understand why they went with the "old man yelling" route for Bernie.

When it came to BLM, Larry went for mocking Webb's "All lives matter, but I once helped a black guy" answer. (Bernie actually had the best answer for that Tuesday. And O'Malley has the worst police record by far.)

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

Genuinely sad that they went with the whole "but Bernie doesn't have a shot, we're all voting for Hilary" thing though. Even if it was a punchline, it just seems like more of that notion being hammered into the American public's brains :smith:

I agree completely. :smithcloud:

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm hoping they'll unpack the contrast between Bernie and Hillary with economics some time in the next few episodes. I understand why they went with the "old man yelling" route for Bernie.

When it came to BLM, Larry went for mocking Webb's "All lives matter, but I once helped a black guy" answer. (Bernie actually had the best answer for that Tuesday. And O'Malley has the worst police record by far.)

Here's hoping. I was also super disappointed that Anderson Cooper didn't make HRC answer that question. What the hell? She's the one on stage I know as someone who said "All lives matter." Cooper really dropped the ball on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

raditts posted:

I'm glad that you somehow read "THE BLACKS are wrong for using a slogan that, in my opinion, could be construed as threatening more than economic boycott." into my post.

I'm not disagreeing with the choice of slogan, if anything, I'd be for one with a little more punch, I'm saying that pretending that suddenly, "or else" has never had a connotation more negative than economic boycott saying so is a racist, is kinda dumb.

• Locked thread